THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: tronnocon is serious business / yelley loves you  (Read 272462 times)

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time

tronnocon is serious business

hello forum friends

remember back in july '07 when i said hey guys, let's go to toronto for a giant qc webcest meeting? well now it is january and tronnocon/qcon is a little more than 5 months away! you guys didn't forget about it, did you?  i hope that some of you have been considering this and saving up money, because june will be here before you know it.

i'd like to think that we are reasonably close enough that people can honestly tell whether or not they will be able to come to tronnocon. keep in mind that it is best to buy plane tickets a few months in advance... i would recommend getting them in march or april! so get your taxes done early and spend your refunds on plane tickets. if you're planning on driving to toronto, please let me know somehow (pm, gabbly, stalk me in some other way) so that i can get an idea of what kind of vehicles will be available to us while we're in toronto. let me know what kind of car you have and how many people it can (legally) hold. decide on your driving routes and see who can carpool with you.

carpooling options:
pen is driving from boston. she can fit 4 people comfortably and 5 people legally. contact her via pm or whatever if you are interested in driving with her.
imboden is driving from durham. he can fit 3 other people in his car. contact him via pm or whatever if you are intersted in driving with him.

as for lodging, you probably know that i've decided to not try and find a hotel for everyone to stay in together. reserving a block of rooms would require me to take more responsibility than i'm willing to take for all of you. it will be up to you to find yourself accomodations in toronto. i highly recommend finding a roommate or two to help with the costs. it doesn't matter where you choose to stay, so stay where you can afford. here are some links to help you out:
<a href="http://www.torontotourism.com/Visitor/WhereToStay+>hotels in toronto[/url]
<a href="http://www.hostelworld.com/findabed.php?PHPSESSID=f286190aaf61a2a4821ba05853c6fe82>hostels in toronto[/url]
check with the discount sites like expedia and hotwire also... sometimes they have good rates. and of course there is always the option of begging someone for floorspace, but please keep in mind that there are some people coming from far away that will be spending some serious money on plane tickets for this. if you can afford a hotel or a hostel, then get one.

in summary:
  • tronnocon is soon. do something about it. save money, buy plane tickets, whatever.
  • figure out how you are getting there. try and do this before april.
  • figure out where you will stay. talk to people that are going and find a roommate.

necessary tronnocon disclaimer: this toronto meetup is organized by and for the members of the questionable content forums. this meetup is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by jeph jacques or any of the higher ups at QC. unless you count tommy a a higher up, in which case you are mistaken.

yelley loves you

a little over 3.5 years ago, i joined these forums for some reason that i really can't remember. now, as i make my 1000th post, i am reminded of what these forums and the people who post on them have meant to me. during times in my life when i was completely alone in places where nobody even understood my language, i have been able to find friends (and sometimes boyfriends...) here. i may not post often, and i may disappear from the forums/gabbly for long periods of time, but i know that whenever i come back these friends will still be here. some of you i have met in real life, but there are a great deal more of you that i would like to meet. for me, qcon won't just be about meeting a bunch of people i talk to on the internet sometimes, it will be about meeting people that helped me get through difficult times in my life. this is why i sincerely hope that many of you will come. this is a unique community we have here... and international community of people of varying ages and backgrounds that can still come together and discuss things in a civil (mostly civil) manner. i love you guys.

p.s. happy birthday ally <3

« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2008, 13:49 by yelley »
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Re: tronnocon is serious business / yelley loves you
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jan 2008, 09:12 »

I am coming to tronnocon.

I will be staying in a cheap hotel/hostel because planes are hella expensive. A roomate would help me immesurably.

Anyone want a roomate for it?

I am loveable, Scottish and house trained. Also if I snore I give you permission to hit me in the face.

I guess this thread should have a list of people who are coming to tronnocon in it. So get posting.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jan 2008, 09:24 »

I want to go but I:

a) do not have the money

b) am already hanging out with some of you fuckers in Boston (April)/California (July)

c) see a.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #3 on: 09 Jan 2008, 09:27 »

I am still planning on being there, but there is a remote chance I will be cruising the North Atlantic/Labrador Sea instead, meaning fuck this, I'm going to be a pirate instead.

I am not one of the hotel crowd since I'll crash with relations, but even if you don't get a block-booking, you should seriously coordinate and still get the same hotel. 'Going back to the hotel' is when all the late night hijinks happen.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jan 2008, 09:39 »

If I can find some way of getting my butt up to Toronto that is not out of my price range, I should be able to afford a ground floor, so I think your metaphor would work!

(But this may be difficult to save for, because I'm going to New York from March 25-29. So, uh, people should venture out over there as well, if interested.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jan 2008, 09:43 »

"I'm Tommydski, and thanks to the fact that I'm a sellout, I can afford to look down on you."

"You there, I'll give you a nickel to spit-shine my shoes!"

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #6 on: 09 Jan 2008, 09:44 »

I'm going and I'm absolutely terrified of heights, so one of the first 5 floors for me, thanks.  Needing a roommate though.  Singles are far too pricey.

Shane, I have no money either right now.  That's what tax returns and savings accounts are for!  Screw emergency funds, skip lunch a few times, etc.  Toronto is where all the cool people will be.  
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

pen

• Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #7 on: 09 Jan 2008, 09:52 »

Jon is coming, but he talks to the rest of you a bunch and I wasn't sure if he had made alternate plans already.  We haven't discussed it much, really.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jan 2008, 09:57 »

I'm going and I'm absolutely terrified of heights, so one of the first 5 floors for me, thanks.  Needing a roommate though.  Singles are far too pricey.

Shane, I have no money either right now.  That's what tax returns and savings accounts are for!

You know how we're all going to see Dropkick Murphys in March? Tax refund. I'm only getting a few hundy back this year.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jan 2008, 10:03 »

Arrange for a rich relative to have an accident.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #10 on: 09 Jan 2008, 10:09 »

I live three hours from Boston, Tommy! I go there maybe twice a year!

Also Oli, they settled the case of my great-aunt's will out of court. We got boooooned.

(it's only 6 shows, and three of them are in Lowell and Dorchester!)

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jan 2008, 10:30 »

Arrange for all living relatives to have an accident to ensure you don't get booooooned.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #12 on: 09 Jan 2008, 10:43 »

I will try my best, sir. I do want to hang out with you and uhm..

Poke fun at how many league positions Leeds are below Man United?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #13 on: 09 Jan 2008, 13:49 »

My being there depends solely on being able to road-trip the whole way, as plane tickets are too expensive for me. In the old thread I know Brittany was talking about going, but she hasn't been around here in a while so I don't know if she still wants to. If she does, the two of us will head out of Fargo and we'll probably want to spend the night in Chicago with someone to break up the driving. So if there's anyone in the midwest or along our projected route, you are welcome to join. I'm guessing we would be taking a car, but I think I'll have a bit of a discussion with her first.

The big problem for me is that I have to know if I'm going so that I can get a passport before then, which is one of the things that I'm worried about. I have a pretty overprotective mother (and father, I suppose), and I don't know how well they would take it if I told them I was going to road-trip to Canada, therefore needing to get a passport. So then I thought about not telling them, and going in secret, but I know for a fact that I would probably slip and tell a story, because I love to tell stories. That would be bad.

So basically whether or not I am attending is up in the air right now. It also hinges on whether I get a scholarship for my spring break trip, because if I don't that's a few hundred more dollars to come up with.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #14 on: 09 Jan 2008, 13:53 »

Fuck, I have to buy my plane tickets before my $200 Air Canada travel voucher expires.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #15 on: 09 Jan 2008, 14:51 »

Stay away from my city, you lunatics.
I like the way you work it.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #16 on: 09 Jan 2008, 15:55 »

So . . . what are the actual and specific dates for this?

Y'know, just in case.

Though god-damn is Canada an expensive country to fly to.
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2008, 17:20 by Inlander »

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #17 on: 09 Jan 2008, 17:51 »

Bloody hell, that looks cool.  :x

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #18 on: 09 Jan 2008, 17:51 »

What's the drinking age in Canadia?

öde

« Reply #19 on: 09 Jan 2008, 17:54 »

That's an odd age.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 09 Jan 2008, 18:20 »

Yelley was originally supposed to drive me, which means I probably won't be there.  Also, lack of money due to increase in car insurance.
Hey, this is extra insentive for Kieffer to be there.
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2008, 18:32 by Blue Kitty »

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #21 on: 09 Jan 2008, 19:21 »

I am going. After the decision weighing down upon me to go to Toronto or Paris, France I've chosen you guys, so you need to make it worth it damnit. I am roadtripping, and in fact I'm planning on creating my itinerary within the next week, which will purposely take me by a meandering path from Baltimore travelling north along the east Coast that will include NYC. Convince me why I should drive through your state and pick you up and odds are I will. I do need a roomate or two, and possibly a road companion. My car can legally carry five, but there's no way in hell we're fitting more than 3 people in that thing if we're taking any sort of luggage, but it will be available for more once we actually get there.

Thank god I have a passport, and I've been to about 3 SXSW music festivals, and I can wholeheartedly recommend Austin, TX for next year's event.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #22 on: 09 Jan 2008, 20:03 »

wow, umm. Thanks. I may or may not be drinking while I'm there, I haven't decided yet. Part of the whole strange place/don't want to wake up in an alley without pants or wallet, which oddly enough is why I'm not going to Paris, because at least here a lot more people will speaka language I'm fluent in.

Bonus: My iPod, after I figured out how to get it to work, has all of my music on it, all 1400 songs. Which means that there's more room in the car for things beside my CD cases.
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2008, 20:36 by Boro_Bandito »
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #23 on: 09 Jan 2008, 20:41 »

At this point, it doesn't look like money will be a problem for me, so it'll depend on me being able to get my passport in time, and figuring out a good way to explain my whereabouts for 3 days in June.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #24 on: 09 Jan 2008, 20:45 »

what are the actual and specific dates for this?

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #25 on: 09 Jan 2008, 20:48 »

quoting someone as per Facebook group:

"The meet is planned for Friday, June 20 through Monday, June 23, 2008. This is no longer tentative; nobody has debated this date with me so this is when it will be held."

I myself will probably be staying longer than this, or at least leaving very slowly.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #26 on: 09 Jan 2008, 21:31 »

(But this may be difficult to save for, because I'm going to New York from March 25-29. So, uh, people should venture out over there as well, if interested.)

Ooh, please do look me up. Or, PM me for my phone number or something if you'd like to meet up.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #27 on: 09 Jan 2008, 21:37 »

Harry, I would be thrilled if you came.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #28 on: 09 Jan 2008, 21:42 »

As of right now, I am jobless, so I am probably not coming.

However(!), I have some pretty good prospects. So maybe I will have the money for this come June. But my main job prospects are record stores, and I doubt I will be able to leave there with any money left, so yeah.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Maui

« Reply #29 on: 09 Jan 2008, 21:53 »

Depending on my work situation, at the very least i will come hang out for that saturday since i'm only a couple hours away.  I'm going to New Mexico at the end of May to visit my sister for a week and also taking the weekend before this off for a mt bike festival, sooo my boss will probably flip shit if i ask for 3 more days off.  Do we have any sort of specific outings or anything planned?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #30 on: 09 Jan 2008, 22:44 »

If you mean Canuckistan, it is 19.

Actually, it's 18 in Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec.

Since Saskatchewan borders AB and MB it is very common that youngsters turning 18 here over the summer will spend their first weekend of majority in another province.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #31 on: 10 Jan 2008, 05:14 »

Harry, I would be thrilled if you came.

James, I would cross the seas just to rub my fulsome beard on your smooth and shiny head.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #32 on: 10 Jan 2008, 06:35 »

harry, i really want you to come. let's have tea together if you do.

so far the only thing that is really planned is karaoke night at mike's place.
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #33 on: 10 Jan 2008, 06:50 »

Whoa. I do not see how anyone could not come now.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #34 on: 10 Jan 2008, 07:01 »

No amount of booze/sex will get me to sing karaoke.

Unless it were like..an Amon Amarth song. Or maybe a Larry Arms song. And even then it'd have to be "Hey, What Time Is 'Pensacola: Wings Of Gold' On, Anyway?".

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #35 on: 10 Jan 2008, 07:07 »

Know that if I come, IF I come, it will mean my personally contributing to Australia's crippling credit card debt. Can you have that on your consciences?

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #36 on: 10 Jan 2008, 07:18 »

This sounds pretty epic right here. Pretty lame that there's no way I could come.

It's OK Sam, we'll be jailbait together.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #37 on: 10 Jan 2008, 07:22 »

TorontoCon 2008: Your source for hot beard-on-bald action.

Spinless

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jan 2008, 07:32 »

I thought there was an apostrophe in there? T'Ronno?

pen

• Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #39 on: 10 Jan 2008, 07:47 »

Knowing I'd have been one of those douches who would have pronounced it the way it was spelled, I must thank you, Tommy. 

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #40 on: 10 Jan 2008, 07:59 »

Actually, outside of Toronto it's pronounced "Tr'Onna."

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #41 on: 10 Jan 2008, 08:17 »

Tania will literally only talk to you if you pat her on the head and then pinch her cheek whilst going "awww".

« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2008, 08:20 by Ballard »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #42 on: 10 Jan 2008, 08:40 »

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #43 on: 10 Jan 2008, 08:44 »

Know that if I come, IF I come, it will mean my personally contributing to Australia's crippling credit card debt. Can you have that on your consciences?

would it help if i bought the tea?

öde

« Reply #44 on: 10 Jan 2008, 10:25 »

Flights to Toronto, to me, are surprisingly cheap. If QCon ends up in aussieland next year like some people have been suggesting, I guess they won't be surprisingly cheap. Daaaaang iiiiit!

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #45 on: 10 Jan 2008, 10:28 »

no offense to any aussies here... but i wouldn't plan qcon 09 for australia. nobody would go to that, except maybe tommy since he has tons of money to spend on whatever.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #46 on: 10 Jan 2008, 10:38 »

really guys. qcon '09: yelley's living room!

i'll even buy the liquors.

öde

« Reply #47 on: 10 Jan 2008, 10:40 »

I say we save up to buy a QC castle or something.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #48 on: 10 Jan 2008, 10:50 »

Or the missle silo?

öde

« Reply #49 on: 10 Jan 2008, 10:55 »

They're practically the same things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Up