THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: tronnocon is serious business / yelley loves you  (Read 272488 times)

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
Re: tronnocon is serious business / yelley loves you
« Reply #50 on: 10 Jan 2008, 11:00 »

When I sell lots and lots of bus tickets to Toronto in the run of a day (man I hate working the greyhound machine, that is the worst computer ever, and I've got like a years experience in QA), I just kind of slur it to 'Taranta' really quick-like, with the last 't' almost silent.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #51 on: 10 Jan 2008, 11:15 »

really guys. qcon '09: yelley's living room!

i'll even buy the liquors.

If that's in Salinas I am so fucking there.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #52 on: 10 Jan 2008, 11:16 »

hells yes it is in salinas. by far the coolest city in california.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #53 on: 10 Jan 2008, 11:17 »

The only question is where the closest airport would be. It must be San Jose, right? I think that one's international...
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #54 on: 10 Jan 2008, 13:01 »

I vote Chicago for the next one. I could totally do that by myself.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #55 on: 10 Jan 2008, 13:13 »

A lot of you guys hate New York but agree that it'd be a rad place to hold it.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #56 on: 10 Jan 2008, 13:17 »

Fuck you guys. I will say "tuh-RON-toe" if I damn well please. I pronounce all my fucking Ts, thank you very much.

Guys, if any of you midwesterners want to road trip, it would make more sense for me to drive, since I was planning on it anyway. It is only 12 hours straight up from Atlanta to Chi-town, so this will be easy-peasy! I need money for gas if anyone wants to come. My car is a sedan (dunno what kind yet), so I am assuming I can fit comfortably 3 people, legally 4, other than myself, so long as no one brings their Hot Air Industrial Strength Hair Dryer along. Misconception? Dennis? Joe? Matt? Anyone from Chicago want a ride up?

Having a place where I deposit my shit would be nice, but I would like to get away without paying for lodgings, and since I have managed to get away with that thus far in my travels, except for Cons, and I would like it to not start now, especially since this is not a real Con. I hope you all understand this is a matter of principle. I guess if nothing crops up I can always just leave my shit in my car and pass out drunkenly on someone's couch somewhere.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #57 on: 10 Jan 2008, 13:24 »

Hmm, that makes it a little more likely that I will go, I think. Now I just need to worry about whether it's worth it enough to get a passport.
Liz is touching me.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #58 on: 10 Jan 2008, 14:49 »

what side of Canada is Toronto on? if it's on my side i'll drive up...if it's not then i won't.

...and if it's in the middle...i dunno...i'll him and haw about it and eventually decide not to go.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #59 on: 10 Jan 2008, 15:07 »

Well, you can get on a boat in Toronto and happily get out to the Atlantic. It's about the same longitude as Florida.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #60 on: 10 Jan 2008, 16:15 »

Did you know it costs more than $500 to fly what should be a 3 hour car ride?

That is a lot of money.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #61 on: 10 Jan 2008, 16:16 »

dude where are you I can come pick you up

maybe
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #62 on: 10 Jan 2008, 16:19 »

Is anyone else going to be traveling on a route passing northeast ohio?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #63 on: 10 Jan 2008, 16:22 »

Or southwest Ohio? Maybe?

I vote Chicago for the next one. I could totally do that by myself.

Chicago or New York would be hells of awesome for next year. Or a mini New York one this March! Eh? Eh? (Ballard, I will definitely PM you later when I get more details.)

:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #64 on: 10 Jan 2008, 16:23 »

Sounds good Linds. I will plan to make sure Huda doesn't freak out this time, and hopefully we can get Phil and Katie out. Tommy said he'd be here in the late winter/early spring but I'm not sure when.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #65 on: 10 Jan 2008, 16:32 »

dude where are you I can come pick you up

maybe

Nah, I was just looking up flights for funsies, I don't think I could successfully get past the "Hey Mom, I'm going to Tronno to meet up with people I know from the internets kthxbai" conversation.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #66 on: 10 Jan 2008, 16:45 »

The only question is where the closest airport would be. It must be San Jose, right? I think that one's international...

there's one in monterey... it's small and i think only does flights in from LA and phoenix though. so i guess san jose.
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #67 on: 10 Jan 2008, 16:50 »

IO, that's exactly what I said to my parents when I told them. Of course, I can get away with anything, I'm an eccentric. *halwghblaughubuhgah*

I'd be up for heading to New York again, but to make it worth it I'd need to go up Friday and stay the whole weekend, having to leave just when everyone else started to party was shitty. So I'm not sure when I'd be able to do that, though I'm sure there's a class or two somewhere that I'll be able to skip.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #68 on: 10 Jan 2008, 17:11 »

oh huh, flights to buffalo, ny have a much more decent cost. that airport is about two hours away from toronto, i think. would it be wise to fly to buffalo and then take a bus or something to toronto?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #69 on: 10 Jan 2008, 17:15 »

Well, I don't know the name of the place I'm staying, but I'll be there during the week. (Mar 25-29 is Tues through Sat.) But this is during my spring break, so I don't know if yours lines up with it or if it's the week before or after, which usually happens with other colleges around here. (Silly quarter system, messing up spring break being at the same time as everyone else. Also, I'll make another thread about this later, so we can stop cluttering up the Toronto thread.)

Ok, back to Torrono, or however you guys pronounce it. (I'm probably going to call it Toronto and the Canadians will think I'm an ass and I'll never be allowed to come back!)

As for people worried about passports, I thought they were relatively easy to get! But I did this in late summer a few years ago, so it was after peak season, but it did arrive earlier than I expected. And they are worth it, especially if you ever find yourself without a driver's license temporarily (such as when they are stolen)!
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2008, 17:18 by Linds »

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #70 on: 10 Jan 2008, 17:18 »

Me Katie? Because I will be in NYC March 7-9, and if I come to internet hangouts I will bring meatspace friends with me.

IO: Ok I am good at this. Have you been to summer camp or governor's honors or any place where you would be meeting people of mixed ages, social backgrounds, histories, etc? Some place your mom would not possibly be able to keep track of all the people you could potentially meet? That is where you met me. Or that I am the cousin of one of your friends or something and you met me that one time at his house or whatever.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #71 on: 10 Jan 2008, 17:24 »

Or you're a friend that moved away that never really hung out at your house, so your parents would never had the chance to meet them. Or in my case I actually said when I went to New York originally that they were friends from my hometown that I was meeting in NYC because they were going up there for a trip. For this trip I'm telling the truth though.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #72 on: 10 Jan 2008, 17:54 »

Oh shit Katie you will? Nice.

I meant the other Katie (KTkat). It'd be awesome to meet you too though!

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #73 on: 10 Jan 2008, 18:44 »

huh, I live there and I've always pronounced it "Tuhrohno" (flat o sound)  I guess it's pronounced pretty fast, but not quite "Tronno"  At least, not among the people I know.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2008, 18:47 by shadowsworn »
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #74 on: 10 Jan 2008, 18:46 »

In the interest of pleasing everyone, Rachel and I have discussed the matter and elected to have Shane sleep at the foot of our bed.

This, of course, means that he will be forced to dress as I see fit and fight Canadians and/or Joe Hocking at my personal whim, but them's the breaks.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #75 on: 10 Jan 2008, 20:35 »

Alright, so as far as route goes it looks like I'm going to be taking I-95 north through Delaware, New Jersey then up into New York City. From there I'm going to stick to 95 all the way up into New Haven Connecticut where I'll be switching over to 91 north, then transfer again onto 90 in Springfield Massacusetts and go all the way across the state of New York to Buffalo where I'll figure ou the details later.

This particular plan skips Pennsylvania but if someone who lives there needs to be picked up I could change 95 before New York into something else, because really my experience with I-95 and the New Jersey turnpike has been less than great, but I figure it's the most direct route.

So all in all anyone along this route who needs a ride or wants to hang out for any reason should PM me damnit. I'm going to get in contact with Huda and find out if she's going or not, so that means I've got one, possibly two spots in my car if she doesn't want to go/can't.

mooface

« Reply #76 on: 10 Jan 2008, 21:26 »

at the moment i can easily get a ticket for around $400 from charlotte to toronto.   however, i do not know yet whether i will be "allowed" to go back to the states this summer.

a ticket from rome to new york city is $500, so if i can join somebody's carpool then i may still come.  hopefully i will find out what is going on within the next few days so i can give a definite answer!

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #77 on: 11 Jan 2008, 05:28 »

$600 including tax for a flight from Boston... fucking hell.  I didn't really wanna drive the whole way, but it seems to be the best option.  Greyhound would take 17 hrs, apparently, due to all the stops, and I will not ride a bus for that long, no matter how cheap it is. 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #78 on: 11 Jan 2008, 05:30 »

If things turn out the way I really, really want them to I might actually be in Canada in June. Oh my gosh!

Also, we have a Tronno here (it is a dodgy suburb up the coast a bit) so I am pretty sure I could pronounce it right, albeit with a silly Aussie accent.

Actually sorry it is more pronounced "Tronnomaaaaaaaaate."

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #79 on: 11 Jan 2008, 07:25 »

$600 including tax for a flight from Boston... fucking hell.  I didn't really wanna drive the whole way, but it seems to be the best option.  Greyhound would take 17 hrs, apparently, due to all the stops, and I will not ride a bus for that long, no matter how cheap it is. 

FECKIN' ROAD TRIP!!!!!

(will call you tonight and plan stuff.)
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

pen

• Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #80 on: 11 Jan 2008, 07:32 »

It's only an 8 hour drive, without rest stops.  It would only be 17 hours on the bus due to all of the stops on the way to let people off.  I've driven worse trips.  8 hours isn't so bad.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #81 on: 11 Jan 2008, 07:39 »

MaiAda: Can you get to Atlanta? I am driving out I-20 to Birmingham and then up I-65 to Chicago.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #82 on: 11 Jan 2008, 07:50 »

Dang, that is such a long time to spend on the road.

You should consider making your stupid country a bit smaller.

QCon 2009: Vatican City!
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #83 on: 11 Jan 2008, 07:59 »

Up to Minnesota? Could you stop at Iowa? I rather like my home state, and with Minneapolis/St. Paul there are actually plenty of people living there. Also if you could keep North Dakota until I'm done with college, that would be nice.
Liz is touching me.

pen

• Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #84 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:01 »

If you cut Florida, where would all of our old people go?

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #85 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:03 »

It's okay, I'm gonna settle this by cutting off a few unnecessary states.

South Carolina? Cut. North Carolina, you stay.
Everything south of there on that coast - say goodbye. Louisiana, Florida, Alabama - all cut.

Much better already.

Fuck you.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #86 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:04 »

If you cut Florida, where would all of our old people go?

Arizona. Three of my great aunts/uncles moved out there after they retired.
Liz is touching me.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #87 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:05 »

Tommy, you just sliced a big hole where the Louisiana Purchase was.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #88 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:28 »

Hot damn, only $467 for a round-trip flight from ORD to YYZ. It's a short ass-flight, too - hour and a half. I think this is a 70% possibility for me. (If I can convince my parents to give me frequent flier miles for the ticket, it'll be even better.)

Once I figure things out with my flight in the next month or so, I'll start looking at hotels. Is there a preferred part of the city we're going to be staying in? I'd assume we'd all want to be within a relatively short radius of each other, especially those of us who won't have cars. (Not sure if I can rent a car - how does that work, internationally?)
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #89 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:41 »

You didn't cut Ohio why? I've never met someone who expressed interest in visiting this state, but that may be because most people I know are either from here or are here for college. (But you really should cut Arkansas. Drove through it to get to Texas and it was kind of boring.)

I don't mind spending time on a bus, so I may be looking into Greyhound. Edit: Hey, wow, 12 hour trip costing $45? Now if I can find a cheap hotel and people willing to room with me, this is looking like a good possibility!
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2008, 08:49 by Linds »

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #90 on: 11 Jan 2008, 09:56 »

You didn't cut Ohio why? I've never met someone who expressed interest in visiting this state, but that may be because most people I know are either from here or are here for college. (But you really should cut Arkansas. Drove through it to get to Texas and it was kind of boring.)

I don't mind spending time on a bus, so I may be looking into Greyhound. Edit: Hey, wow, 12 hour trip costing $45? Now if I can find a cheap hotel and people willing to room with me, this is looking like a good possibility!

Maybe if we get enough people to crash at the foot of Jon and Rachel's bed, they'll spring for extra beds!

Maui

« Reply #91 on: 11 Jan 2008, 10:24 »

Ruyi pointed it out before and i did in the last thread.  FLY INTO BUFFALO.  I will pick you up so long as you're not a terrorist.  I might be able to actually make the whole weekend of this now, woohoo.  I'll have my car there, legally and quasi comfortably fits 5.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #92 on: 11 Jan 2008, 10:29 »

It's okay, I'm gonna settle this by cutting off a few unnecessary states.
Honestly, would anyone actually miss Michigan? Thought not. Cut.

michigan is practically canada anyway. it's barely even connected to the rest of the US.

i am considering still flying into detroit and borrowing my parents' van for the weekend. would probably be cheaper anyway. i will look into this and then decide if i can make that a possibility for others (bryan, anyone else flying from the west coast).

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #93 on: 11 Jan 2008, 10:34 »

Van?

Yelley do this. We can stuff a lot of people into a van and make transportation around the city a little easier.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #94 on: 11 Jan 2008, 10:47 »

I feel this would only work if the van has a tape deck we could run a continuous loop of the Benny Hill theme on.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #95 on: 11 Jan 2008, 10:49 »

Nah dude. Twisted Sister.

25 of us stuffed into a van singing along to "I Wanna Rock"? Hell yes.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #96 on: 11 Jan 2008, 10:50 »

well... it is a minivan so there is not room for 25. and it may be hard to procure this vehicle from them... as they need it and all and would probably have to get a rental for the days i'd be gone.

p.s. the van has no tape deck.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #97 on: 11 Jan 2008, 10:51 »

If you did it right, you could fit 27 into the common minivan. 28 if we brought Huda along.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #98 on: 11 Jan 2008, 11:02 »

Ohio can be swapped for Minnesota I guess.

Minnesota did give us Husker Du and the Placemats!

Hells yes. Now you are thinking.
Liz is touching me.

imboden

• Not quite a lurker
    • Rantings and Ravings
« Reply #99 on: 11 Jan 2008, 11:28 »

I've already PM yelley this, but I'm posting this anyways...

I might be able to offer rides for people coming from Durham Region.  Cities/towns would include Bowmanville, Oshawa, Port Perry, Brooklyn, Whitby, Ajax/Pickering.  Car would be able to hold me +3 (maybe 4 if that 4th person is really skinny).  Do make a note as well, for those with smoking alergies, the car is smoked in (tobacco). 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31   Go Up