THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Pre-Tronnocon Meetup: Glasgaecon.  (Read 35328 times)

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Pre-Tronnocon Meetup: Glasgaecon.
« on: 10 Jan 2008, 17:15 »

Basically there are a few people who are going to be in the bonnie city of Glasgae, Scotland from Friday the 1st to Wednesday the 5th of March. Some are leaving earlier than that and I'll be here longer than that because I live here.

So if you're able to make it - even just for a day - you should come along.

Post in this thread if you're think you can make it/want to come.

I don't know what we'll get up tae but it'll probably involve drinking.  This could prove problematic for forumites under 18 depending where we go. The best option is my student union but under 18 year olds that aren't members won't get in after they start checking people at the door. I can also only sign a limited number of people in, but I have friends that'll be able to sign you in if we're too many. Post other suggestions.

I can't offer anyone a place to sleep because I stay in Uni halls and have already offered my very limited floor space to someone.

If you're coming PM me to get my mobile number before hand so that you don't get lost before meeting us.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you call Glasgae "Glasvegas" I'll probably have to bottle you.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2008, 17:18 by Oli »

Spinless

Re: Pre-Tronnocon Meetup: Glasgaecon.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2008, 17:21 »

Other suggestions? You're the only person under 18 likely to be there drinking, unless Dan comes, I think he's seventeen. How about a *real* bar? It can't be that hard to get one or two people smuggled into one.
I can almost certainly do this guys, but for how long depends on where I can stay. If I can crash on a floor or share a hotel room, that'd be fantastic.

I won't say which dates I can do this until the rest of you have. I don't want to miss the important people, see.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2008, 17:23 »

Getting in at GLA airport at 8pm, iirc, on March 1. I have to be at the airport at 10am on the 5th to catch a plane back to Londinium. My dates are finite because I am paying for this plane ticket. It is the second one in my whole life that I have paid for! Oh boy!

I think I am staying with Pickle maybe? I haven't really asked him yet but it was implied. Well, then again, I learned last time that he is not to be trusted with implicated lodgings, so I will ask him next time he is awake.

I am game for anything! I do not really care what we doooooo. (Drinking sounds pretty good to me!)
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2008, 17:25 »

Wish i had discovered this forum a long time ago. Then i might have known some of you well enough to go to this cause i stay near Oban which is only a 3 hour train journey to Glasgow.
Get off my land

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2008, 17:37 »

How about a *real* bar?

My student union is an excellent place. It's cheap, cheerful, there are plenty of pool tables, 2 bars open during the day 4 on a club/gig night, there's a place upstairs for cheap food and you can borrow a multitude of games (including scrabble, giant jenga, and connect 4) from behind the main bar.

There are plenty of other pubs we can go to that I, plus any other underagers who don't look like they are 15, will easily get into. Basically this is not a problem.

Spinless

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2008, 17:39 »

Yeah, but in your student union bar, I could have a great time talking to a girl only to find that
...that's a silly scenario Darryl, shut up.

LH, drop by anyway! It's not like we'll stab you, and as long as you're not an asshole, we'll enjoy your company. Actually, Pete is an asshole, and we like him, so I guess that you might get away with it too.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2008, 17:49 »

I'll actually have school and work (its an odd situation I'm in) to go to anyway. Should have thought about that before i posted. I am le fool
Get off my land

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2008, 18:45 »

This sounds feasible! I can fly in on the afternoon of the 1st and be gone by the afternoon of the 2nd.  I can either find somewhere cheap to stay or stay up all night. How would I tell my parents? "Bye mum!" "Where are you going?" "Glasgow" "WHAT?"

EDIT: actually it would be less lame of me to fly in on the 1st and stay till the 4th, that way I can actually meet people properly
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2008, 18:48 by öde »

mooface

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2008, 18:48 »

i am going to buy my ticket as soon as ryanair allows me to purchase a ticket for March 2nd.  i'll probably be there from february 29 - march 2.

if i can share a hotel room with someone or crash on somebody's floor that would be awesome because i am very poor!

Spinless

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2008, 18:49 »

Alright, I'll wait a little longer before confirming this, but I think maybe, from the 2nd to the 4th? 1st to the 3rd?

öde

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2008, 19:02 »

if i can share a hotel room with someone or crash on somebody's floor that would be awesome because i am very poor!

I would offer to share but I don't want Tommy to end diplomatic relations.

Spinless

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2008, 19:06 »

If it works out cheaper/I can afford a nice hotel, I'd split a room, sure.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2008, 19:07 »

I was gonna go for 1st to 3rd, if i can go, 'cause the flights on the weekend are dirt cheap. This way I get one 1p flight.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

öde

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2008, 19:57 »

And about £17.80 in taxes.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jan 2008, 23:01 »

guys we need to get as runk as I m no ww
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Peet

• Curry sauce
  • The Second Gabber
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2008, 02:09 »

This is A Thing I Am Interested In.

My most likely plan of attack would be either staying the nights of the saturday and sunday (1-3) or just the sunday (2-3) depending on when I have to be in university. Having said that, there is not much to do on sunday nights.

What does one do in Glasgow apart from get very drunk and pass out in a doorway, shouting barely intelligible insults at bypassers?
Quote from: Slick
I think Astaldo should be the next Dr. Who

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2008, 07:56 »

What does one do in Glasgow apart from get very drunk and pass out in a doorway, shouting barely intelligible insults at bypassers?

Go to the botanic gardens, they're very nice. There's also more art than you can shake an extremely large stick at in Glasgow (some of it in the botanic gardens), the Tramway often has very good stuff on and it's a really nice building.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

pickle

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.c-nic.org
« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:19 »

*dusts down qc forum account*

Errm yeah, hi! I live in Glasgow, Calenlass is invited to crash at mine.

Those looking for cheap accommodation and unable to find crash-space could stay at the Eurohostel. You won't find much else that's cheaper and it's very handily right in the city centre. Although the website is saying it's fully booked at the time in question, it might be worth giving them a call as the website isn't always correct.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #18 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:22 »

Hoorj pickle! <3

pickle

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.c-nic.org
« Reply #19 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:30 »

Oh yeah and also...

I presume, from the description, that Oli is talking about Glasgow University Union.

I'm a Strathclyde University student, so can sign people in to any union, but also, having been a student for over 7 years I know the door staff at Strathy Union so if there is not-too-large a group of us then I could most likely get not-quite-18-yr-olds into The Union as long as they behaved themselves.

öde

« Reply #20 on: 11 Jan 2008, 09:28 »

Those looking for cheap accommodation and unable to find crash-space could stay at the Eurohostel. You won't find much else that's cheaper and it's very handily right in the city centre. Although the website is saying it's fully booked at the time in question, it might be worth giving them a call as the website isn't always correct.

Yeah, I was looking at that, doesn't seem bad. There's a few other hostels which I'll take a look at.

Pickle, I am a good boy.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jan 2008, 10:25 »

I presume, from the description, that Oli is talking about Glasgow University Union.

The QMU. Our other union. The GUU is for rapists.

There's the cinema, the other cinema, various club nights or gigs (also there are free gigs on very often, not neccessarily good ones though) on every night, Kelvingrove museum and Kelvingrove art museum, the museum of modern art, if it's a nice day we could go sit in Kelvingrove park. It's pretty much like any other city. If you want to do touristy stuff then there's that too I guess.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan 2008, 14:30 »

I vote for museums. Like seriously, probably the best place to go in London is the British Museum. So I say Kelvingrove is good, and maybe the Kelvingrove Art Museum if we're in the mood for Serious Art Contemplation.

If we do touristy things and act like tourists I also vote that we keep it confined to one day. I think it could be really fun to take lots and lots of pictures and ask everyone we see for directions and get in the way of traffic and talk really loudly about things like how everyone is driving on the wrong side of the road ha ha, but that is a lot of work!

Edit: Oh also Gemm told me about EasyJet so I have bought cheaper tickets than I would have otherwise! Hooray! This means that I am getting into the Glasgae airport on the 1st at 8pm, and have to be at the airport to leave on the 5th at 3pm.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2008, 14:33 by calenlass »

öde

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jan 2008, 16:07 »

I'm still trying to think of excuses to tell my parents.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #24 on: 11 Jan 2008, 18:07 »

You are meeting us in Glasgae to go to museums and art galleries and generally have a fun weekend. What is there to excuse?

öde

« Reply #25 on: 11 Jan 2008, 18:49 »

It's my mum, what isn't there to excuse?

mooface

« Reply #26 on: 11 Jan 2008, 19:09 »

all flights from glasgow to rome on march 2 & 3 are completely full.  i would just fly back on the 4th, but it is midterms week.

i may still go, and stay from february 28th - march 1st.  i'm not sure, though.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #27 on: 11 Jan 2008, 21:56 »

This is the week before I get off for Easter. This is pretty much the exact worst time a fun thing could occur due to essays. GRRRR.

This does not mean I will not try to go.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #28 on: 12 Jan 2008, 02:57 »

all flights from glasgow to rome on march 2 & 3 are completely full.  i would just fly back on the 4th, but it is midterms week.

i may still go, and stay from february 28th - march 1st.  i'm not sure, though.

I- but- you- we wouldn't actually get to see each other this way! HLAUGBHLAUGBHLAUGB

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2008, 04:41 »

Do you remember that whole bit where I am extremely impatient?

mooface

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jan 2008, 10:08 »

last night i decided "fuck it, i will just get my ticket back for march 4th, and then make up some lie to my teachers if i have midterms that day."
this morning i got on the computer to buy my ticket... and all the tickets for march 4th are sold out too!  what the fuck!!!

i am buying my tickets for Feb. 28 - March 1st before they disappear/the price shoots up another $50.  sorry, katie :(

EDIT:  nevermind, i actually found a ticket for march 4!  then i couldn't pay for it because i only have an american express right now.
oh well, see you all at tronnocon :P
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2008, 10:19 by mooface »

Peet

• Curry sauce
  • The Second Gabber
« Reply #31 on: 12 Jan 2008, 15:41 »

Due to a slight money issue (banks!) i am not booking my tickets yet. I still plan on going though.
Quote from: Slick
I think Astaldo should be the next Dr. Who

öde

« Reply #32 on: 15 Jan 2008, 04:42 »

"Is it ok if I go to Glasgow for 5 days in March?" "I don't see why not."

I'm booking the flights a bit later, if anyone wants to share a room let me know asap!

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #33 on: 15 Jan 2008, 04:48 »

Hot shit yes!

öde

« Reply #34 on: 15 Jan 2008, 05:26 »

I shall whisk you away to a world of Lambrini and budget hotels.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #35 on: 15 Jan 2008, 10:31 »

So when I am on trips, generally with parents, because they pay for hotels while I crash on strangers' floors, I stay in places like the Super 8 Motel or Comfort Inn Suites or something like that, because the rooms are pretty cheap, and then you throw in the discount I get because they are somehow partners with my car insurance company. That discount is like 15% off the total or something.

I have never stayed in a hostel, though! (I won't be in glasgae, either.) What is it like!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #36 on: 15 Jan 2008, 11:10 »

I would go if my friends in Doune still lived in Doune. Damn them for moving to Yorkshire...
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

öde

« Reply #37 on: 15 Jan 2008, 14:09 »

The flights are so fucking booked.

I arrive at 5pm on the 1st and leave at 3:50pm on the 5th.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #38 on: 15 Jan 2008, 15:06 »

You should wait until I land at 7:45 and then we can have hot makeouts in the airport.

öde

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jan 2008, 15:14 »

All I can see is hot makeouts and your avatar.

It's distressing.

mooface

« Reply #40 on: 16 Jan 2008, 05:14 »

I have never stayed in a hostel, though! (I won't be in glasgae, either.) What is it like!

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #41 on: 16 Jan 2008, 05:23 »

What that photo doesn't show is the seven other people in the room, all snoring or farting or listening to loud head-phone music or coming in and out of the room constantly.

On the plus side, once you've spent a significant period of time staying in hostels, you'll never have trouble sleeping through disturbances at night ever again!

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #42 on: 16 Jan 2008, 06:16 »

They're also, y'know, cheap.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

ZJGent

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Night Talk at Harvey's
« Reply #43 on: 16 Jan 2008, 08:21 »

I'ma be there! on account of I'm hitching rides up. I am wearing my sleeping-bag coat on account of if I can't find a hostel?
[02:29] Danosaur: I'd Spektor your Regina.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #44 on: 16 Jan 2008, 08:53 »

Roddy are you still coming to the states next month. Also dude you and I are hanging out in London from the 5 to the 7, remember? I am not really sure how you are going to work both.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #45 on: 16 Jan 2008, 09:19 »

He's taking you with him, is my guess.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #46 on: 16 Jan 2008, 09:50 »

Or rather him with me, because I have already bought my plane tickets to and from Glasgae.

öde

« Reply #47 on: 16 Jan 2008, 15:56 »

Drick, I think me and Darryl are grabbing a three bed room in the hostel, you'd be more than welcome to split the cost with us. More than welcome.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #48 on: 16 Jan 2008, 16:06 »

Glasgae08:

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #49 on: 16 Jan 2008, 16:22 »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up