THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 16:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This Is Your Brain on Music - The Science of a Human Obsession  (Read 3984 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

http://www.amazon.com/This-Your-Brain-Music-Obsession/dp/0525949690

I got a paperback edition of this book as a Christmas/birthday present, and although I've just begun reading it I feel certain many of you may be interested in checking it out. Esp. those of you who, like most people in this world, enjoy music :P you don't have to have any prior knowledge of neuroscience or of music theory, but if you do, don't worry, it won't ruin anything for you.

If you like the subject matter, do give this book a try. The opening pages are a little dry and a little wishy-washy, but after that it really picks up. Levitin's experience as a scientist and as a musician really does a lot to make the writing v. enjoyable :) I'm a little worried by the size of the book (it's pretty short!), but so far it's been great, and the endorsements  (by eg. Oliver Sacks!) are reassuring...
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier

I randomly bought this a couple weeks ago. I'm going to read it soon. I'm curious :)

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor

The person who wrote this teaches a bunch of classes at my school.  I'm considering taking one this coming fall, and this book just happens to be required reading for it.

RaysOfDarkMatter

I just finished reading it, and I loved it. It was the first nonfiction book I've read in a while, which was a nice change of pace for me. I thought it was interesting, and while some of the terminology got to me and I have to admit I skimmed a few paragraphs every now and again, overall it was well worth the money spent on it. I learned tons of new things about the science behind music, and it's stuff that you can apply to life, assuming you listen to music. ^_^

I'd love to meet the author... I would recommend taking one of them! It seems like it would be interesting, if not outright fun.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

The person who wrote this teaches a bunch of classes at my school.  I'm considering taking one this coming fall, and this book just happens to be required reading for it.

McGill?

I just started reading it and so far it's really interesting.
Gonna comment more when I finish it
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor

Indeed, McGill.
Pages: [1]   Go Up