THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crazy house/flatmate?  (Read 17136 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Re: Crazy house/flatmate?
« Reply #50 on: 30 Jan 2008, 20:33 »

That was the worst thing, we didn't have a rice cooker, we just had a bunch of pots, and they'd be all crusty from dried-out rice.

BONUS: He tried to tell me I was 'wasting water' when I filled it up to soak it. It took all I had to not club him to death with the thing.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #51 on: 30 Jan 2008, 21:55 »

My best friend, who lives downstairs, just got rid of a terrible roommate who never did dishes.  She found it very annoying, but not as annoying as when he came home drunk and peed on the living room carpet.  She woke up to the sound of him peeing outside her bedroom door.  The scary thing is he was drunk enough he couldn't find/make it to the bathroom, but he drove himself home.   
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #52 on: 30 Jan 2008, 22:03 »

My old roommate used to make these lazy ass cheese sandwiches in the microwave all the time without a plate. He'd use waaaay too much of this really cheap government mass produced style cheese shit to make them and it'd ooze out all over the place and he'd never clean it up. By the time I'd get home from work and classes the stuff would be dried out and roughly as tough as bondo to remove from the microwave's turntable without soaking it for ages. I still get pissed off just thinking about it.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #53 on: 30 Jan 2008, 22:05 »

Kraft instant velveeta and shells. You basically gotta wash it the instant you're done eating it, because once it solidifies it's near-impossible to remove.

Both of my roommates and myself are rather messy people, and we leave dishes and shit out for long periods of time, with no real complaints because we're all just about equally as lazy. Every couple weeks my roommate's girlfriend comes and visits, and she always bitches about how dirty it is, and ends up doing all of our dishes and sweeping the floor and shit. We always tell her she doesn't have to do it, and that we'll get around to it eventually, but she always ends up cleaning up for us. I guess I can't really complain, saves me from doing it.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #54 on: 30 Jan 2008, 23:24 »

Yeah my last roommate was pretty cool about everything. We would let each other know when the other's trashcan was starting to smell off, but dishes and stuff got done when they got done.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #55 on: 31 Jan 2008, 00:17 »

Guys, this is the thread I was born to post in. I have been both the horrible insane  flatmate with massive drug problems and strange people coming around at 3 am trying to barter a stereo for speed before, as well as the hard done by flatmate, so I like to think I have pretty decent perspective on what makes a decent flatmate and what doesn't.

Man, borrowing money off your housemates is a pain. Lending your housemates money is a pain. Basically I try to avoid doing either unless someone offers to lend me the money for something communal, like to chip in on a pizza or to grab some beers down the pub while the landlord inspects everything. I refuse to lend money except in the same circumstances, or if I know a brother is really hurting, and as Jimmy says

I have a policy of never lending money unless i can afford to never get it back

This is good policy for a person to have.

The first house I lived in was a run down 4 bedroom place on top of another place. The bottom floor was sublet to a rather nice family who deserved better than the chaos that went on above them. The 4 bedrooms were each leased to a seperate person for 70 bucks a week, no bond, and water/electricity completely included. This was a very good deal for the time and place it was being offered, and as a result, the upstairs of the house wound up as kind of a beach for human driftwood. For the 8 months I lived there, the people I lived with were included but not limited to

- A huge football player type who kept leaving protein shakes around the place, as well as an impressive newspaper collection which if it was ever thrown out, or even tidied up, would send him into a psychosis, smashing furniture. I learned fast that it was simply not a good idea to leave anything that belonged to me out in the living room and eventually it was basically a few milkcrates and a bong, seeing as this guy stayed for my entire tenure in the house

- A speed dealer who was constantly out of state and offered me a cut to look after his stash while he was away. Little did I know that his clientèle were basically the worst of the worst. Eventually after the second week of having  strung out speed-heads turning up at my window at ridiculous hours of the morning I told the dude I couldn't look after his stuff anymore. For the next month after that I kept finding dog shit piled in front of the door of my room. We didn't even have a dog. I have no idea where he was getting this shit, but every morning I found dog shit he would be standing there, smiling at me.

- One guy who liked to steal cigarette lighters. Early on in the households life, we have a pretty good run of people. Newspaper man was yet to move in, and we had three of the rooms filled, one was me, the other were two good mates of mine I went to highschool with. We had a pretty communal house at the time and smoked a lot of weed, so we built up a pretty impressive collection of lighters in the lounge room, which still had couches and a coffee table at this point. Once this guy moved in, lighters started to disappear. He'd sit and have a session with us and when we'd finish there wouldn't be a lighter in the house. He only lived there for three weeks, but after he left, we looked under his mattress and there were about a hundred and fifty lighters of all shapes and sizes. I never got the point of that

Not to mention an exciting and colourful assortment of drug addicts, socially maligned goths, various drunks and punk kids who thought living in a somewhat dilapidated house without a bond was neat and meant they could punch out as many walls as they liked

The next place I moved in with a friend of mine who needed to rent out two of the bedrooms in the place he was renting at the moment. This is an excellent exercise in how not to conduct money matters amongst friends who live together, so pay attention kiddies.

He wanted to organize and promote a tour by a Sydney metal band who were looking to tour up here. He didn't have a lot of experience in promoting large gigs like this, god knows why they chose him. Anyway, the way this band (and presumably other bands) operated was they charged the promoter a fee (one thousand dollars in this case) and took a certain cut of the door. This left my friend needing to raise a thousand dollars, and I lent him 500. He eventually talked the band into performing with only that 500 up front and would pay them back the other 500 from his take on the door which he was sure to make.

So he puts on the show, and just barely makes enough to pay that extra 500 to the band and make the 500 dollars he needs to pay me back. So I figure, the dude put on a show, got some experience, he's not going to mind that he only broke even and I get that 500 bucks back right away, right?

Nope!

About a month later we are doing the shopping, which we always did as a household, as it works out cheaper, and he asks if he can borrow 25 bucks to cover the shopping for this week. I figure I can do that, 25 is not a lot to lend a housemate, especially for something they're going to consume anyway like communal food, so why not. Then I get my wallet out and realise he hasn't paid me back that 500 yet and I ask him what happened to it and it turns out he bought some new shit for his car and concert tickets and a bunch of superfluous shit. I foolishly lent him the 25 bucks for the shopping, which led to a year of constant hassle and cussing at this guy who was one of my best mates.

This was about a year and a half ago and we've smoothed it out and become mates again, but there is no way I would live with that dude ever again.

The house after that I was kind of the arsehole housemate. Not in a horrible way, and I blame Dovey for the major act of antagonism that lead to household tensions, but basically the long story short is I was living with a girl who owned her own  house, and she was working ridiculous hours to keep up the mortgage. Meanwhile the two other housemates were always at their boyfriend/girlfriends house, and only popped in to eat and basically make a mess. Meanwhile being blessed with a lot of spare time I picked up the slack for these two, and when I eventually got tired and stopped, everybody, including the relatively clean girl who I lived with jumped to the assumption that I had simply stopped cleaning up after myself and that I was responsible for all the mess in the house ever. I got yelled at a bunch about this, and then one night dovey was over visiting and we got hella drunk and in some sort of front balcony chillaxathon  I managed to damage one of the nice deckchairs and I basically had to leave a month or two after that because there was ice in her eyes

Once again, moved out, everythings fine now. Those sorts of tensions only exist when you're living in close quarters with someone.

Meanwhile, my latest flatmate is fantastic. She has lots of great furniture, loves my friends, doesn't mind my rampant drug abuse although she doesn't do them herself, likes a clean house and keeps it clean herself, and yet doesn't get on my case if I leave it a bit sloppy as long as I try to keep the common areas reasonably tidy. She shitkicked the phone people when they kept fucking us around on a wireless modem and got half off our first two phone bills as a result, and is constantly trying to set me up with her friends. She's rarely at home during the week, and I'm rarely at home during the weekends, so we only see each other sporadically at 6 am in the morning as I am coming home from work and she's leaving and basically at any point when we are home together we carry on conversations like regular human beings do.

I basically hit the jackpot.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2008, 00:23 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #56 on: 31 Jan 2008, 01:52 »

Guys you are making me feel bad. I haven't done any cleaning around here since Christmas. This includes washing up. To be fair though, neither has my brother and it's not as if I'm the only one making the mess. In fact, just five minutes ago I knocked over a three day old bottle of beer that was still half empty, off of my brother's bass amp that has been sitting in the middle of the entrance into the kitchen since last friday and broke a plate that was covered in dried out pasta from at least a week before. I don't drink so I'm not the one leaving bottles around the fucking flat. I am also the one that ends up doing the cooking and shopping and usually, the cleaning. I'm gonna go do two of those things now and the third tomorrow. Woo!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #57 on: 31 Jan 2008, 12:46 »

Man, living in a house where nobody really cares that much about keeping it tidy is a fucking paradise. It's largely dude-centric houses that tend to fall into that trap, but you meet a few ladies, some of them of surprisingly high birth and personal cleanliness, and then you unleash them into a share house and they're building forts out of old pizza boxes and building traps for the cat using the bacon that they left defrosting for too long as bait.

I am pretty malleable when it comes to cleaning. If theres one tidy person in the house I sort of evolve into their auxiliary helping hand against the onslaught and chaos, but if we're all just a bunch of slobs I am probably the worst out of all of them.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #58 on: 31 Jan 2008, 13:13 »

If everyone else is more of a slob than I am I will, for whatever reason, be tidier and slob less than I would otherwise. I find myself doing this at some of my friends' apartments, actually, especially when they start bitching and moaning about how messy it is and then toss dirty laundry in the middle of the living room floor on top of old pizza boxes and leave extra cables strewn about and never throw away garbage like dead batteries or bits of plastic wrapping or paper bags with half-eaten krispy kreme donuts in them and then complain about the roaches and how they can never find anything.

I miss my roommate from Vietnam. She was pretty cool.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #59 on: 31 Jan 2008, 16:14 »

West Virginia beckons

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #60 on: 31 Jan 2008, 16:42 »

It really shouldn't.

I'm a messy person, but not with anything food related. Food and dirty glasses can smell, attract bugs or at the very least can become tougher to clean the longer you leave it laying around. I've got notepads and pens and pencils strewn about everywhere but throwing away my drink containers isn't exactly difficult.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

öde

« Reply #61 on: 31 Jan 2008, 17:14 »

green, carpet-like substance covering it completely

That would be mold. Possibly unhealthy, possibly lethal.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #62 on: 31 Jan 2008, 18:24 »

we have no idea what to do about it
Don't do what the one kid did one summer when I worked at a camp. There were bats living in the rafters of our cabin, so at night bats would frequently be flying around inside, and this kid got so annoyed at one bat that he grabbed an oar (we worked on the lake) and whacked it out of the air as it flew by. He then pounded it into the floor. It was like being in a fucking horror movie.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #63 on: 31 Jan 2008, 18:26 »

A horror movie where someone does something really awful and largely unnecessary to a small animal because they are slightly annoyed? This feels familiar...
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #64 on: 31 Jan 2008, 18:41 »

I'm amazed he actually managed to hit it mid-flight. Those fuckers are quick!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #65 on: 31 Jan 2008, 18:50 »

Bear in mind it was also at night. There was an electric light, but this was a cabin in the middle of a camp, so we're talking like one 60 watt bulb.

thehollow

« Reply #66 on: 31 Jan 2008, 18:53 »

we have bats that fly around in the porch at our cabin. We smack em with tennis rackets which stuns them pretty good and then throw them outside. They come to pretty quick and fly away without any apparent injury.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #67 on: 31 Jan 2008, 19:07 »

Bear in mind it was also at night. There was an electric light, but this was a cabin in the middle of a camp, so we're talking like one 60 watt bulb.

...now I'm just amazed he didn't accidentally kill one of the other campers.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #68 on: 31 Jan 2008, 19:48 »

West Virginia beckons

fuck you Joe Hocking I know where you sleep

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #69 on: 31 Jan 2008, 21:34 »

I am pretty anal about leaving bowls and cups lying around just because there are a fuckton of ants in my house that only come out to gorge on that kind of shit and they're a massive pain in the arse to kill because when they turn up, they turn up en masse and just overrun everything, long after their targets have been removed and cleaned.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #70 on: 31 Jan 2008, 23:05 »

The house after that I was kind of the arsehole housemate. Not in a horrible way, and I blame Dovey for the major act of antagonism that lead to household tensions

Bitch what
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #71 on: 31 Jan 2008, 23:23 »

Man we gon' have a fight on our hands in this here thread.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

morca007

« Reply #72 on: 01 Feb 2008, 00:39 »

I need to invest in a crazier roommate so that I have funny stories.
Wait, maybe I'm the crazy one.
No, I think we're both pretty boring.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #73 on: 01 Feb 2008, 09:17 »

like mentioned in the "stupid things my friends have done" thread, i really love my housemates and everything but on most days i kind of feel like a parent in that i pretty much clean everything for them, all the time. a good rule to remember, actually, when choosing to live with other people is to NEVER have messy housemates if you are really obsessive about keeping things clean. this is somewhat self-explanatory; i get really anxious and unhappy whenever i'm in a messy area and end up cleaning said mess without thinking, regardless of whether or not i'm responsible. naturally my housemates have picked up on this and now have no incentive whatsoever to clean after themselves because they know someone else (me) will always end up doing it for them. it's not just a product of my ocd qualities, there have been times when i've refused to clean up after other people and the product has actually been serious long term maggot and mold problems.
the strange thing is i have never considered myself a "clean" person, but my current behavior says otherwise so i guess moving to guelph has actually changed me a lot. as much as it kills me to admit it, i'd probably at this point make a pretty good housewife. too bad about the university thing, i guess.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #74 on: 01 Feb 2008, 12:17 »

My first roomie was in a dorm room and she was nice. Really really nice. Very sweet and everything. For whatever reason I just couldn't stand being around her or hanging out with her. I think she just reminded me of how lacking of sweetness and innocence I was already in my freshman year of college.

My next roommate was more like me. Only, lacking of any cleaning skills, a backstabbing crazy bitch, and with the most annoying and drunken boyfriend I'd ever met. I knew she was the messiest and dirtiest girl I'd known due to the state of her single dorm room, and the lack of any noticeable floor before signing a lease with her. I simply kept all of my stuff in my room, kept my room clean, washed my own dishes when we shared an apartment together. It was when she started to ignore her pet ferret and mold started to grow out of her personal bathroom (which never worked because she cut her hair and dyed her hair in it and tried washing all of the above down the drain) in a horrible glump of black gunk, and then started telling our mutual friends that *I* was the messy one in the apartment, that I gave up on being pals.
She also got my hamster pregnant, but that is an entirely other story.

My current roomie is my fiance. It is SO nice living with someone who doesn't mind you walking around nakii at all hours of the day.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #75 on: 01 Feb 2008, 12:42 »

The house after that I was kind of the arsehole housemate. Not in a horrible way, and I blame Dovey for the major act of antagonism that lead to household tensions

Bitch what

Somehow it is all your fault I am a horrible drunk! This makes sense in my mind

Dogg when you come over for Porcupine Tree I think you are going to love my new apartment/flatmate, she doesn't seem to care how many chairs I break in a mad frenzy.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2008, 12:44 by Hat »

psyne

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #76 on: 01 Feb 2008, 13:37 »

My roommate right now is the best thing ever. I hated my old roommate when I lived in the dorms, though.
She:
-always played her music out loud, but got pissed at me when mine broke and I was listening to music out loud for about a week. She kept asking when I'd be getting new ones, in an annoyed tone.
-let her best friend move in, for pretty much the entirety of the two years we lived together, because he didn't like his randomly assigned roommate. It started out that he just crashed on the couch after staying over late, but then he started bringing over his clothes and books and laptop, got new sheets and a pillow for the couch, etc.
-would stay up playing Super Smash Brothers with him until all hours of the morning, with volume and the main overhead light of the room on, when I had early classes
-bitched about me not cleaning the area around my desk, despite the fact that none of my mess overflowed into shared areas, nothing was gross or smelly (mostly papers and cans), and we had both said going in that neither of us were really organized and agreed to just be as neat as possible in the shared area and otherwise whatever

And so on. But I think it taught me what kind of person I can't live with, that I can't share a bedroom, and that I need to be really open about problems from the start. My current roommate's last roommate was terrible too, so we agreed right away that we need to tell eachother ANY problems we have so we wouldn't let it stew and resent eachother. We were pretty good acquaintances when I moved in, and now after 9 months we're best friends and haven't had any problems.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up