Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eno  (Read 5777 times)

AnonymousNoob

Eno
« on: 15 Jan 2008, 01:32 »

There's been some serious eno activity in the mediafire thread and somebody asked for recommendations of old school eno bands, so instead of taking up tons of space in there I decided it would be easier to start a thread for some eno chat. So, down to the business of some essentials.

:-D :-D :-D

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Eno
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2008, 02:07 »

His production work was what made The Joshua Tree good, for me at least. A lot of people say he invented ambient music, and if that's indeed the case, well, he deserves to be venerated.

I'm sadly not as familiar with his solo work (or Roxy Music, for that matter) as I probably should be.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2008, 02:24 »

What Tommy said, also check out David Bowie's Berlin trilogy (Low, Heroes, Lodger) and Iggy Pop's The Idiot, where Eno was a contributor. As far as the Talking Heads+Eno stuff goes, Remain In Light is top priority.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2008, 03:00 »

Is this not an obvious joke thread?  A bad one at that, but obvious nonetheless.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2008, 03:12 »

Doesn't mean it can't be co-opted for the greater good. If we persuade just one person to get Remain in Light, then we've done some good here today.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2008, 03:39 »

With self-promotion like that, you're ready for the talk-show circuit m'boy!

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2008, 04:24 »

Friends don't let friends create joke threads without mentioning Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2008, 07:40 »

I don't care if you want Eno bands, but if you can only listen to one thing touched by Eno, make it Music For Airports.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2008, 08:14 »

A joke thread with a refference to Remain in light, is a good joke thread, no matter how obvious the joke.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2008, 08:19 »

Taking Tiger Mountain is the best Eno record, hands down. Such great tunes!
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2008, 08:33 »

I've only heard a little bit of the stuff he did with Robert Fripp on Evening Star.  I thought it was pretty damn gorgeous, though.

AnonymousNoob

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2008, 11:13 »

Doesn't mean it can't be co-opted for the greater good. If we persuade just one person to get Remain in Light, then we've done some good here today.

Everyone learn from this post.

bbqrocks

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2008, 12:13 »

I hope this is a joke, but what with the recent massive splintrifying of music recently I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

Unless you are referring to the English National Orchestra?

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2008, 12:29 »

This thread most likely was meant for discussion about Brian Eno! Take advantage of this!
It seems that the Emo thread was just inspiration for a 'witty' way to present the topic of discussion, like a joke!
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Beastmouth

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jan 2008, 16:14 »

Taking Tiger Mountain is the best Eno record, hands down. Such great tunes!
This.

Also, ain't none of y'all listened to any of John Cale's collaborations with the man?  His three mid-70s Island albums all had some Eno on there, and they're all great.  Of course, Cale was still producing those sessions.  And, from their duo album Wrong Way Up, 'Cordoba' is an absolutely astounding song.  An amazing favorite.
Quote from: Lao_Tse
The song that can be sung is not the great Song.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jan 2008, 16:31 »

I don't care if you want Eno bands, but if you can only listen to one thing touched by Eno, make it Music For Airports.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jan 2008, 21:49 »

I listened to...Here Come the Warm Jets and it was pretty good. 
I'd honestly like to learn more about his ambient work and stuff, particularly the sort of intellectual background, the sort of view of music that it comes out of.  One guy that used to teach at my school was a semi-significant serialist (or something 12-tone) composer who basically argued that music should not be something in the background or something that coexists with other activity, but should be distinct, challenging and pure.  Oddly enough the man wasn't even German, despite his tendency to make broad theoretical frameworks.  From what I understand that's pretty much the anti-Eno, and I'd kind of like to learn more about the debate, if you could call it that.

Also, any specific observations about his Rober Fripp collaboration?  'Cause that just sounds interesting.
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

Beastmouth

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2008, 08:21 »

I listened to...Here Come the Warm Jets and it was pretty good. 
I'd honestly like to learn more about his ambient work and stuff, particularly the sort of intellectual background, the sort of view of music that it comes out of.  One guy that used to teach at my school was a semi-significant serialist (or something 12-tone) composer who basically argued that music should not be something in the background or something that coexists with other activity, but should be distinct, challenging and pure.  Oddly enough the man wasn't even German, despite his tendency to make broad theoretical frameworks.  From what I understand that's pretty much the anti-Eno, and I'd kind of like to learn more about the debate, if you could call it that.

Also, any specific observations about his Rober Fripp collaboration?  'Cause that just sounds interesting.

The first public work of Eno's was his book, Music for Non-Musicians, about manipulating tapes, &c. 

Later, he was in an accident.  Motorcycle, I believe.  He was in the hospital for a long while, and someone brought him a record of Pachelbel's Canon in D.  With great effort, Eno was able to open the jacket, open the sleeve, put the record on the turntable, power up the amp, and drop the needle.  He forgot to turn up the volume before getting back in bed, tho.
So after the first couple blank grooves, he's lying down again, and here comes that stately old Canon.  I think.  He can barely hear it, the wind rustling the leaves outside is just as loud.  But they sound interesting together, so he forgives himself for forgetting the volume and accepts the music where it is. 

That's the inspiration, or the story I always heard, at least.
Quote from: Lao_Tse
The song that can be sung is not the great Song.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2008, 08:41 »

Also, that could partially explain the Brilliant B-Side of Discreet Music, Three Variations on the Canon in D Major by Johann Pachelbel. Discreet Music provides a great beginning point for all of Eno's ambient works that came later in his career. On the A-side, he has a quiet, reflective work based on running tapes through several different instruments, while the B-Side is a brilliant combination of great performers mixed with the production that Eno is so well known for.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus
Pages: [1]   Go Up