Looks good, but it's too pricey . .
- 31 (55.4%)
Mac's suck, yo!
- 22 (39.3%)
Undecided
- 2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macbook Air  (Read 22066 times)

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Re: Macbook Air
« Reply #50 on: 25 Jan 2008, 18:09 »

One usb port seems odd, you couldn't even power and external laptop drive off that...
Given the poor storage space it seems a bit futile but as has been said repeatedly, this is for the ultramobile and the ultrahip with too much money.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #51 on: 25 Jan 2008, 20:35 »

I'm just saying that if I had more money than brains I would definitely get one.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #52 on: 26 Jan 2008, 03:59 »

You can buy a usb hub thing which would solve the problem.
Get off my land

clockworkjames

• Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #53 on: 26 Jan 2008, 14:28 »

Also what is the cooling comprised of? I want to know this because if they can keep stuff cool in that I want them to make a desktop HSF with the same technology, I doubt they can beat my tuniq tower.

Also I just googled for some shots of open macs, it is modular, souless and the boards look like something I took out of an amstrad :(
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #54 on: 27 Jan 2008, 08:18 »

I would buy a Mac if they combined multitouch technology with this technology to effectively create a fully functional portable computer that's just a touch sensitive screen with a cover. Like some sort of unholy PDA/laptop hybrid.

Apple's been working on a tablet PC for the past couple years. I fully expect it to be mindblowing when they finally release it.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #55 on: 27 Jan 2008, 09:13 »

Apple's been working on a tablet PC for the past couple years. I fully expect it to be really fucking expensive when they finally release it.

Fix'd.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Spinless

« Reply #56 on: 27 Jan 2008, 09:49 »

What's the point of getting a tiny laptop if all the other stuff you need for it adds up to the mass taken up by a regular laptop in the first place?

With something this portable, what do you really *need* for it anyway? The only thing I can possibly think of is the disc drive to play DVDs with, but who takes DVDs out with them, expecting to find the time to watch them on a tiny laptop screen?
True, I have an iPod. True, I download a lot of movies with the intention of watching them on the bus. But I can spend up to 4 hours on a bus whenever I take one, so this is understandable.

I like the Macbook Air. It has one port, which is all I need to doc my iPod should I ever need to. Anything else I would possibly need is something that I wouldn't have if I was the type of person to use this laptop anyway.

rotham

« Reply #57 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:10 »

this computer is built for wi-fi capability more so than any specific market of consumer, no matter how they try to market it. i think that its capabilities with wi-fi are great, and i can only hope they'll incorporate that into their other models in the future. however, i just don't see how the overall losses justify the cost.

imo, anything external more than a usb key on this device completely makes the purchase of this computer to be unjustifiable, considering how they are marketing it.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2008, 11:12 by rotham »

rotham

« Reply #58 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:25 »

really, considering that the macbook line has never been particularly bulky in the first place, the argument regarding the portability of this notebook is completely moot against mac notebooks. if you were to compare the macbook air to pc laptops, you might have a valid argument.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #59 on: 27 Jan 2008, 18:51 »

Nah, it wouldn't. You still only get the same amount of power out of a hub as you do a single port so you couldn't power a portable drive off it, as far as I know anyway.
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #60 on: 27 Jan 2008, 20:46 »

I am fairly excited. I was just contacted about editing the school's video yearbook. Thusly, I get to spend one class period every day editing. And that's it, no other responsibilities but editing something the whole school will see.

The best part? The computer I'm editing on is a fresh out of the box Mac Pro. God damn is that thing spiffy.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #61 on: 27 Jan 2008, 20:50 »

Man. I was in charge of video yearbook for my High School. We used a fucking tape editor. This makes me feel old.

Then again, I also helped work on another school's and we were able to at least use Avid for that one.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

thebrosef

« Reply #62 on: 06 Feb 2008, 17:05 »

I guess I haven't been around mac users enough to really understand the raging prejudice expressed towards them on the majority of the internet. I got a macbook pro for use at college, and I really enjoy it. No, I can't play many games on it. However, I can write all my papers, surf the web, and edit photos just fine. Plus, for some reason, my professors are completely enamored with iMovie presentations over powerpoint presentations; don't ask me why. It is, overall, a pretty solid piece of equipment.

Also, why is a concern for aesthetics something to be ashamed of? Unless I am compromising all parts of the computer that are worth having (which clearly I am not), then I don't see too much of a problem. I like the way that the macbooks look. Actually I like them enough that I endure the commentary of passersby. You guys and ladies would apparently be pretty surprised at the amount of comments that are "Oh, you have a macbook. Did you get it because it's shiny?" instead of, "Hey that's a nice looking laptop." Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't buy my laptop so that other people could enjoy the way it looks, I bought it for functionality. The fact that I find it visually pleasing is just a bonus. But generally (this word here is key) people who dislike macs are PC users, so the most common reaction that I receive, ironically, is that because I own a mac I must be a douche bag of epic proportions. Not that of a young wealthy hipster who is probably into design and maybe programming. Not that those two things are mutually exclusive. Maybe I just don't look like a wealthy hipster.

Now, as far as the macbook air is concerned, I can see it being extremely marketable to a very small demographic. For instance, my dad spends a lot of time on the road (or more likely in the sky, on a plane) for business trips. He has a small laptop (probably a dell but I could be wrong... Toshiba perhaps?) that he has removed the disc drive from and added an extra battery to. It is the smallest laptop that he could find. He got it because it is small. But my dad is also really into photography, and is constantly annoyed at the amount of time he spends editing his photos. (On a side note, this is probably partly because I consistently taunt him based on the speed I can edit photos on my Mac) I think the Macbook Air would be a pretty good fit for a man who does this much traveling. He literally uses his computer for making powerpoints and editing photos. That's it.

The amount of hate towards macs seems to me about as backwards as buying one to play games on. Although, I will definitely agree with the opinion that the Ads they have on TV unnecessarily point out the differences between macs and PCs while being completely biased, and often times making me want to hangout with the easygoing PC guy who doesn't care that he is being ripped on instead of the overly aggressive mac dude who secretly pisses me off even though I've seen a couple of his movies that I really enjoyed "Accepted" was one that had some funny parts I guess longest run-on ever.

mortideus

« Reply #63 on: 07 Feb 2008, 12:40 »

Like Catfish_Man stated earlier, Mac OS X was built off of the Mach kernel, and FreeBSD (not so much NetBSD, though there is traces).  You can, even though there is laws against it, see some traces of linux coding in it as well.  I imagine that the Mac OS X interface was influenced by XFCE and Compiz.  Not saying that they actually stole from linux, just influenced by it.

The layer between the *nix based, and what we see to be OS X is actually Steve Job's old company's OS, NEXT Software.  It is a  modified version of it, but it is the base of Mac OS X.

As for uses of Macs, there are plenty.  This is odd coming from me since I grew up a Mac hater, always using FreeBSD and Gentoo Linux.  However, as of the release of OS X, I have become somewhat of a fan.  It is a wonderful programming environment, and what I'd like to call a "stable *nix distro".  As for gaming, if you use BootCamp with Windows, its one of the better gaming machines I've seen.  Part because It's good hardware, and part because Apple actually took a decent amount of effort into makeing really stable Windows drivers.

Mac OS X, and just Apple machines in general are becoming very useful machines.

As for the MacBook Air, I'm not a big fan.  Not enough power for gaming, and with its processor, wouldnt be able to compile in the time I want it to, nor run with the power I need.  Nice for casual users though. (Yes, who have 1800 laying around.. (for the post below me))
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2008, 20:48 by mortideus »

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #64 on: 07 Feb 2008, 19:47 »

Casual users who have 1800 bucks just lying around.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Blank_Jebus

« Reply #65 on: 07 Feb 2008, 21:25 »

yea see the macs are good for video/photo editing and design stuff but i'm a gamer and i like my game support, so i stick with windows...

as far as the air goes...i would only get it, assuming i ever wanna spend that much on a computer, is for the extreme amount of sex appeal i would get from it....i would open the folder that it comes in and sex appeal would just pour out everywhere....

i'm sick of those mac vs pc commercials also, i would like to see one where all the versions of vista come and just beat the crap out of mac, it would be funny...don't get my wrong i don't have anything against macs, i'm just saying what goes around comes around...

OnewingedAngel

« Reply #66 on: 08 Feb 2008, 07:46 »

The air, frankly, is crap. You have to buy an optical drive for it. If for some ungodly reason you use more than one usb connection, you have to buy a hub. If you can't connect to a wireless network, you have to buy and external ethernet adaptor to plug into your hub that has your optical drive, 10 key and possibly mouse attached.
Apple should just tack on another $500 and give you all that "extra" necessities.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #67 on: 08 Feb 2008, 22:24 »

Macs have a lot of cool features, particularly if you're into photography and recording music (both of which apply to me,) but I don't understand the hooplah about Apple in general. All the company does it take technology and dumb it down as far as possible, as if they think the general populace is too stupid to understand how to work things otherwise. It's always seemed kind of pretentious to me. It worked extremely well for the iPod, but I don't want to be treated like an incompetent with every product they come out with.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Spinless

« Reply #68 on: 09 Feb 2008, 03:35 »

I do.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #69 on: 09 Feb 2008, 09:34 »

That's the thing though.
Macs don't 'dumb' down the product. All of the advanced features are still there for people who want them.
They aren't easier to use because of the pretentious degrading of technology, they're easier to use because they organize everything.
Macs can be compared to the little kid whose thrown away all of his childish toys and finally cleaned his room, and he keeps it that way. He knows where his shit is and can operate a lot better because of it. Windows can't even find his socks sometimes.

I'm not trying to say that Macs are better, because Windows kid can still find cool shit lying around, but Mac kid is more responsible. That's his appeal. Most mommies and daddies will applaud him.
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2008, 09:36 by MusicScribbles »
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #70 on: 09 Feb 2008, 10:39 »

Haha, what would Linux be in this analogy? The kid that does whatever the hell he wants to his room?
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

MusicScribbles

• John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #71 on: 09 Feb 2008, 12:31 »

Linux is the kid with a massive fetish for buying Legos and K'Nex (remember those?) who throws away all of the instructions and builds shit until he learns how to weld.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

usmcnavgeek

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Digital, baby.
    • Overdesigned
« Reply #72 on: 10 Feb 2008, 19:38 »

What turns me off on the Air is that while it's thin and light, it's still BIG.  Anyways touched on this earlier; it's almost as big as a Macbook Pro when it comes to width and length, so the only thing you do is sacrifice stuff to make it really really thin.  And it's cool, don't get me wrong; the consumer electronics whore in me loves it.  But to me it's just not a practical 'ultraportable' laptop; you still have to put it in a bag.

Sooo, that brings me to my contender: my Asus EeePC.  26.5cm x 16.5cm x 3.5cm (at it's thickest) and 1.9 pounds.  THAT is an ultraportable laptop.  It's the size of a trade paperback book.  And it specs out well enough for an admitted ultraportable: 7" 800x480 display, 4GB SSD, 900mhz (underclocked to 630mhz) Celeron ULV, 512mb (upgradeable to 2GB) RAM, 3x USB, 1x SDHC, 802.11b/g, ethernet, VGA-out, integrated webcam.

Oh yeah, and it costs $400.  They have $300 (2GB SSD, smaller battery, no camera) and $500 (8GB SSD) variants, as well.  Comes with a custom Linux flavor on it, but I nuked it and loaded a nLite-ed XP install off a thumbdrive and I have about 2.5GB of HD free for use, and I still have the SDHC slot empty.  And I gotta tell you, the 22 seconds from 'push power butan' to 'windows desktop up and running' is pretty slick.

Anyway enough yammering and thread hijacking from me.

danb

« Reply #73 on: 10 Feb 2008, 19:45 »

Those of you wondering what the deal is with this machine, or those of you wondering with the deal is with the wonderers, might enjoy Mac developer Wil Shipley's rant (NSFW title).

caseyyano

« Reply #74 on: 10 Feb 2008, 19:54 »

It's light and thin. There's nothing to hate about it except the price; which doesn't matter if you're shitting diamonds.
Like Apple always does, they will slowly upgrade it, lower the price, and laugh at the idiots who bought their product when it first came out.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #75 on: 10 Feb 2008, 20:25 »

I've decided that I would give my left nut for an EEE PC....

dennis

• A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #76 on: 11 Feb 2008, 00:04 »

I went into the apple store the other day to buy a keyboard cover for my macbook and i saw the funniest thing:

if you plug a usb device into the Air, it's actually thicker than the Air, so the Air doesn't sit flat.

OnewingedAngel

« Reply #77 on: 12 Feb 2008, 07:43 »

I noticed that. You actually have to sit your laptop off the edge of whatever it's sitting on to plug in a usb or headset.

Alexie

« Reply #78 on: 14 Feb 2008, 15:46 »

My bestfriend has it, so I know this computer and I have to say that... It's the same.
There are still people to say "wouaaaaaaaaah it's a beautiful computer ! and easy to use !" etc.
And people to say "Bah. It's just a computer. It looks good but it's just a computer."
Most of the time I'm in the first category. Mac VS PC.. fight ! I'm tired about that at the end. Of course it's a very good machine but of course it's expensive, of course it's beautiful, of course it must be useless if you don't make a lot of things with a computer like programs, designs or something else... That's just my feeling ; everything has been already said and a new Mac doesn't change the game. It's not the Revolution I'm waiting for. :(

shortystylee

« Reply #79 on: 15 Feb 2008, 06:49 »

Sooo, that brings me to my contender: my Asus EeePC.
Oh yeah, and it costs $400. 

Agrees (edited a bit out so the post isn't huge.

I got my ePC just yesterday and I'm pretty much in love with it (and the fact that its pink is a plus).
Like the AIr it has no disk drive, but honestly almost every program I get is off the internet anyways, and its not like I can't use an external one if need be.

It can't store much (esp. pics/video) but I don't really need to take everything with me all the time, and the keyboard is not that hard to get used to. I'm also pumped about being able to take it to class with me to take notes for grad school in the fall, and not have it make that whirring noise all my other laptops did.

The simple desktop it comes with is annoying, I'll probably put Ubuntu on it this weekend.

Haha, what would Linux be in this analogy? The kid that does whatever the hell he wants to his room?

I knew I'd come up in this analogy eventually.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #80 on: 15 Feb 2008, 06:53 »

The Eee PCs are tiny! It's ridiculous! I eat sandwiches larger than those things!
As a long time mac user, I certainly wish that I had an Eee PC in addition to my mac, as portability has always been an issue for me.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #81 on: 17 Feb 2008, 21:44 »

but more peopele accessing your junk one way or another which is easier to do with a pc connected wirelessly or by usb modem.

I would love it if someone would wirelessly access my junk.  :lol:

Sorry, it had to be done.

That said, I'm not a Mac fan, and this one, while pretty, doesn't do it for me. 
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #82 on: 18 Feb 2008, 05:36 »

With something this portable, what do you really *need* for it anyway? The only thing I can possibly think of is the disc drive to play DVDs with, but who takes DVDs out with them, expecting to find the time to watch them on a tiny laptop screen?

I do this with my Vaio. But only sometimes, because I have, like, 20 full length films on my Archos 605.

I am less opposed to portable macs than I am to desktops, because any laptop is going to have a lot of the issues with being fucking difficult to upgrade or repair that your standard mac has. However, I do have issues with computers that I could accidentally inhale. I'm also guessing this thing breaks when you look at it. If I was rich, I would make a satirical thing, where I compare the performance of my laptop with this thing, then, if it wins, I just hit it with laptop, cackling insanely as the titanium case smashes its flimsy components. Then I would put my computer down next to the wreckage with 'HA HA' written on the screen.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #83 on: 19 Feb 2008, 11:07 »

De-railing the thread for a moment.

That's certainly true. I just sort of resent Apple on principle these days (a rare and fantastic phenomenon, I know) I remember when Macs came with some pretty cool games, Spectre and the like. And I played Warlords from a floppy disc.

And if I really wanted to impress people, I'd show them my high school press pass, signed by Al Jourgensen. Oh yeah.

Remember Cro-Mag Rally?
and the dinosaur game?
and the bug game?

those were awesome. Whatever happened to those?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #84 on: 19 Feb 2008, 12:03 »

To be honest I was hoping that Apple would do something like the Eee, but I was clearly setting myself up for disappointment there. I guess Apple's Eee is the iPhone.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up