THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 10:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guys I think my hard drive is crashing... again  (Read 2434 times)

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!

For those who do not know: I am running a macbook with OS 10.4.8 (didn't have a hundred bucks for leopard) with 512 megs of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. It's got 55.57 GB capacity on the hard drive, and right now 38.58 are free. It is just over a year old and has a 1.83 Hz Intel Duo processor. Its name is Gimlorian.

Everything freezes. Sometimes it is all at once, and other times it is where one app will bring up the whirling pizza of doom and then the rest behind it will freeze up too. I have repaired all the disk permissions, and there is nothing in the console logs to say it is anything else. I did a clean install after backing all my shit up on my external and it is still doing it. I think the icing on the cake is when Finder froze just now and I went to force relaunch and the command-alt-esc window itself froze.

Is there anything else, anything at all, that it could possibly be? I really do not want to do this again*, especially now that I've got two papers due in the next week. Also I really like my macbook and I do not want to have to replace it, particularly seeing as how I couldn't possibly afford it anyway.

*August 2006 saw an epic 3-in-a-row crashes of my iBook g4. Each time the hard drive was replaced, and each time it failed again. No one ever figured out why it died the first time, although a friend suspects a faulty logicboard, or any of the subsequent times. I didn't have an external with me at school, either, so that means of course that I lost several years' worth of documents and music.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Teh Geek Lord

• Furry furrier
  • Well, that didn't go as planned
Re: Guys I think my hard drive is crashing... again
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2008, 17:24 »

I hate to say it, but it sounds like its either a motherboard port issue, or a dead drive...I know the Os's are different but the guts are similar, Do you know if the drive is SATA or EIDE?

I would back up your date (if possible) and clean sweap and reinstall OS (whatever it is you use).  If that does not work, I'd think about having the motherboard port IDE/SATA port looked at, it may be possible, but I do not know macbooks well, to re solder a new port to the mobo.  I've done it with a VGA out put...But I think HDD ports are not soldered (I can't remember if they are) but if so that might be a solution (a risky one).  But it sounds like the drive is dead, or dying, or in a best case has some dead sectors on it (does it crass when you access certain programs?)

I would suggest identidfying your Hard drive type and swapping out and seeing if it works, I'm not sure, but does Notrons Ghost work for MAC?  If so Ghost or Image the HDD and apply it to the new isntalled Hdd...

They are ideas, but Unless I am there to diagnose, I can only speculate, sorry If none of the above work out for ya :|

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2008, 17:50 »

It's probably because of your horrible, horrible avatar.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2008, 17:54 »

It's probably because of your awesome avatar.

Fix'd.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2008, 18:05 »

Sorry, that's what I meant to say

Horrible and awesome
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2008, 08:38 »

My computer is currently having trouble again, and I just hope it isn't the hard drive, because damnit I just replaced that thing.  What I was able to do is borrow a friend's external and use a few gigs he had lying around to back my data up--I hope he hasn't deleted it, because I might need to use it again.

So yeah, borrowing friend's hard drives is my recomendation.  A lot of externals are so huge you'd have to be fairly miserly about your data not to lend space to a friend in need, if you ask me.
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

Teh Geek Lord

• Furry furrier
  • Well, that didn't go as planned
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2008, 09:45 »

If you have a desktop, its possible to Boot and run off of an external drive, but beware that USB, firewire will both have long load times for apps and games, if you have an E-sata port, it wll be like the hard drive is in your PC.  But this is a laptop, you could jury-rig an external to it and boot and run from that as a temporary fix, but since its a macbook chances are your relegated to USB or firewire ports
Pages: [1]   Go Up