THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copying Questionable Content to my computer  (Read 7503 times)

trc202

Copying Questionable Content to my computer
« on: 08 Mar 2008, 20:15 »

Is there any way to back up questionable content with out going through all of the pictures and saving them individually i would be happy to use an automatic program if someone would point me in the right direction please.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
Re: Copying Questionable Content to my computer
« Reply #1 on: 08 Mar 2008, 21:54 »

I don't think Jeph would appreciate such a bandwidth hit, especially if you deep-link the files without accessing the pages (thus, not adding to the ol' "advertisement hit" odometer or advertising income). That is, if he's okay with people doing that in the first place.

The fair way to go about it would be to go to every page, saving every file manually.

Really, thanks to the way the comic engine works, it's not all that hard to come up with something, but to be on the safe side I can't say any more than that. Sorry. :|
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2008, 21:57 by bicostp »

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 08 Mar 2008, 22:13 »

Also, I can't really think of a way to justify doing that under fair use.  That is to say; why do you want to copy all of Jeph's work?  Because, outside of a very few acts of derivative creation, I really don't think there's any circumstances where you a) should or b) legally can create permanent, unauthorized copies on your hard drive.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3 on: 08 Mar 2008, 22:14 »

... says the guy with an unauthorized copy of Watterson's work beside his post.

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!
« Reply #4 on: 09 Mar 2008, 00:20 »

A 100x100 avatar pic could more easily be defended as "fair use" than 1,000+ pages of anything.  :police:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #5 on: 09 Mar 2008, 05:10 »

I think there are plans in the pipeline for a QC book of all the archives, if you can wait that long.

By think, I mean hope.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

trc202

« Reply #6 on: 09 Mar 2008, 10:40 »

Well thanks for the replys the reason i was planning on doing this was a:) incase the webpage went down b:) so i could view it on my ipod but i see i was wrong and that it would be basically stealing from him so thank you for all the replys
p.s. Barmymoo I hope that there will be a QC book

cwoolard

« Reply #7 on: 09 Mar 2008, 10:53 »

A) A permenant crash of the QC website is very unlikely. If it does happen, I'm certain Jeph has the enire run archived on his hard drive.

B) Don't they make web-capable iPods yet? Damn things can do everything else...

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #8 on: 09 Mar 2008, 11:10 »

b:) so i could view it on my ipod

Erm, you probably wouldn't want to do that in the first place. I tried shrinking a couple strips down to fit on a PDA screen, and even in landscape orientation, the dialog was difficult to read. Here's the March 7 comic at 320 pixels wide, the same resolution as the classic iPod, Zune, and most PDAs. (Actually, on a PDA it could be even worse, because the user interface takes up screen real estate as well.)

Link

B) Don't they make web-capable iPods yet? Damn things can do everything else...

The iPod Touch has WiFi, and of cousre the iPhone does. They have decent screens on them and could probably display the full comic no problem.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2008, 15:42 by bicostp »

Pengraffe

• Admin emeritus
  • Emoticontraindication
« Reply #9 on: 09 Mar 2008, 16:23 »

The comic is easily viewed on an iPhone. (I have one, I should know.) It helps that you can zoom in if needed.
HONK HONK, I'm a pengraffe.

Thorbard

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #10 on: 09 Mar 2008, 17:12 »

Near impossible to read on my XDA. Unfortunately, really, since I've tried to check it over wireless connections before

Jeff7

• Furry furrier
« Reply #11 on: 09 Mar 2008, 22:48 »

A suggestion then to the powers that be - something to add to the merchandise section:
The complete works of QC, available as SVG files, for some price, determined by bandwidth, and how badly Jeph wants to send his staff (and himself) on a lovely tropical vacation. :) You know, for those of us who are too impatient (and possibly cheap*, like me) to buy the book.

(SVG files, because then they could be rendered with perfect detail at any size. :) Of course, PNG would work, too. And compress them using PNGOut, for even more filesize savings.)

* - I'm not cheap! I'm economically efficient!

JoeMoron2000

« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2008, 15:14 »

The answer to your question is yes, it is possible to do it without individually going to each and every comic.  However, as has been mentioned, Jeph might not like it too much.  However, if you were to get express permission from him, I'd explain how to do it.
This should not be interpereted as me having already done so, I, for one, do not have the time, harddrive space, and cause to do so, not to mention sucking up a large amount of bandwidth whilst doing so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up