THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 00:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canadian Beer  (Read 22259 times)

CaseyKoons

• Not quite a lurker
Canadian Beer
« on: 23 Jan 2008, 14:19 »

Amen to the cream ales comment.

Favorite brews from above the border anyone?

Mine's Black Pearl found in the Nova Scotia area and possibly elsewhere.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2008, 12:25 by CaseyKoons »

cunfuzzled

Re: Canadian Beer
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2008, 17:37 »

I'm from Canada! But I'm underaged, so no beer for me.  :angel:

But Canadian drinks and candy are far superior to whatever fat-filled fun-crap America often comes up with.  :-P

CaseyKoons

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2008, 19:29 »

Don't get me started on candy!

Oh help me! I'm an American that like's his Coffee Crisp! :-)

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2008, 20:24 »

Maple candy is pretty much the best thing ever.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

strmtrprbthngst

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2008, 23:10 »

Boo Labatt, real Canadians (Nova Scotians!) drink Alexander Keith's when they want cheap, not-disgusting beer. Unless they have foolishly decided to attend college in Ontario, where they have to pay for Keiths like it's an import. Siiiiiigh.

Also, the best canadian chocolatethankyouverymuchnotcandy bar is the gold-wrappered sponge toffee Crunchie bar. Hands down.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2008, 23:38 »

Labatt is Canadian Budweiser.  When I lived in Toronto I never drank that shit.

I think I pretty much only drank Red Stripe at bars there.  Red Stripe... mmmm.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

mg

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2008, 23:53 »

If you want to be picky Labatt is a brewery not a beer... They produce a bunch of different beers, including strmtrprbthngst's precious Kieths.

mg

C Patrick Carolan

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2008, 00:11 »

Sleeman's Honey Brown is about the best thing I've ever tasted in my life, ever.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2008, 00:38 »

If you want to be picky Labatt is a brewery not a beer...

True, I was referring to Labatt's Blue.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2008, 08:30 »

Good Cdn beers starting from the Right coast and moving left that I have tried are:

Black Horse Stout (Newfoundland)
Alexander Keith's IPA (Nova Scotia)
Blanche de Chambly (Quebec)
Fin de Monde (Quebec)
St Ambrose Oatmeal Stout (Quebec)
Upper Canada Dark Ale (Ontario)
Mill Street Red (Ontario)
Waterloo Dark (Ontario)
Wellington Imperial Stout (Ontario)
Wellington Iron Duke (Ontario)
Sleeman Cream Ale (Ontario)
Northern Breweries Red Maple (flavoured with real maple syrup, and from my hometown) (Ontario)
Traditional Ale (Alberta)
Grasshopper (alberta)
Buffalo Jump (Alberta)
Canvasback (Alberta)

If I've missed out on any let me know, I live in Ontario near the Quebec border and the Beer Store and the LCBO don't always have a lot of stuff from the other provinces, and I'm ususally willing to try beer to see if the taste is good (I prefer ales by the way).

Most of the national brands (Molson Canadian, Export, Labatt's Blue, and 50) are rather generic in taste, they are not horrible, but there is little to recommend them over a good brew from one of the above smaller breweries.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

C Patrick Carolan

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2008, 22:56 »

You might like some of the offerings from BC's Granville Island Brewing.

Their "Kitsilano Maple Cream" ale is really very good.   :-D

FoolOnTheHill

• Plantmonster
  • Oh shit, she really WOULD kill me.
    • Occult Anonymous
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2008, 02:02 »

The Surrey Central Pub brews their own lager, it kicks ass  :-D
"At least I still have the warantee, right?"
"HAHAHAHA! Oh man, you are so fucked."

C Patrick Carolan

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2008, 11:40 »

We've got a couple of them microbrew pubs here in Calgary.

The Wildwood is probably the best of the bunch, but they don't bottle their offerings.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2008, 16:07 »

Granville brewery looks good, have to see if I get the beer here in Ottawa. 

I didn't include brewpubs cause they are the epitome of local beer, ususally not be available outside of the pub, but if you come to Ottawa, I'd recommend the Clocktower.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Emily

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2008, 06:19 »

Piper's does a nice Pale Ale and the Lighthouse brewery does a good stout (I forget the name,) and Race Rocks Ale is a favourite with my father and brother, though it's not to my personal taste for some reason.

Also if you're ever in Victoria, BC, Swans usually has a GREAT selection of beers on tap, if you want to try some classics or something new. Downtown: Irish Times is crowded and overpriced--go across the street to the Garrick's Head Pub instead. Maude Hunter's does good food and beer at decent prices for local students.

Bahamutduo

« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2008, 09:19 »

local Micro brews are great, like in Edmonton, Alley Kat brewery is good.  Trad Ale and Grasshopper are good, but only on tap. Something about the bottling process makes them taste weird.

also, how is American beer like sex in a canoe? both are F****** close to water.

Rikushix

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2008, 15:20 »

Granville Island Brewery and other False Creek microbrews are pretty good. I'm biased, of course, being from Vancouver.
Alexander Keiths is the true "Canadian" drink...although my drink of choice is Sleemans, either Honey Brown or Cream Ale.

Some of the "BC/Rockies" beers aren't that bad, either...i.e. Molson, Kokanee, etc.

catbhn21

« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2008, 20:24 »

Anything by Unibroue!! Anything by Unibroue!!
Yumm...Actually, no. Not the apple one. Trois Pistoles is my favorite. Fin du Mond and Don de Deu are pretty tasty too.

They're this rather pricey, fermented in the bottle, crazy brewery in Quebec.  I got it in the states at my local bar and fell in love. The apv kicks you in the ass because they're all upwards of 7, which for me means I can enjoy one or two and get tipsy. Yay for being a girl! And for moderating alcohol intake!!

In all seriousness, it's probably my all-time favorite brewery. I like a bunch of American micros, you know being American and all, but that's it above the border. Then again, in Pittsburgh we've got Labatt and Unibroue, so... Oh, but they're all really dark and heavy. Don't drink it if you like light beer. I haven't had all of the varieties, but it seems fairly safe to say.

Mmm...beer.

The Chemist

« Reply #18 on: 20 Feb 2008, 20:34 »

Aww, no love for Picaroons Best Bitter?

Ah well, sophisticated beers for sophisticated people, I guess.

Alexander Keith's Red?
Indeed.

Can't forget Pumphouse from Moncton, NB.

At least no-one likes Moosepiss I mean Moosehead.

catbhn21

« Reply #19 on: 20 Feb 2008, 20:41 »

also, how is American beer like sex in a canoe? both are F****** close to water.

Get yourself a Dogfishhead 120 Minute (a 90 minute will suffice) if you like an IPA, or the Troeggs Troegenator Double Bock, or the Bluepoint Oatmeal Stout. Those are going from Hoppiest to sweetest.  The 120 minute has a 12% apv so tread carefully with that one.  There's a whole lot that's actually half decent in the states, you just probably can't buy any of it above the border just like I can't get any of the Canadian beers that have been mentioned down here...that I know of.

Peaches21

« Reply #20 on: 20 Feb 2008, 20:43 »

Canadian chicky here. And I can't BELIEVE no one has mentioned Quidi Vidi Beer!  Of course, that may be because it's only brewed in Newfoundland... but if you can get your hands on a case, I HIGHLY recommend it! Any of the 6 kinds they make (Eric's Red, Honey Brown, HB Light, 1892, QV, and QV Light)!  It rates right up there with Keith's, in my books! 

frunK

« Reply #21 on: 20 Feb 2008, 20:51 »

If any of you for some horrible reason end up coming to my home town of Winnipeg(woo The Peg) there is a local brew that almost makes living here worth it called Half Pints. I strongly reccomend. They have alot of different kinds and change thier selection from time to time while keeping the favorites.
One thing I like is how on the bottle they include a reccomended serving temperature and food to go with it, now that's commitment to quality!

blackfly99

« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2008, 06:25 »

Hi All,

Here is my list of Beer to drink at home

Carling (24 for $26.40)
Blue
Bohemian (24 for $26.40)
Mill St

If I am at a Bar or club then ill splurge and get the good stuff preferably an English Bitters

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2008, 07:03 »

If any of you for some horrible reason end up coming to my home town of Winnipeg(woo The Peg) there is a local brew that almost makes living here worth it called Half Pints. I strongly reccomend. They have alot of different kinds and change thier selection from time to time while keeping the favorites.
One thing I like is how on the bottle they include a reccomended serving temperature and food to go with it, now that's commitment to quality!

So long as you don't make me drink Club we're cool.....  Been through Winterpeg, capital of Manitscoldout several times - mostly on my way to punishment postings to Shilo....

alricb

« Reply #24 on: 22 Feb 2008, 21:50 »

Anything by Unibroue!! Anything by Unibroue!!
Yumm...Actually, no. Not the apple one. Trois Pistoles is my favorite. Fin du Mond and Don de Deu are pretty tasty too.

They're this rather pricey, fermented in the bottle, crazy brewery in Quebec.

You should move to Quebec, then.

Here, I can get 2x 750 ml bottles of 9% Unibroue (Don de Dieu, Maudite & Trois Pistole, I think) for $10.50, including tax & all that.
Which is the equivalent of 8x 5% bottles Molson Export in alcohol content, but cheaper, and better.

I also love McAuslan's St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. I also liked their first batches of their Scotch Ale (they've made more batches, but at insane prices -- $5.99 for a 341 ml bottle at my local grocery store -- but they're putting the bottles in individual cardboard cylinders at that price)

Boréale is allright, Sleeman is bleh (clear bottles, so it's a box of chocolate -- might have gone bad, might not)

I really liked my local brewery (Brasserie du lièvre), but I don't live near it anymore. I'm in Ottawa now, so I guess I'll try Clocktower.

Bede

« Reply #25 on: 23 Feb 2008, 02:07 »

being used to European beers I found Molson not too bad, St Ambrose ok and Boréale pretty good.

I just made sure I stayed the hell away from Bud and simulair beverages.

GabZ1985

« Reply #26 on: 23 Feb 2008, 08:53 »

Can't forget Pumphouse from Moncton, NB.
Their Blueberry beer is just amazing! And I like their specials at St. Patty's day.

Favorite Canadian beer? That'd have to be good ol' Alpine. Can't believe no one mentioned that one before! The red Keith's good, but the green one is too bitter and leaves a bad after-taste.

I live next to Quebec's borders, and I often see La Maudite, but I kinda too chicken to pay a whole case just to taste, and they don't sell them individually. Same thing for Cochonne.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2008, 10:27 »

In Ontario we can by them individually in the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario), so trying out of province beers is easy.

I just finished a couple of beers from the Trafalgar Ales and Meads of Oakville ON called Abbey Belgian spiced ale.  It's not bad, but if going for a trappist style ale I prefer to spring for Chimay. 

goodluckinjail

« Reply #28 on: 23 Feb 2008, 21:44 »

Oooh ooh. Albertan beerhead here. Unibroue is some QUALITY stuff, and not too pricey here. Between $5.75-$7.50 a bottle here depending on what kind you're buying. I'd have to say I prefer Maudite over the other common ones, and their obscure stuff, Le Terrible HAS to take it. Great stuff, that.

I'm a biiiiig fan of my local pride, Big Rock brewery! XO Lager is excellent, and Mcnally's Reserve, though I can only find it at ONE place in the city(Hop in Brew for any locs interested in trying it), MIGHT be my favourite beer. Trad of course is great, as is Warthog, Grasshopper, the seasonal Espresso Stout is GREAT, and all the rest. Ooh, their cider is exceptional too. Matter of fact there's only one of their brews I don't greatly enjoy, and that's their Honey Brown. Just not into it.

Can't stand Kieth's. I don't get the appeal at all.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #29 on: 24 Feb 2008, 07:15 »

The problem with Canadian beers from anyplace other than the major breweries is that it's rather hit and miss getting them out of province (damned archaic liquor and beer laws).  One of these days my dream will be to start at either Victoria or St. Johns and head for the other coast drinking different beers each meal (less breakfast) and enjoying the country.

Damn, that's a pathetic dream.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #30 on: 24 Feb 2008, 12:48 »

Roaming your country, tasting its wares? Not such a bad dream, I think. I could do that here in the UK. It worked for Asterix.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Emily

« Reply #31 on: 24 Feb 2008, 14:33 »

Isn't there a TV show based on some guy traveling the world and just trying different local wines, beers and spirits? Granted I've never seen him get drunk off his ass (sadly--the ratings might go up if he did) the concept is similar.

I'm tempted to try the Guinness Diet for a while while I'm residing in Eire...it's apparently physically/nutritionally possible--it won't kill you.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #32 on: 24 Feb 2008, 14:53 »

Diet Guiness?????

But Guiness is the beer that eats like a meal!

Emily

« Reply #33 on: 24 Feb 2008, 15:15 »

No, no, I mean the Guinness Diet where you replace food with Guinness.

God, the day they introduce Guinness Lite is the day I move to colonize Mars.

frunK

« Reply #34 on: 24 Feb 2008, 16:27 »

Isn't there a TV show based on some guy traveling the world and just trying different local wines, beers and spirits? Granted I've never seen him get drunk off his ass (sadly--the ratings might go up if he did) the concept is similar.

I'm tempted to try the Guinness Diet for a while while I'm residing in Eire...it's apparently physically/nutritionally possible--it won't kill you.

Funny thing, I'm a consumer care rep for Diageo, who makes Guinness.
We wouldn't reccomend you attempt this. To do so would be at your own risk.
There I did my job, go nuts.

Skinny Jeans

« Reply #35 on: 24 Feb 2008, 16:55 »

Waterloo Dark (Waterloo Ontario) and Sleemans (Guelph Ontario) are high up on my list

rhubarbidoo

« Reply #36 on: 24 Feb 2008, 17:10 »

I live in Canada but there's just something about Canadian beer that I dislike. Maybe it's my undying patriotism that always makes me get Baltika (Russian), Slavutich, or Lvivske (both Ukrainian). Lately I've been drinking Faxe 10%, though. Fuck yeah Vikings!!

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #37 on: 24 Feb 2008, 17:17 »

I've tried the East European beers, and there is just something about them that doesn't sit well with my palate.  I'm more of an ale, stout and porter man, and the east European beers seem to lean more towards a lager style.  Again they aren't bad, but just not good enough to justify the extra money.

Skinny Jeans

« Reply #38 on: 24 Feb 2008, 17:21 »

There is nothing wrong with a good pale ale: Rickards preferably
This thread is making me thirsty, why do I have to be at work right now!

iOmega

« Reply #39 on: 24 Feb 2008, 20:48 »

The problem with Canadian beers from anyplace other than the major breweries is that it's rather hit and miss getting them out of province (damned archaic liquor and beer laws).  One of these days my dream will be to start at either Victoria or St. Johns and head for the other coast drinking different beers each meal (less breakfast) and enjoying the country.

Actually, I think that would be kind of fun.

To weigh in on the discussion: I tend to drink Molson products, mostly Rickard's Red, and Black Horse.  I've tried a fair number of beer available in the West and East of the country, and I'm also fond of Keith's (but I find the Keith's you get in Alberta and BC aren't quite right) and Kokanee, but I have an odd distaste for Sleeman products. 

goodluckinjail

« Reply #40 on: 24 Feb 2008, 22:29 »

I did the guinness diet. I felt incredible. It was somewhat expensive though. You end up drinking at least a pack a day. Translates to roughly $350 for the month, so I went to the great canadian liquorstore and bought it in a flat, lessen the cost a bit, and I only did it for the two weeks rather.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #41 on: 25 Feb 2008, 04:48 »

Actually, I think that would be kind of fun.

To weigh in on the discussion: I tend to drink Molson products, mostly Rickard's Red, and Black Horse.  I've tried a fair number of beer available in the West and East of the country, and I'm also fond of Keith's (but I find the Keith's you get in Alberta and BC aren't quite right) and Kokanee, but I have an odd distaste for Sleeman products. 

It would likely be fun, but I think that my wife might have something to say to me when I plan the cross country road trip stops based on the local microbreweries...

frunK

« Reply #42 on: 26 Feb 2008, 10:58 »

There is nothing wrong with a good pale ale: Rickards preferably
This thread is making me thirsty, why do I have to be at work right now!
That's what your lunch break is for!

aislingeach

« Reply #43 on: 26 Feb 2008, 12:14 »

Dear everyone in Calgary singing the praises of Big Rock and Wildwood:

I registered just to tell you (and anyone else who cares to listen,) that Calgary is home to a far more precious treasure: I speak, of course, of the Wild Rose Brewery. Do yourself a biiiiiiiiig ol' favour and head down to their taproom. (In Garrison Woods, by the Calgary Famers' Market.) This is nigh-on the only place to get The Best of All Possible Stouts, Alberta Crude. Seriously. It is worthwhile visiting Calgary if only for that beer.

KITTENS!!!

« Reply #44 on: 26 Feb 2008, 13:20 »

I've only tried Fin de Monde. Sorry Canada, your beers only appeal to me when they're named "THE END OF THE WORLD"

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #45 on: 26 Feb 2008, 13:22 »

Try Maudite (Damned, if you're one of us anglais), its from the same brewery.

KITTENS!!!

« Reply #46 on: 26 Feb 2008, 13:23 »

Gotta love them Quebecois.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #47 on: 28 Feb 2008, 04:34 »

long as they don't force you to drink 50 we're OK

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #48 on: 01 Mar 2008, 13:27 »

On a different note - other than Liberty, Sam Adams and the products of Rogue brewery in Oregon, what are some decent American beers?

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #49 on: 01 Mar 2008, 13:57 »

There's Yuengling...  Hmm, I'm not so good at remembering the good beers.  Normally I have to be in a beer store to get all fanboy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up