THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 08:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clone High  (Read 6799 times)

Ital1Stall1

Clone High
« on: 26 Dec 2007, 21:32 »

Did anyone ever watch this? It only ran for one season, but I thought it was hilarious.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
Re: Clone High
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2007, 22:20 »

This only further cements by belief that Canadians make fucking unbelievably funny and well-thought out concepts for TV.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2007, 23:12 »

I loved this show despite the fact that it was on MTV.  Too bad it is gone now, but thanks to the internet I can relive the glory that it was.

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2007, 11:58 »

This is one of my favorite TV shows ever. I've got all the episodes on my computer and I rewatch em all every few months or so. Great show.

FUBAR

« Reply #4 on: 01 Jan 2008, 19:26 »

talk about a cliff hanger ending, I was hoping for another season of it but I guess MTV decided to pull the plug because not enough people "got it".

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jan 2008, 21:17 »

if by clone high you mean sex, and by watching you mean having HEYO
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

FUBAR

« Reply #6 on: 01 Jan 2008, 21:48 »

did you hear?  Ghandi has ADD

Spinless

« Reply #7 on: 02 Jan 2008, 10:22 »

I'll kill his dog!

SOMEBODY SHIT ON THE COATS!

RICK
       JAMES
                  BITCH

THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY!

Guys, what do the above things have in common?
Yes, it's incredibly annoying when people just throw them around without any genuinely funny context for them. And unless you wrote them, there never will be any funny context for them. You see, we know you might like Clone High or Dave Chapelle, but we don't appreciate all the quotes.
Similarly, we all love Clone High and miss it dearly. But a lot of us secretly hope it doesn't come back, because we don't want a bunch of mouth breathers who say 'I AH WANT A ER UH PARTY PLATTER' every other sentence because they think it's funny. I can see that this is already happening.
Clone High was great, it was handled very well, surprisingly consistent, and rather clever (yet still insanely accessible) for an mtv show. It seems to me, MTV seems to either cash in, or make crap that isn't funny, because awkward situations are supposedly the new funny.
I loved that Clone High had more in common with the style and humour of Dexter's Lab than say, Beavis and Butthead. It's what made the show great.

The show wasn't canceled because people didn't get it, people who say that aren't giving people in general as much credit as they deserve. It was canceled because it failed to get ratings, and it failed to get ratings because of very poor marketing. It's cult fanbase didn't appear until it was too late because that is how long it took for people to finally hear about the show.

FUBAR

« Reply #8 on: 02 Jan 2008, 13:43 »

I'll kill his dog!

SOMEBODY SHIT ON THE COATS!

RICK
       JAMES
                  BITCH

THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY!

Guys, what do the above things have in common?
Yes, it's incredibly annoying when people just throw them around without any genuinely funny context for them. And unless you wrote them, there never will be any funny context for them. You see, we know you might like Clone High or Dave Chapelle, but we don't appreciate all the quotes.
Similarly, we all love Clone High and miss it dearly. But a lot of us secretly hope it doesn't come back, because we don't want a bunch of mouth breathers who say 'I AH WANT A ER UH PARTY PLATTER' every other sentence because they think it's funny. I can see that this is already happening.
Clone High was great, it was handled very well, surprisingly consistent, and rather clever (yet still insanely accessible) for an mtv show. It seems to me, MTV seems to either cash in, or make crap that isn't funny, because awkward situations are supposedly the new funny.
I loved that Clone High had more in common with the style and humour of Dexter's Lab than say, Beavis and Butthead. It's what made the show great.

The show wasn't canceled because people didn't get it, people who say that aren't giving people in general as much credit as they deserve. It was canceled because it failed to get ratings, and it failed to get ratings because of very poor marketing. It's cult fanbase didn't appear until it was too late because that is how long it took for people to finally hear about the show.

posts like these put me in a really weird space, my instincts tell me to respond with an equal level of vehemence and perceived hate.  My good sense tells me to chill the fuck out ad take the dude's advice with a grain of salt.  So I'm gonna go with my good sense and just chill the fuck out.

However, I do need to say that to take a simple misstep and inflate it to the size of a cardinal sin is what the chinese call using a scimitar to kill a chicken.  Fun maybe...but unnecessary.  I'm a reasonable guy, if you have a problem with the way I post, PM me and I'll take it under advisement.  It's not like I started a brand new thread to talk about a topic that's already being covered just to post a quote.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #9 on: 02 Jan 2008, 13:47 »

The best show that MTV ever cancelled, BAR FUCKING NONE, was Austin Stories.  All the episodes are up on YouTube.  It was and is goddamn amazingly well-done.  It's pretty much "What if Richard Linklater wrote for Seinfeld?"

The "Fiona Apple girl" episode.  Oh God, I'm gonna have to watch that one again now.

NB: Show may not be as funny if you were born in the 90s, I think.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Spinless

« Reply #10 on: 02 Jan 2008, 16:40 »

Fubar, that wasn't directed at you specifically! It was more of a general reminded and a show at my disapproval for lack of any actual discussion about Clone High, it was all just people shouting random quotes, basically. If you perceive hate in my post, you're reading them in the wrong voice! Try reading them in a squeaky and naive tone.

FUBAR

« Reply #11 on: 02 Jan 2008, 16:47 »

Fubar, that wasn't directed at you specifically! It was more of a general reminded and a show at my disapproval for lack of any actual discussion about Clone High, it was all just people shouting random quotes, basically. If you perceive hate in my post, you're reading them in the wrong voice! Try reading them in a squeaky and naive tone.

well then no harm no foul.  In hindsight I probably should have put a little more thought into your post, but I post on 5 different forums throughout the workday (it keeps the voices at bay) and it was probably a knee-jerk reaction, or just a jerk reaction hahaha.  You have my apologies.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #12 on: 02 Jan 2008, 23:14 »

The worst offender for this was the third Austin Powers film, I'm pretty sure.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #13 on: 02 Jan 2008, 23:38 »

If your in Australia then, like me, you probably hear random-and-out-of-context quotes from Summer Heights High a lot.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #14 on: 03 Jan 2008, 00:02 »

Damn it guys, let me derail!

AUSTIN STORIES!  For serious!  Go watch it now!
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #15 on: 03 Jan 2008, 00:06 »

I carry around a small pocket hammer so that I can personally mutilate the face of anyone who spouts a random catch phrase in my presence, be it Summer Heights High, We Can be Heroes, Little Britain, the Catherine Tate show or any other similar show.

I can not stand people who do that.   
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #16 on: 03 Jan 2008, 00:08 »

I go to an all boys school and Summer Heights High formed the bulk of every other students conversation.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #17 on: 04 Jan 2008, 01:55 »

The DVD for this show was basically the best Christmas present I ever received. I LOVE this show. I love it as it is, and how it ended, but that doesn't keep me from selfishly wanting more. I have always thought that a good idea would be a teen-show-like switching of character focus, to a new     class at Clone High, perhaps starring Mark Twain ?
Hate, rain on me

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #18 on: 04 Jan 2008, 17:09 »

I had read somewhere reputable that the show was cancelled because a section of the Indian community was putting pressure on the creators due to their portrayl of Ghandi. This combined with mediocre ratings caused the cancellation.
Definitely in my top 5 cartoons. I adore Joan and JFK, they're my favourites. Especially when Joan communicates with "god" :D
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

ohsweetjesusno

« Reply #19 on: 04 Jan 2008, 23:13 »

But Ghandi was so cute. :lol: What with his obsession with "East meets West!" and stuffing things up his nose.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #20 on: 08 Jan 2008, 16:25 »

I think my life as a television viewer peaked when they flipped the pool.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

thehollow

« Reply #21 on: 08 Jan 2008, 16:38 »

that's one of my favorite lines from the entire show. I try to work the phrase "flip the bitch" into as many conversations as I can, even though no one gets the reference unless I'maround my brother.

FUBAR

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2008, 15:50 »

the dolphin is the best running gag i've seen in a while.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #23 on: 14 Jan 2008, 16:36 »

that's one of my favorite lines from the entire show. I try to work the phrase "flip the bitch" into as many conversations as I can, even though no one gets the reference unless I'maround my brother.

One of my friends used the phrase "flip a bitch" to refer to making a U-turn while driving. Is this S.O.P. anywhere or do I have reason to believe he was alluding to Clone High?
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

FUBAR

« Reply #24 on: 14 Jan 2008, 16:41 »

no, "flip-a-bitch" is an accepted modern colloquialism for doing a U-Turn.  Usually, said U-Turn is an illegal one.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2008, 16:43 by FUBAR »

thehollow

« Reply #25 on: 14 Jan 2008, 17:42 »

I've never heard "flip a bitch" for doing a u-turn.

My roommate, who's from buttfuck, WI, refers to doing donuts (at least, that's what I always thought they were called) with a car as "flipping shitties". Is this common elsewhere?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #26 on: 14 Jan 2008, 18:28 »

I've always heard it as flippin' bitches or whipping shitties, depending on the area. Usually it's a good sign to break off contact with whoever uses the term.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

faerygrrl

« Reply #27 on: 24 Jan 2008, 00:23 »

I have heard "flip a bitch" before, to be honest I was a little :-o offended when I heard it. 
Even though I heard it from a female's mouth, ya know because I refer to myself as a bitch in a positive light on oh so many occasions.
LOVE Clone High but I guess I didn't watch it enough to catch that reference.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2008, 22:26 by faerygrrl »
Pages: [1]   Go Up