THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 14:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the Deal With -Band X-?  (Read 72461 times)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: What's the Deal With -Band X-?
« Reply #200 on: 08 Feb 2008, 11:41 »

the deal with Boris is that they somehow make drone NOT BORING which is something new to me and then after ten minutes of droning they proceed to rock the fuck out.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #201 on: 08 Feb 2008, 12:07 »

The deal with Boris, other than that Pink utterly fucking destroys for combining shoegazer, psychedlia, metal, and punk, is that they are also proficient at changing up their style quite a bit (see their last two albums, Rainbow and Smile).
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

screamingfool

• Emoticontraindication
  • the terrible parable
« Reply #202 on: 08 Feb 2008, 13:04 »

the brighteyes fire is burning strong! bring marshmallows and we'll light em on fire and see who can fling em furthest into the lake!

i hadn't caught the whole junkie thing or the rich kid business, in fact the only song i know well enough to cite is "at the bottom of everything" which is pretty great actually. Everything else i tried to listen to i managed to halfway in before i turned it off. However as far as rich kids with heavy drug addictions go, i find that argument to be a bit of a cop out, i mean look at william burroughs - he grew up with a trust fund which allowed him to travel, live by his whims, get out of the army with little more than a smirk and some babble of schizophrenia , got himself a crazy ass heroin addiction, then changed writing as we know it as well as kicked off the beat movement by taking ginsberg and keroac under his wing. I'm not saying i like everything he wrote or in fact much more than his first few novels, but that being a rich junkie desperate for attention is not enough ground to dismiss someone, if their art sucks it just sucks.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #203 on: 08 Feb 2008, 14:59 »

Plus, this.

Quote from: William S. Burroughs
I always thought a punk was someone who took it up the ass.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Wasteroo

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #204 on: 08 Feb 2008, 16:10 »

my girlfriend has recently taken to brighteyes ans sufjan stevens and while a song or two of theirs have caught my interest momentarily if find the majority of it to be white guy wankery, am i missing something?

I could listen to Chicago on repeat until the die I day.
I have a huge hillbilly boner for banjos

Wasteroo

• RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #205 on: 08 Feb 2008, 16:55 »

Damn my vagueness. I should've seen that coming.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #206 on: 08 Feb 2008, 16:57 »

i thought that's what you were talking about since my brain seems to skip over the words "brighteyes" and "sufjan stevens" for some reason.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Wasteroo

• RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #207 on: 08 Feb 2008, 17:57 »

I can understand roughly one half of that 'unconscious glance past' thing you have going.

Anyway, I'm going to switch up the format a little bit. What's the deal with people not liking In the Aeroplane Over the Sea?

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #208 on: 08 Feb 2008, 18:02 »

A lot of people who hate Aeroplane mostly do so based on Mangum's voice. It's very hit or miss, either you love it or loathe it.

Also, when my friends first got into NMH they thought his name was Jeff Magnum. My friend Scott and I had a good laugh at the liner notes in ITAOTS listing him as Jeff Mangum, until I talked to my other friend who informed me that his name was Mangum.

Wasteroo

• RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #209 on: 08 Feb 2008, 18:14 »

I LOOOOVE YOOU JESUUUS CHRIIIIIIST
I can imagine how that could be polarizing.

I used to think his name was Jeff Magnum too. I thought that was way too badass for him though.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #210 on: 08 Feb 2008, 18:56 »

So many people make that mistake. In fact, type in Jeff Magnum in wikipedia and you will be redirected.

Catacombs

« Reply #211 on: 08 Feb 2008, 20:00 »

What's the deal with Against Me!

Also, whats the deal with the Hold Steady?
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

PECOAE

• Furry furrier
  • master of his domain ...for now
« Reply #212 on: 08 Feb 2008, 20:13 »

The Hold Steady are fun bar rock - you like it or you don't.  It's like Dylan went to a bar one day and got completely wasted and started a loud band and developed an even shittier voice than his current one.

That said, I actually DO like Craig Finn's voice on occasion. 

Wasteroo

• RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #213 on: 08 Feb 2008, 21:05 »

What's the deal with Broken Social Scene? I just got You Forgot It In People, and maybe I just need to give it a few more listens, but it wasn't immediate love.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
    • last.fm!
« Reply #214 on: 08 Feb 2008, 21:13 »

If KC Accidental didn't grab you by the balls, make love to you and never let go from the first listen, I don't know if much can be done for you.

I kid. If anything, the album was made to reveal its goodness over repeated listens. To be honest, I kinda space out on anything after Cause = Time, and I don't listen to the album a whole lot anymore. It's still pretty good though.

Clobbersaurus

• Emoticontraindication
  • homosex
« Reply #215 on: 08 Feb 2008, 21:32 »

What's the deal with Broken Social Scene? I just got You Forgot It In People, and maybe I just need to give it a few more listens, but it wasn't immediate love.
Feist and

don't mind the rest, honestly. just get their self titled ^. a swan song if i ever heard one, and one of the most beautiful--and most SOLID--albums you'll ever hear.
male elephant seals are really ugly.

Streltsy

« Reply #216 on: 08 Feb 2008, 21:37 »

Material things may not bring happiness but in my experience people who never wanted for anything as a child, never felt the very real threat of imminent ruin create utterly insipid music if they try to look tortured. Maybe not in all circumstances but at least 95% of the time. Definitively not what I am looking for in music.

What does this mean? Is it imminent ruin like death or is it relative? I am not well versed in musical history, but I doubt most of the best music was created by those facing the former.

I can understand if you genuinely believe the guy is a poser creating an image to profit. But your sentiment comes off as 'the financially secure's pain is less than that off those in poverty', it's a popular opinion but ultimately just an opinion as there is no definitive way to measure 'unhappiness'.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #217 on: 09 Feb 2008, 00:30 »

So many people make that mistake. In fact, type in Jeff Magnum in wikipedia and you will be redirected.

Ironically, there was an actual Jeff Magnum. He was a punk rocker.

If you've found any of my posts on this page interesting, you'll love Please Kill Me by Gillian McCain and Legs McNeil.

Shadows Collide

« Reply #218 on: 09 Feb 2008, 02:34 »

Conor Oberst fakes political and social concern in order to sell records

How many Crass patches do you have on your jacket?

What the hell is a Crass patch???

Dizzydes

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #219 on: 09 Feb 2008, 05:11 »

What the hell is with The tough alliance?? :?

bbqrocks

« Reply #220 on: 09 Feb 2008, 06:39 »

What is the deal with deerhoof? Is it meant to make me go castrate myself rather than listen to it?

EDIT: I'm gonna take that back. I see their appeal now.

It's so addictive...panda panda panda...
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2008, 07:03 by bbqrocks »

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
    • last.fm!
« Reply #221 on: 09 Feb 2008, 07:45 »

What the hell is a Crass patch???

DO THEY OWE US A LIVING
OF COURSE THEY DO OF COURSE THEY DO
OWE US A LIVING
DO THEY OWE US A LIVING
DO THEY OWE US A LIVING?
OF COURSE THEY FUCKING DO

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #222 on: 09 Feb 2008, 07:49 »

Thank you for answering that question far better than the belaboured sigh I was about to convey through typing.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #223 on: 09 Feb 2008, 11:36 »

What's the deal with Against Me!

Against Me! were a very good punk band who wrote very catchy and reasonably intelligent songs about DIY and politics (ignore Baby I'm An Anarchist, it was a joke song after all). Their early work used acoustic guitars later expanding to use electric guitars and drums on their first album Reinventing Axl Rose, but it retained a lot of the acoustic punk sound and about half of the tracks were re-recorded versions of originally acoustic numbers. Their second album As The Eternal Cowboy was a more straightforward punk record which put some people off but was still pretty good. Unfortunately they then decided to sack all of that off and produce godawful MOR nonsense and pissed off the vast majority of their old fans by becoming the exact opposite of the kind of band their early work eulogised.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #224 on: 09 Feb 2008, 13:23 »

I think the argument being made is that it's somewhat of an error to assume that the rich haven't gone through hardship. It's just a different type of hardship. Some great art can still be made out of it, but it requires a level of depth and self-awareness that allows the specific situations being outlined to be analyzed and presented in a manner that makes it somewhat universal. I suppose that is why you wrote "in an overwhelming majority of circumstances" rather than "all the dang time!"

Still, it seems an unwise gesture to rule out the capacity of anyone to make good art, regardless of socio-economic standing. If the poor can do it, why can't the rich? If you prick them, they bleed. If you tickle them, they laugh. If you poison them, they die. Granted, they can afford very nice pins, feathers and chemicals, but at the core of it they're still people - possibly distorted people but people nevertheless. I haven't had the chance to meet fabulously wealthy individuals but I've definitely met people who haven't wanted for anything in their lives, and they've had great moments and shit moments. People can treat rich people as well or as badly as they treat me or you, and often do anyways.

At the end of the day, the actual quality of the art has about as much to do with the artist's financial status as it does with gender, race and age - that is, both everything and nothing. Best to judge the music on its own merits rather than a potentially false image of the artist we've built up in our own minds.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #225 on: 09 Feb 2008, 13:48 »

Man, it's one thing to take a shot at the wealthy, but don't you ever talk that way about Pokemon again.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #226 on: 09 Feb 2008, 13:49 »

Well that was a quick way out tommydski  :-D

In addition to what johnny said, I'd like to note that even though it's best to judge music on its own and not by its "cover" I find that virtually noone can ever find it in themselves to do just that. I find myself considering both the cover, the artist, his/her's opinions, looks and so on and I haven't even gotten to the part of what I think of the reviews! If I buy a book I find to be interesting judging by its backcover and what it says, it's impossible for me to look past the reviews that says its "rich" and "strange" and whatnot. After I finish the book/cd/movie and so on, or during (!) I find myself considering if I agree in what the reviews had to say.. Sometimes it steals all the attention away and to say it out loud it's a pain in the ass. Is it just me?

Btw what's the deal with NIN?
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #227 on: 09 Feb 2008, 13:51 »

Well that was a quick way out tommydski  :-D

It's what happens when confronted with the reasoning of one's betters.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #228 on: 09 Feb 2008, 13:57 »

The comparison was made earlier, so I'm going to ask:

What's the deal with everyone thinking Neon Bible has anything to do with The Boss?

bbqrocks

« Reply #229 on: 09 Feb 2008, 14:23 »

But I'm fairly sure a mediocre hardcore band could look exactly the same a mindblowing math rock band...

Wasteroo

• RMB RMB RMB RMB
    • my music
« Reply #230 on: 09 Feb 2008, 14:26 »

What's the deal with the Fiery Furnaces? I listened to all of Blueberry Boat, and I thought it wasn't all that bad, but I always skip it when it comes up on shuffle. Maybe it's just impossible to listen to the tracks without the context of the album? Dunno.

bbqrocks

« Reply #231 on: 09 Feb 2008, 14:48 »

Lets take a popular hardcore band then...say, bad brains. And then take the band I am listening to- the boredoms. Now compare the first two images that appear on google image.

bbqrocks

« Reply #232 on: 09 Feb 2008, 15:10 »

Are you sure you aren't just saying A because of B?

PECOAE

• Furry furrier
  • master of his domain ...for now
« Reply #233 on: 09 Feb 2008, 16:01 »

Damn.  That works better than I thought it would.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #234 on: 09 Feb 2008, 17:03 »

What's the deal with the Fiery Furnaces? I listened to all of Blueberry Boat, and I thought it wasn't all that bad, but I always skip it when it comes up on shuffle. Maybe it's just impossible to listen to the tracks without the context of the album? Dunno.

I know I find Fiery Furnaces better in album form than in track form. There are only a handful of songs I listen to on an individual and regular basis, and most of them are on their EP and Gallowsbird's Bark.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #235 on: 09 Feb 2008, 17:44 »

I actually don't have a problem with listening to the individually. Also, Widow City is very accessible on an individual basis.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #236 on: 09 Feb 2008, 18:09 »

No. If I saw pictures of either band I would give them the benefit of the doubt.

Try it on yourself. GIS some bands you like and some you hate.

What about a picture of Stars?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #237 on: 10 Feb 2008, 00:04 »

Bafflingly enough, this picture explains so well my general ambivalence towards Stars but my love for Amy Millan's solo work.

On the other hand, Ladyhawk:

In retrospect, the answer to every one of these damn questions could just have been answered with a GIS.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2008, 00:07 by Johnny C »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up