THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 18:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

what is your fave out of my fave mainstream bands?

the beatles
- 37 (44.6%)
led zeppelin
- 12 (14.5%)
Rush
- 7 (8.4%)
tool
- 8 (9.6%)
pink floyd
- 19 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: mainstream bands  (Read 94310 times)

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Re: mainstream bands
« Reply #300 on: 01 Feb 2008, 12:53 »

I could buy a full wardrobe of second hand hippie clothes for less than 20 bucks. I can't be certain about how 'environmentally friendly' it is, but even if the cotton was grown on anachronistic slave labor farms and doses with pure coca cola, the fact remains that its comfortable as shit and none of the companies that hypothetically made a profit on it would see any extra dollar as a result of buying it. Seems like a win for me, except I hate clothes that look fucking ridiculous.

I will never understand how a grown man can wear fishermens pants in public unless he has taken LSD and is in a park. To be fair, this gives a lot of leeway to the people who wear fishermens pants.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Jasper

« Reply #301 on: 01 Feb 2008, 13:22 »

I'll resist the urge to just post multiple pictures of members of pung, goth and metal bands, and just say, whoah, you don't know ANY bikers?

Members of bands "dressing up" is a bit different from members of the audience, because to some bands, part of the performance is the costume.  I readily admit that I do put a little effort into my appearance when I play a show, though it rarely goes beyond "tucking my jeans into my boots" or "wearing eyeliner".

I actually know a lot of bikers, as one of the bars I've most frequented in the past 10 years is a favorite spot for 40+ year old bikers.  However, they're not really the kind of bikers who dress like Hell's Angels, they're more down to Earth than that, just generally nice guys who smoke pot and like to discuss music and politics.  Half of them or so are Vietnam vets or ex-hippies.

What I'm wondering is what is considered not "dressing up?" As multiple members of the board has already mentioned, we all make a choice when we get dressed in the morning, as a direct result of a choice as to where we placed our money and the businesses or bands we have chosen to support. What really would be the difference between seeing someone that spent 100+ on an expensive suit with someone who has spent 100+ on hot topic gear and piercings?  As much as we each have our own perceptions as to what is normal and accepted I don't see why either should be respected at all. If we're going for practicality, a nice toga or burlap sack should do just fine.

So, what would be normal, or the opposite of an all out punk kid or complete goth? A polo shirt or an overpriced pre-faded t-shirt? I prefer the lavish costumes, they are far more entertaining and make great conversation starters.

I think it doesn't matter a whole lot, unless GWAR fans start getting in on the action. Then it's a problem.

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #302 on: 01 Feb 2008, 13:25 »

i saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "drive less, bike more"

fucking hippies don't think, i swear.

That's like saying it's wrong to support environmental programs when you utilize the environment to live on earth. Of course you can encourage biking when you also own a car. Where else would you put the bumper sticker, on your bike? for other bikes to see? That's silly.

Also, to call someone concerned with their own frickin' environment and breathable air a hippy is beyond stupid.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #303 on: 01 Feb 2008, 16:26 »

i just hate hippies.

actually, that's not true. much of my family are hippies, but they were hippies in the sixties and now they are just old and don't try to act smart or be rude to people. they just smoke pot.
i guess what i really hate are hippy hipsters.

hippy-sters, if you will. i have never met one who actually knows what they are talking about or is even a pleasant person. they are confrontational and abrasive and usually ill-informed.

and for the record, i don't care if the hippy-sters in your town are the opposite of what i said because in my experience this is not the case. i would like nothing more than to get along with these people just like anyone else, but they make it near impossible.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #304 on: 01 Feb 2008, 17:02 »

You sound a bit tense. Maybe you should chill out, and drink a nice cup of chai.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #305 on: 02 Feb 2008, 08:35 »

There are other ways to express your views than bumper stickers, you know. Driving around basically saying "Hey, fuckhead, think about the environment! Ditch your car! Just because I'm keeping my car doesn't mean you should!" is stupid. There's no reason to make an argument over this at all.

If you honestly think that bumper sticker is meant to say "ditch your car" I'd hate to know how you interpret "Coexist" bumper stickers. "Oh oh, I bet they mean several devout people of different religions should like totally get an apartment together and try to make it work!"

Come on, you're really reaching just to make people who care about their environment look bad. If you don't care, that's your own values and that's fine, but don't make ridiculous assumptions and insults towards other people's values. Have some respect.

Now start talking about music again. As much as many people seem to dislike their own idea of what a hippy is, there is some great "hippy" music out there. Was that considered mainstream back then?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #306 on: 02 Feb 2008, 08:38 »

Guys, after our civilisation collapses, none of you are sharing my canned food or getting to play with my crossbow. Just sayin'.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #307 on: 02 Feb 2008, 11:39 »

No matter how you slice it, bumper stickers are retarded.

Sorry.  It's just true.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

bbqrocks

« Reply #308 on: 02 Feb 2008, 11:43 »

True that. That's why everyone should have a bumper sticker saying 'get rid of your bumper stickers, they are fucking retarded'.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #309 on: 02 Feb 2008, 12:42 »

Guys, after our civilisation collapses, none of you are sharing my canned food or getting to play with my crossbow. Just sayin'.

Well you can't join my Roadwarrior gang.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

psyne

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #310 on: 02 Feb 2008, 14:31 »

There's a natural foods store next door to my apartment, and one of the employees has a mindboggling car that is literally coated in bumper stickers sporting various environmentalist, pro-gay rights, and anti-Bush slogans. I'm not even sure what color the car is.

bbqrocks

« Reply #311 on: 02 Feb 2008, 14:39 »

The only good bumper stickers are the big ones saying 'OH NOEZ I IS GOING TO CRASH'

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #312 on: 02 Feb 2008, 16:27 »

I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #313 on: 04 Feb 2008, 07:59 »

I wonder how many times a car sporting that bumper sticker gets pulled over on a daily basis.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #314 on: 04 Feb 2008, 10:04 »

I'd pull him over and ask him for proof of this insurance. Maybe he'd hand me a Bible.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #315 on: 04 Feb 2008, 12:02 »

No matter how you slice it, bumper stickers are retarded.

Sorry.  It's just true.

There are some that are just sadistic instead, like that Goatse/Tubgirl '08 one with the address of the tubgirl site on it.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #316 on: 04 Feb 2008, 12:12 »

I suppose they're the Lemon Party candidates?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #317 on: 04 Feb 2008, 12:14 »

Probably. They are hoping to fix our dire shortage of drinking containers by making a rule of two girls to every cup.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #318 on: 04 Feb 2008, 12:50 »

Wackity-Schmackity Doo!
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #319 on: 04 Feb 2008, 13:32 »

Videos containing grossness which can not be overstated are for the masses only.

I'm VIP.
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up