THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 21:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

what is your fave out of my fave mainstream bands?

the beatles
- 37 (44.6%)
led zeppelin
- 12 (14.5%)
Rush
- 7 (8.4%)
tool
- 8 (9.6%)
pink floyd
- 19 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: mainstream bands  (Read 94393 times)

dalconnsuch

mainstream bands
« on: 27 Jan 2008, 02:21 »

my fave mainstream bands, yes i know their not independent, tragic, but its all for fun!

Spinless

Re: mainstream bands
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2008, 05:16 »

My favourite bands who also happen to be very popular. Perhaps, they're popular because they're good? They weren't/are not independent, which means they're helping to fuel an industry that is, to be frank, filled with lowlifes, scum and sleaze. This is a terrible shame.

Tell me which you prefer! There could be some interesting results!

Spinless

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2008, 05:18 »

The answer is clearly the Beatles. They didn't suck and they didn't re-unite!

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2008, 05:21 »

I like how Rush is the only one capitalised so that you're subtly drawn to it

this poll is fixed I demand a recount vote al gore for my favourite mainstream band '08

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2008, 05:31 »

my fave mainstream bands, yes i know their not independent, tragic, but its all for fun!

Ye gods! I cast thee OUT!

I think that a lot of QC's readers don't quite get that it pisstakes indie-only type people...
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2008, 05:42 »

Quote from: from the poll, thing at the top.
what is your fave of my favorite mainstream bands?

I...don't care?
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2008, 18:07 by imapiratearg »

Spinless

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2008, 08:12 »

I'm tired of rather new people coming here and making this assumption that we're all a bunch of uptight-holier-than-thou-elitist-music-snob types.
Some of my favourite forumers here, who've been here long time also carry this misconception, and so they choose not to post in the music forum. This is a shame, there's a lot of intelligent people on the boards who's opinions on music I'd love to read. I don't give a crap about what they listen to, but I know they carry some very good opinions with them. I'll never get to read those because everybody thinks that the core of the music forums are indie-type hipster kids.

I'd like to take a moment to point out that the issue of elitism never comes up around here until some new person comes in and accuses the rest of us of this because we happen to disagree with him or her. That sort of thing is NOT welcome here. It's stated in the music forum description that you shouldn't be a dick about music. So don't be a dick about music.

Before you throw around explosive terms like 'hipster', 'snob', 'elitism...
...I want you to hold off posting for a few weeks. Observe the long time regulars. I mean REALLY observe them. One or two of them make fun of everybody, that's a given. Sometimes, it's funny. The vast majority do nothing but discuss the music they like. They will not make fun of you if you have no idea what they're talking about, they love to share. Even if they don't care for the things that you like, they would love to listen. So don't be afraid, just talk about music! Cut out all the bullshit!

So, this thread.

This is not me being elitist, this is not me being a snob. This thread sucks. It's a selfish thread. It's a thread about you. I don't understand why. What's more, you implied that the rest of us have a problem with bands that aren't independent. Take your prejudice elsewhere or get in line.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2008, 08:15 »

I think we can all agree that Rush are hilarious
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

bbqrocks

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2008, 08:29 »

I must say that after hanging around on an 'elitist' metal forum you guys are not elitist in the slightest.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2008, 08:38 »

I abstained from voting because i am not really a big fan of any of them. I almost chose The Beatles because I have some of their stuff but I don't think I would actually call myself a fan. At the same time I do not claim to be an indie snob or something. I enjoy my fair share of mainstream stuff. Like Justin Timberlake. I don't care if you think he's silly because he was once in a boy band, his two solo CDs are friggin' fantastic.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

JackyL

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2008, 08:47 »

You can dump on Rush all you want guys, but they helped give birth to prog rock and you know it. I hope you can at least recognize their contribution to rock as a genera and their exceptional musicianship. As a bass player I feel totally comfortable citing Geddy Lee as the best bass/vocals in rock. His tone is impeccable and I love the emotion and meaning he puts into his lyrics. I don't think any rock musician should be able to look down on such exceptional song writing and musicianship simply because it isn't exactly to their taste.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2008, 08:59 »

Except that I don't care about prog rock in the slightest.

(this is the part where I stand up on a table and admit that I think Pink Floyd fucking suck).
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2008, 08:59 »

"WE ARE THE PRIESTS OF THE TEMPLE OF SYRINX!"

Wow, those are deep lyrics man. Myy mind is blown.
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

bbqrocks

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2008, 09:10 »

I like rush. I don't particularly care for prog rock (I also think Pink Floyd aren't terrific) but I like rush.

bbqrocks

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:40 »

What is their contribution to rock? Dream Theatre? Coheed & Cambria?

I'm pretty sure their contribution to rock is their own music. But you may disagree.

Anyways, why the huge rush discussion?

Spinless

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:46 »

What else are we supposed to talk about in this thread? Let's just see where the discussion takes us! Sit back and relax.

bbqrocks

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:59 »

I haven't and I won't. No music is above criticism.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #17 on: 27 Jan 2008, 13:31 »

I feel totally comfortable citing Geddy Lee as the best bass/vocals in rock.

Do you mean he's the best bassist AND vocalist? Or the best person to do both at once?

Singing and playing bass IS way harder than singing and playing guitar, I'll grant you that. But I find his vocals and bass tone incredibly grating.

I feel bad bagging on Rush because from everything I've read they're all really nice guys (with the possible exception of Neal Peart, but then again I hate anybody who takes Ayn Rand seriously). But yeah, I really do not enjoy their music.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jan 2008, 14:02 »

I'm tired of rather new people coming here and making this assumption that we're all a bunch of uptight-holier-than-thou-elitist-music-snob types.

This.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jan 2008, 14:15 »

Agreed; I've never heard anything that implies Geddy Lee is a bad person, but man, do I hate XYZ.

Anyway, yeah, it must be really grating for the posters that have been around a long time to keep hearing the implication that they're really elitist, although in the case of this thread I think people are being perhaps a bit oversensitive; the OP doesn't seem really confrontational. That said, I've only been really heavily posting for the last month or two (I've been bored), and I've seen at least a half dozen rather backhanded posts implying such, so I understand how even the hint of such accusations can really touch a nerve at this point. But honestly, were I to post about Hall and Oates right now, there'd be some good natured snickering about mustaches, but that's hardly the same as people screeching like howler monkeys and throwing feces at me until I flee the forum.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2008, 14:21 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

bbqrocks

« Reply #20 on: 27 Jan 2008, 14:17 »

I'm a big fan of britney spears.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jan 2008, 14:43 »

But honestly, were I to post about Hall and Oates right now, there'd be some good natured snickering about mustaches

Not at all!  Hall and Oates did some great work in the 70s.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #22 on: 27 Jan 2008, 14:51 »

Having listened to the radio a lot as a toddler, I have great memories of Hall & Oates. I don't care what anybody says, "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" is a ridiculously awesome song.

As for Rush, Geddy Lee is a pretty good bassist, I'll give him that, but his voice grates on my nerves. "Tom Sawyer" is still a pretty okay song.

Can't abide by Tool, though. I like Maynard's voice and all, but their "hardcore" fans are the worst idiots you will ever meet, aside from maybe Skinny Puppy fans. And the last 2 records have been utter shit.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2008, 14:53 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jan 2008, 14:52 »

I feel totally comfortable citing Geddy Lee as the best bass/vocals in rock.

Do you mean he's the best bassist AND vocalist? Or the best person to do both at once?

Singing and playing bass IS way harder than singing and playing guitar, I'll grant you that. But I find his vocals and bass tone incredibly grating.

I feel bad bagging on Rush because from everything I've read they're all really nice guys (with the possible exception of Neal Peart, but then again I hate anybody who takes Ayn Rand seriously). But yeah, I really do not enjoy their music.
Why is it more difficult to do vocals and bass than guitar and bass? I am not being facetious, I really do want to know why, I would think it is easier, but then again, I have a guitarist's natural bias against bass.

Out of the choices listed, I am going to have to go with The Beatles.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #24 on: 27 Jan 2008, 14:57 »

For me, it was very difficult to try and do melody over root notes or fills that often had completely different rhythms and/or syncopations. For some reason playing guitar and singing was just a lot easier for me, back when I tried to sing.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #25 on: 27 Jan 2008, 14:58 »

I uh, really don't appreciate Led Zepplin. In fact I cannot stand Led Zepplin. This isn't becase every 14 year old guy who is learning guitar buys a Led Zepplin shirt and it's not because they are mainstream because they are not anymore. I don't like them because I find their music has not aged well. What I'm sure was once relevant and inspiring has become stale and boring. I don't think it is cool to like old music simply for the sake of liking old music and honestly, in a lot of the people I see who prattle on about bands like Queen, Led Zepplin and INXS, that is why they say they like these bands, in a poseurish attempt to look cool. I am sure, and I would hope, that this is not always the case; merely what I have seen in my limited experience.
I can see the contribution that bands like Led Zepplin made. I am aware that if they didn't exist then a lot of the bands I really like wouldn't exist either (though if Led Zepplin didn't exist there is a good chance that Wolfmother wouldn't either and that would make me so happy). I am also aware that in the early days of psychiartry horrible things were done to people in the name of helping them. Pain was a necessary side-effect. I am not happy that those things happened nor do I approve of them but they were exceptionally influencial in gaining the knowledge we have today. That is basically how I feel about Led Zepplin.

I do however quite like the Beatles. I even like Tool, though they are incredibly self absorbed sometimes I quite like a lot of their songs.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2008, 15:00 »

Two words dude.  Two words.

KIP WINGER.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #27 on: 27 Jan 2008, 15:00 »

Why is it more difficult to do vocals and bass than guitar and bass?

Find the error
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Nodaisho

« Reply #28 on: 27 Jan 2008, 15:04 »

Hmm... guess that is the best answer I am likely to get. Oh well, my singing voice and I aren't on too good terms anyway, I don't need to worry about it all that much. I will probably end up trying to sing at some point in the future, though, I will just have to hope that nobody with too sensitive ears it there when I do.

Bah, Scary, I am barely awake right now, just about every time I try to capitalize something, I have to go back and do it again because my left pinky finger is apparently asleep, and I capitalize a letter about three words down.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #29 on: 27 Jan 2008, 15:08 »

Find the error

Boris?

Nodaisho

« Reply #30 on: 27 Jan 2008, 15:11 »

Either you are talking about a metal band or you are suggesting that I use a Russian that only barely fails to qualify as a mountain, and only communicates in growls to silence all criticism towards my posting. I like the latter one better.

bbqrocks

« Reply #31 on: 27 Jan 2008, 15:17 »

Boris are awesome.

Couldn't you have a guitar+Bass double neck instrument?

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #32 on: 27 Jan 2008, 15:20 »

Find the error

Boris?

Takeshi can play guitar and bass at the same time?
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #33 on: 27 Jan 2008, 15:36 »

Boris are awesome.

Couldn't you have a guitar+Bass double neck instrument?

That's what the guy has (not the girl who does the lead guitar parts).

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXr1nTsWKYk

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #34 on: 27 Jan 2008, 15:48 »

When does something count as mainstream?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #35 on: 27 Jan 2008, 15:48 »

Also, I'd take Phil Lynott over Geddy Lee when it comes to best "mainstream rock" bassist/vocalist hands down every time. I'm not what you'd call a big Thin Lizzy fan, but I think its hard to argue that Rush was the more influential band when you consider Thin Lizzy's use of galloping minor key rhythms and twin guitar leads married to rock melodies as early as the mid-70s. Meanwhile Rush has sterile production and too many drum solos. And hell, there's probably better choices than that, I'm just kind of too drunk to think of anyone else at the moment.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2008, 08:21 by Whipstitch »

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #36 on: 27 Jan 2008, 15:50 »

Singing and playing bass IS way harder than singing and playing guitar, I'll grant you that.

I don't find it that tough, but then again I play in 4/4 almost exclusively.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

bbqrocks

« Reply #37 on: 27 Jan 2008, 15:55 »

When does something count as mainstream?

When your mom knows what it is.

Seriously.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #38 on: 27 Jan 2008, 15:59 »

I actually like quite a few Rush songs.  In most situations I would rather listen to them than Led Zeppelin.

I'd rather listen to any of Pink Floyd's first four albums than either, though.

bbqrocks

« Reply #39 on: 27 Jan 2008, 16:03 »

I would rather listen to the beatles.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #40 on: 27 Jan 2008, 16:06 »

I like When the Levy Breaks but that's about it. No complaints about Pink Floyd.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #41 on: 27 Jan 2008, 16:06 »

For me, the Beatles get old pretty fast, aside from a few songs like "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #42 on: 27 Jan 2008, 16:13 »

Rush are the funniest band on the planet.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #43 on: 27 Jan 2008, 16:20 »

"Tom Sawyer" is still a pretty okay song.

Wait, that's Rush? Whenever that comes on on Rock Band I just pretend it's a rare Led Zeppelin outtake so I can respect it slightly more.

Plus, it has to be done:
WHAT ABOUT THE VOICE OF GEDDY LEE? HOW DID IT GET SO HIGH? I WONDER IF HE SPEAKS LIKE AN ORDINARY GUY?
(I know him, and he does)

Actually, it didn't have to be done, but that song came up on shuffle as I was typing this.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #44 on: 27 Jan 2008, 16:22 »

Coheed and Cambria are the funniest Rush cover band on the planet.

Nodaisho

« Reply #45 on: 27 Jan 2008, 16:29 »

Rush are the funniest band on the planet.
I dunno... Graveyard BBQ are pretty hard to beat for me.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #46 on: 27 Jan 2008, 16:31 »

Coheed and Cambria are the funniest Rush parody on the planet.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #47 on: 27 Jan 2008, 17:33 »

In high school, I was in the library one day and there was this kid, you know those kids, with the expensive black hair? He was one of those kids. They always wore tight pants and overdesigned black hoodies. This particular one was wearing a Coheed and Cambria hoodie (he was also in a "hardcore" band called Love Letters Burn Red). So I asked him, "who the hell are Coheed and Cambria?" and he gave me a nasty look and said something like "fuck you man". So Coheed and Cambria has that going for them. True story.

Around that time I was going around uploading Musick to Play in the Dark onto every computer in the school, so at least I can say I had much better taste than him.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #48 on: 27 Jan 2008, 17:44 »

Rush are amusing. I enjoy them on occasion.  I don't think they gave birth to prog, though, since they weren't making prog records when Yes and King Crimson whatnot were getting there start.  I mean, prog had mostly peaked by the late 70's anyway--mostly the old prog bands were in the process of making pop successes ala' "Owner of a Lonely Heart," by my understanding.

I can understand why people hate Pink Floyd.  They are either absurdly psychedelic and drawn-out (all their pre-Dark Side albums after Barret left, particularly all of Meddle and Wish You Were Here save the singles) or just kinda silly and arguably juvenile (the Wall).  Still, just because I can see where people are coming from doesn't mean I agree with them.  I know that the Beatles are arguably better (indeed, I think by most of my criteria other than "I like them more" they -are- better) but I voted Pink Floyd due to a partiality to Wish You Were Here.

Now that that's over with I think we should turn this thread into one about -our- favorite mainstream bands, partiularly contemporary ones.  I vote Queens of the Stone Age and The White Stripes for myself.

I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #49 on: 27 Jan 2008, 17:57 »

Despite some willfully bad production on a few of their albums (haven't heard them all, so I can only say "a few"), I heartily enjoy Queens of the Stone Age. It's good road music.

They don't seem to be real popular around here, but I enjoy Nine Inch Nails. The lyrics are terrible and embarassing, but I've always liked the music, poppy as it is. And if I had never liked them, I probably would have never discovered Coil, Autechre or Squarepusher, who were all represented through Nothing, although they never actually released albums on that label. Still, I'll never really forgive Trent Reznor for unleashing Marilyn Manson on the world. That shit ain't cool.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up