Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MGMT  (Read 1244 times)

Drostie

MGMT
« on: 27 Jan 2008, 03:38 »

It is completely possible to dislike MGMT's Oracular Spectacular. For example, let's just point to the elephant in the room: it's from Columbia Records, and is therefore Not Indie. However, for your own mental health, I strongly recommend *against* disliking this album. Several songs on their album contain -- somewhere in between tension exposition, and cadence -- pure and unadulterated joy. Unwilling to be categorized as either pop or anti-pop, the album steps out onto an orthogonal vector and just does its own thing.

I really don't know what to compare it to. It reminds me of what Daft Punk might sound like if they tried to musically convey the picture of a fractal. Or if Apple O'-era Deerhoof and just about any of the same-sounding electronica bands of the world had a child together, and then abandoned it to be raised by wolves.

The lyrics are sometimes ironic and sometimes sarcastic, and generally, once the meaning comes through to you, they make you think a bit.

I really don't know how to convey it other than to tell you to go and listen. Check on iTunes or Google up their MySpace, which they call their Mice Space. Their Mice Space is Way Too Colorful -- you have been warned.

[Standard disclaimer: my music preferences are absolutely ridiculous, and have been mocked on IndieTits before. Everything I say is wrong and should be interpreted glibly.]

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
Re: MGMT
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2008, 09:21 »

I saw them open for Of Montreal last month. I liked it but didn't love it. I do remember one thing they said that amused me a lot.

"Kids, we have some very important advice for you tonight. Try uppers. You can do things on them that you can't normally do!"

whatevs, I will check their studio stuff out.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
Re: MGMT
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2008, 06:52 »

I can't believe they're still touring as Of Montreal support, because they were opening up for them something to the tune of three years ago (although I thought I remember there being some sort of connection between the two bands). 

I just remember it being pretty average, but with an entertaining live show.
Pages: [1]   Go Up