THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy  (Read 25064 times)

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
Re: The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
« Reply #50 on: 18 Feb 2008, 15:49 »

Oh British humor. You are so different from American humor that we have given you your own genre of funny.

ME: So, did you like it?

HIM: Well, I guess I can understand how it would be funny in ENGLAND.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Muskrat121

« Reply #51 on: 20 Feb 2008, 09:58 »

I've read all the books and just finished listening to them (makes the work day go a little faster)

I guess the last book is my least favorite, as seems to be the case for a lot of other people.  It just seems so rushed.  The other books just seemed to take there time getting to the point...or lack of point  :-P  I liked the ease of which the other books told the story.  Taking just as much time as was necessary.  Not rushing, but not lagging either.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #52 on: 20 Feb 2008, 10:15 »

I am very tired of HHGTTG.

Everyone and their mother has to reference it on the internet and it is never clever.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Scruffy

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • The Janitor
« Reply #53 on: 21 Feb 2008, 11:03 »

I've read all the books and just finished listening to them (makes the work day go a little faster)

I guess the last book is my least favorite, as seems to be the case for a lot of other people.  It just seems so rushed.  The other books just seemed to take there time getting to the point...or lack of point  :-P  I liked the ease of which the other books told the story.  Taking just as much time as was necessary.  Not rushing, but not lagging either.

I can see why people would not like 5, but I love it.  It has a more human experience.  I mean, loss, tragedy, excitement, with a relaxing pace at the begining.  Course, I've never met anyone who's thought the same as I do.  :lol:

JordyPordy

« Reply #54 on: 22 Feb 2008, 22:47 »

the hitchhikers guide trilogy are 5 of the best books ive ever read.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #55 on: 22 Feb 2008, 23:36 »

I love the 5th book just because of the level of detail describing the making of sandwiches in it.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Muskrat121

« Reply #56 on: 25 Feb 2008, 06:02 »

I love the 5th book just because of the level of detail describing the making of sandwiches in it.

Asside from any other issues I have with the fifth book, that part really, from where it starts to when they leave "The Land of the King" is one of my favorite parts of the series.

improbability driver

« Reply #57 on: 26 Feb 2008, 09:00 »

Everyone and their mother has to reference it on the internet and it is never clever.

Damn, there goes my username.

I've only read the first and second of the trilogy so far (not from lack of interest, but rather a sad lack of time to do so), but yeah I pretty obviously was in love from day one. I had mixed feelings about the movie, though - it was quirky and entertaining on its own, but I had to keep putting the books out of my mind in order to enjoy it, which isn't, you know, something the audience should have to be doing during a film adaptation of a book.

elysium

« Reply #58 on: 27 Feb 2008, 09:37 »

I would agree with that...if you take the movie alone and pretend that it is simply a movie and is not supposed to have anything to do with the series, it wasn't awful. The problem is that the books focused on the minute (as was said before about the detail of making sandwiches), but movies simply don't do that. They go in for big action and explosions etc., which is not what was most important in the books.
Overall though, regardless of age, I feel the series is worth reading. But I may be biased, I once dumped someone for hating the books (and all books in general)...

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #59 on: 12 Apr 2008, 00:52 »

I just wanted to say that this thread is basically the entire reason Malorie is my girlfriend now.  Arguing that leads to love rocks!

Oh, but on topic: the radio series is so easily the best version of it.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Trillian

• Furry furrier
« Reply #60 on: 12 Apr 2008, 01:07 »

We are cute and started talking because we were fighting over Douglas Adams.  Can you think of a better way to start a relationship?  because I can't!  <3

P.S.
The radio series is posted in the mediafire thread in case you stumble across this thread before that one. 
Quote from: zerodrone
When we form our cuddlecore band, can we be like The Kills and get as close to having sex onstage as legally possible?

Last.fm

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #61 on: 12 Apr 2008, 01:12 »

I think the first three parts of the trilogy are great. The last two are... less than great.

spluk

« Reply #62 on: 12 Apr 2008, 14:35 »

heh, i guess that my profile pic explains my love for the trilogy.
I thought that they work really well together, but the last two seem kind of tacked on.
However, if you can sit down and read all 5 in one go (it was a long plane ride) they really work well together.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #63 on: 12 Apr 2008, 18:18 »

My take on Mostly Harmless:

Douglas Adams, sitting in a tiny, but tastefully furnished, London apartment.  "Maybe now they'll finally shut up about Arthur and Trillian!"

Or:

"If killing everyone is good enough for Shakespeare, it's good enough for me!"

Parkent

« Reply #64 on: 12 Apr 2008, 21:38 »

BEST 5 BOOK TRILOGY EVER!!! and yes indeed i do know where my towel is!

muteKi

« Reply #65 on: 13 Apr 2008, 13:04 »

I saw it as a humorous take on nihilism, myself.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #66 on: 13 Apr 2008, 17:53 »

I saw it as a humorous take on nihilism, myself.

Except that he forgot to put the humor in.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #67 on: 13 Apr 2008, 20:01 »

I heard that he had gotten really depressed while he was writing it, so he put in an everyone dies ending. Course, he could have been writing a sequel when he died, I remember hearing that it was either going to be the third Dirk Gently book or the sixth hitch hiker's guide book.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #68 on: 13 Apr 2008, 20:39 »

I think the end of the series was actually true to what it started as.  The Ends of the Earth, a radio program that ended every episode with the Earth being destroyed in a different way.  The BBC didn't go for it, and Marvin the Paranoid Android was among the very few things to survive to the following incarnation.

muteKi

« Reply #69 on: 13 Apr 2008, 23:54 »

THAT'S IT! EVERYBODY DIES!
      /
 :-D

I kinda' liked it, though I will admit the first few books were a fair bit better. I just kept going all, "wait what" through most of it.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #70 on: 14 Apr 2008, 05:14 »

I heard that he had gotten really depressed while he was writing it, so he put in an everyone dies ending. Course, he could have been writing a sequel when he died, I remember hearing that it was either going to be the third Dirk Gently book or the sixth hitch hiker's guide book.

It was the third Dirk Gently book, The Salmon of Doubt that he was writing when he died. The first three chapters of it have been published along with a whole bunch of his essays and general scribblings in what is more or less a biography also called The Salmon of Doubt. It's worth reading actually, very funny stuff.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #71 on: 14 Apr 2008, 22:02 »

To all the people who hated the movie, you guys do know that Mr. Adams wrote it?  And that he has said in numerous places that he never intended each "piece" of the guide series to neccessarily have the others in mind?

The radio play is different from the books is different from the movie is different from the TV show is different from the LPs.

They are all meant to be different takes on the same general idea.

I, for one, thought the movie was excellent, no, it wasnt the book(s), but, based on what Ive read, it was never intended to be.

Also, Mos Def was fantastic as Ford.
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #72 on: 15 Apr 2008, 13:52 »

I liked the movie a lot too.  It doesn't hold a candle to the books, but it's really hard to translate the mental processes of a character to a screen.  It was still pretty funny, and I don't think they could've cast it much better than it was.  Mos Def was indeed awesome.  I want to see Be Kind Rewind because of how he was in this.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #73 on: 15 Apr 2008, 14:48 »

I thought it was a good movie.  Just not good enough to buy.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #74 on: 15 Apr 2008, 16:39 »

I didn't really like Mos Def as Ford actually. Or rather I didn't like how he played him. Mainly because I always saw Ford as being a little bit smarter than how Mos Def made him out to be. So far the most enjoyable Ford (i.e. the one who I think really nailed it) was the guy who was on the BBC tv series.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #75 on: 15 Apr 2008, 17:57 »

Well, to be fair, the first book didn't have him shown as being all that clever.   It just had him sort of forcing his way through things.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #76 on: 15 Apr 2008, 18:02 »

Maybe I should replace "a bit smarter" with "less silly?" I don't know what it was but something about how Mos Def did the role was just a little bit off. I mean, he did it well and if I step away from how I always saw the character his performance was fine but it just didn't quite hit the mark for me.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #77 on: 15 Apr 2008, 18:33 »

The combination of "Ford Prefect" and "less silly" is making my head hurt.

The only problem I had with Mos Def is that in the books, Ford is portrayed as being this incredibly "cool" guy, second only to Zaphod.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #78 on: 15 Apr 2008, 20:41 »

Remember that the original trilogy was written for the market of the late 70s/early 80s.  Adams pretty much rewrote Ford/Zaphod for the 21st century.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #79 on: 15 Apr 2008, 22:48 »

Yeah, but in the movie, Zaphod was still incredibly "cool" yet Ford... wasn't.  He didn't come off as having the confidence that the character in the books always projected.

He still did a great job, it just seemed odd to keep all the characters' essential personalities the same but have Ford's sort of "toned down".

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #80 on: 15 Apr 2008, 22:54 »

I didn't see Zaphod as cool.  I saw him as an insouciant hedonistic frat boy.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #81 on: 15 Apr 2008, 23:07 »

I always thought Zaphod was the kind of cool, that isn't really all that cool, but a lot of people like him and thing he's cool anyway.

Yep.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #82 on: 15 Apr 2008, 23:32 »

Well yeah.  Zaphod is an obnoxious aimless drunkard buffoon, but he's "cool" enough to get elected President of the Galaxy.  He's supposed to have a sort of nameless, naive charm.

Scruffy

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • The Janitor
« Reply #83 on: 17 Apr 2008, 06:27 »

I'll chime in here to say that Zaphod was a pretty cool character in the books, but in the movie, they really didn't play that up too much.  Instead they really played up the silliness, which was okay, although a little too close for home. bush
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up