THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 01:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where do you shop for records in london?  (Read 2115 times)

chma

Where do you shop for records in london?
« on: 02 Feb 2008, 06:09 »

First off, Hello.

About 3 months ago I moved to London with some friends of mine and I'm really enjoying it so far.
Currently we're using a laptop connected to a nice sound system to play all our music. The thing is that I've always been the kind of person that finds enjoyment in owning the actual CD's, rather than have all your favourites downloaded to a computer.
I'm originally from the north of Sweden, and if you manage to maintain a record collection there without a job or any kind of store to go to, I will personally come and high five you, but, now that I'm in London I thought I might start the collection of real records I always secretly dreamed about.
The problem is that I'm pretty lost in where to go, I've already developed a serious dislike for hmv :P
The only nice place I've visited so far is the rough trade near brick lane.

So any tips on where to go would be welcome, both for record shoping and just to hang out.

/chma

Tago Mago

• Larger than most fish
Re: Where do you shop for records in london?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Feb 2008, 06:20 »

Berwick Street in Soho's got some great stores. I've only been once, but it was a trip.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #2 on: 02 Feb 2008, 06:56 »

If you like soul, go check out Soul Brother Records in East Putney. They've even got a website! http://www.soulbrother.com/. It's a bit of a pain in the arse to get to being all the way out there, but it's worth it. I searched high and low in every record store I entered in more than one country for Soul Man and Hold On, I'm Coming by Sam & Dave, and Soul Brother was the only place I found them. And that includes the H.M.V. and the Virgin Megastore on Oxford Street - although those are both very good, too, if you don't mind shopping at a soulless mega-corporation (the H.M.V. usually has a better selection than the Virgin).

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #3 on: 02 Feb 2008, 07:13 »

We had a record store here in Melbourne called Sister Ray. Probably named after the London shop. It was okay. Then it closed down.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: 02 Feb 2008, 07:19 »

RESURRECTION RECORDS, CAMDEN.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

chma

« Reply #5 on: 03 Feb 2008, 12:20 »

Nice, thanks.
I'll check some of them out next time I'm off work (but god knows when that will be  :-P)
Pages: [1]   Go Up