THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: now they need to do a study about dresses  (Read 58891 times)

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
Re: now they need to do a study about dresses
« Reply #200 on: 13 Feb 2008, 07:52 »

Heh. It is really quite horrible, actually, because I have lost so much weight recently that my corset is too big for me now even when it is completely laced.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Mitora

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #201 on: 13 Feb 2008, 20:38 »

Oh man, if I have any opinion at all let it be on this. Those dresses pictured above are NOT awesome. They are the opposite of awesome. Formless dresses are horrible and deny the human form its beauty. And I like the beauty, I really do, I mean I may not care about the feet as much but they are like, 3% of the human body. C'mon, its like being born a peasant in the middle ages where you're forced to wear a shapeless burlap bag, why would anyone want that?

Yay first post here.

Well, I don't like completely formless dresses, but empire waist dresses do wonder on me even though I am a curvy girl. Especially when the fabric occasionally shows off my hips. Its very flattering on me. Things that go in at the waist and then flair out work very well for me too. It just depends on the person.

Bubble skirts are horrible for most however.

As for shoes, well I can wear some heels all day and others I can barely tolerate. It depends on what angle my foot is at and how well made the shoe is. I'm very pick about flats, I agree with some of the other posters on how they dont work for some girls and some outfits. I usually wear mine with jeans. With skirts I find it much more flattering to wear a moderate heel for my legs. I'm not very tall so it helps my height too.

Toe cleavage, lol. My pair of flats has just the slightest hint of it. Nothing like the pictures shown in the thread, its more of just a peek of my big toe/second toe. Its barely noticable but it makes me twitch a little. I couldnt tolerate anything like the pictures.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #202 on: 13 Feb 2008, 22:00 »

The only "moderate heels" I own are ones that matched prom dresses.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #203 on: 14 Feb 2008, 06:33 »

My sister has a personal enjoyment of 4" heels and she's already 5'10. She will only date guys who are taller than 6'3 because of it.

Basically what I am trying to say is that my sister's doing it wrong.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #204 on: 14 Feb 2008, 07:23 »

So... what is the big deal with the girls having to be shorter than the guys? I never understood that.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #205 on: 14 Feb 2008, 08:06 »

I dated a guy who was 5'7" (I'm 5'10", and I admire KJS's sister's guts). The only thing that bothered me about him was that he was a bit of a jerk and that had nothing to do with his height. Though I like height, it's not the end of the world if I like a guy who's shorter than me and since I don't wear heels this often, it doesn't matter much anyways.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #206 on: 14 Feb 2008, 10:09 »

I'm pretty sure it's just the natural result of short guys being selected against, basically-- it's awfully hard to get big, tall and strong while you're starving to death (heights increased drastically all over the place after the agricultural revolution), so if nothing else height used to be a prime indicator that you could take care of yourself and were well fed. Height's been considered a virtue since at least the classical period and modern researchers have looked at the "What I'm looking for" preferences found on dating websites and noted that women are way more likely to put in a minimum height preference than explicitly mention that men be in good shape or work at a job that pays more than McDonald's. Of course, people tend to be more flexible than that in reality (especially men), since attraction rarely matches up completely with what people think they want, but the general sentiment seems pretty ingrained at this point.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 10:15 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #207 on: 14 Feb 2008, 11:06 »

One of the sexiest women I've ever known was like 6'1 when I knew her. Haven't talked to her since sophomore year, so that would've put me at like 5'8.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #208 on: 14 Feb 2008, 11:26 »

it's awfully hard to get big, tall and strong while you're starving to death (heights increased drastically all over the place after the agricultural revolution), so if nothing else height used to be a prime indicator that you could take care of yourself and were well fed.

That's true. My medieval history professor told us that the reason people were so short in the dark ages was because their diet was so crappy. Not enough protein, I think, was what caused it. And since people have been getting what they needed in their diets for the past few hundred years, people got taller. Yay history!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #209 on: 14 Feb 2008, 12:18 »

It is somewhat unfortunate for those of us who are healthy and still rather short though. I'm only 5'8", but as I once jokingly told my 6'8" Russian friend, for being an Irish-Mexican mutt I am huge.  :roll:
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 12:25 by Whipstitch »

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #210 on: 14 Feb 2008, 13:24 »

Actually, you arent the only irish-mexican mutt I've ever met. My two best friends when I live din Lubbock were the guys John and Steven, and while Steven was relatively tall(I finally outgrew him in height, he's prolly 5'8 to 5'10) his brother John was born with a couple birth defects that hindered his height by quite a bit. Problems with his ankles and wrists that took years of surgery to get right and working. That plus the coolest ingrown toe ever(no, not toenail, toe) that grew over another one of his toes. He had stacked toes. I was always a bit envious of it, but I wonder now if it ever hurt him. I may be remembering this entirely wrong, but I think he got leg lengthening surgery recently, which help adds to my Dad's theory that he had a very mild form of some kind of dwarfism. He's still taller than his dad ever was though, and his mom was taller than his dad. I've confused myself with this conversation.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #211 on: 14 Feb 2008, 15:06 »

Oh hey, you guys! I made breakthrough research!

My boyfriend likes toe cleavage.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #212 on: 14 Feb 2008, 18:23 »

I'm so sorry for you, but you're going to have to leave him.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Nodaisho

« Reply #213 on: 14 Feb 2008, 18:31 »

It is somewhat unfortunate for those of us who are healthy and still rather short though. I'm only 5'8", but as I once jokingly told my 6'8" Russian friend, for being an Irish-Mexican mutt I am huge.  :roll:
Did he tell you to cry some more?

I didn't know Irish people were short. Scottish people seem to be frikkin huge, so I suppose that balances out for me. I am 6' and growing some, probably hit 6'1" or 6'2".

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #214 on: 14 Feb 2008, 19:28 »

One of the sexiest women I've ever known was like 6'1 when I knew her. Haven't talked to her since sophomore year, so that would've put me at like 5'8.

How tall are you now then?

Also, for the record, I am a proud short person measuring in at 5'3". I get it from my mom.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #215 on: 14 Feb 2008, 19:37 »

Did he tell you to cry some more?

I didn't know Irish people were short. Scottish people seem to be frikkin huge, so I suppose that balances out for me. I am 6' and growing some, probably hit 6'1" or 6'2".

Of course not, that would have been rude, especially considering he's the one who brought up height in that coversation to begin with. I rather like being my height; he bitches about being tall more than I've ever bitched about being short (besides I'm not even really -that- short; nobody makes a big deal about being 5'8" unless you're a football or basketball player, in my experience). I wear a medium or a large and he gets stuck either paying a fortune or wearing t-shirts that say goofy crap like "Big Dog" on the front. 5'8" is roughly the median height between American women and American men once you average them out; I live in this wonderful world where I can reach virtually everything yet have plenty of legroom on air planes, whereas he lives in a world where sitting in the back of a sports car requires coaching from a contortionist. On the other hand, modeling typically requires you to be around 6 foot or so at least (not that it'd be an option for me even if I was tall, but just sayin'), because height is considered part of the beauty ideal in the United States, so there's pros and cons however you look at it.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 19:43 by Whipstitch »

Nodaisho

« Reply #216 on: 14 Feb 2008, 19:58 »

That was a TF2 reference, there is a giant russian in the game, and I couldn't help imagining your friend as him. One of his battle cries is "Cry some more!"

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #217 on: 14 Feb 2008, 19:59 »

So... what is the big deal with the girls having to be shorter than the guys? I never understood that.

Me either! I have never had a problem with it.

Lunchy I am really sorry to hear about your boyfriend. Don't worry too much about it, though, because there are lots of fish in the sea. Just let us know if you need a shoulder to cry on in the interim.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #218 on: 14 Feb 2008, 20:00 »

Ah, never really played TF2 much; FPS games have never really been my "thing."

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #219 on: 14 Feb 2008, 20:06 »

Hello, dipshits, we have a whole other board for games and stuff! This is not even the right thread for this! Get with the program!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #220 on: 14 Feb 2008, 20:18 »

I live in this wonderful world where I can reach virtually everything yet have plenty of legroom on air planes, whereas he lives in a world where sitting in the back of a sports car requires coaching from a contortionist.

This is true for me, too, and there's a 10" difference between me and your friend! The only time I'm really really happy with my height is at concerts, because I always have a good view. (Only once was I behind someone taller than me, but I was pinned into him by the jerk behind me, and shortly after that I moved to a place where I could see and wasn't being squished. But I am nice about height at concerts - I make room for my friends so they can see, as I can see over their heads and I don't do that thing where I shove myself in front of others, because that's rude.) But yes, getting into the back of vehicles when there is no door right next to the seat, such as sports cars or vans, one must be flexible.

But back to shoes! I was looking at shoes the other day and I tried on several pairs, ranging from cute to hilarious, but I tried on a pair of wedge platform things for the hell of it and I realized that they made my feet look really small, as the jeans I was wearing were a little long. I already think my feet are small compared to the rest of me, but it kind of scared me, so I took them off. But the good thing was I discovered I could still walk in tall shoes and not fall over. But this did not involve stairs or a slope of any kind, so who knows how I'd survive outside of the store.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #221 on: 14 Feb 2008, 20:22 »

Wedges are fantastic. They are so comfortable and for short people like me they make you feel better because you're taller.
Liz is touching me.

Nodaisho

« Reply #222 on: 14 Feb 2008, 20:31 »

Hello, dipshits, we have a whole other board for games and stuff! This is not even the right thread for this! Get with the program!
Please accept my most sincere apologies for attempting to make a joke related to a video game in a non video game forum.

Yeah... I hate sports cars with the 2+2 seating for the back seats. And also because I always feel like I am about to shove my head through the ceiling, maybe I don't lean the chairs back far enough.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #223 on: 14 Feb 2008, 20:55 »

Oh hey, you guys! I made breakthrough research!

My boyfriend likes toe cleavage.
You definitely need to break up with that freaky pervert now.

Afterwards, you should move somewhere new. The change of scenery will take your mind off your troubles. Somewhere really far away, like, oh I don't know, Chicago maybe.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 20:57 by jhocking »

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #224 on: 14 Feb 2008, 21:05 »

Guys, espadrilles yes or no?

I like them well enough, but most of them don't have tall enough heels for my taste, and the ones that do I can never buy because they are like $90 or something crazy like that.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #225 on: 14 Feb 2008, 21:15 »

I'm mixed on espadrilles. From the safe distance of my computer, I think they are exceptionally goofy looking shoes unless very carefully paired with the right outfit. In person, the damned silhouette exagerrating properties of high heels reduce my brain to so much silly putty. Stupid biological imperatives.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 21:19 by Whipstitch »

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #226 on: 14 Feb 2008, 22:44 »

Espadrilles only if you already have really cute feet. And you're only allowed to wear them during the day (though they are passable for sundowners) in summer and spring.

Espadrilles only work in the sun.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 22:49 by McTaggart »

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #227 on: 14 Feb 2008, 22:48 »

The only place I could ever imagine wearing a pair of espadrilles is the beach.  And that would only be if it was the kind with the solid, low canvas upper, not the crazy rope-winding-halfway-up-your-leg kind.  

But the first place I heard about espadrilles was in the F. Scott Fitzgerald novel Tender is the Night, which is one of my favorite books, and I might conceivably consider buying a pair just so I could be more like Rosemary Hoyt.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #228 on: 15 Feb 2008, 00:25 »

I'm roughly 5'11 though I might be 6' now that all my clothes seem to be too short? My girlfriend wears giant stompy boots with 4 inch platforms. Without shoes she is about 5'10.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #229 on: 15 Feb 2008, 01:20 »

How tall are you now then?

About 6'0. I ain't stoppin' there, either, my dad didn't stop growing until he was like 22.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #230 on: 15 Feb 2008, 03:20 »

Man my dad was like 5'10" from high school until his sophomore year in college. When he came back from summer vacation to start his junior year, he had grown 6 inches.

(Since I am female, this translated to me not being finished growing until I was a senior in high school.)

I like this kind of espadrille, and this kind, except not in denim. I used to dance, so I would probably end up tying ridiculous ribbons off like pointe shoe ribbons, not halfway up my leg like greek sandals.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2008, 03:25 by calenlass »

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #231 on: 15 Feb 2008, 05:34 »

As long as there are no clouds, it is warm and you are wearing a light summery dress and are getting icecream cones with your friends. You do live on the coast right?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #232 on: 15 Feb 2008, 07:43 »

I have a pair of espadrilles. I got them for two dollars and was very happy. Last summer I wore them to a wedding and it was very nice.
Liz is touching me.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #233 on: 15 Feb 2008, 07:53 »

Espadrilles look ridiculous on me, mostly because of my gigantic feet.  It's sad because I find them to be adorable with certain things, and I love wearing adorable shoes.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #234 on: 15 Feb 2008, 07:57 »

Eh. They can be cute. Idunno I'm still not convinced heels are all that great.

To be fair I've been walking in the City of the Heels all day today so I am probably just desensitized. That said, Albanian women scare the shit out of me.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #235 on: 15 Feb 2008, 08:14 »

Espadrilles are cute in warm weather with summer dresses. I used to have a pair when I was younger and loved them to bits. But they are like all shoes: some are cute, some are fugly.

mooface

« Reply #236 on: 16 Feb 2008, 02:44 »

Idunno I'm still not convinced heels are all that great.

I Will Convince You.

edit:

shapeless bubble dress that is way too short yay!  i have weird knees :\

i love these shoes so much they are my favorite things ever and i only wish my camera didn't suck because they are a much darker, prettier purple in real life.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2008, 05:39 by mooface »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #237 on: 16 Feb 2008, 07:22 »

Guilty by association doesn't apply to being absurdly cute, MaiAda. Sorry.

That dress is all kinds of adorable though.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #238 on: 16 Feb 2008, 18:01 »

Everyone has wierd knees.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #239 on: 16 Feb 2008, 21:02 »

Oh man I am so wanting to commit an Achewood foul. Instead, I will just point out the obvious with a "HOLY SHIT THOSE FIRST SHOES ARE AWESOME AND I WANT TO STEAL THEM/You look fantastic in everything and so I hate you".
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #240 on: 16 Feb 2008, 21:33 »

Guys I disagree. My knees are fucking awesome.

Shit I was going to post a picture, but I don't have anything really good in my secret dump uploaded right now.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #241 on: 19 Feb 2008, 03:59 »

I have rad knees. Too bad you can't see them.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #242 on: 19 Feb 2008, 05:30 »

Is that carpet or floor tiles? Either way it is pretty awesome.
Liz is touching me.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #243 on: 19 Feb 2008, 05:48 »

Floor tiles would be better and so fucking excellent.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #244 on: 19 Feb 2008, 07:33 »

It is a tile floor with a rug on top! It is the best of both worlds!

I wish I had a timer function on that fucker so I could do visible photowhoring.

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #245 on: 19 Feb 2008, 07:54 »

my favorite shoes ever - found at a thrift store, and since passed on to a new life:

Oh how I miss them. I haven't been able to find that comfy of shoes since.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #246 on: 19 Feb 2008, 08:04 »

I want those tiles in my house. Please take them up and mail them to me in a timely manner.
Liz is touching me.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #247 on: 19 Feb 2008, 14:48 »

Liz, get your own fucking tiles.

As for those Chucks, well, you could, like, go buy a new pair and break them in by hiking in them every weekend for half a year. That's what I've done with the pair I am wearing right now. They are gorgeous and when the hour is more reasonable I will take and post pixxx.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #248 on: 19 Feb 2008, 15:18 »

I'm sure you could spare a few. For me? You know you love me.
Liz is touching me.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #249 on: 19 Feb 2008, 15:50 »

I am kindof using them right now!