THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 02:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dental Hygiene  (Read 13527 times)

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Dental Hygiene
« on: 06 Feb 2008, 06:07 »

How about it folks? How often do you brush? Do you floss? Do you use mouthwash? Do you have an cavities or fillings? any replacement teeth?

Me, I think I'm pretty good. No fillings, got a full set of my own teeth which would appear to be nice and strong. Brush three times a day, floss and use mouthwash while I'm at it. I wasn't as good about it when I was younger, and sometimes I slip and go a few days without, but the only thing I'm really lax on is visits to the dentist. That's because getting a dental appointment on the NHS means that I'll be playing Duke Nukem forever before they finally get round to seeing me, though.

let's hear your stories.

ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
Re: Dental Hygiene
« Reply #1 on: 06 Feb 2008, 06:15 »

I brush in the morning or before I'm going out. I don't floss or use mouthwash. I have all my own teeth with no fillings. I haven't been to the dentist since one came to my highschool when I was about 14. My teeth are reasonably healthy looking and certainly strong. My gums are healthy and fairly pink but they bleed sometimes when I brush but only if I've been smoking the night before. All in all, I keep meaning to go to the dentist but I just don't have the time.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

öde

« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 2008, 06:25 »

I have a few fillings but I've picked up on my teethbrushing. I never really got into the habit, but I'm sick of going to the dentist and I want nice teeth (they look better already!). I don't floss often, mainly because it doesn't fit between most of my teeth and I use mouthwash when we have it. I brush whenever I wash, and/or before I go out, and if my teeth feel a bit icky.

I hope with brighter teeth that I'll look normal smiling with them out. At the moment they look really narrow compared to how wide my mouth opens when smiling. Odd!

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #3 on: 06 Feb 2008, 06:56 »

I will admit: I have horrible teeth. I had braces when i was younger, so you'd think i would take care of them now, right? Hardly! I brush semi-regularly, and I do use mouthwash, now that I've found one that doesn't make me gag. I have quite a few fillings from when I was younger. I abor dentists (and really anyone in a medical practice), and everytime they go they tell me I need to brush and floss more, which I should, but it's just so much easier to ignore it. It's not like they're rotting out of my head or anything.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #4 on: 06 Feb 2008, 07:04 »

I drink too much coffee. My teeth are not as white as they could be. They are silly shapes and not very grown-up looking even though I had braces. When I smile naturally there is too much gum. I have wire retainers on my top and bottom teeth and the top one is kind of unstuck on the left side even though I have had it fixed several times. I play with it with my tongue and it feels uncomfortable and sometimes it catches on hard food and really hurts. Maybe this year is the year to get the wires taken off? Toothpaste is strange but I brush every day before I leave the house and before I go to bed. I can't floss because it gets shredded between my teeth and the retainers. My teeth are healthy enough. I don't have fillings. I will maybe need a veneer one day because when I had my wisdom teeth out the enamel on one of my front teeth cracked and you can't see it but you can feel it with your tongue. I am missing the two mini molars beside my canines on the top because they had to be taken out to allow my buck teeth to squash back. I only have three teeth in the front at the bottom instead of four. Why are we talking about teeth? Teeth is kind of a gross subject.

dr.sangaygupta

« Reply #5 on: 06 Feb 2008, 07:06 »

Usually I brush twice a day, I have wonderful teeth, and I only had fillings before my adult teeth. However, I have chipped my two front teeth on the bottom of a pool (these are my permanent ones) and now, they are basically plaster teeth (I haven't had caps put in yet). Going to the dentist isn't all that bad. they like me for the most part.

pen

• Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #6 on: 06 Feb 2008, 07:10 »

I have pretty good teeth.  I brush at least once a day, twice if I'm at work (I have a brush at my desk to remind me after lunch).  I brush with my daughter before bed, too.  Her dad does/is supposed to do it with her in the morning.  I floss when I remember, which is about once a week, and mouthwash very rarely.  I need to be in a mood.  I LOVE going to the dentist because I love to feel a clean mouth.  I haven't been in a couple years though due to lack of insurance. I had one cavity when I was little, and my diet is poor (too much sugar!) so I probably have another.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #7 on: 06 Feb 2008, 07:23 »

I have pretty healthy teeth. Never had a cavity, so no fillings, and I have all my teeth (minus the wisdom teeth). I brush at least once daily, sometimes twice if I feel the need to. I floss occasionally, but probably not as often as I should, but I just can't get into the habit. Mouth wash burns, so I don't use that either. I probably should have had braces when I was younger, but I didn't, so I live with my teeth being imperfect, as they are healthy and pretty white. Also: I visit the dentist twice a year, as I'm still technically on my mom's insurance due to still being in school.
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2008, 07:27 by Linds »
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

pen

• Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #8 on: 06 Feb 2008, 07:24 »

Have you tried mouthwash without alcohol?  Biotene is really good.  That's what I had to use when I got my tongue pierced, and it didn't burn at all.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #9 on: 06 Feb 2008, 07:27 »

No idea. The orange Listerine isn't too bad, but I just don't really feel it's necessary, as I'd just rather brush my teeth again.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #10 on: 06 Feb 2008, 07:29 »

I floss and brush twice daily, but only pre-rinse and rinse in the morning. I also chew whitening gum, eat only apples and celery, and weekly take my teeth to a detailing service.

I'm also pulling your leg so hard it's now dislocated. Try not to walk on it too much...

ThePQ4

« Reply #11 on: 06 Feb 2008, 08:25 »

Have you tried mouthwash without alcohol?  Biotene is really good.  That's what I had to use when I got my tongue pierced, and it didn't burn at all.

I -love- the Crest Pro-Dental stuff!!! It actually tastes pretty good! It's not too strong and I can actually keep in my mouth for the full 30 seconds you're supposed to swish for. My Grandfather always used Listerine, which made me gag. It was just waaaaay to strong. My Aunt cuts it with water when she uses it, but you'd think that would kind of defeat it's purpose?

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #12 on: 06 Feb 2008, 09:18 »

I always brush at night, and in the morning if I remember/have skank morning mouth/wake up with a decent amount of time before class. I floss only occasionally, but overall I have pretty good teeth despite not having braces when I was younger. My two front teeth look normal, but they are about half the thickness they ought to be, thanks to an ex-boyfriend's knee. The teeth bent back but held on, and the roots died. To get them a normal white color again, I've had a considerable amount of tooth taken off the back and tons of bleaching treatments- I know my dentists pretty well by now:/ By the time I am about 25, I'm going to need crowns for both of them, because dead teeth don't exactly stick around too long. Lovely.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #13 on: 06 Feb 2008, 09:21 »

I brush twice daily with expensive-ass toothpaste and floss at least once every couple of days if not daily.

It doesn't really help. I have 13 teeth with fillings, one with a crown, and one of the fillinged teeth, I think, might be abscessed now, because I have an open sore on my gums near it and it was scheduled to get a crown next month.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

psyne

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #14 on: 06 Feb 2008, 09:48 »

I'm going in to the dentist in a few weeks to get a crown in! Yay!

I've got pretty bad teeth, which is part my fault and part not. I do brush every day, but I don't floss or do anything extra - which is enough for some people, but I've got a natural fluoride deficiency or something like that. So I get a lot of cavities. And apparently one of my fillings went in too deep and screwed up my tooth root, so I had to get a root canal. Although to be honest the actual procedure was a RELIEF compared to living with it before. I was at college and had never been to a dentist in the area, so when I felt a tooth hurting I just figured, "Man, nasty cavity. I'll up the brushing so it doesn't get worse and deal with it when I go home for Christmas." So I ignored it and it kept getting more and more painful, to the point that it was causing massive headaches and if I even slightly tapped my teeth together on that side, it hurt so bad that I started tearing up reflexively. Collectively that grand experience was the worst pain I've ever felt.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #15 on: 06 Feb 2008, 09:49 »

My dental hygiene is well-documented.

I have a few fillings but I take care of my teeth. Besides that, why give a shit? Teeth are a really weird thing to be aesthetically concerned about yet a lot of people seem to care.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #16 on: 06 Feb 2008, 11:07 »

I'm a wicked dental slacker. I generally only brush in the morning, I almost never floss and I use mouth wash only when going out or when I've recently eaten something that will smell me up. I'll occasionally brush my teeth right before bed if I've been drinking as I hate to wake up with that disgusting "I've been up all night drinking" breath. I haven't been to a dentist in about four years (Mostly for lack of insurance, but I have full dental at my current job and am just lazy about finding a good one).

That said, my teeth are pretty quality. My family is puzzled by my teeth as they don't properly fit either side. My mom's side has always had disgustingly unhealthy teeth. My gramma's teeth were all gone by the time I was born (When she was in her early fifties) and my mom has an ass-ton of cavities. They're wicked straight, though and I got that part. Meanwhile, my dad's always had healthy teeth as has his entire family. He didn't go to a dentist for the first time until age nineteen. He got his first cavity a couple years ago (He's 55) and has always had insanely healthy teeth, but he's got a gap kinda like David Letterman (As do my younger brother and older sister). I had a little bit of one, but it closed up by the time I hit High School. My wisdom teeth came in fine, with no impacting (Barely, and it was a painful process). I've never had, nor needed braces, nor have I ever had a cavity. The worst I've dealt with is my own fault.

My teeth are a bit yellowish, mostly because of dark soda. When I'm drinking Coke or Pepsi regularly, they go a bit yellow, but I'm currently avoiding caffeine and they're fading back to a slight off white. I could stand to brush a bit more as my gums do bleed occasionally and the gums themselves could be healthier. I also have a small chip in one of my front teeth from when I inexplicably forgot that I am not the Incredible Hulk and cannot bite through steel (Tried to bite through a guitar string). Other than that, though, they're strong as Hell. I once tripped by an unlit campground fireplace (One of those small, metal barrel ones) and landed my front teeth directly on the edge. I also caught a baseball right in the mouth when I was seventeen and aside from being sore for a couple days, I had no ill effects.

Maybe it's cause I drink a whole fuckload of milk.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #17 on: 06 Feb 2008, 11:52 »

I had perfect teeth my entire life. I hit 21, supposedly my last growth spurt, and my teeth slowly move apart. I now have a small gap between a canine and an incisor while my two front teeth are now squished together. I'm considering braces, but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #18 on: 06 Feb 2008, 12:10 »

Oh man, my teeth are fucked up. I inherited a very narrow jaw from my mom so I've had to get at least 2 or 3 teeth pulled because it was too crowded or some shit. On top of that, I'm just naturally missing a bunch more. On my upper jaw, I'm missing whatever you call the 2 teeth on either side of the front 2 incisors, so my canines are really visible, making me look rather like a vampire, until my orthodontist filed down the points a few years back to make it less noticeable. Also, I apparently only have 1 wisdom tooth that's apparently never gonna need to be taken out. I had braces 2 separate times for at least a year or 2 each, and have a retainer bar on my lower jaw. I think I actually still have a retainer that I got in high school that as far as I know they never told me to stop wearing at night but I haven't touched it in at least 3 or 4 years.

Hygiene-wise, I do okay. I have a couple small fillings, but nothing too bad. I brush and use mouthwash twice daily in the mornings and before bed, and I just a couple weeks ago I started flossing every night. I drink a fair amount of coffee so they're not particularly white, but they're not heavily stained or anything either. I was thinking of trying out the white strip things but I dunno if it's worth it, they're not all that cheap. Whitening toothpaste doesn't do shit, however.

ThePQ4

« Reply #19 on: 06 Feb 2008, 12:14 »

Lucky beast... Before I could get braces, I had to have 6 teeth pulled, just to make room for them to move as they straightened. It was pretty crazy. I had it done in two sessions when I was in the 3rd grade, I think.

That is why I hate dentists. Getting my mouth numbed was one of the worst experiences of my life, and I hated having it done --although, I think I looked pretty darn cute in braces. I wouldn't mind getting the invisible ones to re-straighten them, since they are now fucked up again. I am sorry Mom, for wasting your money on my horrible, horrible teeth.

Bibliophile

• Emoticontraindication
  • <:3)~~
« Reply #20 on: 06 Feb 2008, 12:17 »

I have 2.5 fillings (one wasn't done correctly and needed fixing) from when I was young and lazy about my teeth. These days I brush morning and night, sometimes with a manual and sometimes with an electric toothbrush, depending on my mood. I also use Listerine but I hate it. I am one of those "evolved" people who will never get wisdom teeth. Which is pretty ironic because unlike most, I have plenty of room for them. I haven't been to a dentist in years because I can't afford to. But I would like to because I love the way super clean teeth feel and it's also nice to be positive you don't have any problems rather than be pretty sure. The front of my two front top teeth are cracked from an accident when they met some cement and did not get along, but apparently they didn't suffer structurally at all. 4 of my teeth have turned in their sockets over time (don't grind your teeth, people - apparently I do it in my sleep) but no-one can tell unless I open wide, tilt my head right back and point them out. Since I don't tend to do that, I will not bother with the expense of braces to have them corrected.

I am trying to organise our wedding for July (I'm getting married if you didn't know yet!) but looking at so many pictures of incredibly beautiful, Hollywood smile brides has done terrible things to my self-esteem. My teeth are too round, so I look like that Bertha lady from Garfield who eats too much. I prefer photos where I am smiling but you can't see my teeth (or preferrably my face at all - see avatar.)
If television is a babysitter, the internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up.

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #21 on: 06 Feb 2008, 12:25 »

I really didn't mind getting my mouth numbed for all the stuff I had to have done. Probably because they gave me laughing gas, which is fun as shit.

No one here should really be complaining about any oral surgery they've had, because I watched my friend experience the most intense oral surgery I've ever heard of, and I count my blessings that I don't need the same. He was born with birth defects, including a cleft palate, and had at least a dozen surgeries to fix his palate and other things (his hands are messed up too, some fingers are fused together and such) before he was 2 years old. When we were in high school, he had all of his teeth extracted and  titanium bars screwed into his jawbones, and now he has a complete set of fake teeth which sorta snap onto the bars. They had to wait for the wounds to heal before screwing in the bars, so for about 2 or 3 months he had no teeth at all and had to gum all his food. At least he was continually doped up on codeine for the first month or so.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #22 on: 06 Feb 2008, 12:26 »

I am one of those "evolved" people who will never get wisdom teeth.

I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #23 on: 06 Feb 2008, 12:45 »

my teeth aren't great, but considering i have never needed braces or retainers or anything of that sort i think they turned out pretty okay. they're straight and all but completely yellowed due to consistent smoking/coffee drinking. they have small pieces missing here and there from my various facial piercings and overall stupid ideas. generally, though, they look okay when i smile. i'm pretty much the only person who can feel the missing bits, and i don't really care enough about the colour of my teeth to have them professionally whitened. i have lots of cavities, but the fillings are the same colour as my teeth so who cares?

my biggest concern is my gums. these also look pretty okay but i've been told over and over again that if i don't start paying attention to them i will experience some serious receding gum problems in the near future. there's actually a couple of teeth where the roots i think are starting to become exposed a bit. this year, for the first time ever, i finally started to floss on a daily basis. i have no idea if this is doing anything at all for the receding gum thing but my gums don't bleed as much anymore which is pretty nice.

lots of people don't floss so here's an incentive: apparantly, the majority of bad breath is caused by bits of food stuck between your teeth that are literally decomposing and rotting in your mouth. tasty.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #24 on: 06 Feb 2008, 13:00 »

I have a gap that would make Condoleezza Rice jealous...

Spinless

« Reply #25 on: 06 Feb 2008, 13:04 »

I have all my own teeth, and no fillings. For now, anyway. My teeth have always been a little crooked, making it look like I have fangs. I have given up smoking and drinking coffee and other teeth-staining products, so perhaps I can now achieve a white smile. I doubt my teeth are very strong, ever since I started using listerine daily, they seem to be taking on an almost translucent surface. This worries me, so I switched to another mouthwash. But that just caused mouth ulcers and made it too painful to brush, so I switched back. Now, if I stop, mouth ulcers return.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #26 on: 06 Feb 2008, 13:05 »

I am one of those "evolved" people who will never get wisdom teeth.

My mom was like that. It probably explains why I only got 2.5 wisdom teeth. (One of them was really tiny.) But they were impacted and gave me migrains, so they had to come out.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #27 on: 06 Feb 2008, 13:20 »

I have given up smoking and drinking coffee

Yay!

I will admit that my dental hygiene is pretty bad. It was horrid when I was a kid/young adult, which is why I now have four or five fillings. Can't recall exactly. According to my dentist this is because my teeth are apparently incredibly "groovy" along the tops, so food gets stuck in there real good that brushing can't necessarily remove.

My first wisdom tooth is coming in right now, and it's growing at a really odd angle, so I hope the little guy straightens out. If he does I'm pretty sure he won't have to get pulled, as there is plenty of space back there.

Also I have one tooth, second incisor on the top left, that started growing in long before the baby tooth in that spot was ready to fall out, so by the time it reached the surface of my gums and the dentist pulled the baby tooth, it had already been redirected farther back. So now I have one ridiculously crooked tooth while the rest aren't all that bad.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #28 on: 06 Feb 2008, 13:26 »

I have all of my wisdom teeth, but they all fit in my mouth so none had to be pulled. I guess I just have a huge jaw or something, goes with my XXL hat size. They hurt like hell however when they came in, considering there was just a large lump of gum in the same spot my entire life up till that point.

My teeth are okay, I think. I mean, they aren't the brightest shade of white but they aren't really yellow either. I brush regularly enough (usually only once a day) but I don't floss or use mouthwash. I should start flossing again I suppose. I only went to a dentist for the first time last year, and I didn't have any cavaties or deformities or problems or anything. I do have a complaint abotu how my teeth look like they should belong to a werewolf, but apparently my dentist says my alignment is fine so I don't know what that's all about.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

ummmkay

• Curry sauce
« Reply #29 on: 06 Feb 2008, 13:41 »

Misconception, I have the same groove problem thing! My dentist is always like "it's not even your fault so don't worry about it." She also tells me that I have one of the smallest mouths she's ever seen.

Anyway I have had a couple fillings here and there, and I got my wisdom teeth out sometime last year. They were all impacted and I got all doped up and I don't even remember how I got home from the dental place. I also had braces and contraptions for a while in middle school/high school but I don't remember how long. Two or three years, maybe? Basically now I have teeth that are averagely straight and averagely white.

lady_bugged

« Reply #30 on: 06 Feb 2008, 14:06 »

This is a very strange topic.

I have good teeth. When I was younger, the dentist's assistant asked me if I'd ever had braces, because my teeth were so straight. That was probably the highlight of my life at the time. Unfortunately, my teeth are packed in really tightly, and my wisdom teeth have been coming in for a couple years now - very, very slowly - and they're squishing my two front bottom teeth just enough to make them not-as-straight-as-the-rest, which kind of bothers me. I need to get them out, but it's about five hundred dollars a tooth, and my university health plan only covers half of it, so it's still kind of expensive.

I'm kind of paranoid about my teeth. I usually brush twice a day, remember to floss about half the time, and use mouthwash when we happen to have some. My gums bleed pretty much every time I brush, which probably isn't a good thing. I should see a dentist, but non-emergency dentistry isn't covered by Medicare in Canada, and it's kind of expensive to see the dentist. I have a couple fillings from when I was a kid. They're silver.

I'm always worried my teeth aren't white enough, so I don't drink dark pop, like coke, but sometimes I'll have a Dr. Pepper, and I still drink tea and hot chocolate, so, there you go.

Bibliophile

• Emoticontraindication
  • <:3)~~
« Reply #31 on: 06 Feb 2008, 14:16 »

Mutant registration act advertisement

God damnit! Why didn't I get storm powers?
If television is a babysitter, the internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #32 on: 06 Feb 2008, 14:52 »

hi lady_bugged, good first post, just thought you should know and be welcomed
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Chrasstor

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • ?Four dollars and x amount of cents
« Reply #33 on: 06 Feb 2008, 15:01 »

Well, I brush my teeth at the very least 2 times a day. Once in the morning and once before I go to bed. If I go out with friends, or to work, 3 times. I rarely brush my full 2 minutes each time though, usually ranging from 50seconds to a minute and a half. I'm going to start going for 2 consistently, since that's the recommended time. I took good care of my teeth in elementary school, but I really neglected them through most of middle school. I wash with Listerine about 2 times a week, and floss rarely. 'Last time I flossed was yesterday, but before that it'd probably been a week or two. As for shape, they're somewhat long and straight. Pretty nice teeth other than the gap between my canine and whatever the fuck is behind them. That's barely noticeable though. They're pretty white. Not movie-star white, but I yellow. Nobody's ever commented on my teeth being much yellow. I've never tried cigarettes, only smoked a few cigars and some weed and very rarely drink coffee.

My wisdom teeth are coming in on the bottom. One just completely broke the gum, and the other is still just a gummy-lump. I don't think I'll get my top ones, 'cause my mom only got 2, and my dad didn't get any. I probably won't need to get them removed, as my brother's 2 came in just fine.

Oh, I almost forgot. One of my front teeth is only half real. Most people don't even know, 'cause my dentist is pretty darn good and it looks 100% legit. Still a piss off sometimes, 'cause it's not as durable as a normal tooth would be, so I can't really get hit in the teeth. Oh well, sometimes you have to make compromises.

sean

• welp
« Reply #34 on: 06 Feb 2008, 15:22 »

I am fucking OCD about brushing my teeth. I probably do it after every time I eat or drink if I can, especially if its soda/other form of sugar. I can't stand the weird feeling my teeth get after having incredibly sugary things. Plus it makes my mouth all minty and stuff! I don't floss as nearly as much and I practically never use mouth wash though. So my teeth are neither yellow or white.

Orthodontically, my teeth are horrible. I had braces until I was about 13 and sporadically wore a retainer for a few months after they were taken off. However, my teeth have moved a ridiculous amount since then and my smile looks like total shit. Oh well...
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #35 on: 06 Feb 2008, 15:27 »

I brush once a day, floss once a day, and if it is the one night a week I still use my retainer I always use Listerine before I put it in (you people are pansies, I love the burny feeling of the original Listerine.  I have a 1L bottle of it).  I had my wisdom teeth out and braces, and I still have the wore behind one of my teeth.  My orthodontist told me he would keep it in there for as long as I was available to come once a year. Suits me.
I have never had a filling, despite my diet which is based solely on candy.  When I was in primary school my mother told me should would give me $20 for making it through primary school without a filling. I did and I scored $20. THEN she said if I made it through highschool without a filling I would get $50. I did, but she refused to pay me on the grounds she had spent $6000 or so on my wisdom teeth removal/braces.  Meanie.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #36 on: 06 Feb 2008, 15:53 »

Eh, at the moment i hope my teef are quite okish. I should make an appointment at the dentist sometime next month though, its been a while.

For the first 2 years i lived here on my own, my dental hygene was pretty bad. I tried finding a dentist, but usually after 3 "sorry, we dont take new patients" calls i gave up on things. Then, at a party i lost part of a molar. Like, eat popcorn *crunch* "hmmm, this aint good". With this going on, i just called and went "OK, WHO THE FUCK HERE DOES TAKE NEW PATIENTS? THERE HAS TO BE SOMEONE?!"

That adventure ended with me originally having a plan to come by every wednesday for 3 weeks to fill holes (the big halfmolar was reconstituted using 3 tubes of the filling stuff. it was epic). However, i somehow also ended up filling holes in their agenda for that week. Monday, wednesday and friday, and i was done.

It was pretty amusing after a while.

Oh, also, me and anethetics dont mix. As in, i have had it several times, that, after i get anesthesized locally in my face/mouth, after i get up, after 2 minutes (which is generally the "stand up, spit out blood, shake the dentists hand and walk to the waiting room" time) that my face totally goes white, and i get close to fainting, and the assistant gets to get a wet towel to help me.

It isnt helped by the fact that above the desk at the dentist, there is an abstract painting of a peacocks tail. Bright spots and sorta going woozy is amusing :)
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #37 on: 06 Feb 2008, 16:24 »

I am ridiculously lazy about my dental hygiene, and that may explain why I have at least 4 fillings (which I think will need to be redone, as I can see the cavity peeking around the edge of the filling) and odd teeth. When I was about 14 I went to a new dentist who said I would need braces, however the orthodontist I went to said that it wouldn't really do that much. Apparently when I was younger and had a tooth pulled out (I still have a little gap there), my teeth were out of alignment, so my jaw automatically readjusted itself to make them look straight again, which is pretty nifty of me! My jaw is really dodgy and clicks and moves about a lot, but I was told that it's nothing to worry about unless it starts to hurt. I also found out at that appointment that I am one of those clever people without wisdom teeth. My mother was quite jealous, because hers had impacted and had to be removed blahblahblah. I have always been told to clean my teeth and shit like that, but normally I am too much in a rush in the mornings, or too tired when I go to bed, so I end up not cleaning them. I am trying to get better at it though and starting to clean more regularly before I go to bed.

My brother is the one with the unusually good teeth. My dentist loves me and my dad, but hates my brother, because we will help him earn money, but my brother never has anything wrong. My dad's teeth are terrible, but that is because he smokes and drinks coke basically non-stop and never brushes his teeth, so it's basically it's his fault his teeth are breaking apart.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #38 on: 06 Feb 2008, 16:39 »

Oh, also, me and anethetics dont mix.

Me neither.

I have fairly good hygiene.  Brush a minimum of once a day, usually three times.  I've had one filling way back when I was young.  Three oral surgeries to remove a "12-year old" molar that impacted perpendicular to where it should have.  Each time I went in, I was out for two days.  This lead me to get braces to try and anchor the wisdom tooth into the spot that the molar left.  My only problem was that one of my top front tetth was at an angle.  Tons of fun.

I cannot floss because my front six teeth are too close together and any floss that gets inther doesn't come out unless its shredded.  Instead, I use a rubber pick to clean out any food that gets stuck in there, and mouthwash.

Also, they removed my braces on Firday... Woo...
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Spinless

« Reply #39 on: 06 Feb 2008, 16:43 »

Oh well, sometimes you have to make compromises.
You see avoiding blows to the face as a compromise? Crazy!

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #40 on: 06 Feb 2008, 17:16 »

I had braces on my top teeth for about nine months just to straighten them out and push my vampire teeth back a bit. Now I have a wire retainer thinger stuck behind my top teeth to make sure they don't move back. I had my wisdom teeth out January 9th 2006 because if I didn't then there wouldn't have been enough room in my mouth for them and the bottom one would have only half come through and the top two would have messed up the braces work. Yes, I only ever had three wisdom teeth, my Mum only had three as well, and in the same spots.

I brush twice a day, three times if I am going out somewhere, but generally, just morning and before I go to bed. I don't floss unless I get something stuck in between my teeth and can't get it out with a toothbrush. Like Lunchy mentioned, the wire retainer isn't really all that cooperative with floss anyway. I think I need to get my orthodontist to put some more glue on my wire because there is a part where food gets stuck and it is really annoying.

Aside from that, I don't drink soft/fizzy/carbonated/full of sugar drinks and I don't eat a lot of junky food that ruins your teeth. My dentist was utterly surprised at this, but it means that I have really nice teeth.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #41 on: 06 Feb 2008, 18:02 »

I've been trying to get better about oral hygiene, mostly because my fiancee tells me my breath gets pretty stinky. But I keep forgetting to floss!

I had braces for a super long time, because I first got them on when living in Egypt and that dentist used ancient techniques, and when I moved to the States my new dentist decided to just start over rather than finish what the other guy started. I used to have a really fucked up tooth that was coming out sideways, but that was eventually fixed through the expedient of pulling out other teeth in order to make room. Now my upper teeth look great, but the front teeth on my lower jaw are still twisted at a freaky angle.

I do have a funny story from when I got my teeth extracted. For reasons that are beyond me, I chose to go to waterpolo practice after my dentist appointment, and I nearly drowned because my mouth was still numb from the local anesthetic and couldn't close.

captain zoe

« Reply #42 on: 06 Feb 2008, 18:12 »

I usually brush twice daily but sometimes I get lazy.  I am also lazy about going to the dentist, and I haven't in a long time, but I so far only have 1 filling.  The problem with my teeth is that they are in the wrong places because when they came in there was too little room for them so a lot of them are squished together or facing backwards, shit like that.  It sucks.  This is why I do not floss as usually I can't get the freaking floss to fit in there.  My two front teeth are generally much larger than they need to be but I'm pretty much stuck with that.  One of them is half-fake because I got kicked in the face at age 8 and had one of them broken in half.  You can't tell though unless the real part gets super white.  I need to get several teeth pulled and probably get braces, but I am continually too lazy to do anything about it even though I hate it.  Plus I loathe the dentist (the cleaning stuff makes me gag yuck), and it's bloody expensive, and so I'm sure that has something to do with it...but apart from looking totally weird they're generally healthy and white.  Woot! 

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #43 on: 06 Feb 2008, 18:47 »

I have way too many fillings for someone my age.  Hell, the back of my jaw line is mostly filled in with fillings.

I usually brush twice a day, unless I don't do anything at all (these are days I don't even change out of my pajamas).  These days are rare since I really don't want any more fillings, so even if I am not doing anything I take the time to brush my teeth.  Also, when I brush I clean my night brace, so it is extra incentive I guess.

I use mouth wash on rare occasions, mostly special events or days that I feel my mouth is really nasty.  Unfortunately not a big fan of flossing, even though my dentist says that I need to do it more

frunK

« Reply #44 on: 06 Feb 2008, 20:32 »

possibly once a week
also I was my mouth with salt water to give the bacteria that extra what-for.
fuck listerine, salt water is where it's at.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #45 on: 06 Feb 2008, 21:53 »

Hello!

Of all the teeth I've got 6 are originally mine. The rest is implants. I brush my teeth after every meal (i.e. after I eat something, because there's a difference.), which is about 3-5 times per day. I don't floss, that's just not "done" around here. I guess.
I'm pretty happy with my teeth now, as they are new and shiny.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #46 on: 06 Feb 2008, 22:07 »

I have straight and reasonably white teeth. I've been brushing them twice a day every day since I've had them, and I've never had a filling nor had to have any teeth pulled. I only use mouthwash occasionally, I don't floss, and I've never had a whitening treatment. I never had braces or a retainer. I've got one wisdom tooth all the way out, and another two are halfway there.

The only problem I have is that my two front teeth are huge, like tombstones, and it's horrible. They're so much bigger than all my others and I want to get them filed down a bit so that they're not so enormous. They just look ridiculous.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #47 on: 06 Feb 2008, 22:41 »

My dental hygiene is well-documented.

I have a few fillings but I take care of my teeth. Besides that, why give a shit? Teeth are a really weird thing to be aesthetically concerned about yet a lot of people seem to care.

I am really teethist, to the point that bad teeth and/or smoking can be a dealbreaker for me in relationships. My own teeth are in better shape than most; they've been chipped and hit too many times and worn down some by various events to be perfect but they're nice and white and I've yet to have a cavity. It comes at a high price though: One time I went to bed without flossing and actually dreamt about tooth decay. I woke up, went through my routine and wondered if this made me the single lamest person on the planet.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #48 on: 06 Feb 2008, 22:57 »

No, see, teethism is less about coloration and more about actual hygiene. I use mouthwash and floss but I don't use toothpaste because it's largely useless (common ingredients include detergent and water, I'm dead serious) except for vanity. As such my teeth are coloured naturally. I still take care of them, but it's not as visible.

If you have a problem with people who have stinky breath or smoker-mouth, that's legit. Having a problem with tooth colour is the issue.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Spinless

« Reply #49 on: 07 Feb 2008, 02:31 »

I used to have tooth dreams frequently, despite dental hygiene. They are supposedly related to self esteem issues and are most common among young teenagers.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up