THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plays for Theater  (Read 5886 times)

Saiokuo

Plays for Theater
« on: 07 Feb 2008, 20:36 »

First let me apologize if this is in the wrong area but 'movies, tv shows, and books' seemed the closest match.
Basically, I'm beginning a long term assignment in tech theater where we are picking a play and designing every aspect of the production from props and set down to costumes and makeup. Since we aren't putting it on we can pick a play as large or small, detailed or simple as we want. The only catch is it can't be a musical.
Most of the plays I have seen and enjoyed are musicals so I'm at a loss for what to do; and so I come to you for advice. I'd perfer a play thats more fantasical and not a time period piece; Some I've looked at including Dracula, Sleeping Beauty, Brothers Grimm, etc.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: Plays for Theater
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2008, 20:59 »

I think a Dracula musical would be great.  Even better:  The Dunwich Horror musical.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Saiokuo

« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2008, 21:01 »

Erm, the problem is that I can't do a musical. A dracula musical would be amazing however.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #3 on: 07 Feb 2008, 21:11 »

Still...I think doing The Dunwich Horror could be fun.  Any Discworld novel would be great for plays.  Fantastical and relevant.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

singeivoire

« Reply #4 on: 08 Feb 2008, 07:58 »

This is a bit of a pickle - most of the well-written plays I'm familiar with are period peices: The Man Who Came to Dinner and The Glass Menagerie being personal favorites. The few fantasy plays I've seen or participated in have been real stinkers - a horrid adaptation of Beauty and the Beast comes to mind (shudders at memory).

Of course, if quality of writing isn't an issue with you, just pick up a catalog for Samuel French and you could find any number of possibilities. The online catalog can be found here: http://www.samuelfrench.com/store/index.php

For fantasitical, non-musical, non-craptastic plays, you may have to go back to Shakespeare. I once did a Tech Theatre project on A Midsummer Night's Dream that turned out really well. That would present a number of fun makeup issues at the very least...

I'll keep an eye out for other options!

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #5 on: 08 Feb 2008, 08:36 »

For something that is truly a challenge, I suggest Tamara, by John Krizanc.  As long as you don't have to actually produce it, it would be fun, I think.

http://business.nmsu.edu/~dboje/tamara/whatistamara.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamara_(play)
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #6 on: 08 Feb 2008, 09:02 »

Krapp's Last Tape

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #7 on: 08 Feb 2008, 13:47 »

Weeeeeelll...It doesn't really fit your criteria, but...
EQUUS!

Even the most crappy play can be made great with the right cast. Check out Samuel French, like was suggested. There are some others, if you just look around the internet, if tyou can't find what you're looking for.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #8 on: 08 Feb 2008, 15:30 »

Krapp's Last Tape

I second this. It's a one man play by Samuel Beckett.

Still...I think doing The Dunwich Horror could be fun.  Any Discworld novel would be great for plays.  Fantastical and relevant.

Discworld is the answer. (Is Discworld always the answer?) Several of the Discworld books have been adapted into plays by Steven Briggs, as Google shows us here. They've been performed quite a lot too.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Trillian

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 08 Feb 2008, 16:11 »

Man and Superman by George Bernard Shaw

or

The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marygolds.

I have yet to see either of those performed to my liking and I wish someone would get busy and do it already.  :(
Quote from: zerodrone
When we form our cuddlecore band, can we be like The Kills and get as close to having sex onstage as legally possible?

Last.fm

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #10 on: 08 Feb 2008, 16:35 »

I always thought Kevin Smith's Clerks would work well on stage.
Hate, rain on me

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #11 on: 09 Feb 2008, 02:30 »

I always thought Kevin Smith's Clerks would work well on stage.

Oh yeah. I can see that.

The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marygolds.

The what?

I think the old Lucasarts game Day Of The Tentacle has promise. Something of a challenge, though. Stick to Clerks.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Saiokuo

« Reply #12 on: 09 Feb 2008, 09:54 »

Thanks for all the ideas; I've actually heard of a few of them (like Equus) from my teacher. The rest I'm looking into.
Thanks again.

MusicScribbles

• John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #13 on: 09 Feb 2008, 10:17 »

Try Rhinoceros or maybe Tales of the Los Formicans.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Joybee

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2008, 17:08 »

The clumsy custard horror show would be fun of your specialty is props or costumes. It's also such a funny play, we wanted to write our own sequel but we never got a reply back from the people who owned the rights.

singeivoire

« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2008, 07:02 »

OOH - I had forgotten about Clumsy Custard - it's good times. I reccommend. Terribly fun and silly.

Also, Gamma Rays is a good show. I second that one as well. It is not, however, really a fantasy play. You could get creative with it, but it's a family drama above all else.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2008, 07:09 by singeivoire »

MusicScribbles

• John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2008, 13:24 »

Turn Of The Screw is pretty fun, and so are a lot of Pinter plays.
Also, I meant Tales of the Lost Formicans. I just caught the mistake now.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

HellStorm

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #17 on: 22 Feb 2008, 10:31 »

Chicago =D
I love that
Or does it have to be like a book or whatever to adapt?

flauntit

« Reply #18 on: 22 Feb 2008, 23:55 »

I don't think this really fits what you're looking for, but it's worth a try.  I was involved in a play called Adaptation this fall.  It's a one act play by Elaine May.  The idea behind it is really interesting.  I loved it!

Mako

« Reply #19 on: 01 Mar 2008, 03:23 »

Being an actor myself, one of the easiest to work with actually, believe it or not, is SHAKESPEARE.

Mid Summers Night Dream is a fantastic/witty play. Much Ado About Nothing is also great. Im actually perorming that play in the spring at my highschool.

Cant go wrong with King Lear either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up