THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The World Ends With You  (Read 8487 times)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
The World Ends With You
« on: 21 Jun 2008, 23:46 »

Is fucking incredible.  From what I understand I've only played about 1/10 of the game, if that, and I'm already thinking it's the most all-around cool thing Square/Enix have done in a while.

I think it's also the first DS game I've played with the sound on, because man, the soundtrack is great.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Re: The World Ends With You
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2008, 02:06 »

I think it was covered in the Zero Punctuation thread. I haven't played it, but it looks totally meh.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2008, 15:13 »

I've been kind of curious about it, especially since I've had a DS for a month or so no, and have yet to purchase an actual DS game. I've been considering this, Gyakuten Saiban, Trauma Center, Electroplankton, and Hotel Dusk.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2008, 16:26 »

Not sure about it at all. Maybe if I could borrow it from someone, because I cannot rent it and I sure as hell won't buy a game unless I am positive it is good.
Hate, rain on me

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2008, 16:28 »

@ De_El - PHOENIX WRIGHT.  NOW.  Any of them.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2008, 18:49 »

If you're going to play Phoenix Wright, do them in order. It's not strictly necessary, but it's much more rewarding.

As per the thread subject, I've heard good things but frankly I've been burned too many times by Tetsuya Nomura's crap that I'm not willing to give anything with his name on it the benefit of the doubt anymore. I'll probably skip it. I own way too many DS games already. In fact, I might just start a general 'hey, the DS is fucking rad' thread. Because it is.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2008, 18:50 »

Kay!

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2008, 20:04 »

The GameBoy franchise of systems has consistently been way ahead of the console curve in terms of sheer number of games that are just plain fun to play.  Obviously the system limitations figure into this, forcing developers to focus on gameplay rather than heavy amounts of graphic content.

I will say this, I didn't like the Kingdom Hearts games and I still think TWEWY is great.

Also, fuck the people who say Phantom Hourglass isn't that good.  It's far better than Minish Cap was, and is honestly about as fun as Wind Waker.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 2008, 20:08 »

I really need to buy more DS games. Right now the only ones worth playing in my collection are Advance Wars and Pokemon, but I've routinely grimaced at any DS games talked about here. I might end up getting TWEWU just to brush the dust off my Gameboy.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 2008, 22:00 »

I just checked earlier today, and I have 27 DS games (soon to be 28, since Final Fantasy Tactics A2 comes out later this week), and honestly I only think 3 or 4 or them weren't worth the money I paid for them. Add to that the fact that the DS has full GBA backwards compatibility, unlike the halfassed stuff Sony and Microsoft have done with the 360 and PS3, and I honestly think that the DS is my favorite of the 5 current-generation hardware platforms. In terms of variety of quality games, it has all of the other systems beat substantially, in my opinion. There is literally something for just about everyone on the DS.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2008, 07:21 »

The Wii is just as good as the DS, I think.  Ability to play all GameCube games plus tons of incredible exclusive titles plus low price = fuck yeah.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2008, 18:19 »

The Wii doesn't have near the selection (as of yet) of the DS.
Hate, rain on me

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2008, 01:06 »

Yeah, I have to agree. It only really has a few heavy hitters, and nearly all are first-party titles continuing old franchises. The Wii has yet to become a platform full of quality experimentation (and success) by a wide variety of developers.

My copy of TWEWY just arrived in the mail but I have not opened it yet because I am replaying FFVI Advance like the crazed addict I have been for nearly ten years. I'm expecting good things when I get around to it, though.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2008, 01:22 »

The Wii still has more flat-out awesome games than the PS3 or 360 imo, if you include cross-platform games (Rock Band etc) and remakes (Bully, Okami, etc.)

Did I mention that it's cheap?

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2008, 02:59 »

It is pretty cheap. Hard to find, though.
Hate, rain on me

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2008, 08:58 »

Zero, tell me more.
I'm really interested in this game and the reviews really don't seem to be doing it justice.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

angel14995

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jun 2008, 09:06 »

Get it. It is truly amazing. Take the normal JRPG ideas and throw them out the window. The story and setting are new to the entire thing, the characters are entertaining (I like Beat the most, crazy moron), and the battle system is just out of this world. The music is really quite good and fits the mood a lot of the time, and there is none of this "You have to save here and only here" crap that Square Enix normally puts out. Also, the game is really quite expansive, because once you finish the game there is another scenario and an extra "find all the hidden treasure to get something special" thingy that Squeenix likes to put in.

Get it. You won't be disappointed.

Get the game as soon as possible.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #17 on: 24 Jun 2008, 14:55 »

Basically what ^^^^^^ said.

The battle system is both ludicrously complicated and very simple at the same time.  It is also hilariously fun.  It's pure action, and I often find myself fighting enemies just for the hell of it instead of advancing the plot.

The food/item/clothing system is a little bit overdone, in that I think they put too much equipment in, for example, you can go into a store and there will be 5 or 10 shirts that aren't all that different in ability or power.  It's also a little unclear on who can wear what and the game doesn't tell you other than how much "Bravery" they require (ie if I get Neku's Bravery high enough, will he be able to equip the Plaid Miniskirt??).

The story is very well done, it's more of a dark/modern game like Persona or Shin Megami than a typical RPG, and the characters are quite endearing (now that I'm on week 2, I really miss Shiki).

I'm afraid it'll get overshadowed by FFTA2 (which I just picked up and haven't tried yet) but hopefully it'll sell enough for a sequel, because there's so much that could be done with the basic concept.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #18 on: 24 Jun 2008, 15:18 »

what the fuck not a single store in my entire town has FFTA2. i looked everywhere for that shit on my lunchbreak today.

Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #19 on: 24 Jun 2008, 15:40 »

I bought it on my way back from jury duty and I am about to start it now. It was out of stock at Target, but the Gamestop still had some copies.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jun 2008, 15:42 »

I'm waiting for my next paycheck and picking up FFTA2. If I have money left over I'll get TWEWY, but you guys better not be lying about it being decent.

imagist42

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2008, 16:32 »

I'm... confused. This game is having one heck of a learning curve for me. How am I supposed to effectively battle on both screens at once? I have to pay attention to where I'm tapping with my stylus, but I have to pay attention to the combos showing up on the top screen as I press buttons to. And there are so many choices! How can I possibly figure out what's best to do and do it before the Noise rape me?
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2008, 19:45 »

I heard there was an autobattle option for the top screen.
Hate, rain on me

imagist42

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2008, 22:07 »

Yeah, but it's not always very bright, especially when you get to the point where you need to coordinate both screens for Fusion attacks. And depending on how tough you make your battles (you could always keep them easy, but then you'd never get good items) you may need to take control and evade attacks just to stay alive...

Anyway, I'm starting to get the hang of it. I've learned that I can just kind of circle Neku around whenever I need to focus on the top screen and he'll mostly stay out of trouble. It may take a while to get used to if you're retarded and incompetent like me, but all in all I'll second everyone else's comments that the battle system is very ingenious, complex, and--most importantly--fun. Anyone who was on the fence, please come off and join the rest of us in TWEWY land. You will not regret it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up