THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: D&D 4th Edition  (Read 84161 times)

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: D&D 4th Edition
« Reply #150 on: 17 Jun 2008, 21:08 »

I am actually playing tomorrow.  Will report on Thursday.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

ackblom12

« Reply #151 on: 17 Jun 2008, 22:07 »

Since my woman is DMing this time around, I got to make my own character and I'm going to get to mess with him next week.

Anthony Stalwart, Human Wizard going for the Battle Mage Paragon path, using the Orb Implement. He is feverishly working on a suit of Plate Mail that he will be able to wear at 4th level and be able to blast foes with many force and fire type spells. Will most likely have Orbs in the palms of the Gauntlets and the chest of the armor.

He will be amazing.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #152 on: 17 Jun 2008, 22:08 »

Did you kill Bradley and bury him behind the shed?  You should have.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #153 on: 18 Jun 2008, 14:45 »

I get to play in two weeks.  :mrgreen:

I too plan on playing a human mage, but I'll be shooting for a Staff Of Defense wielding Blood Mage and I'll be going for Acid Arrow and ice spells. Should be a nice mix of battle field control and reliable damage, especially if he survives long enough to hit blood mage. I plan on abusing a combination of Winter Touched, Lasting Frost, Action Surge and Blood Action. :D

Haven't decided on a name yet, but he's going to be the scary norse type who spills his own blood before calling down bitter storms to destroy his enemies. He's definitely going to be awesome.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2008, 16:13 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #154 on: 18 Jun 2008, 20:15 »

I had this nice long post and my browser crashed and I'm high, so what it boils down to is this:  our previously ridiculous games are made even more ridiculous with this edition, and I rolled a Ranger TANK.  Sucker did 24 damage as a first-level dual-wielding paragon.  But I'm also an elf, so I can still use a longbow, and pretty much dual paragon myself.  We played one fight straight out of the DM guide and decided we loved it entirely.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #155 on: 19 Jun 2008, 16:47 »

I'm playing as a pc in another game. I really want to play a weird race/class. Maybe a wizard? Using mostly ice spells? I'm not sure, there isnt enough variety at the moment to do a strange race and class mixture.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #156 on: 19 Jun 2008, 19:00 »

I made a dwarven wizard to see what it would look like.  He works surprisingly well.  I think the designers achieved their goals; certain each race will have a better fit for one or more classes (Halfling == rogue), but you won't actually be penalized for choosing an off-optimized race/class.  In fact, now that they're putting in bonuses for well-rounded characters, an off-key class may actually have benefits not expected of a munchkin choice.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #157 on: 20 Jun 2008, 12:42 »

Yeah, even a dragonborn wizard doesn't look so bad when you realize you could use that strength bonus to be rocking hide armor, a heavy shield and an extra AoE encounter power that only takes a minor action by level 6 while still starting out with a respectable if not spectacular 16 intelligence. Dwarves are probably the worst wizards overall, but hey, when's the last time you heard someone complain about a constitution bonus? It's hard to feel too bad for dwarves when you realize how many fraggin' healing surges they can get (thanks to Dwarven Durability) even as a wizard, plus they make such good paladins and fighters you have to expect them to suffer somewhere.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #158 on: 20 Jun 2008, 13:48 »

I made a dwarven wizard with 18 intelligence, 10 dexterity, and 12 everywhere else.  He'll have plenty of opportunities to bump stats, and at level 11 he'll become eligible for all sorts of crazy feats.

frunK

« Reply #159 on: 20 Jun 2008, 16:34 »

my buddy pirated the books, we're torn. one hand the monster manual was awesome but on the other hand everything is so OVER 9000 MUNCHKIN LAZOR!!!!!!!!!1!111
but then again it's no suprise, we're sticking to 3.5 and just making our own stuff.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #160 on: 20 Jun 2008, 16:51 »

I think you should at least play a couple scenarios out of the back of the DM guide before you make a decision.  We were very on the fence, too, until our little test game, against 4 kobolds in a room with a slime pit.  Before playing, my DM was upset about the cutting out of several classes and a couple races, and he didn't know what to think about powers.  The only qualm my DM really has now is with the lack of deities.  Which, in all likelihood, is going to be expanded on in a later book.

frunK

« Reply #161 on: 20 Jun 2008, 17:04 »

Meh, dieties are easy to ad-lib, i don't see the reason why you need to take them from the players hand book.
Whenever I'm a barbarian I usually worship a force or something anway, like Thunder.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #162 on: 20 Jun 2008, 18:32 »

Our DM has a thing for the lore, really.  It doesn't matter to any non-cleric/paladin in our group that much.  But I think he's trying to get us to REALLY play our characters this time, which is why he might be peeved about deities.  He's not in tears over it or anything, though, that's just his last major complaint with the new systems.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #163 on: 20 Jun 2008, 19:44 »

His worst complaint is about purely optional fluff?  Seriously?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #164 on: 20 Jun 2008, 20:53 »

Like I said, it's not much of a complaint.  He originally was angry about the way they set up classes, but he didn't realize how much room they have to breathe until we played a bit. 

He never got a chance to make us play our deities seriously, and now that they've taken away about 75% of them he just wishes they were still there.  I think he was planning on doing that with the last campaign, but that kind of fell apart because of his girlfriend (new to DnD, previously playing NWN2:MotB, and wanting to cast all the crazy spells she didn't have made her not want to play as often, and scheduling issues arose around that).  So I think he means to do it this campaign, and he wanted more options, I guess.  It's more him than anybody else, I think the 15 or so they have is enough for me to choose from, and one of our guys always chooses Kord no matter what he plays, anyway.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #165 on: 27 Jun 2008, 12:42 »

I cant wait until we have more classes. That way we can be more exotic in our choices. Like in 3.5, "Oh Julia, you're being a changling psychic warrior? How exotic and original!"

4.0 right now is a tad cut and paste, I might chose a race from the monster manual though. That'd give a nice spin on a class.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

ackblom12

« Reply #166 on: 27 Jun 2008, 17:20 »

Man, I'm playing Iron Man.

You don't NEED the extra classes to make something a little off, they just help a lot.

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
« Reply #167 on: 29 Jun 2008, 22:07 »

Ran my first 4e session last night. It went great :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up