THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 01:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best way to convert to mp3?  (Read 3281 times)

bachelorchow

• Not quite a lurker
best way to convert to mp3?
« on: 08 Feb 2008, 23:28 »

how to convert?
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2012, 03:19 by bachelorchow »

Spinless

Re: best way to convert to mp3?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Feb 2008, 03:33 »

As far as I am aware, burning them to a disc doesn't compromise the quality at an audible level. Just be sure to rip it at the same BR, no higher, no less.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2008, 00:11 »

I think this is what you're looking for:

http://hymn-project.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1555

lossless DRM removal.

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2008, 00:12 »

As far as I am aware, burning them to a disc doesn't compromise the quality at an audible level. Just be sure to rip it at the same BR, no higher, no less.
Burning the m4a's to a disc won't degrade the quality, because they are uncompressed when you burn them to audio CD. however, converting them into mp3s causes you to lose some quality since mp3s (and m4as) are lossy.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2008, 00:58 »

What he means is that you'll lose less quality by going through the .wav than by transcoding them straight from m4a to mp3. Whether this is accurate or not and whether just transcoding them would get rid of the drm I do not know.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2008, 05:25 »

He's right, I think. As long as you use a decent encoder to put them to mp3. (lame is my personal choice).
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2008, 17:41 »

What he means is that you'll lose less quality by going through the .wav than by transcoding them straight from m4a to mp3. Whether this is accurate or not and whether just transcoding them would get rid of the drm I do not know.
No, you'll lose the same amount of quality either way. Going through .wav is just the long way around compared to transcoding.

What I meant when I mentioned burning them to disc doesn't lose quality is that when you burn to audio disc, you burn the decompressed files, so your burned disc will sound just as good as your m4as. When you transcode, they'll be uncompressed and then compressed again, using a lossy format (in all likelyhood).

m4a is a lossy format, that means when your original recording is converted to m4a, you lose some information, permanently.

When you transcode, you are decompressing the m4a (which has already permanently lost information), and recompressing into a different format. If you recompress into another lossy format, you lose even more information. If you recompress to .wav or another lossless format, you don't lose any further information, but your file will be huge compared to a lossy version.

This is why programs like the one I linked to in a previous post are better than transcoding. Those programs just remove the DRM and do not recompress the file.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2008, 17:46 by dennis »
Pages: [1]   Go Up