THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm hungry.  (Read 55241 times)

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
Re: I'm hungry.
« Reply #50 on: 11 Feb 2008, 21:08 »

Okay for serious that Cherry Chocolate Diet Dr Pepper is ten kinds of disgusting.  It tasted like the smell of those cheap jar candles they stack near the registers in department stores around the Holidays.

Also I would like to point out that it's Dr Pepper, not Dr. Pepper.

Dr Pepper does not have a period.  Because he's a dude.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #51 on: 11 Feb 2008, 21:10 »

...Confession: I don't like muffins, chicken unless it's masked with something (like the aforementioned gloppy salads), any jelly filled pastry I've tried, cupcakes or very many sweet foods in general. It makes finding things I like rather difficult.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #52 on: 11 Feb 2008, 21:44 »

This is shameful. I feel like DavidDovey's story has been neglected. It BELONGS in this thread, and everyone is pretending that it does not exist. Shameful.
Everyone should make a point to go read it.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #53 on: 11 Feb 2008, 21:45 »

I'm drinking a glass of this Jazz Diet Pepsi Caramel cream stuff and if nothing else, it smells extraordinary. Like, If I could have that sweet bliss of aroma around more often my life would be better
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #54 on: 11 Feb 2008, 21:47 »

I haven't tried the Cherry Chocolate Diet Dr Pepper, but it sounds horrible. I did like the Cherry Vanilla stuff well enough though.

While we're talking about shitty soda flavors, Jolly Good makes some of the best sodas I've ever tried, like Piņa Colada and Fruit Punch. But they also make a "Chocolate Fudge" soda, which is probably the worst beverage I've ever drank, it in no way tasted like chocolate or fudge, and was basically ass-flavored carbonated water. I think Jolly Good might only be available in Wisconsin, and I dunno if it's even still around, I haven't seen it anywhere in probably 4 years or so.

Also, that salad looks really tasty. I like salads, but I'm too lazy to make really elaborate ones, so usually I just buy bag lettuce and add some Newman's dressing.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #55 on: 11 Feb 2008, 21:49 »

Oh, if we're talking about other brands of soda, pretty much anything fizzy and flavored apple is the best thing ever to me. Seriously, the less it tastes like real apple and more like a candy-coated sour frankenstein's monster apple the better.

Oh shit, when did I hit a thousand posts? Fuck, I was gonna do something special...
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #56 on: 11 Feb 2008, 21:51 »

This is shameful. I feel like DavidDovey's story has been neglected. It BELONGS in this thread, and everyone is pretending that it does not exist. Shameful.
Everyone should make a point to go read it.
It's an uncredited lift from Achewood. He gets no love from me.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #57 on: 11 Feb 2008, 21:55 »

I don't get how things like this happen: "I'll have a coke." "What kind?" "Orange Crush." Seriously. Coke is Coke, not Crush or Mt. Dew or 7UP, etc. Say what you mean!

Google "coca cola atlanta".
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #58 on: 11 Feb 2008, 22:05 »

Actually, no, I'm with the other southerners, Coke is an all encompassing word that means nearly any carbonated beverage. the word Cola, well, it just isn't used much. I've had a conversation myself with someone like this:

Me:"Hey, Can I get you anything to drink?"
Him:"Sure, get me a Coke."
Me:"What Kind?"
Him:"Umm, I don't know, how bout a Coke?"

Note that in this sentence the second person isn't confused or in any way being sarcastic with his last sentence, that's just the way it is. Its like Homo sapiens sapiens. It's not human until you say it twice.

thehollow

« Reply #59 on: 11 Feb 2008, 22:11 »

Wrong. Call it pop, soda, whatever, but it's not Coke. You don't ask for a Budweiser when you want a Guinness, do you?

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #60 on: 11 Feb 2008, 22:15 »

No, but being as that's an analogy about beer it has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about, which is how southerners ask for sweet carbonated beverages.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #61 on: 11 Feb 2008, 22:44 »

It's an uncredited lift from Achewood. He gets no love from me.

I felt it would've ruined the pathos of the story if I'd made it plainly obvious I'd nicked it from Nice Pete's blog, but now I've been outed.

Why do you hate fun, Joe Hocking?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

thehollow

« Reply #62 on: 11 Feb 2008, 23:15 »

No, but being as that's an analogy about beer it has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about, which is how southerners ask for sweet carbonated beverages.
Sorry, apparently I didn't give my analogy enough thought. This better?

You don't see people ask for a Budweiser, and then have to further clarify that they want a Guinness, do you?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #63 on: 11 Feb 2008, 23:27 »

Man, all the food threads we ever have on the forum just make me feel kind of sick. That chicken salad thing sound so unbelievably horrible I can barely bring myself to think about it. Also, that picture of salad looked like a plate of death.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #64 on: 11 Feb 2008, 23:36 »

Khar's mother once set before him a steaming bowl of oatmeal. To her dismay, he started to weep great black tears. "What's wrong, KharBevNor honey? Don't you like oatmeal?" And Khar replied, "Thanks for the big fucking steaming bowl of MURDER!"
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #65 on: 11 Feb 2008, 23:45 »

Mayo is edible genocide.

Is oatmeal American for porridge?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #66 on: 11 Feb 2008, 23:47 »

I'm drinking a glass of this Jazz Diet Pepsi Caramel cream stuff and if nothing else, it smells extraordinary. Like, If I could have that sweet bliss of aroma around more often my life would be better

My friends have mocked me for drinking this until I force them to try it.  Subsequent snack runs then revolve around which convenience stores carry Pepsi Jazz.

I don't usually advocate mixing good whiskey, but Caramel Cream Pepsi and Jameson* tastes like a cupful of fucking sunshine and makes me glow from the inside out.

*mostly the Jameson

BobJoeJim

« Reply #67 on: 12 Feb 2008, 01:08 »

Tonight's dinner menu included garlic bread.  We had a decent amount of garlic butter left over.  Desert was chocolate brownies.  I just slathered a brownie in garlic butter. OM NOM FUCKING NOM!!!!  I forget who it was that suggested the combination of chocolate and garlic in that thread where we were talking about cookies, but THANK YOU!

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #68 on: 12 Feb 2008, 06:26 »

Is oatmeal American for porridge?

Depends, is porridge made from whole Oats?  Oatmeal is fuckin' awesome
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #69 on: 12 Feb 2008, 06:38 »

Yes, it is pretty much porridge.

I made mi goreng noodles with tuna, sweet chilli and mayo for dinner. It was a good meal made quickly and efficiently. It was eaten with company while watching a film. There is a 86% chance that I will do this same thing again tomorrow.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

HellStorm

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #70 on: 12 Feb 2008, 07:39 »

I think the correct word is 'sarnie'
And the other one is '<insert drink here?>'

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #71 on: 12 Feb 2008, 13:14 »

Sorry, apparently I didn't give my analogy enough thought. This better?

You don't see people ask for a Budweiser, and then have to further clarify that they want a Guinness, do you?

Not really, since its not as if Budweiser was one of the first beers ever invented. See, Coke however was one of the first mass-produced carbonated non alchoholic beverages on the market, and so its name in the South is synonymous with all carbonated beverages. Why can't you just accept that its the way we talk?

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #72 on: 12 Feb 2008, 19:00 »

Because honestly, it's disheartening to see them consciously continuing the stereotype that southerners are stupid rednecks.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #73 on: 12 Feb 2008, 20:39 »

It also makes no sense. If someone said "Get me Coke," and I brought them, you know, a Coke, and they responded "What? No, I wanted a Mountain Dew!" I would punch them.

In the eye.

Repeatedly.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #74 on: 12 Feb 2008, 21:23 »

no, ya see, that doesn't happen, due to the further clarification rule of you saying "What kind." The conversation would actually go thusly:

Waiter: "What can I get you to drink?"
Southerner: "I'll have a Coke."
Waiter: "Okay. I'll be back with your drink in a minute."
Southerner: "Now wait a minute, aren't you going to ask me what kind?"

Edit: And really, that's what depresses you about the south and the reinforcement of the Southern stereotype? It can't be any of the other obvious myriad problems and stereotypical things that we do or are said to do?
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2008, 21:25 by Boro_Bandito »

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #75 on: 13 Feb 2008, 05:29 »

Guys it is just a colloquialism. It grew out of the fact that actually Coke was the first carbonated beverage to be marketed in America (1886, anyone?), and since it came out of Atlanta, and in fact still is based there, the locals tend to refer to every carbonated beverage as a "coke".

I do not see how it makes us stupid rednecks. How many times have you asked someone for a Kleenex, when you actually meant whatever brand of facial tissue they happen to have on hand? How many times have you referred to knock-off brands of cereal by their better-known brand name? In the UK I have heard people ask for a pack of Durex and be asked "what kind you want, mate". Scotch Tape (or Sellotape in the UK) is the same way - you actually mean some cheap plastic sticky tape that you use for gift wrapping or hanging things from doors that you can take off easily, but you don't always actually get that kind. It is the same damn thing.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2008, 05:43 by calenlass »

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #76 on: 13 Feb 2008, 06:49 »

The difference, Katie, being that you don't fucking taste scotch tape and kleenex. I do both, but a tissue is a tissue and transparent tape is transparent tape, but a Sprite is not a Coke. If I were working in a restaraunt and I were expected to ask "what kind?" when someone ordered a Coke, I would slap them in the mouth for being an idiot.

For one thing, one would be dopey enough to ask for a soda or a pop in a restaraunt rather than specifying which and save us both thirty seconds. It gets even worse when you run into the confusion factor it arises. If someone asks me for a Kleenex, it's unlikely that someone will say "wait, aren't you going to ask me what kind of kleenex I want, you idiot?" It just doesn't happen.

The Budwieser one, regardless of the fact it wasn't the first beer out there, was a good example. Another would be someone telling you "Hey, I want to play pong" and then getting indignant when they bring you Pong instead of Legend of Zelda. Bluntly speaking, it IS a stupid mannerism. Just because it's prevalent in the South doesn't mean the rest of the country has to respect it, regardless of its inherent idiocy.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #77 on: 13 Feb 2008, 07:23 »

The Budweiser one was not a good example. It just so happens that no one asks for a type of beer that they do not actually mean. Guinness is a lager; Budweiser is piss. They are inherently different, especially since often people who like one do not like the other; however, you will notice that we call them both "beer"! This is because they share some similarities in both characteristics and how they are made!

The Pong example is also not good, because there isn't any game that is relatively similar to Pong except Pong (and Pong II or whatever). The thing about soft drinks is that they are all carbonated and sweet. So we happen to refer to them by a single word that happens to be a brand name. So what? I mean, seriously, you know we could work on coming up with an overarching term for beer AND soft drinks, because they are kind of similar, did you notice? They are both fizzy and recreationally consumed!

I do not see why this one illogical inconsistency sets everyone off! It just happens this way; why everyone can't go "oh, the south is so silly!" and move on is beyond me. I also do not understand how it makes us stupid rednecks. It is a pretty deeply-ingrained habit, I would say, that predates anyone calling anything "pop" or "soda", given that those words were applied to the concoction in question long after the word "coke" was around. Everyone calls them something different! Just because we happen to use the word that was there first that happens to be a brand name doesn't mean we are wrong!

Oh, and by the way, Jon, I think you'll find that the Puffs moisturized tissues will do a better job of saving your nose next time you have a cold than Kleenex. There is a difference.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #78 on: 13 Feb 2008, 07:54 »

Guinness is not in fact a lager.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #79 on: 13 Feb 2008, 07:58 »

What is it, then? I thought it was. People keep telling me it is. I do not in fact like it at all.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #80 on: 13 Feb 2008, 08:10 »

It's a stout, a kind of dark ale, as I recall.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #81 on: 13 Feb 2008, 08:14 »

A stout is indeed the correct term.

Lager is pale and fizzy. Budweiser is, in fact, a lager.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #82 on: 13 Feb 2008, 08:15 »

Man I thought lagers were dark and murky and stuff.

Whatever. Good to know, I guess?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #83 on: 13 Feb 2008, 09:51 »

I grew up calling all fizzy drinks Coke and I am neither from the South nor a Stupid Redneck. Eventually, I realized a lot of other people don't do that and just call them whatever I feel like at the time, often "sodey pop" to make fun of people who don't call it Coke. I don't really give a crap what people call it. To me, 'pop' or 'fizzy drink' or 'carbonated beverage' are the only things that actually makes sense to call all that type of stuff, since soda water never enters the equation at all.

Judging people on a regional vocabulary is pretty shit.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2008, 09:53 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #84 on: 13 Feb 2008, 10:04 »

I don't think it makes southerners stupid rednecks, it just makes them a pain in the ass at times, something they have in common with practically everyone else on the planet.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #85 on: 13 Feb 2008, 10:43 »

I am not making fun of the south and I am not calling southerners stupid rednecks. And I am well aware that Coke originated in Atlanta having visited the museum there when I was younger. What I am saying is that it does not make sense to add an extra step in there when what you want is not Coke at all. It wastes time. If someone were to order a coke from me, my response would be either "Ok, be right back with your Coke." or "We don't have Coke products, is Pepsi (or whatever brand) ok?" Coke is a brand. If I'm looking for a pair of running shoes, I don't ask for Nike when I really want Adidas. Maybe this is because I'm not from the south, but none of the people I've met that live down there or are from there, both friends and family, ask for a Coke instead of a soda/pop/*specific brand*, so it doesn't seem practical to me. And no, they are not the same. Colas and rootbeers may be the same color, but they all taste different. If I wanted a Coke and someone gave me a Pepsi, I'd be pissed, because Pepsi is fucking nasty.

Essentially what that paragraph means is: It doesn't make sense to me, but it definitely doesn't make people who call every soda Coke stupid. I don't think it makes ordering drinks efficient for your server and it causes confusion for other people who don't know the lingo.

tl;dr

I don't really care what you call it. Your Coke is my soda. Whatevs.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #86 on: 13 Feb 2008, 11:15 »

Man, if only you people could develop as much passion about, say, the genocide in Darfur as you can about what you call a fucking carbonated beverage.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #87 on: 13 Feb 2008, 11:20 »

I mean, seriously, you know we could work on coming up with an overarching term for beer AND soft drinks, because they are kind of similar, did you notice? They are both fizzy and recreationally consumed
As a matter of fact, this is where the term "soft drink" comes from. Beer is a hard drink because it contains alcohol, so to contrast them with beer sodas are referred to as soft drinks. Following this logic, both hard and soft drinks are kinds of drinks.

Eli

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Crayon teeth draw blood.
« Reply #88 on: 13 Feb 2008, 11:23 »

I'm from SE Georgia and I've never heard anyone use "coke" to encompass all carbonated beverages. I've been all over the Southeast and have never heard someone say "Which kind?" when I ask for a Coke. Now, "coke" could mean Coca-cola, Sam's Cola, or Pepsi, but not all sodas. When I'm talking about all carbonated beverages, I say soda.
Saying "tea" always meant sweet tea. Now that I live in Colorado, I am sad that most places don't have sweet tea. They have some fruity tea or just hot tea.

Also: http://popvssoda.com:2998/

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #89 on: 13 Feb 2008, 11:30 »

Man, if only you people could develop as much passion about, say, the genocide in Darfur as you can about what you call a fucking carbonated beverage.

Seriously.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #90 on: 13 Feb 2008, 11:31 »

I mean, seriously, you know we could work on coming up with an overarching term for beer AND soft drinks, because they are kind of similar, did you notice? They are both fizzy and recreationally consumed
As a matter of fact, this is where the term "soft drink" comes from. Beer is a hard drink because it contains alcohol, so to contrast them with beer sodas are referred to as soft drinks. Following this logic, both hard and soft drinks are kinds of drinks.

Yes but see they are both quite different than, say, milk or lemonade (lemon squash or whatever it is).

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #91 on: 13 Feb 2008, 13:20 »

Tremendously presumptuous, innit?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #92 on: 13 Feb 2008, 13:30 »

What have I done?

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #93 on: 13 Feb 2008, 13:56 »

Dr Pepper does not have a period.  Because he's a dude.

:laugh:

1) Guys it is soda. Anything else and you are not an American.

This is science.

Fixed.

Thank you. Bloody American cultural imperialist. Surely there is no irony or hypocrasy in a Briton complaining that.

While we're talking about shitty soda flavors, Jolly Good ... make a "Chocolate Fudge" soda, which is probably the worst beverage I've ever drank, it in no way tasted like chocolate or fudge, and was basically ass-flavored carbonated water.

Nothing chocolate-flavoured ever tastes good, unless it's, y'know, chocolate.

The coke thing: kind of stupid. As if you asked for a burger and a coffee, then said "I meant a cooked breakfast and a tea."

You are absolutely right. But the Coke is being sold in your town, and Darfur is a long way away.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #94 on: 13 Feb 2008, 14:07 »

Thank you. Bloody American cultural imperialist. Surely there is no irony or hypocrasy in a Briton complaining that.

Dude that statement was sarcasm to the max. I thought the "This is science" statement would be absurd enough to tip people off. Oh well, the internet is a shitty place for sarcasm in all forms.

However there is truth to the roast beef part of my statement. If you are having cold cuts without roast beef, you truly are doing something wrong. 
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2008, 14:09 by Objects inside Clouds »
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #95 on: 13 Feb 2008, 14:10 »

Yes but see they are both quite different than, say, milk or lemonade (lemon squash or whatever it is).

I feel it would be a good thing to point out at this juncture that beer does not have to be fizzy you uncultured animals.

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #96 on: 13 Feb 2008, 14:22 »

Dude that statement was sarcasm to the max. I thought the "This is science" statement would be absurd enough to tip people off. Oh well, the internet is a shitty place for sarcasm in all forms.

However there is truth to the roast beef part of my statement. If you are having cold cuts without roast beef, you truly are doing something wrong. 

Dude, my statement was sarcasm to the max, too. That proves your third sentence.

I'll agree on the magnificance of roast beef, though. Hell, according to the French, I am le rosbif.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2008, 14:25 by Doug S. Machina »
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #97 on: 13 Feb 2008, 15:54 »

I feel it would be a good thing to point out at this juncture that beer does not have to be fizzy you uncultured animals.

You can surmise what kinds of beer I have had in my life! Suffice to say that I hated all of them!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #98 on: 13 Feb 2008, 16:36 »

That's because beer is gross! (Not really, but a lot of the beer I've had was yucky. Some was good, though.)

Cold roast beef? Blah. Ham, salami, turkey, and cappocolla (deliciousness) are all delicious meats on cold sammiches. So is chicken. Beef should be warm. And preferably on a roll covered in provolone. Mmm.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #99 on: 13 Feb 2008, 17:22 »

Cold roast beef is awesome, but maybe a little dry. My preferred roast beef sandwich involves a light buttering of the bread and some redcurrant jelly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up