THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm hungry.  (Read 55234 times)

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
Re: I'm hungry.
« Reply #150 on: 14 Feb 2008, 11:15 »

Bread sauce is made from bread, milk, onion and cloves mainly I think. It is a traditional type accompaniement to roast chicken or turkey, to moisten and so forth, and it is fucking delicious.

I don't have any irrational hatreds of foods. I only dislike foods that taste like fucking shit.

It actually is quite good.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #151 on: 14 Feb 2008, 12:07 »

Guys, ranch dressing is pretty toxic, even if it is pretty tasty.

Also, mayonnaise is essential for deviled eggs and is, as such, wonderful.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

StreetSpirit

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #152 on: 14 Feb 2008, 12:10 »

Mayonnaise definitely has a proper place as a condiment, especially true mayonnaise as opposed to the altered, preservative filled ones that are often found at grocery stores. I personally think it compliments artichokes well!

Two tasty condiments that add wonderful touches to sandwiches and the like: hummus and pesto!
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #153 on: 14 Feb 2008, 12:49 »

I pretty much like everything that everyone else on this thread says is nasty. but really, people from England, do you have any room to talk whatsoever about nasty food. I mean, don't you have things like lard pies or something?
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #154 on: 14 Feb 2008, 13:06 »

All I know is I love salsas (corn and black bean in particular), pico de gallo, Szechuan food (when done well; nothing is worse than bad szechuan)  and Thai cooking in general. Most of the things here have sounded rather bland, to be honest.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 13:13 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #155 on: 14 Feb 2008, 13:19 »

Pico is awesome. It's pretty easy to make and seeing as how fresh things taste so much better, pico tastes pretty awesome. And red posted a black bean quesadilla, which usually isn't bland! (I don't know what else is in it, but if it has what I would put in it, it'd taste pretty damn good, especially with pico.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #156 on: 14 Feb 2008, 13:25 »

well usually if you're making refried black beans you're going to add cumin, salt, and possibly cayennes pepper at the very least. Cumin is one of the best spices in the world and it makes everything taste good pretty much.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #157 on: 14 Feb 2008, 13:55 »

oh man i love hummus! I'm actually eating some right now with a bunch of wheat thins, and it's pretty great.

HellStorm

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #158 on: 14 Feb 2008, 14:12 »

I love mayo =]
It is indeed amazing.
Anyways I am proud of myself today, for I made a 5 course meal for my friends parents
My friend and I made an appetiser of olives on sticks, a starter of prawn cocktail, a main course of steak + kidney pudding with chips and garnish, pudding which was pancakes, and 'afters'
We were originally gonna have veg with the maincourse, but due to 'technical difficulties' (i.e. we couldn't work the microwave) She saved the day with her garnish making skills (she works as a salad chopper in a hotel)
It was really fun, and we got huge bowls of prawn cocktail, and we had pancakes.  I love left overs =]
It was all pretty awesome =D

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #159 on: 14 Feb 2008, 14:25 »

Okay, I'm convinced the above was scientifically designed to include as many foods that I'm not really fond of into one post as possible. Then again, I'm like the only person I know who doesn't like shrimp/prawn cocktail or pancakes, so maybe that's just me.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 14:32 by Whipstitch »

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #160 on: 14 Feb 2008, 14:43 »

Watch, as with this statement, I top all of your irrational hatred of foods.

I hate ketchup.

Seriously why the fuck do people like this stuff? Everything about it is just... revolting.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #161 on: 14 Feb 2008, 14:49 »

Lots of people don't like ketchup. Try harder.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #162 on: 14 Feb 2008, 14:51 »

I hate ketchup and my fiancee used to work for Heinz. Oh the irony.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #163 on: 14 Feb 2008, 15:10 »

I am not really fond of sauce as a whole, except for a good jus on red meat.

sean

• welp
« Reply #164 on: 14 Feb 2008, 15:13 »

Lots of people don't like ketchup. Try harder.

I have not met a single person in my entire life who hates ketchup aside from me. Joe Hocking is the fist person I have seen to feel the same way on this matter.

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #165 on: 14 Feb 2008, 15:57 »

I pretty much like everything that everyone else on this thread says is nasty. but really, people from England, do you have any room to talk whatsoever about nasty food. I mean, don't you have things like lard pies or something?

Well, speaking as people from England, we have lardy cake and dripping. Also worth mentioning is pie and mash, even more so is that we've let the whole world in, with Indian, Chinese, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Bangledeshi food and who knows what else, so now we don't have to eat dripping. (There are very good things about British cooking, I'm told, but it has less comedy value. Apart from Heston Blumenthal.)
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 15:59 by Doug S. Machina »
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

ummmkay

• Curry sauce
« Reply #166 on: 14 Feb 2008, 16:56 »

I hated ketchup my whole entire life until a couple of months ago! Now I find it tolerable instead of revolting.

I like mayonnaise in moderation. And salads! Especially Caesar salads! This is making me hungry.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #167 on: 14 Feb 2008, 17:25 »

All I know is I love salsas (corn and black bean in particular), pico de gallo, Szechuan food (when done well; nothing is worse than bad szechuan)  and Thai cooking in general. Most of the things here have sounded rather bland, to be honest.

I had this crazy prawn with szechuan pepper and chillies thing the other day. It blew my mind. Your mouth goes through the various stages of:

1) Mmm, sweet
2) Mmm, spicey
3) What the fuck, my mouth has gone numb, what the hell is this stuff?
4) Now my mouth is kind of numb but I still have a pleasant spicy sensation from the chillies.
5) ...!

With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #168 on: 14 Feb 2008, 19:37 »

All this talk of bread sauce is reminding me of my latest lunchtime obsession: hearty soups in bread bowls. I don't know if they've always had 'em and I just never noticed, or if it's a new thing lately, but I've been finding that all of the sandwich places around where I work have soups in bread bowls. My favorite thus far is the cream of chicken from Panera; although I don't like their sandwiches, their soup is delicious.

I believe I remember my parents taking my sisters and me to The Atlanta Bread Company sundays after church for Broccoli and Cheese or Tomato Soup breadbowls when I was either 9 or 10? I dunno. At least 10 years ago. Highlight of my week when I was that age, though.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #169 on: 14 Feb 2008, 19:49 »

Ah, yeah, I see you know exactly what I'm talking about ViolentDove. Such dishes are delicious, but the spices involved are frightening stuff in the wrong hands.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #170 on: 14 Feb 2008, 20:18 »

Joe Hocking is the fist person I have seen to feel the same way on this matter.
Well I don't really hate it I suppose. It's not like the flavor makes me gag or anything, just that I'd never choose to use ketchup. And even that has one rather specific exception: corndogs (not that I eat corndogs often.) Everything else (burgers, hot dogs, french fries, etc.) hold the ketchup please.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #171 on: 14 Feb 2008, 20:21 »

Ranch dressing has almost completely replaced ketchup in my condiment diet. The only thing I use ketchup on now is meatloaf.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #172 on: 14 Feb 2008, 21:03 »

Joe Hocking is the fist person I have seen to feel the same way on this matter.
Well I don't really hate it I suppose. It's not like the flavor makes me gag or anything, just that I'd never choose to use ketchup. And even that has one rather specific exception: corndogs (not that I eat corndogs often.) Everything else (burgers, hot dogs, french fries, etc.) hold the ketchup please.

I also take my food without ketchup. Why ruin a good burger with it?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #173 on: 14 Feb 2008, 21:44 »

From the Wikipediea article:
"Pork dripping is served cold to be spread on bread (bread and dripping), particularly for breakfast. In parts of Yorkshire, this is known as a "mucky fat" sandwich. It is also served on toast with salt, also mainly for breakfast."

In response to Khar's bashing of American food, what the FUCK England? Why the hell would you torture yourself by eating this crap?

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #174 on: 14 Feb 2008, 22:04 »

i don't dislike ketchup, but i rarely use it because i like substituting guacamole instead. seriously, guacamole burgers are so good.

my diet the past week or so has been salad, hot water, and pb&j sandwiches, with little exception. mostly pb&j.

this is kind of a problem. but it makes me so happy!

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #175 on: 14 Feb 2008, 22:30 »

I substitute tomato sauce with Hommus all the time.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #176 on: 14 Feb 2008, 23:29 »

From the Wikipediea article:
"Pork dripping is served cold to be spread on bread (bread and dripping), particularly for breakfast. In parts of Yorkshire, this is known as a "mucky fat" sandwich. It is also served on toast with salt, also mainly for breakfast."

In response to Khar's bashing of American food, what the FUCK England? Why the hell would you torture yourself by eating this crap?

Oh please, dripping is one of the most disgusting foods to ever exist. Truly horrible. It smells and it's greasy and watching someone eat it is rather akin to watching someone eating vomit on toast and enjoying it. Gross.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #177 on: 15 Feb 2008, 06:49 »

You're talking about Yorkshire, man. Yorkshire requires special dispensation, on account of being so depressing and northern, though it is the place of origin of the Yorkshire Pudding which is a staple of a good Sunday Roast, which is awesome food. Roast beef, a bit of gravy, yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes with thyme, some vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, cabbage,  peas, whatever, and some redcurrant jelly, is pretty hard shit to beat. Then there are things like fish and chips, steak and ale pie, stews and hotpots, full english breakfast, shepherds pie, fishermans pie and so forth. Then there are biscuits and cream teas and a large variety of cakes and so on and so on. Also do not forget that the sandwich is a British invention, nor overlook the British iterations on Chinese and Indian cuisine! Traditional British food may be somewhat simple and unadorned, but that does not really make it bland. There is a great bit in Notes From a Small Island where Bill Bryson admires the English for being the only nation in the world where people can get genuinely excited about jam, and where he opines that it is better to be able to genuinely enjoy toasted tea cakes and digestive biscuits than to 'cram tactile pleasure into all your orifices non-stop until your taste buds die' is I believe the phrase he uses.

Also, the British make the best beer in the world, and I will fight any man, woman or child who says otherwise.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2008, 06:51 by KharBevNor »
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #178 on: 15 Feb 2008, 10:46 »

I might take this for my sig quote.
The point of eating this food is to remind yourself of the terrible, bleak life we must endure.  :laugh:

KharBevNor is right on all points.

I'm not trying to stir things up again, but how are we being critised on our food by the nation that gave the Golden Arches?  :evil:
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #179 on: 15 Feb 2008, 11:04 »

Dude do not bash the Mickie D's. They make some damn fine hotcakes.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #180 on: 15 Feb 2008, 11:05 »

I have to agree with Khar. England, while not the land of lavish spices and exotic dishes, is the land of tasty food in a very satisfying way. A simple beef and potato pasty is one of my favorite things to eat for dinner.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

sean

• welp
« Reply #181 on: 15 Feb 2008, 11:57 »

Dude do not bash the Mickie D's. They make some damn fine hotcakes.

And that's about all they can do right.
... Well the hash browns are good too. I'll give them that too.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #182 on: 15 Feb 2008, 12:02 »

Guys McDonalds is tangibly evil. Why would you ever eat McDonalds?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #183 on: 15 Feb 2008, 12:08 »

It's convenient, they made sure of it.

öde

« Reply #184 on: 15 Feb 2008, 12:12 »

People do plenty of shit things because they're convenient.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #185 on: 15 Feb 2008, 12:26 »

McDonalds. I love chicken nuggets, but when I was little, I had a hard time eating theirs. I would break open every one to make sure if it was white meat. If they weren't, I wouldn't eat them, because to picky eaters, those things were very very questionable.

But now they are white meat, so it's ok. But other places have better nuggets! Like Chik-Fil-A! BECAUSE IT'S OBVIOUS IT'S REAL CHICKEN.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #186 on: 15 Feb 2008, 12:30 »

Do you realize you've probably inspired Jon to drag me to go get some this weekend? Now I'm just going to have to listen to him talking about how wonderful it is for hours until he gets it.  Thanks a lot.  Seriously. That's less time I need to hear about how wonderful he is.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #187 on: 15 Feb 2008, 12:31 »

It's convenient, they made sure of it.

So is just doing a shit in the middle of the street rather than looking for a toilet. I don't see your point.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #188 on: 15 Feb 2008, 12:47 »

nor overlook the British iterations on Chinese

dude
wait
what

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #189 on: 15 Feb 2008, 12:54 »

Man, if only you people could develop as much passion about, say, the genocide in Darfur as you can about what you call a fucking carbonated beverage.

Sigged. Also, I eat mayonnaise on bread on its own. OM NOM NOM NOM.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #190 on: 15 Feb 2008, 13:15 »

Do you realize you've probably inspired Jon to drag me to go get some this weekend? Now I'm just going to have to listen to him talking about how wonderful it is for hours until he gets it.  Thanks a lot.  Seriously. That's less time I need to hear about how wonderful he is.

Damn. That is serious. I apologize. Talk to him about shoes. Maybe that topic will either shut him up or at least lead away from chicken and himself.

Chipotle sounds really good right now. I know I'm going to a Mexican-style restaurant (no, not authentic, but still delicious), but I just want Chipotle. Stuff is addictive.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #191 on: 15 Feb 2008, 13:21 »

I seem to remember someone that wasn't Jon calling me and telling me how amazing Chick-Fil-A was.

But who was it? HMMM??
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #192 on: 15 Feb 2008, 16:18 »

dude
wait
what

What, you think the chinese food in Britain would be recognisable to anyone from China?

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #193 on: 15 Feb 2008, 16:37 »

I'm pretty sure that was his point.
That is it bad.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #194 on: 15 Feb 2008, 17:05 »

Perhaps, but Chinese food, and Indian (and I don't know what else), was adapted for British tastes, or because the right ingredients weren't available. I rememer hearing that lemon chicken is foriegn to actually Chinese chefs.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #195 on: 15 Feb 2008, 17:12 »

dude
wait
what

What, you think the chinese food in Britain would be recognisable to anyone from China?
It's worse in America, dude.

I spent $15 on a number of orders of vietnamese spring and crystal (non-fried) rolls for my family last night, and they didn't include the sauces. The sauces are the best part. Nobody ate them. I hate it when that happens.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2008, 17:15 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #196 on: 15 Feb 2008, 17:16 »

I seem to remember someone that wasn't Jon calling me and telling me how amazing Chick-Fil-A was.

But who was it? HMMM??

It was good, but I wouldn't talk about it for hours on end.  I will comment and say it was fucking delicious, but I have more important things to talk about... shoes and other things that make me look cute.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #197 on: 15 Feb 2008, 17:21 »

Chik-Fil-A is an evangelical company, not that it matters to most people. Here, at least, they print bible verses on all the cups, and they play Veggietales (sp?) on loop.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #198 on: 15 Feb 2008, 19:30 »

I knew it was evangelical as it's always closed on Sundays, like Hobby Lobby is, but I don't think I've ever seen anything with a bible verse on it here. And I've never been in a restaurant, so I wouldn't know about the Veggie Tales thing.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #199 on: 15 Feb 2008, 21:25 »

Y'know what's good? Caesar Salad. With actual, authentic Caesar dressing.

Also, orange juice, at any time of day.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up