THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm hungry.  (Read 55235 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Re: I'm hungry.
« Reply #200 on: 15 Feb 2008, 23:16 »

There's bible verses on In-n-Out cups and stuff.

Doesn't make it any less fucking amazing.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #201 on: 16 Feb 2008, 03:09 »

dude
wait
what

What, you think the chinese food in Britain would be recognisable to anyone from China?
It's worse in America, dude.

Man, why is it a bad thing? As Doug said, Chinese food was adapted for British ingredients and tastes. It's still hella delicious, I don't give two fucking shits if its genuinely what they eat in Szechwan. Why should I? I don't go to a chinese restaurant to get some mystical taste of the orient. I go to eat delicious foodstuffs until I have to adjust the waistband of my trousers.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #202 on: 16 Feb 2008, 04:06 »

It's still hella delicious

This is where I'm going to have to disagree with you.  Maybe I'm eating at all the wrong places, but yeah, it's pretty much like British and Chinese food had a bastard child with an MSG mutation. 

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #203 on: 16 Feb 2008, 04:32 »

Maybe your taste buds are broked.

I dunno.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #204 on: 16 Feb 2008, 07:02 »

The Indian food here is still OK, though.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #205 on: 16 Feb 2008, 07:03 »

Y'know what's good? Caesar Salad. With actual, authentic Caesar dressing.

Also, orange juice, at any time of day.

I have a love/hate relationship with orange juice. I won't have any for a while, and then I'll really want a glass. When I finally have one, I realize that I don't like orange juice, and then the cycle repeats.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #206 on: 16 Feb 2008, 11:54 »

dude
wait
what

What, you think the chinese food in Britain would be recognisable to anyone from China?
It's worse in America, dude.

I spent $15 on a number of orders of vietnamese spring and crystal (non-fried) rolls for my family last night, and they didn't include the sauces. The sauces are the best part. Nobody ate them. I hate it when that happens.

http://bufordhighway.com/main/
http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A16053
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_State_Route_13

Maybe you guys need to get better food places.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

AnotherQCaddict

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #207 on: 16 Feb 2008, 18:17 »

I had roast beef sammiches today.  I am now pleased.  We're talking about Chinese food now?  I don't like the spicey stuff... it has a way of taking my tongue out back and killing it.
*sneezes* Sorry, I'm allergic to bullshit.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #208 on: 18 Feb 2008, 01:12 »

Today, I will be mostly eating eggs. I have like, five eggs I need to use up.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #209 on: 18 Feb 2008, 01:39 »

In response to Khar's bashing of American food, what the FUCK England? Why the hell would you torture yourself by eating this crap?

You're talking about Yorkshire, man. Yorkshire requires special dispensation, on account of being so depressing and northern, though it is the place of origin of the Yorkshire Pudding which is a staple of a good Sunday Roast, which is awesome food. Roast beef, a bit of gravy, yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes with thyme, some vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, cabbage,  peas, whatever, and some redcurrant jelly, is pretty hard shit to beat. Then there are things like fish and chips, steak and ale pie, stews and hotpots, full english breakfast, shepherds pie, fishermans pie and so forth. Then there are biscuits and cream teas and a large variety of cakes and so on and so on. Also do not forget that the sandwich is a British invention, nor overlook the British iterations on Chinese and Indian cuisine! Traditional British food may be somewhat simple and unadorned, but that does not really make it bland. There is a great bit in Notes From a Small Island where Bill Bryson admires the English for being the only nation in the world where people can get genuinely excited about jam, and where he opines that it is better to be able to genuinely enjoy toasted tea cakes and digestive biscuits than to 'cram tactile pleasure into all your orifices non-stop until your taste buds die' is I believe the phrase he uses.

Also, the British make the best beer in the world, and I will fight any man, woman or child who says otherwise.

Not to Necro beat a dead horse, but since I never got to respond to this for some reason I'm bringin' it back. True, every single food you've listed there sounds absolutely awesome, and there's plenty of other foods from the UK that I'd love to try. Being as I'm an Anthony Bourdain fan, his episode of No Reservations about going to Britain made it sound like one of the holy lands for foodies, and I hope to go there and spend a large amount of time discovering the culinary excellency of uniquely British cuisine. The only reason I looked for something that sounded disgusting to throw back at you is because I feel you are far too dismissive of many things Americans eat and that I like, and it sounds like you haven't even tried the majority of it. There are literally thousands of dishes that have been developed in the melting pot of cultures that is the US, and I feel that neither of us should over generalize the others food preferences. Plus through the text of the internet you're coming off as a major elitist, dude. (not that that's the way you intended to sound and there's been numerous posts in the past week or so about people constantly not being able to read other people's intentions through the intarwebs)
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #210 on: 18 Feb 2008, 02:54 »

Not to Necro beat a dead horse, but since I never got to respond to this for some reason I'm bringin' it back. True, every single food you've listed there sounds absolutely awesome, and there's plenty of other foods from the UK that I'd love to try. Being as I'm an Anthony Bourdain fan, his episode of No Reservations about going to Britain made it sound like one of the holy lands for foodies...
Oh wow, Anthony Bourdain does Britain. I'll have to find that. Kitchen Confidential kicks arse.

...and I hope to go there and spend a large amount of time discovering the culinary excellency of uniquely British cuisine. The only reason I looked for something that sounded disgusting to throw back at you is because I feel you are far too dismissive of many things Americans eat and that I like, and it sounds like you haven't even tried the majority of it. There are literally thousands of dishes that have been developed in the melting pot of cultures that is the US, and I feel that neither of us should over generalize the others food preferences. Plus through the text of the internet you're coming off as a major elitist, dude. (not that that's the way you intended to sound and there's been numerous posts in the past week or so about people constantly not being able to read other people's intentions through the intarwebs)

I think I should I mention that I stirred this pot too, reaching for the most unpleasant things in our national cookbook for comic effect.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #211 on: 18 Feb 2008, 04:48 »

But I am an elitist, you pleb.

I just went to the coffee place over at the big university and got myself a brie, cranberry and lettuce baguette, a chocolate croissant (as in a croissant filled with and sprinkled with chocolate, not a pain au chocolat) and a large americano. I do not really like americanos, but it was the only option for caffeination! I know that coffee places like americanos because you can make 'em on an espresso machine but are the coffee drinkers of this country so depraved that there is really not enough demand to justify a seperate filter coffee machine?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #212 on: 18 Feb 2008, 04:53 »

Oh wow, Anthony Bourdain does Britain. I'll have to find that.

Fairly recent episode..last week, maybe. Or two weeks ago.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #213 on: 18 Feb 2008, 16:59 »

I just went to the coffee place over at the big university and got myself a brie, cranberry and lettuce baguette, a chocolate croissant (as in a croissant filled with and sprinkled with chocolate, not a pain au chocolat) and a large americano. I do not really like americanos, but it was the only option for caffeination! I know that coffee places like americanos because you can make 'em on an espresso machine but are the coffee drinkers of this country so depraved that there is really not enough demand to justify a seperate filter coffee machine?

I work in a coffee shop that has a seperate filter machine. We do them far more than americanos. Being a huge snob ( :wink:), you probably wouldn't like it. It's part of a supermarket. Not a concession, it's actually run by the store.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #214 on: 18 Feb 2008, 18:33 »

I don't really give a shit about that hipster bollocks. Unless I have a specific ethical reason not to give the supermarket my patronage. Like, I won't shop at Asda because they're owned by Walmart, and I won't shop at Tescos because they're shits, and all their produce sucks anyway.

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #215 on: 19 Feb 2008, 03:10 »

It isn't either of those two, and I was just kidding about the "huge snob". I liked this line:

I have a friend who assumes all our customers are lumpen epsilons for drinking in a supermarket, but at the same time, he admits he has no basis for snobbery.
« Last Edit: 19 Feb 2008, 03:12 by Doug S. Machina »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #216 on: 19 Feb 2008, 03:21 »

Was that a Huxley reference?

Lets never fight again.

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #217 on: 19 Feb 2008, 03:29 »

Was that a Huxley reference?

Lets never fight again.

Ahhh. Good literature makes everything better.  :wink:

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #218 on: 20 Feb 2008, 21:19 »

Buford Highway links

None of them mention Tofu House? It's the best. Where else can you get bul go gi at 3am?
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

BobJoeJim

« Reply #219 on: 20 Feb 2008, 21:31 »

My (now ex) roommate requested that I make him smoked salmon mac'n'cheese for his goodbye dinner tonight.  His request was a wise one, SO GOOD!!!

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #220 on: 20 Feb 2008, 22:10 »

I love smoked salmon. I usually eat it with avocado slices and lemon-dill sour cream, but now I want it in mac'n'cheese, because that sounds excellent.

Out of curiosity, was it premade mac'n'cheese or homemade? If homemade, what kind of cheese did you use?
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.

BobJoeJim

« Reply #221 on: 20 Feb 2008, 22:51 »

Homemade.  Two tablespoons of butter, two tablespoons flour and four cloves of minced garlic for the roux.  A pint of cream, bring it to a simmer, then flake in half a pound of smoked salmon and add about 6-7 ounces of shredded smoked cheddar and 1-2 ounces of shredded parmesan.  Stir until the cheese is melted, add a pound of cooked macaroni (I used shells), mix well, and season with just a dash of salt, basil and thyme.  I used peppered smoked salmon so didn't need to add any extra black pepper.

If I were doing this as a formal recipe I'd use less smoked salmon (like four ounces) and a little less cheese, and add some sort of vegetable (I was thinking peas).  This version would be more universal I think, but when I'm just making it for myself I just pile in the salmon and cheese, in a "the more the merrier" way.  I think it works out well :)

Edit: Oh yeah, desert was chocolate dipped strawberries.  And later I'm going to make ginger-orange creme brulee which will be desert tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2008, 23:06 by BobJoeJim »

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #222 on: 25 Feb 2008, 21:46 »

smoked salmon mac'n'cheese

I made this in class today because my normal assignment took less than half of the time allowed. I didn't have plain smoked cheddar, so I used a mixture of pecorino romano and an Irish Cheddar no one knows the name of, topped with chevre after it wasdone baking. The curds are steeped in Guiness and it is the best cheese ever. I also added some shallots and garlic sauteed in clarified butterand deglazed with a few ounces of chardonnay. It was pretty damn tasty.

Good recipe BobJoeJim

A+ WOULD EAT AGAIN

I also made Tournedos Rossini. Basically 3oz beef tenderloin medallions, seasoned with S&P, on a fresh-made garlic crouton over a sauce of veal stock & madeira, with black truffle shavings and seared foie gras.

I loves my school.

BobJoeJim

« Reply #223 on: 25 Feb 2008, 21:48 »

I want to go to your school.  So much.  Stupid "money" and its "being necessary for things".

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #224 on: 09 Mar 2008, 10:40 »

I have made lots of hummus! It's kind of a pain, but I have like a month's supply now.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #225 on: 11 Mar 2008, 13:43 »

Oh god I love hummus. You cannot comprehend how much I love hummus. I eat hummus straight from the tub with a spoon. I eat hummus and mushrooms. I eat hummus with carrot sticks (and you probably can't comprehend how much I hate raw carrots, either, so that's a testament to how much I love hummus).

Why is there no hummus in this house? You've made me hungry, person-whose-name-my-keyboard-won't-spell.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #226 on: 11 Mar 2008, 17:34 »

Just call him Dan:)
I have been wasting a lot of time here lately, and I am so hungry and jealous of this kid for having such an awesome vegan mother now
http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #227 on: 11 Mar 2008, 18:44 »

i always just copy/paste the sonova bitch. öde ... see?

Hummus isn't all that hard to make, don't you really just need like Chickpeas, Tahini and a bunch of herbs and spices to taste?
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

thehollow

« Reply #228 on: 11 Mar 2008, 18:59 »

i love hummus, and have been thinking about making my own recently. Seems easy enough to make, but I'm the only one in my house who likes it, so it wouldn't be used up all that quickly. Anyone know how long the fresh stuff keeps in a fridge? i've seen anything between a couple days and a few weeks.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #229 on: 11 Mar 2008, 19:13 »

I find homemade hummus starts to taste questionable after about four days.  It's the primary reason I don't make my own, since I live alone and it would not be used up quickly enough.  Plus, the co-op four blocks away makes really good hummus and mine just hasn't measured up. 

The thing that confuses me about hummus is how awful the store bought (like Athenos, not the fresh co-op deli deliciousness) is.  It looks like the same ingredients, but they somehow make it into a chalky, dense paste that tastes nothing like real hummus.  I know fresh is supposed to be better, but it's basically a completely different food product. 

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #230 on: 12 Mar 2008, 03:49 »

You need chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and paprika. It can be kept for 3-5 days in the fridge or for up to one month in the freezer!

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #231 on: 12 Mar 2008, 04:14 »

It is delcious if you add a little bit of chilli powder into it as well.
Get off my land

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #232 on: 12 Mar 2008, 16:26 »

The roasted garlic hummus from Trader Joes is actually really good, as store-bought goes. It's a little less lemon-y than when I make it at home, but it's got a really nice texture.
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Z2.

« Reply #233 on: 12 Mar 2008, 17:11 »

Wrong. Call it pop, soda, whatever, but it's not Coke. You don't ask for a Budweiser when you want a Guinness, do you?

Maaaaannnnn... now I want a Guiness, and it is only just after lunch and I am at work  :-(  Probably a reaction to the heinous shredded tuna and mayo sammie I just forced myself to gag on!

Anyone for regurgitated tuna sandwich?

blaha 41

• Larger than most fish
    • I write about things like Steak & Wine Pairings
« Reply #234 on: 14 Mar 2008, 10:07 »

Wrong. Call it pop, soda, whatever, but it's not Coke. You don't ask for a Budweiser when you want a Guinness, do you?

Maaaaannnnn... now I want a Guiness, and it is only just after lunch and I am at work  :-(  Probably a reaction to the heinous shredded tuna and mayo sammie I just forced myself to gag on!

Anyone for regurgitated tuna sandwich?

i'm thinking really hard between someone off these two menus:
http://picketfencebrooklyn.com/51421_5615.asp

http://thefarmonadderley.com/Lunch_Menu.htm

I hate spending money on lunch, but I also hate bad food. The tuna on both menus have me mesmerized.

You need chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and paprika. It can be kept for 3-5 days in the fridge or for up to one month in the freezer!
i like to roast the garlic first. I also use it as a side to a morrocan style steak. i. am. so. hun.gry.
Read a book I wrote a book about steak and wine pairings: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F79NQK

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #235 on: 14 Mar 2008, 12:49 »

Portobello Sandwich           $8
     mozzarella, sundried tomato, pesto, arugula,         
     red onion on a baguette

That sounds really good.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #236 on: 14 Mar 2008, 13:17 »

I really want some curry.  :-( I hope the people I'm going out to dinner with tomorrow are fond of Indian food...
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

blaha 41

• Larger than most fish
    • I write about things like Steak & Wine Pairings
« Reply #237 on: 26 Mar 2008, 13:45 »

sausage peppers and onion calzone today. so not fulfilling, but so enjoyable. now i want some doritos :(
Read a book I wrote a book about steak and wine pairings: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F79NQK

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #238 on: 26 Mar 2008, 20:14 »

home made fries and Rubens ftmfw!

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #239 on: 26 Mar 2008, 20:50 »

Vending machine sourdough bites and stale-tasting water!
Man, ew, dinner on work nights sucks. Also, I need to wash this nalgene more often.

muteKi

« Reply #240 on: 26 Mar 2008, 20:59 »

Man, I would like to meet the guy who came up with the Reuben and figure out what he was thinking.

I mean, they're good, but it's hard enough sometimes finding people who like corned beef, sauerkraut, or rye bread each on its own merit.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #241 on: 26 Mar 2008, 22:13 »

I like each on its own merit, and together!

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #242 on: 26 Mar 2008, 22:26 »

Man, I would like to meet the guy who came up with the Reuben and figure out what he was thinking.

I mean, they're good, but it's hard enough sometimes finding people who like corned beef, sauerkraut, or rye bread each on its own merit.
I dunno but I'm so very glad he thought it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up