THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just have to say...  (Read 16854 times)

mrtame

I just have to say...
« on: 12 Feb 2008, 13:46 »

As an avid reader of webcomics for the past 8 or so years, and a fan of comics in general for almost my entire life, this comic has quickly become my absolute, single favorite comic experience. The quality of the artwork, in conjunction with the frequency of the updates is astounding. Especially when also taking into consideration how absolutely entertaining it is without fail on a constant basis. I commend you for your work and i hope Questionable Content continues for a long time.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2008, 13:50 by mrtame »

Scruffy

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • The Janitor
Re: I just have to say...
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2008, 14:26 »

Same here, I've followed many a webcomic, but this one keeps me engrossed every day.  :laugh:

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2008, 14:38 »

I have found the quality in the last couple hundred strips to be lacking.  To me it feels like it is suffering from Simpsons Syndrome.

I still read it every day because it only takes about a minute and it is rarely actively bad.

The only thing I do not really like is that the characters seem to be aging in reverse order and acting younger than they are supposed to be lately, with a few exceptions.

And, Hanners.  To hell with people who think she is overexposed or "too cute".  I'd rather read 100 strips about her than 1 higschool-level-relationship-drama strip.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Apple Pie

• Plantmonster
  • Chicks flashing PCI slots doesn't do much for me.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2008, 15:24 »

I have found the quality in the last couple hundred strips to be lacking.  To me it feels like it is suffering from Simpsons Syndrome.

DISAGREE.

These last couple of arcs have been hilarious. I couldn't have hoped for more.

This comic has quickly become my absolute, single favorite comic experience.

AGREE.

I don't know what I'd do without my daily QC intake. I don't know if it's the art, the humour, the character development, the storylines or just all of the above, I find this comic to be the most engaging comic I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Well done Jeph.  :lol:
"Did your Man Jesus ever have a wife?"
"No, but his girlfriend was a whore."
"Well...that's a start."

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2008, 15:37 »

The last thing I can clearly remember being hilarious was the VespaVenger out of nowhere.  That was a fun little bit of WTF.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2008, 15:49 »

As an avid reader of webcomics for the past 8 or so years, and a fan of comics in general for almost my entire life, this comic has quickly become my absolute, single favorite comic experience. The quality of the artwork, in conjunction with the frequency of the updates is astounding. Especially when also taking into consideration how absolutely entertaining it is without fail on a constant basis. I commend you for your work and i hope Questionable Content continues for a long time.

I've said much the same thing.  And now the comic and the forums is my daily fun fix.
Irresponsible Adult GOM

mrtame

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2008, 22:29 »

I only stumbled upon this gem a couple of weeks ago and read through the archives quickly. Watching the art evolve has been amazing.

I absolutely love hannelore, she is one of my favorite characters. I went back to read her first few strips and it's pretty odd to see her as she was initially introduced.

My only issues with the storyline lately is the deep gnawing fear of seeing Faye end up with Sven or the coffee shop guy. I just can't accept it. I would rather see some twisted love triangle mess develop between her, marten and dora, as he is the only male in the cast worthy of her affections IMO.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2008, 05:42 »

Agreed, I check it every day, and it never disappoints. The art's evolution is amazing. Also, what Apple Pie said.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2008, 12:04 »

I agree totally, especially with:

... the deep gnawing fear of seeing Faye end up with Sven or the coffee shop guy. I just can't accept it. I would rather see some twisted love triangle mess develop between her, marten and dora, as he is the only male in the cast worthy of her affections IMO.

EXACTAMUNDO...!!!        Take that, all you Sven/Faye (Svaye? Fen?) shippers!
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2008, 12:49 »

Take that, all you Sven/Faye (Svaye? Fen?) shippers!

God, please don't bring this "TomKat" contraction crap in (though I laughed when I read that.) Surely Svaye Fen is a mossy bog in Denmark? (According to Wikipedia, "A fen is a fun type of wetland fed by surface and/or groundwater." I like my wetlands to be enjoyable.)

Shunting Faye into a couple would seem rushed, I think.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2008, 14:03 »

Having Faye go on a date after 1000 strips and over 3 years of real-life time would be "rushed"?

The plot is already progressing at a glacial pace, for crying out loud.  I sincerely hope Jeph is not planning on doing his 5000th strip when he's 40 and having it center around Faye's second date.  I could be entirely wrong but I would really hope he has some bigger plan for his life than doing a QC strip every day for the rest of it, and that to that end he has some sense of actually working to a conclusion that doesn't take nearly a decade.

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2008, 14:31 »

Fair point.

Apple Pie

• Plantmonster
  • Chicks flashing PCI slots doesn't do much for me.
« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2008, 14:56 »

The last thing I can clearly remember being hilarious was the VespaVenger out of nowhere.  That was a fun little bit of WTF.

What about the arc going on now? (ie. the karaoke war)
And the "LOOK AT MY ASS AND TELL ME IT'S PRETTY!"? And the following chair fight?

Sure, things aren't as dramatic as they were a while back when Faye was revealling all that stuff about her dad, but I still wouldn't call the current progression "glacial pace". The way I see things, this comic is meant to be a bit of (high quality and brilliant) fun for everyone's day, not the most action-packed, drama-filled, shocking-OMFG-worthy comic on the net. Things will evolve if we just give it time, but I think rushing the plot line for the sake of a bit of excitement would be a big mistake.

"Did your Man Jesus ever have a wife?"
"No, but his girlfriend was a whore."
"Well...that's a start."

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2008, 15:11 »

What about the arc going on now? (ie. the karaoke war)
And the "LOOK AT MY ASS AND TELL ME IT'S PRETTY!"? And the following chair fight?

That line was comedy gold. Also, "What else have I failed to notice today? Are my pants on backwards? Am I on FIRE? DID I KILL A GUY EARLIER?" Angus was fun. (I'm not going to go through the whole archive for the high points.)

Sure, things aren't as dramatic as they were a while back when Faye was revealling all that stuff about her dad, but I still wouldn't call the current progression "glacial pace". The way I see things, this comic is meant to be a bit of (high quality and brilliant) fun for everyone's day, not the most action-packed, drama-filled, shocking-OMFG-worthy comic on the net. Things will evolve if we just give it time, but I think rushing the plot line for the sake of a bit of excitement would be a big mistake.

Thank you. I couldn't articulate that for some reason.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2008, 16:03 »

I still wouldn't call the current progression "glacial pace". The way I see things, this comic is meant to be a bit of (high quality and brilliant) fun for everyone's day, not the most action-packed, drama-filled, shocking-OMFG-worthy comic on the net. Things will evolve if we just give it time, but I think rushing the plot line for the sake of a bit of excitement would be a big mistake.

I'm not talking about rushing the plot for excitement, I'm talking about whether QC is a story that will have a conclusion sometime this decade or if it's just like a newspaper comic strip along the lines of Garfield or Doonesbury that will only end when Jeph dies and will be the only thing he does with his talent?

Maybe I'm weird, but I'd rather see QC get wrapped up and Jeph go on to work on something a bit more planned-ahead and solid from a storytelling standpoint.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #15 on: 13 Feb 2008, 20:17 »

Nope, have to agree with Zero. The last two funny strips that actually made me laugh out loud were #1057 and #967.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

LordChristofMcGee

« Reply #16 on: 13 Feb 2008, 20:28 »

I just started reading this Webcomic a few days ago (I got the link from reallifecomics.com another fantastic read) and I was thoroughly engrossed... in fact I read thru all 1077 comics over the past 3 days and found a slight tinge of disappointment when I finally caught up to the present...

keep up the good work Jeph!

easilyamused

« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2008, 10:18 »

aaand on the other end of the spectrum -- before QC, I had literally NEVER READ A COMIC, cyberspatial or otherwise (excluding newspaper funnies).  I didn't really get the whole 'webcomic' thing.  Then, three weeks ago, I was introduced to QC.  I was instantly addicted (as in, spending five hours on the archives one night) and hooked two other non-comic-reading friends on it.    :laugh: :laugh:  it is spreading!  no one is safe!

ps Pintsize is my little mechanical soulmate.

Michael Nehora

« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2008, 11:24 »

Zerodrone, I understand what you're saying, but remember that QC is how Jeph earns his living.  Given his apparent success with the specific QC ethos (for lack of a better term) and the merchandise based on it (with the merch ideas coming directly from the strip on an ongoing basis), it makes perfect sense for him to continue the strip as long as possible.  Sure, he could wrap it up in a couple of months and do something else, but as the saying goes,  "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."  If he moved on to another project, with or without fast-paced storytelling, there's no guarantee people would like it as much, and while he might elect to continue doing that other project just for the enjoyment, he might not be able to support himself with it.

As for the argument that Jeph should have "some bigger plan for his life," that QC should not be "the only thing he does with his talent"...with respect, I don't think it's anyone's place to say what a creator should or shouldn't be doing with his life.  If Jeph feels that QC is fulfilling his potential and is making his life enjoyable and meaningful (while also earning him a living), more power to him.

I'll close with this Something Positive strip that says it all.

Amadeus

« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb 2008, 12:06 »

That was actually my least favorite of all of them. Don't get me wrong, it was good for what it was, but I just didn't like it nearly as much as the rest.

StreetSpirit

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2008, 13:00 »

Long live Jeph's 'slice of life' comic and the ever evolving and enjoyable story that seems to always offer a little nugget of joy or humor while also developing quite the enjoyable and addicting story. The pace seems sensible because allows for the characters' actions to be more justified so they remain true to themselves.

Long live QC.
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2008, 14:24 »

Zerodrone, I understand what you're saying, but remember that QC is how Jeph earns his living.

Well, that is more or less my point.  The way QC currently exists I am not sure that I see it ever making much money.  I am not sure how long one can live on T-shirt sales and advertising.  As much as I dislike, say, MegaTokyo, I can at least see how it makes a substantial amount of money.

I did not say QC should be "wrapped up in a couple months", I just would assume that at some point in Jeph's life he will want to do something else.  I could be wrong.  And I did not say that he would have to stop QC before starting something else.  That would be foolish.

rainnsreinn

« Reply #22 on: 15 Feb 2008, 08:57 »

I've been reading the comic for 3 years now and I still adore it. It's been a treat to see how the art has evolved and to see the characters grow and change.
Keep up the good work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up