THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 17:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JONES!!!!  (Read 26158 times)

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
JONES!!!!
« on: 14 Feb 2008, 11:45 »

The first trailer for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is out.

http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html

Go forth and enjoys it all
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
Re: JONES!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2008, 19:51 »

Oh dear Lord...Why Shia LeBeouf?  Why can't Hollywood stop resurrecting the classics?  If there was one great movie series I hoped they would leave alone, it was the Indiana Jones movies.  I mean, all those terrible videogames would be embarrassing enough, don't you think?

I just hope there is a minimum of Shia LeBeouf and a maximum of nazi ass-kicking in this one.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 20:02 by imapiratearg »

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2008, 20:00 »

Shia LeBouf does not deserve to be in Indiana Jones.

That being said, this movie is just a bad idea. It had a good run. It's just like thread necromancy. It just doesn't work.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2008, 20:02 »

The film takes place in the 50's, thus, no nazis. Only Cate Blanchett with a Louise Brooks cut. Technically, the Soviets killed more people than the nazis. So they fit as the Big Evil Villains.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

imapiratearg

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2008, 20:03 »

I watched the trailer, and they looked like Nazis to me.  I'll watch it again.

I couldn't tell.  :|   Is there a blurb or something I can read about it?  'Cause I can't find anything besides the trailer on this site.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 20:18 by imapiratearg »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2008, 20:36 »

Well, the wikipedia page states it in the first paragraph, but if that's not a good enough source... I don't know. A number of (seemingly accurate) spoilers have been thrown around film news sites for the last couple of months, so I'd be careful looking about.

I'm a little disappointed that they're taking their cues from 50's B sci-fi flicks this time around. The pulp adventure vibes of the first two were what made them great, in my eyes. The third was more of a victory lap than anything else. But I'll still see this one.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2008, 20:41 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2008, 04:48 »

Honestly, I believe that this movie will be everything a fan could possibly want from another Indiana Jones movie. Whether its' pulp desert adventure, or pulp sci-fi adventure, it's still pulp. It's still being made by the exact same people that made the previous movies. All the stunts are 'real' and a minimum of CGI is being used, as usual. Harrison Ford still carried out a LOT of his own stunts, which, when viewing the trailer is not only obvious, but very impressive. The man is pushing 70 and still jumping through sugar-glass windows.
This is Indiana Jones. Critics are guaranteed to hate it, but it's Indiana Jones. And if you grew up in the 80s, Indiana Jones was all you ever wanted to be when you grew up.

I mean, all those terrible videogames would be embarrassing enough, don't you think?

You take that back. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Desktop Indiana Jones were modern day masterpieces when they arrived.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2008, 06:00 »

I have to agree with Sox, actually. There was an article in Variety a month or so ago concerning this movie (Said article also detailed the fact these are Cold War Soviets, not Nazis). There were snippets from Spielberg himself and I couldn't be more pumped for this movie. The thing people need to take into account is that the original Indiana Jones movies were never any kind of cinematic masterpieces. They were just fun movies with great acting from Ford (In fact, I'd call Temple of Doom and outright terrible movie). Unless Ford's managed to lose all semblance of acting skills, I can't see this movie being any different.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2008, 06:58 »

Technically, the Soviets killed more people than the nazis. So they fit as the Big Evil Villains.

Yeah, but the Nazis were more efficient. They also killed way more children than the soviets.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2008, 12:16 »

You take that back. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Desktop Indiana Jones wereare modern day masterpieces when they arrived.
Fxed.

Technically, the Soviets killed more people than the nazis. So they fit as the Big Evil Villains.

Yeah, but the Nazis were more efficient. They also killed way more children than the soviets.
The Soviets were never about efficiency, though, they didn't need to be. They had enough soldiers that they could carelessly toss them at enemies. When we were making "pressure point" nukes that could hit strategic areas, they were packing more and more kilotons onto their "fire and forget" bombs.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2008, 14:20 »

I had an Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade game on my PC. It was awesome. Pixelated awesome in an electronic monster of a box.

Though I do not care for Shia LeBouf and I think Harrison Ford is a little old for this, I will see this movie. These movies were very fun as a little girl and this one will at least be a nostalgic sort of fun when I see it. And the part from the preview where he misses the one truck when he's swinging from his whip and crashes into the truck behind him is funny.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2008, 14:41 »

I think Shia LeBouf gets a lot of unfair criticism simply because he's in bad movies. Honestly, the movies he has been in so far have had no redeeming features besides the big robots in Transformers. We've seen what an effect bad direction can have on good actors. Let's not be too quick to judge. It's possible that under the direction of Steven Spielberg, Shia LeBouf can be a good actor.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2008, 16:26 »

It's his face.

Also, he did technically drink from the Holy Grail. Now, as long as no one kills the guy, they can make movies about him forever!

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2008, 17:17 »

Actually, I think the Immortal Knight of Modern English said that as soon as they crossed that Temple threshold that caused the quakin' they ceased to be immortal.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

imapiratearg

« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2008, 18:01 »

Guys, don't get me wrong.  I am going to see this movie.  I just have low expectations.

I mean, all those terrible videogames would be embarrassing enough, don't you think?

You take that back. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Desktop Indiana Jones were modern day masterpieces when they arrived.

I was referring mainly to the most recent Indiana Jones games.  Like that one platformer/action game that came out on all platforms a few  years ago.

The thing people need to take into account is that the original Indiana Jones movies were never any kind of cinematic masterpieces. They were just fun movies with great acting from Ford (In fact, I'd call Temple of Doom and outright terrible movie).

I guess I wouldn't say "masterpiece," but Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was brilliant.  But, yeah, Temple of Doom was kind of crappy.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2008, 18:14 »

Raiders is still the best one, as far as I'm concerned. I have more problems with Last Crusade than I did with Temple of Doom, but I don't have any problems with Raiders.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2008, 19:44 »

Temple of Doom was funny because of sheer absurdity. Last Crusade is a fun movie and I get a kick out of Sean Connery in that one, but yes, Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best. I mean, the Nazis melt. How is that now awesome?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 2008, 09:17 »

More like Shia LeBAWWWWWWWWWW
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2008, 09:53 »

Having not heard anything about this film until I saw this, seeing Shia LeBouf's face in the trailer made me quite sad. That said, I'm still hella excited about this. I mean, it's Jones!
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2008, 16:05 »

And the part from the preview where he misses the one truck when he's swinging from his whip and crashes into the truck behind him is funny.

In that scene, that looks like the warehouse where they put the Arc of the Covenant at the end of Raiders!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #20 on: 16 Feb 2008, 19:40 »

It does!

imapiratearg

« Reply #21 on: 16 Feb 2008, 21:35 »

That's because it is.

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #22 on: 17 Feb 2008, 15:59 »

Really, really looking forward to this!

It will be my first theatrical experience of Indy, so I'm pumped at the thought of that alone.

The whole sci-fi aspect is worrying though. I read an interview with Speilberg where he said that the originals were based in the 30's/40's so they went for the vibe of the adventure B-movies of that era, and the new one is based in the 50's so the want the vibe of the sci-fi B-movies of that period. I guess that kind of makes sense, but at the same time doesn't seem to me to be true to the spirit of the originals.

Still, I'll be there when it opens

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2008, 21:37 »

Bringing this thread back from the dead, because I just got back from seeing the movie.

OK. So, the biggest piece of advice I would have to anyone going to see it is to please remember to leave your perception of reality behind, and remember that the first three movies included the Ark of the Covenant melting Nazis, guys getting their hearts ripped out by someone's bare hand and Indy actually finding the Holy Grail. If you can believe those things, the stuff in this movie isn't so much of a stretch. Apparently, a lot of the people I went with weren't able to make that connection... I don't know why it's so hard.

That said, it was a fun pulp movie just like the others were. The action scenes and the humor were vintage Jones, just the plot was updated to include the CCCP and greasers. It is more sci-fi pulp than the others, but there is no shortage of Indy puzzle-solving and whatnot. And, the token swarm scene in this movie is the scariest of them all so far.

There were some great fan-service moments, too, which are pretty obvious if you're an Indy/LucasFilm fan.

It was fun, and it was awesome seeing Indiana Jones again, and I was not disappointed. I'm sure a lot of people will be, to be honest, but I was not.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2008, 22:00 »

INDIANA JONES FUCK YES
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2008, 22:56 »

Saw it at midnight last night, and it was pretty telling that even with half the crowd in costume there wasn't any sort of enthusiastic response once the credits rolled. There were two big problems with the film. One is that the script felt undercooked. Indy and Shy theBeef got a lot of screentime but Cate Blanchett never even reached the level of that bespectacled gestapo guy from Raiders, Karen Allen coasted on Raiders goodwill, and Ray Winstone was a poor replacement for John Rhys-Davies (who I guess was too busy shooting In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale to appear here). The second is that you could feel George Lucas' influence throughout so much of the movie. The 3 different CGI gopher reaction shots, surviving a nuke by hiding in a fridge (though that mushroom cloud shot was awesome) and fucking Shia LeBouf intercepting a speeding truck by swinging on vines with fucking attack monkeys. They talked up a storm about good old fashioned stuntwork, but the greenscreening was pretty evident and a lot of the fight scenes weren't all that rousing, at least not as rousing as fights from previous films. The bike chase through Yale was maybe the best part, since it didn't seem to use any CGI at all. Spielberg's always been a brilliant visual manipulator but he just doesn't come through here.

In fact, that was the biggest disappointment for me. Any of the other movies, despite their quality, always had a definite sense of place about them, whether it was the Middle East in Raiders and TLC or India in Temple of Doom. Maybe it's because the guy they've always used for cinematography retired after Last Crusade, but the locales all felt fairly lifeless and the Lost City at the end just felt fake. Maybe it was all the green screening or maybe I'm just crayzee.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2008, 23:00 »

I was definitely surprised/disappointed with the amount of CGI, considering they had been talking about using almost none... but I've come to expect certain things when Lucas is involved, and I wasn't going to let him ruin it for me.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #27 on: 23 May 2008, 01:44 »

I went to a midnight showing, it wasn't worth it.

The CGI sucked.
The one liners seemed forced.
Holy fuck the ending fucking sucked.

I'm a fan of the series. I liked the other films. This one was ok, until the fucking end. I mean, what the fuck? What in the world were they thinking? It's like they just fucking completely half assed the end. It was terrible. I was pretty disappointed.

All that said, the movie was absolutely horrid. I probably won't go see it again in theaters anytime soon(like I typically do with movies I really enjoy), but it's not like I had a bad time.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2008, 09:18 »

It's time for an Honest Movie Opinion by Kevin "Dissy"  Note:  Minor Spoilers, nothing you can't get from the trailers, and some useless information that somehow made the final cut.

I'll admit, I went into the movie with mixed opinions.  I was really expecting something a la the first three.  The introduction was really lame.    The first few minutes made me roll my eyes in disgust.  But then, then we get some action going.  We see the classic fedora before we see the man under the hat.  We also get introduced to the main villian, Colonel Doctor Ivanna Humalot, or something.  This isn't your old villians.  Kate Blanchet's accent keeps switching from crappy Russian to her normal English one.  She also is some sort of psi-ops officer. 

We jump into the warehouse scene, and the signature character gets betrayed, oh, and the ark is there as well.  He attempts an escape, and succeeds, only to get stuck in a "town" where a nuclear bomb is about to be dropped on.  How does he escape?  He hides in a lead refrigerator, which gets blown a mile or so away, which he crawls out of.  Next scene, we get The Janitor from Scrubs, pretending to be an FBI agent.  But we all see right through his disguise.  This is just one of Janitor's fantasies.  Well, the FBI black lists Indy as a possible Commie.  The FBI ransacks his office and gets Indy fired, but ... Lucas has another strange tangent which leads to the revelation that Marcos Brody (played by Elliot Delholm in Raiders and Last Crucade died several years ago) is dead, and so is Dad (Sean Connery). 

Next scene introduces Mutt, and we get 30 minutes of American Graffiti.  After that, we go to Peru, and we find the said Kystal Skull.  From here, the movie is all down hill.  I saw this movie with a couple of friends.  One of us and I laughed through the rest of the movie, while the other two had facial expressions ranging from disgust to complete surprise(and not in a good way.)

The movie ends, the villain dies, Lucas squeezes in his crappy love story (the same one used in every movie of his), and the fedora is passed on to a new generation, wait, nevermind.  Indy leaves the last scene with the fedora on his head, and credits roll.

The first thing that comes to all of our minds as we leave is "MY CHILDHOOD!  RUINED!"  and "LUCASSSSSSSSSSSSSS!"

Yes, I will most likely buy this movie on DVD, I will go see Indy 5, if it comes out, but I won't shell out 10 bucks to sit though the movie in a thearter again.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2008, 12:19 »

I was pretty disappointed with the raping of my childhood yeah. Like Emaline, I went to a midnight showing (really just because that was the only time me and my brother could go with my sister, who is moving down to Texas again). It wasn't worth it. At all. Oh god. The sad thing is, Harrison Ford was pretty good in my opinion, everyone else sucked balls, an you can only do so much with a shitty script, and lines like "How could I have ever doubted you my old friend," inundated the film. I wanted to throw rotting lettuce at the screen and call for an execution. Lucas, you are on my list.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2008, 14:28 »

Aaaaah. You guys are ruining my Saturday night plans... --Double Feature Indiana/Ironman at the local drive-in. Don't tell me one of the movies sucks the day after its out in theatres! Ah well, maybe the fact that it is the drive-in will make it better. That always makes the night better, even if the movie does suck.

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #31 on: 23 May 2008, 14:36 »

Slight spoilers.

I thought the movie was actually pretty good. Maybe because I was predicting it to be about aliens for the past year or so, so the ending really didn't bother me. Mutt was actually a decent enough character, he didn't really hurt scenes that much, I thought. Most of the action sequences were really good, in my opinion, as well, especially the motorcycle chase through the college and the chase through the jungle.

I will also say that I think it's ridiculous to complain about your childhood being raped. The first three movies still exist, and this movie isn't any worse than Temple of Doom (which is still an entertaining movie.) Everybody just needs to calm down and remember that they can't demand too much out of their movies or else they're going to hate it even more, in my opinion.

Edit: Also, PQ4, I wouldn't worry about your drive-in plans. Iron Man was a great movie and the new Jones isn't as terrible as fans make it out to be (most of the critical response I've seen is not outright negative, just not ecstatic). Just don't expect your dreams to come true and Indy to come driving through the screen and personally present his fedora and whip to you and you should be alright.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2008, 14:40 by JediBendu »

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #32 on: 23 May 2008, 14:56 »

Sooooooo... this movie is not worth dropping ten bucks on?
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #33 on: 23 May 2008, 15:03 »

I'm not going to tell you you're going to love the movie cause it's a genuinely great movie that I think everyone with good taste will love. But I will say that I think the highly negative response from fans is somewhat unreliable. I would say the more trustworthy response is the "meh, it was decent and entertaining."

It's about as good as Rocky Balboa is when compared to Rocky and as Live Free and Die Hard is when compared to Die Hard. Not great like the originals, but people who aren't overly emotionally invested tend to enjoy them well enough.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #34 on: 23 May 2008, 15:42 »

Having just seen this and as one of the few people on here who is actually old enough to have seen the original in the theater (seriously, what's with someone who is 20 saying their childhood was raped when 20 years ago is when the last movie of the trilogy was in theaters?) I feel like I should give my opinion.

It's good.  The whole cast is good.  Cate Blanchett is much better than the nerd rage backlash is saying.  Shia LeWhatsisface is just fine.

Most reviews I've read say that the film opens with nonstop action and then slows down.  I must have seen a different film because the opening action sequence felt like about 15 minutes long and wasn't really astounding.  For me the movie didn't really engage me until around the halfway point.

I liked the ending just fine.  I don't see how it's much of a disappointment, if anything it's almost too similar to the way the other films ended.

The returning characters from the first film (I guess one of them is supposed to be a surprise so I won't mention either by name) were good.  One of them entertained me greatly, one of them showed up and did their job.

All that said, it wasn't good enough to prevent me from sneaking into a second viewing of Iron Man after I left in order to feel like I'd gotten my money's worth of entertainment.

However, having re-watched the original Raiders a few days ago, I think people are cutting that movie a bit of rose-colored nostalgia slack, because I had forgotten how utterly boring a big chunk of that film actually is (after the nth viewing, of course, the first 10 or so times I saw it as a kid were still amazing).

And I do find it puzzling that this was the best script they could come up with after countless re-writes.  Some of the lines are just kind of mediocre.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

ThePQ4

« Reply #35 on: 23 May 2008, 22:04 »

Sooooooo... this movie is not worth dropping ten bucks on?

...Honey, no movie is worth dropping 10 bucks on unless your buying it. Seriously, some people pay craaaazy prices at movie theaters. Even the night-shows here are only like $8. Afternoon shows are only $5.50 and have been for -years-.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #36 on: 23 May 2008, 22:47 »

$2

The only benefit to living in this tiny little town.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #37 on: 23 May 2008, 22:52 »

Having just seen this and as one of the few people on here who is actually old enough to have seen the original in the theater (seriously, what's with someone who is 20 saying their childhood was raped when 20 years ago is when the last movie of the trilogy was in theaters?) I feel like I should give my opinion.

I watched the movies as a kid, thus they are part of my childhood. I've also watched the original three movies over the past few days before this and I still say The Last Crusade is one of the best films of all time. I think my main problem with this movie is that it just didn't have that sense of awe and mystery that the other movies had.

Possible spoilers:

There wasn't enough history, or mystery to it. It lacked that touch that the other movies had of secret societies of grail defenders or Shiva worshipping cultists. It was too easy to figure out. Everything popped into their heads without much of a struggle and the information was just handed to the audience. It made me feel like they thought I was dumb, to be honest.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #38 on: 23 May 2008, 23:26 »

I paid $9 for my midnight showing. And then all together the three of us spent $17 on popcorn and drinks.

But since somebody already said it, I am going to repeat my main concern with the movie. But if you've only been skimming and didn't read the whole thread SKIP THIS POST. FUCKING SPOILERS.

Fucking aliens. What the fuck???? Why? Why? Why? Why were there fucking aliens in my fucking Indiana Jones move? Why???? Somebody explain this to me. Please. Something slightly more believable would have been preferred. I mean, what the fuck?? It's like they worked on the movie for a while, and then realized they had to write, and film the ending in two weeks,and did the first bullshit they could come up with. Absolutely fucking horrid. Fucking aliens.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #39 on: 24 May 2008, 00:02 »

Something slightly more believable would have been preferred. I mean, what the fuck??

So, something like...finding the Ark of the Covenant, which sends out spirits to kill all the people who look at it? Surviving a 300 ft drop in a rubber dingy? Pulling out a man's still beating heat without killing him or leaving a mark on his chest? Voodoo dolls? The Holy Grail? Immortality? Invisible bridges? Discovering Atlantis and being transformed into a god? Having your hapless sidekick transformed into a giant bad creature?

Your main problem with the ending of the movie being a tad too removed from reality is pretty hilarious. The previous movies all but confirmed the existence of a biblical God for crying out loud.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #40 on: 24 May 2008, 00:08 »

Slightly more believable? The first movie had The Ark of the Covenant and the third one had the Holy Grail!

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #41 on: 24 May 2008, 00:10 »

goddamn you and your agile typing, darryl

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #42 on: 24 May 2008, 01:55 »

I mean, what the fuck?? It's like they worked on the movie for a while, and then realized they had to write, and film the ending in two weeks,and did the first bullshit they could come up with. Absolutely fucking horrid. Fucking aliens.

Well they pretty much hinted at the possibility of the film being about aliens since the very beginning (Y'know, when they were pulling into Area 51 RIGHT AFTER the credits?) And people were speculating about the film being about aliens since very early buzz on the movie. Hell, I think it's safe to say most people who were keeping up with the movie were EXPECTING it to be about aliens (They even hinted in the friggin' trailer with the shot of the Roswell, New Mexico label on the magnetic box.) Early versions of the script outright declared in the title that they were about Martians and aliens. Even just thinking about the fact it took place in the late 50s during the Cold War and not long before the space race should've given you a hint.

I mean, seriously, you should've seen it coming.

And I second what both Sox and E. Spaceman have said.

Jesus Christ

« Reply #43 on: 24 May 2008, 02:53 »

Wouldn't it be a bit weird of Luke Skywalker suddenly accepted Christ as his lord and Saviour towards the end of return of the jedi?
Not really, no. We cover the entire universe.

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #44 on: 24 May 2008, 03:21 »

I understand Emaline's anger. Wouldn't it be a bit weird of Luke Skywalker suddenly accepted Christ as his lord and Saviour towards the end of return of the jedi?

Not comparable because the concept of Christianity doesn't exist in the Star Wars universe. There is religion and faith in Star Wars, just not Christian religion. Now see, the concept of aliens and UFOs does exist in the real world, the world that Indiana Jones is extremely close to existing in. The concept of the film's plot is grounded to the real world by real events like the Roswell incident and UFO sightings. Just like the historical and biblical based plots of the previous films. As far as I'm concerned expanding on Roswell and UFO paranoia in the 20th century is as much historical fantasy as searching for and finding the Holy Grail or the Ark of the Covenant.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2008, 03:23 by JediBendu »

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #45 on: 24 May 2008, 04:20 »

I'm not really saying anything about the previous films, just that the fictional universe in Star Wars has nothing to do with this one and Christianity does not exist there, but Indiana Jones are films that exist by and large in our own world, where UFOs have been sighted and people believe in extraterrestials just like they believe in the Bible. So I really can't say the comparison is entirely valid, as a matter of fact I'd go out on a limb and say it really boils down to hyperbole.

No offense, of course, and if you just don't like the direction of the film, then that's your own problem. But I don't think realism is the issue at all. Just tone, for some people at least.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #46 on: 24 May 2008, 06:48 »

I know that all the Indy movies are pretty far fetched. That is why I said SLIGHTLY. Stuff about Jesus is a little bit more believable than fucking aliens.

Anyways has hit the nail on the head though.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #47 on: 24 May 2008, 09:11 »

The aliens didn't bother me at all.  Especially since they're in the movie for about 10 minutes.  The way the movie dealt with everything still meshed with the previous movies' tone, I felt.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #48 on: 24 May 2008, 10:01 »

I was supposed to see this with friends, but then I discovered I was broke, so I didn't go. After hearing what my friends said about it, I will not be seeing this until it's on video. I'm not wasting $10-15 to see it in theaters from what I've heard from not only my friends but here as well. I think I can wait...

Ikrik

« Reply #49 on: 24 May 2008, 12:12 »

I've heard a bunch of really bad stuff concerning this film....so I might stay away unless someone pays for me.  I've heard that it's disappointing in the same way that the Phantom Menace was....which is completely understandable.  Also I hate LeBouf so I'll wait probably just wait for the rental.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up