THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JONES!!!!  (Read 25726 times)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
Re: JONES!!!!
« Reply #50 on: 24 May 2008, 13:46 »

Whoah now.  It is nowhere even remotely nearly as disappointing as Phantom Menace was.  Not even in the ballpark.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #51 on: 24 May 2008, 13:52 »

I saw it with my wife on Thursday (which was also our 9th anniversary).  We were both disappointed, mainly because they could have done more.

Several things were good:  Harrison Ford still has it, and is the reason that the movie was as good as it was;
Cate Blanchett looks good with the pageboy haircut and the pseudo soviet form fitting outfit;
The sword fight between Cate and Shia was well done (both of them look like they've had some training)

Several things were not:

Mac, what was the point of this character;
The relationship between Indy and Mutt could be seen coming a mile away, at night, during a snowstorm (you get the idea);
The ending was unsatisfying.

This isn't the worst in the series though, that "honour" still belongs to Temple of Doom.

BR and the wife rate the series in the following way:

1.  Last Crusade
2.  Raiders of the Lost Ark;
3.  Kingdom of the Crystal Skull; and
4.  Temple of Doom.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #52 on: 24 May 2008, 13:59 »

In context with the previous movies, this movie sucked hard. Too much CGI and did we really need Indy's son? Even the monkeys weren't real.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #53 on: 24 May 2008, 16:52 »

Well, in the context of the movies its been 20 years since the end of the Last Crusade, expecting him to have remained static is unrealistic.

In the thirties we had adventure serials with fanastical adventures with a semi-historical basis, but when we got to the fifties the most popular serials were science fiction ones.  Both Spielberg and Lucas were inspired by these serials, and switching to the type most prevalent in that era makes sense.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #54 on: 24 May 2008, 21:17 »

And that was their intention anyway.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #55 on: 25 May 2008, 02:55 »

To be fair, Indy still did "old stuff" in this movie too. The "old stuff" just happened to have an extra terrestrial origin.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #56 on: 25 May 2008, 08:00 »

The "old stuff" just happened to have an extra terrestrial origin.

"Extra-dimensional, in point of fact..."

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #57 on: 25 May 2008, 15:08 »

FUCKING SPOILER POST (Which is what a lot of the posts above me should say by the way)

I'm not really sure I'm pissed about the idea of alien conspiracies and roswell and stuff in the movie, but did they have to show the Alien? In full obvious 3D rendered glory? I think that's the part that didn't fit within the Indiana universe the most in my opinion, 3D graphics of giant transdimensional aliens and their fucking spaceships! Imagine all of a sudden the Muppets fully rendered in 3D, and you see how wrong this is. The highest level of animation in a previous Indiana Jones movie are the spirits that rise out of the ark of the covenant. If they had taken out the scene where the crystal skeletons turn into the 3D alien, and even left in the goddamn spaceship, I think it may have worked better.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #58 on: 25 May 2008, 15:40 »

Yeah I mean imagine if they had like actually shown the Holy Grail and this like 2,000 year old dude actually fucking guarding it and shit.

Fuck.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #59 on: 25 May 2008, 15:51 »

That's not what he's saying, he's saying the alien looked lame. A man in a suit would probably have made the movie much much better. Most complaints seem to be about the CGI used in the movie. I blame George Lucas. Spielberg does CGI very well when left to his own devices.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #60 on: 25 May 2008, 18:32 »

Man, fuck all y'all I thought it was good for an action movie.  The Indiana Jones series has always been "things exploding" movies.  You don't go to a "things exploding" movie and expect realism at all.  Here are things in this movie that I took issue with:

- Cate Blanchett's dodgy, wavering accent
- the fucking fridge thing
- Karen Allen's awful, phoned-in "let's do her a favour because she was ok in the first movie" performance
- the monkeys thing
- a few of the action shots were pretty dumb

All that said, go back and watch the original Indiana Jones movies.  They were fucking ridiculous.  This is probably the weakest of the series, but it was still a lot of fun to watch, which was all these movies were ever supposed to be.

Btw, only having Transformers as a reference I went into the theatre expecting to hate Shia's character, but I think that they did a really good job on his introduction and development.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #61 on: 25 May 2008, 18:58 »

It's true, we haven't even brought up the monkeys thing. Est, you're right, for an action movie the entire film wasn't bad, it had more or less pretty much non-stop action. I almost wished for a few more rests from that action actually, I think the pacing would have felt better if there were a couple more spots for dialogue, good places to add the air of mystery to the movie that I feel it lacked.

And actually zerodrone, I was thinking more along the lines of making parallels between the aliens and the Judeo-Christian God. The other three movies show powerful artifacts supposedly made by God, (or in the Temple of Doom, Shiva) and a knight who for some reason had lived an incredibly long life thanks to the power of that God. I think it would have been more effective for a spaceship to take off being powered seemingly by a circle of 13 skeletons, rather than them turning into one "living" one that gave Cate Blanchett a mean look before setting her on fire. If she had been destroyed just by the knowledge of looking into the skull of a transdimensional being it would have been better. I think it was really just the terrible CGI of the alien that got me the most, maybe the monkeys. The other parts that relied heavily on it, like the space-ship (non-living things are just easier to pull off) and the giant ants swarm, weren't that bad.

Also, notice how I've said nothing about the believability of the movie, most people here know my stance on Christianity and God and what I think of their believability. The first three movies were just better with integrating the more fantastic elements into a good story.

Also Also, with all this said and done I was entertained at the theatre (mostly) while watching the movie. I got to sit near my sister and brother and annoy them by correctly predicting plot turns and point out stuff that I noticed like I usually do at most movies. I drank Mr. Pibb and ate skittles, it was a good night. And when all's said and done I'll forget about this movie when the next big thing comes out, say The remake of The Incredible Hulk and The Dark Night come out later this summer, along with whatever other blockbusters that hit theaters.

Edit: And he's not 2,000 years old, that's how old the grail is. He's from one of the Crusades, so only a few hundred years old, duh. [/nerdiness]

**When the hell did we get the delete button?
« Last Edit: 25 May 2008, 19:02 by Boro_Bandito »
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #62 on: 25 May 2008, 19:32 »

Haha, I fixed that a while back after seeing Joe complaining about it.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #63 on: 25 May 2008, 19:35 »

well it just helped. I actually quoted my own post on accident first instead of modifying it. Now there isn't any annoying extra posts in between the real meat of the discussion.... oh wait shit.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #64 on: 25 May 2008, 20:39 »

I was okay with the movie.  Wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst to me.

I admit though, at the end with the flying saucer I turned to my friend and said, "What the fuck Lucas, what the fuck"

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #65 on: 25 May 2008, 21:45 »

..................There's a flying saucer?  Christ.  Now I really am going to avoid this movie....like the plague.

God I think I hate George Lucas.  I think I'm going to download and watch THX 1138.....because that could possibly be the only good film that he's done.....plus it has the advantage of not being raped by updated cg and added scenes.

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #66 on: 26 May 2008, 01:28 »

American Graffiti says hello.

I'm just going to say people complain about Lucas way too much. My instinct is he didn't have nearly as much to do with this movie as people want to blame him for. Everybody needs to realize he directed, wrote, and produced the three prequels. And if there's anything that they proved it's that he serves best in the producer role (What he did for Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi and the Jones movies and many movies in the 20 or so years he didn't direct at all.)

He did not write or direct this movie, the Lucas bashing is bearable for the prequels, but in this case it's pretty grating. Get over it and boycott Lucasfilm movies if you think he taints everything he touches.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #67 on: 26 May 2008, 03:15 »

Lucas had a much bigger part in the making of this movie than jut a production role. He and Spielberg worked together very closely, trading off ideas constantly. Name one Spielberg movie other than this one which had bad CGI comparable to the star wars prequels. To my knowledge, there isn't one.

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
« Reply #68 on: 26 May 2008, 03:38 »

Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the Crystal Skulls (phew) suffers from the same problems as that the previous George Lucas movies (ie. the new Star Wars Trilogy.). Far too much relianace on special effects and far too many drawn out and cheesy action sequences of which half way through you are sitting there thinking "will it never end???".

The dialouge is also very ropey on occasion, as well as the acting. Not so much from Harrison but more from the supporting cast. And the sheer amount of silly escape sequences. I mean how many times can a group of people be captured and threatened with death, only to then escape, only to be re-captured and threatened with death, etc etc etc.....

I found the movie dull, and the storiyline a little stupid. Yes the Indiana Jones movies of the past had an element of the supernatural and mystical about them, but this current storyline I felt just took it a little too far.

Had to go and see it of course as it's an Indiana Jones movie, but I do feel that Lucas has lost his touch (or after Attack of the Clone he already had). Too many chase scenes and silly action scenes and not enough on the story and characters. A big disappointment for me I'm afraid.
She looked me over and I guess she thought I was all right...
All right in a sort of a limited way for an off night.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #69 on: 26 May 2008, 03:41 »

Oh also, can we please stop with the liberal use of the word "rape/raped" when referring to someone doing something you don't like to a movie?  It's got less to do with me objecting to you using the actual word in this fashion and more to do with people resorting to stupid, cliched, outlandish statements to explain their distaste for something.  Learn to explain your displeasure in a less hyperbolic fashion and maybe I won't disregard your opinion wholesale from now on.

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #70 on: 26 May 2008, 04:22 »

Lucas had a much bigger part in the making of this movie than jut a production role. He and Spielberg worked together very closely, trading off ideas constantly. Name one Spielberg movie other than this one which had bad CGI comparable to the star wars prequels. To my knowledge, there isn't one.

I'd be extremely surprised if bad CGI is caused by George Lucas. I doubt any of Lucas's ideas and notes ever included "Make sure the CGI is really bad and looks like the prequel trilogy."

It's ridiculous to assume that George Lucas deserves such derision because of special effects that you don't like. The man's a producer, not a special effects artist. It's more to do with ILM, who used to be the leading effects studio, but by now they've definitely fallen behind studios like WETA Digital. And Spielberg was the one who decided where and how to shoot the movie, to my knowledge. I know for sure Spielberg was behind the decision to not shoot any of the movie outside of the US.

And while we're at it, as far as the script and plot as a whole goes. The various versions of the script were not written by George Lucas at any point (though the main plot device and the switch to a more 50s sci-fi serial feel was originally his idea, and I maintain it's not a bad idea), and all three of the principals (Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford) all had to be in agreement upon the final script before the production started.

I'm not saying Lucas is as good a filmmaker as he was in the 70s, because he's not, but the things that are wrong with this movie are not all his fault, and Lucas bashing is just getting ridiculous lately.

Edit: Everyone just seems to want to believe that Lucas's overbearing influence completely took over Spielberg and made him make a bad movie. Like somehow the evil Lucas mind-controlled Spielberg into making a movie you don't like. I really can't understand the logic, it just seems like the Lucasfilm logo is a catalyst for nerd rage.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2008, 23:13 by JediBendu »

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #71 on: 26 May 2008, 21:50 »

I would imagine Lucas is such an easy target because, while this film is "good" by Hollywood standards, it's easily one of the worst movies Spielberg has directed, especially in the past 20 years.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #72 on: 27 May 2008, 02:54 »

I saw this yesterday and I was pretty disappointed. Honestly the film just didn't have the same spirit of the first films. To be fair I wasn't crash hot on the original trilogy, I really only enjoyed Last Crusade and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull just didn't live upto it. I found that Indiana Jones, while stubborn and belligerant in the previous films, totally gave the Russians all the information they asked for as soon as they said boo. Shia LaBeouf was actually pretty good and I really enjoyed the fight in the milkbar but I still don't think he can hold a film by himself (especially after Transformers but I guess we'll see after Eagle Eye). Cate Blanchett I can't stand in any film ever and Karen Allen is honestly a terrible actor. She ended up killing the whole film for me because every time she appeared in a scene I went mad with rage. 
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #73 on: 27 May 2008, 11:44 »

Yeah, Karen Allen was kind of awful.  Makes no sense, she was great in Raiders.

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #74 on: 27 May 2008, 12:26 »

She just seemed terribly out of practice, like she essentially hasn't done anything in the past good many years. She's probably started a family and hasn't done any acting jobs in a long while. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, I would look up her filmography, but eh.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #75 on: 27 May 2008, 12:33 »

Pretty much, yeah. She's done Law and Order and apparently played the mom in The Sandlot. That's about all she's done that people would recognize since Raiders.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #76 on: 27 May 2008, 18:31 »

Yeah, Karen Allen was kind of awful.  Makes no sense, she was great in Raiders.

No she wasn't. She killed that movie for me too.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #77 on: 27 May 2008, 19:04 »

For some reason I don't mind her so much, maybe there were so many other gaping flaws in the movie that her part didn't seem so bad. Of course, I don't mind her in Raiders either.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #78 on: 27 May 2008, 20:36 »

singeivoire

« Reply #79 on: 28 May 2008, 09:48 »

Blah - there will probably be spoilers. You are forewarned.

As for Karen Allen: She may not be the most amazing actress, but she was my favorite of the original "Indy Girls". I was honestly glad to see her back as opposed to the alternatives.

As for the interdimensional beings (a.k.a. aliens): Yeah, they bugged me too. Mostly because the whole idea of aliens doesn't hold the historical gravitas of THE ARK OF THE COVENANT or THE HOLY GRAIL or HUMAN SACRAFICE. Sure, the movie had EL DORADO, but that idea took backseat to the aliens, which just feels like too modern a concept. Whether it is or not is debatable, but it felt wrong. It felt more The Mummy or Tomb Raider than it did Indiana Jones.

That said, throughout the entire movie, my hands were clasped in front of me and an expression of utter delight was on my face. This movie was just plain enjoyable. It's not the kind of movie you scrutinize for quality, it's the kind of movie you watch as a twelve year old and it forever shifts your idea of what adventure is. It's a B movie, and it's proud of it.

it was still a lot of fun to watch, which was all these movies were ever supposed to be.

hear hear.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #80 on: 29 May 2008, 07:09 »

I note that about ninety percent of the complaints here essentially boil down to "ableeblabloo my childhood waaaaah not my indiana jones *sniffle*"

Seriously, people, it's taking everything I have to not be TOO harsh, but sack the fuck up. Times change, things change. You can't have thirties conventions in a movie taking place in the sixties. For years now, they've been saying they were going to go with more sci-fi conventions than the old pulp ideas because that was what was prevalent to the age this film took place in.

Yes, the villain's accent was atrocious. Fair point.

Yes, there were some rather groan inducing points, like the monkey swing scene and the wedding scene (Which is no worse, to me, than the mine car scene from Temple of Doom).

Yes, there was some cheesy dialogue (About half of Marcus Brodie's dialogue).

Yes, some shit was pretty drastically unbelievable (As said, no worse than some of the utterly fucked up stuff the prior movies have done).

But you know what? These are primarily things that apply just as bad, if not worse, to the originals. The movies have ALWAYS had cheesy dialogue and ridiculous moments that would've made us all groan had we not been watching these movies since some of us were fucking toddlers.

I basically agree with the last sentiment of singeivoire's post. Why in the fuck are you people going into an Indiana Jones movie with an analytical mind?

Woopdy do, there were aliens. Bluntly speaking, and I'm no conspiracy nut, I am MUCH more heavily inclined to believe that maybe an advanced alien race could've given a surprisingly advanced ancient civilization a helping hand than to believe that there's some omnipotent, yet unknowable being controlling history.

Yeah, Jones deals heavily with history and legend, but guess what? El Dorado is history and legend. The Mayans are a great historical society. The Roswell Incident is a modern peace of historical legend.

Overall, I enjoyed it. The fact I'm 24 and watching a movie whose last installment was released when I was 5, I didn't expect it to have stagnated for 19 years. Some of you are too young to remember and understand the real wait between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace. I watched the original trilogy in 1987, when I was three. Twelve years later, sixteen for those who saw it originally, they were greeted with Phantom Menace (Which, while not a good movie, is not as atrocious as people like to say, in my view). This movie was an even longer wait and many of you were around for the last movie. There was no feasible way for it to live up to elevated expectations. Also taking into account it was much better than Phantom Menace was, I'd call it a success.

Overall, it wasn't the greatest movie of all time, but it was a good action flick in the vein of the prior films in the series. My only legitimate grievance was something no one had control over: how much Harrison Ford really has aged. He's one of my all time favorite actors and having grown up on his work in Star Wars and Indiana Jones to finally look at him and think "This guy is essentially done with movies after this" was rather heart wrenching.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #81 on: 29 May 2008, 10:57 »

Amen brother, testify.

I was entertained, my wife was entertained.  We had an enjoyable anniversary afternoon.  The movie served its purpose - which was to entertain us and make us forget the outside world until the credits rolled.

Besides, I got to see the trailer for Passchendaele, which despite the attached love story looks like its going to be a "kick ass and take no prisoners" war movie.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #82 on: 29 May 2008, 11:11 »

Man, I got Kung Fu Panda and that animated Star Wars flick (Which I do not like the look of). I got hosed.
JON MADE ME GAY

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #83 on: 29 May 2008, 11:59 »

I really don't much care about how this movie affects the Indiana Jones legacy. It was a boring movie. The one-liners fell flat ("I Like Ike"? Really? What does that even mean in context?) the characters were all anemic and the action scenes were devoid of tension, just like in, yes, The Phantom Menace. 2 weeks from now the only things about the movie I remember will be the nuclear explosion and the final liftoff, because they were the coolest looking parts of the film.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #84 on: 29 May 2008, 12:35 »

In reference to the "I like Ike" remark, he was patronizing the FBI guys. They accused him of being a Communist, so he remarked with a US propaganda slogan.

I dunno, I found it pretty obvious...
JON MADE ME GAY

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #85 on: 29 May 2008, 12:44 »

I don't think he said that to the FBI dudes, he said that when the Russians asked if he had any last words, before he bolted.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #86 on: 29 May 2008, 12:54 »

same deal.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #87 on: 29 May 2008, 13:03 »

i wasn't really going planning on seeing this in theaters but having accidentally read a butt-load of spoilers and opinions in this thread, i'm definitely going to go see it.

hell, i might go today if i can find a date.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #88 on: 02 Jun 2008, 17:17 »

I took the oldest to see it last night (he's 8) because he needed a break from his brothers and he really liked the two he's seen.  He was fine with the movie - except for the kissing at the very end.

And I liked it more the second time. 

SailorPunk

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www.xanga.com/moonrose
« Reply #89 on: 03 Jun 2008, 11:56 »

i loved it (for the most part)

there were very few people in the theatre so i didn't feel so bad when i involuntarily said (kinda loudly) "fucking spielburg and his aliens!!!" when they actually showed the damn extra-dimensional being.

other than that, i loved it.....even the monkeys.

fucking spielburg.
...really polite and kind of squishy...

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #90 on: 03 Jun 2008, 13:16 »

"Knowledge was their treasure."

You hear that? That was me cracking up in the seat behind you.

I'd say it was a very entertaining movie, peppered with absolutely god-awful cinematic moments. The old movies, in my opinion, managed to keep the kitzchy panache flowing; they eased you into the suspension of disbelief and then kept you there. I don't think this one succeeded quite as well at that, so people are less forgiving. That gunpowder shit at the beginning was below any levels of acceptable shtick. I kinda felt offended at the CG they used to justify it. Maybe if they had come up with something a little more tasteful, I could have enjoyed the refrigerator part a little more--and so on, and so forth. That said, there were some really good moments to it: the swordfight was a great idea and fairly well executed; and the ants were an awesome way to provide the requisite gruesome-death-after-a-fistfight sequence.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #91 on: 03 Jun 2008, 18:32 »

(he's 8)

I read that as he's cool, but now that I've quoted you I realize you meant he's eight. Moving along.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #92 on: 04 Jun 2008, 04:18 »

(he's 8)

I read that as he's cool, but now that I've quoted you I realize you meant he's eight. Moving along.

I'm allowed to say that he's cool.  Just not in front of any of his peer group.  (Moms and Dads are apparently not allowed to pass that sort of judgement - and having been in his shoes at one point, I sort of understand..)

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #93 on: 06 Jun 2008, 21:44 »

Its forever the parent stigma, I feel for you.

Ikrik

« Reply #94 on: 07 Jun 2008, 20:58 »

I just saw this movie today and I went in with the absolute lowest expectations ever.  I can happily say that this film was incredibly enjoyable.  It's not going to win any academy awards or anything like that but it was a fun popcorn film.  I even got to turn around partway through the movie and tell two annoying kids to shut up which always makes me feel good.  The whole aliens thing felt like a stretch at first until I realized that this is Indiana Jones, we've already seen the holy grail in action.

However there was one scene that bugged the living hell out of me.  The first scene in Area 51 with the super-magnetic thingie.  Whoever thought of that stupid idea deserves to be slapped in the face.  The thing can attract gunpowder from a mile away and yet guns that are a meter away are practically unaffected?  THAT is stupid.  It can pull the lights from a ceiling 20 meters up and yet the cars aren't sliding towards it or anything.  Eugh.

But that aside the movie was incredibly.....fun.  It's too bad that Ford is getting way too old to keep doing stuff like this, some of those fight scenes were pretty unconvincing.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #95 on: 07 Jun 2008, 23:38 »

Irkik, when you go into watch a movie, you wilfully suspend your disbelief.

That said, I went and saw this with my older sister and we enjoyed it immensely. I was very grateful that they didn't have running "old-man" gags throughout the film and the aliens weren't too ridiculous, they were just tall grey humanoids. LeBeouf was actually pretty good and some of Ford's really flat lines were delivered in perfect b-movie caricature.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #96 on: 08 Jun 2008, 22:58 »

I just saw it today as an escape from the sweltering heat. For the most part, I liked it a lot. I was surprised by this but I though it was really fun and enjoyable. This isn't high cinema, people, but it never set out to be. I think it captures the feel of the original three fairly well. I hate to admit it but Shia LeBeouf was quite good and Harrison Ford was bad-ass, gruff, and awesome as ever. I thought Marian was kind of useless as a character and was more of a reference to the earlier movies than anything. I also think the whole alien thing at the end was unnecessary. At that point, I wasn't enjoying the movie. Everything before that was pretty great. The fight scenes were ridiculous as always in Indiana Jones films and the action was consistently campy yet intense. I noticed at the end that there was an obvious toying with the idea of LeBeouf taking over, perhaps as the protagonist in a fifth film/spin-off. I know Lucas has also mentioned this is possible. I think the end of the film also playfully rejected that idea, however. I truly hope this never happens. This one did a good job of reviving the franchise for one final, fun hoorah. Now it needs to sink back into pleasant nostalgia where it belongs.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #97 on: 09 Jun 2008, 08:08 »

As I understand it: Ford is under contract to make the fifth and final one, and LaBeouf is signed for the three spinoffs.  I'm not sure if that's good news or bad
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #98 on: 09 Jun 2008, 08:58 »

It's bad news. Very, very bad.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

MusicScribbles

• John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #99 on: 09 Jun 2008, 09:03 »

This movie would have been the perfect ending to the series as far as I'm concerned. From here what can they do to the series? I mean, isn't aliens a final step? Or will Dr. Jones be taking a tour of the lost city of Atlantis?
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up