THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When discussions ATTACK!  (Read 4551 times)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
When discussions ATTACK!
« on: 15 Feb 2008, 06:58 »

Don't want to derail other threads any further so I'm posting a new thread.

I believe the point in a discussion forum is to discuss these issues when they arise. It's up to the mods whether or not we should split this into two separate threads, one for sympathies and the other for discussion of gun control laws, but what would that accomplish, besides making the discussion harder to follow?

funny you should mention that

Quote from: the forum rules
RELIGION AND POLITICS:

Threads about religion & politics are undesireable in this forum because they are two topics that make Jeph angry/set off his depression. He has specifically asked us to kill these kinds of topics, especially if they are veering into argumentative or "DOOOOM!" modes.

If you would like to talk about these topics then I am sure that there are plenty of other places you can do it. There are many fine political and religious sites around, some of which are sure to have forums almost guaranteed to be politics/religion friendly.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
Re: When discussions ATTACK!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2008, 07:08 »

My apologies if I was coming across as argumentative, try reading my post with a friendlier sounding voice? In the past week I've seen political discussions carried out here rather successfully. I didn't expect to see the other thread turn out to be all that different, as long as people stayed logical and rational. This thread is calling the forum rules about religion and politics into question. As evidenced, we're capable of having a civilised discussion. Is it really necessary to kill a topic before it has a chance to get off the ground?

This forum is the most civilised forum I've seen. Whether this is the cause or effect of people seemingly being afraid to step on eachothers toes, I'm not sure, but it sure would be nice to have these sort of debates with sensible communities such as this one, for a change. 

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2008, 08:04 »

Yeah, that's what Gabbly is for.

And I concur, strong boarding.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2008, 08:26 »

Discussion is inappropriate in a post-9/11 world!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2008, 08:48 »

My apologies if I was coming across as argumentative, try reading my post with a friendlier sounding voice?
I wasn't singling you out for being argumentative, nor do I perceive an unfriendly tone in your post(s). Indeed, I was only quoting your post because your statement was a good encapsulation of the general point I wished to respond to. If I could I would have quoted like a dozen people collectively, but that wouldn't be particularly effective.

As for the discussions people have been having, well I'll write a fuller post when I have time later. Darn work getting in the way of internetting!

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2008, 08:51 »

You should quit. I'm sure you're better at the internet that you are at your job.

öde

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2008, 08:53 »

Was that a burn?

It kinda sounds like a burn.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2008, 08:55 »

It was a compliment! Stop trying to create a fight.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2008, 08:59 »

lol that was actually a good example of what I wanted to post about later, how no matter what your intentions are or how civil you write, it'll be interpreted as an attack and then tensions start to run high. It's taken me a long time to wrap my head around, but I've found that indirection is nearly always the best way to convince others of something. Directness only works when people have to listen to me because I'm the teacher.

ADDITION: Incidentally, the irony of this post is not lost on me.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2008, 09:22 by jhocking »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2008, 09:25 »

And it was obviously a joke and is kind of funny.

I think the discussions that have been going on have actually been pretty good. Most of the time I'd rather read then post, as I find it hard to say what I mean sometimes, but as long as it's just a good intellectual boost and not skull bashing, I think it's good to have these kinds of threads. And if it gets pretty heavy, there are other ways to discuss it, such as Gabbly (when it decides to work), PMs, or other forums that revolve around these kinds of things.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2008, 09:42 »

The 'other forums' suggestion makes no sense at all to me. As stated, I've seen seen a more tightly knit community of civilised personalities that this one right here. Taking one of the current active discussions to another forum is begging for a flame war. As for the gabbly suggestion, I'll see how that rolls once it's working again. Do you have these sort of discussions on gabbly often? Or is it an 'anything casual goes' sort of place?

öde

« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2008, 09:47 »

Gabbly is mostly where we tell Jon how crap he is. Gabbly is pretty much anything goes!

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2008, 09:49 »

Gabbly is mostly where we tell Jon how jealous of him we are. Gabbly is pretty much anything goes!
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2008, 09:49 »

It's a whatever happens to be talked about kind of place. We've talked politics in there before. And I don't think any of us mean carrying it over to another forum to begin a flame war, but taking it to a place that is interested in this kind of thing and has no rules against getting too in depth about it would be better, because you can get more people who want to talk about and read these kinds of topics. Like, if you're gung ho over one candidate and hate others, it won't get far here, but if you're on a political forum where this kind of discussion is encouraged, than the latter is the better choice for that particular discussion.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2008, 11:07 »

The 'other forums' suggestion makes no sense at all to me. As stated, I've seen seen a more tightly knit community of civilised personalities that this one right here. Taking one of the current active discussions to another forum is begging for a flame war. As for the gabbly suggestion, I'll see how that rolls once it's working again. Do you have these sort of discussions on gabbly often? Or is it an 'anything casual goes' sort of place?

Gabby gets them a lot, but there are also two forums that branched from this one that deal in politics pretty heavily.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2008, 11:11 »

ADDITION: Incidentally, the irony of this post is not lost on me.
I just read the comic for today. I am an unintentional copycat!
Pages: [1]   Go Up