THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 14:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's buy all music ever!  (Read 12723 times)

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
Re: Let's buy all music ever!
« Reply #50 on: 23 Feb 2008, 14:36 »

If we are really talking about "all music ever" that would include the music that is being made right at this very second, the music that has already been made, and the music that has yet to be recorded. So you could never actually listen to all music ever because there is an infinite amount of it, and someday you will die and miss out on everything that is to come after you.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #51 on: 23 Feb 2008, 15:17 »

I'm unreasonably depressed by that fact.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #52 on: 23 Feb 2008, 16:10 »

Quote from: The Newsbox every once in a while
The QuestionableContent Forums will quantify the worth of your existence
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

BobJoeJim

« Reply #53 on: 23 Feb 2008, 16:34 »

someday you will die
Lies!  All lies!  Why are you lying to me?

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #54 on: 24 Feb 2008, 12:49 »

If we are really talking about "all music ever" that would include the music that is being made right at this very second, the music that has already been made, and the music that has yet to be recorded. So you could never actually listen to all music ever because there is an infinite amount of it, and someday you will die and miss out on everything that is to come after you.

unless of course the universe explodes, and magically you and all music that came before and finished recording was propelled out of it and survived, and then you listen to all the music ever, and then you die, and leave no music behind unheard. Then... then you will have heard all music ever. You would have to die, because then at any one point you would still possibly create more music, and thus not have heard all music ever. This of course raises the question... if music is being played, and there's no one around to hear it, is it still music? (that's actually a lot deeper sounding than it was meant to be).

Having said that, knock on wood.

anyways, what would be the point of having more than 70 years of music if you weren't going to hear it all? I have twenty days worth of music on my hard drive, and I doubt I've heard it all.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

bbqrocks

« Reply #55 on: 24 Feb 2008, 12:53 »

I used to have like 40 days, but it all got wiped, so when I started building it back up again I swore to listen to every song at least once.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #56 on: 24 Feb 2008, 13:31 »

unless of course the universe explodes, and magically you and all music that came before and finished recording was propelled out of it and survived, and then you listen to all the music ever, and then you die, and leave no music behind unheard. Then... then you will have heard all music ever. You would have to die, because then at any one point you would still possibly create more music, and thus not have heard all music ever. This of course raises the question... if music is being played, and there's no one around to hear it, is it still music? (that's actually a lot deeper sounding than it was meant to be).

Perhaps that without a mind to interpret it, it's just sound, like words in a book are just marks on paper unless someone is reading them.

Actually, that's a bit simplistic. I suppose written words are information in potentia*. So music is carrying its tune, waiting for someone to hear.

(*I wonder if I'm using that correctly?)
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

bbqrocks

« Reply #57 on: 24 Feb 2008, 13:38 »

I don't see why music can't be music if no one hears it. music is defined as 'an art form consisting of sound and silence. Elements of music are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, structure, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture.', not 'an art form consisting of sound and silence. Elements of music are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, structure, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture. BUT ONLY IF PEOPLE CAN HEAR IT'.

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #58 on: 24 Feb 2008, 13:45 »

I wasn't saying that a statue crumbles when no-one looks at it. (Also, I was wondering, not asserting.) The musical structure is still there, just as the words in book remain the same when it's closed. But do you need a receptive mind to recognise it as music?
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

bbqrocks

« Reply #59 on: 24 Feb 2008, 13:52 »

Not in my opinion, no. But how about 'if no one can hear the music, does it make a sound?' If no one is there to hear it it's just vibrations, and if it's just vibrations (not sound) then it's not 'an artform involving sound and silence', therefore it is not music. Which would, of course, answer 'if music is being played, and there's no one around to hear it, is it still music?'.

I think.  :|

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #60 on: 24 Feb 2008, 14:02 »

Sounds reasonable to me.

Also, that might answer the ancient "tree falling in a forest when no-one is around" question.

We're making major philosophical progress here!

bbqrocks

« Reply #61 on: 24 Feb 2008, 14:11 »

I knew we were doing something.

Cam

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #62 on: 24 Feb 2008, 15:00 »

The actual number really isn't worth trying to calculate because you would die before listening to all music created before today. 

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #63 on: 24 Feb 2008, 16:57 »

The only problem with the universe-ending theory is that when the universe ended you would too. Therefore, not able to listen to all the music.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #64 on: 25 Feb 2008, 06:01 »

Quote from: Everybody
PENISFART

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #65 on: 25 Feb 2008, 06:52 »

So I think you'll all agree that this forum should now put serious amounts of research and effort into finding a way for me to ascend to a higher plane of existence where I have the powers of a God, so I can listen to all music that has ever been created, ever will be created or ever might have been created, and then gift you with lightning-blasted stone tablets telling you how much it all sucks.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #66 on: 25 Feb 2008, 07:02 »

Tried suicide yet?

(sssh, nobody tell him that it won't work, I want to see if he'll do it)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #67 on: 25 Feb 2008, 08:33 »

(sssh, nobody tell him that it won't work, I want to see if he'll do it)

How would we know?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #68 on: 25 Feb 2008, 10:01 »

Patrick, when I become a god, my first miracle will be to make you pregnant with my only begotten son.

Did I mention that my only begotten son will be an elephant covered in spikes?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #69 on: 25 Feb 2008, 13:32 »

I'm having an abortion.

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #70 on: 25 Feb 2008, 13:49 »

Does that mean the miracle has happened?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #71 on: 25 Feb 2008, 14:05 »

It means I killed the child of God, therefore by some means, I am more powerful than God.

Suck it, Khar.

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #72 on: 25 Feb 2008, 14:14 »

Time to release the Saint of Killers?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up