THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 01:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Death of HD-DVD  (Read 8124 times)

Faker

• Furry furrier
The Death of HD-DVD
« on: 20 Feb 2008, 16:41 »

Looking for something to do with the soon to be redundant HD-DVD discs?

Why not use them to make a bullet-proof vest:

A South Carolina fire chief caught up in a scuffle for a gun had a close shave when a ricocheted bullet hit a DVD in his jacket pocket, saving him from a slug in the guts.

Barry McRoy, director of Colleton County's Fire and Rescue Department, had popped into Walterboro Waffle House early on Saturday morning after helping put out a house fire. At around 6am he got up to leave and, as the Charleston Post Courier explains, had just opened the door of the door of the glass lobby for another customer when two men ran inside, knocking them both against the glass.

The two men were fighting over something, but McRoy said he "never had a chance to react and never saw the gun until it discharged". He said: "I just heard the bang."

The bullet grazed the head of one of the fighting pair, "shattered a window, then ricocheted into McRoy's abdomen". He recounted: "I felt something like being hit in the stomach and assumed it was the percussion from the discharged firearm."

McRoy didn't realise his DVD had taken a hit until he put his hand in his jacket pocket and "pulled out a handful of shattered plastic" and a fragment of the bullet. He joked: "I'm sure a bullet to the stomach would have hurt."

The wounded man, a "known gang member", was subsequently charged with "two counts of assault and battery with intent to kill and other gun-related charges". His unharmed co-belligerent, who was evidently simply trying to relieve the perp of his firearm, was not charged.

And yes, we know what you're thinking: nice story, but what was the DVD? Well, for the record, it was "a gift from an employee who had recorded a TV show about fire extinguishers". It did not survive the ordeal
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
Re: The Death of HD-DVD
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2008, 16:45 »

Oh Faker, you are not having a good day, are you? We have other places for such talk as this.

Honestly though, I'm kind of shocked HD lost. I was under the impression that they were easier to manufacture and cheaper to sell and that sort of thing.

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

öde

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2008, 16:47 »

Physical media is redundant!

Nodaisho

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2008, 16:59 »

I hope that the box o' truth does something like that, see how many DVDs it would take to stop a direct shot, angled shots, etc.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2008, 16:59 »

Oh Faker, you are not having a good day, are you? We have other places for such talk as this.

Honestly though, I'm kind of shocked HD lost. I was under the impression that they were easier to manufacture and cheaper to sell and that sort of thing.

I don't really consider it a topic about movies tv shows or books though... just a silly news story I felt like sharing...
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2008, 17:02 »

I kind of appreciate it being here, I hadn't heard yet and I avoid the tv/movies forum section like the plague.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

muteKi

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2008, 17:46 »

I AM curious as to the relative cost of rewritable HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. It could also make a cheaper storage medium, a storage medium between the size of a DVD and a Blu-Ray.

Or it could just be the new Iomega Zip/

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2008, 17:47 »

Honestly, the Movies thread is about where this belongs the least. The nature of the story itself belongs in this forum, considering it's more topicless sillyness in the form of a story. Where it's going (HD vs. Blu Ray) is more fitting of the Computers and Video Games forum.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

usmcnavgeek

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Digital, baby.
    • Overdesigned
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2008, 20:32 »

As a PS3 owner, I am glad that I ended up on the winning side.  Doubly so because I own about 15 Blu-ray movies. 

Also, gunshot stopped by DVD?  What the hell was he shot with, a .22? 

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2008, 20:53 »

It was a ricochet.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2008, 21:02 »

I avoid the tv/movies forum section like the plague.

Why? It's one of the least obnoxious parts of this whole forum!

co-belligerent

New favourite term of address.

what was the DVD? Well, for the record, it was "a gift from an employee who had recorded a TV show about fire extinguishers". It did not survive the ordeal

Guys, this wasn't an accident. The T.V. networks have mandated a "shoot to kill" policy for copyright piracy! Hide all your burned discs! Delete all your downloaded files! Run for your life! RUN!!

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2008, 21:08 »

I can understand people not buying physical music much anymore, but what's the rationale for downloading DVDs online? There's not that much of a distinguishable difference between digitally downloaded music and that on CD, but the quality of a DVD--and particularly now, a Blu-Ray Disc--and what you can download online is glaring. There are some movies where it seems like the lowered visuals would destroy any point to watching the movie in the first place...
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Nodaisho

« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2008, 21:40 »

As a PS3 owner, I am glad that I ended up on the winning side.  Doubly so because I own about 15 Blu-ray movies. 

Also, gunshot stopped by DVD?  What the hell was he shot with, a .22? 
Even a .22 ought to go through that, maybe it was a .25. You know, the one that ends on the wrong side of the line that determines whether something is better or worse than harsh language.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2008, 21:43 »

I can understand people not buying physical music much anymore, but what's the rationale for downloading DVDs online? There's not that much of a distinguishable difference between digitally downloaded music and that on CD, but the quality of a DVD--and particularly now, a Blu-Ray Disc--and what you can download online is glaring. There are some movies where it seems like the lowered visuals would destroy any point to watching the movie in the first place...

If you download a pirated version from the theater, sure.

If you download a DVD rip, it's pretty much identical.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2008, 22:04 »

Ah, gotcha. My feeble mind failed to even consider that.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2008, 22:14 »

One reason I prefer physical media:

I'm less likely to have a hard drive in my jacket pocket to stop a bullet with!

Nodaisho

« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2008, 22:45 »

I dunno. Depending on what it is and where it hits, I might rather get shot than have a possession damaged. I don't think I have insurance in case of someone shooting my computer, but I do have health insurance. I would only prefer getting shot if I knew that it wasn't going to do much damage though, which, obviously, you couldn't.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2008, 08:33 »

You would rather be shot than lose your computer? damn yo

öde

« Reply #18 on: 21 Feb 2008, 08:53 »

Me too, I haven't backed up my hard drive.

muteKi

« Reply #19 on: 21 Feb 2008, 11:48 »

Yeah, it would depend on how and where and when I got shot, but the situation does exist. If it wasn't fatal or permanently debilitating, it wouldn't be horrible at all -- and I have all sorts of important personal data on here. It's like part of my mind / identity.

Sort of like the woman with no memory who writes everything down on cards so that she can reference them again someday in Boogiepop Phantom.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #20 on: 21 Feb 2008, 12:41 »

I think maybe you guys need to go through the trauma of a computer (or at least harddrive) dying a couple of times in order to desensitize yourselves to it.  If you ask me, preferring getting shot (I don't care where) to losing your computer is the sign of some sort of mental illness.  Don't get me wrong, losing data is very annoying, but we're not talking about a little cut here, we're talking about getting shot.

Also, ode back up important files right now. Even if you can't backup the entire harddrive, certainly you can get a USB memory stick and backup journal entries or email contacts or whatever it is you so desperately don't want to lose.

usmcnavgeek

• Digital, baby.
    • Overdesigned
« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2008, 14:27 »

Also, ode back up important files right now. Even if you can't backup the entire harddrive, certainly you can get a USB memory stick and backup journal entries or email contacts or whatever it is you so desperately don't want to lose.

My RAID5 and I agree.  I keep my massive photo archive backed up on two different external drives, too.

öde

« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2008, 16:03 »

It's the two weeks worth of music and 30 or so movies I'm worried about, Joe. The harddrive, and the one with my favourite OS on it (this one) died recently. Thankfully I fixed them somehow! There's some nice external drives on overclockers uk, hopefully I'll be able to afford one in a month or so.

sean

• welp
« Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2008, 16:11 »

Are you guys fucking honestly arguing that it would be better to get shot than lose your computer's HD?

You guys are insane.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #24 on: 21 Feb 2008, 16:32 »

Having lost entire hard drives several times and gone through the effort to re-establish music collections more than once, as well as record new memories and create new artwork, I can say with certainty that while losing a hard drive is annoying, it's certainly not the end of the word. That said, I'd rather back up important data to gmail than get shot in my hard drive/gut.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2008, 17:15 by Sox »

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #25 on: 21 Feb 2008, 16:35 »

oh geez, i recently had my hard drive die on me. that's a great link!

jill the ripper

« Reply #26 on: 21 Feb 2008, 16:48 »

I heard something about Wal-mart going exclusively Blu-ray (blue-ray? i don't know. Whatever.), which is actually kind of surprising.

Blu-ray is the superior format, but costs more. It's comparable to Beta. And we all knew who won in the VHS vs. Beta show down.
The one cheaper to make. But the better format that costs more is actually winning.

It's bad new for me, soon, as in the next decade my DVD player will be almost essentially useless. Just figured out to use the damned thing, too.

Granted, all the above is what my father said, so it might be a steaming pile of crap. It's from the same man who convinced me that buffaloes have wings.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #27 on: 21 Feb 2008, 17:09 »

That said, I'd rather back up important data to gmail than get shot in my hard drive/gut.
That is amazing. Unnecessary for me right now, but good to know about this option.

Nodaisho

« Reply #28 on: 21 Feb 2008, 18:56 »

Are you guys fucking honestly arguing that it would be better to get shot than lose your computer's HD?

You guys are insane.
depends on the value of the stuff on it, the value of the hardware, the bullet, and where I get shot. I would prefer to just be wearing a bulletproof vest though. If I had to get shot. I would prefer the most to not get shot at at all.

I don't think my current HD would be worth it, but if I had some really advanced, expensive one, maybe.

öde

« Reply #29 on: 22 Feb 2008, 00:56 »

Gspace, a Firefox addon for Windows, does essentially the same thing. Handy if you don't have a mac.

I need to download this when it becomes compatible with firefox 3.

öde

« Reply #30 on: 22 Feb 2008, 02:39 »

I think I know a straight person that uses Linux. I think.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

usmcnavgeek

• Digital, baby.
    • Overdesigned
« Reply #32 on: 26 Feb 2008, 13:58 »

I only experimented with Linux for like...a week, does that make me gay?

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #33 on: 26 Feb 2008, 15:25 »

In my networking course I learned how to install Linux but not use it.
What does that make me?

öde

« Reply #34 on: 26 Feb 2008, 16:17 »

'I use OSX, what does that make me?' 'A bi-curious 16-year-old girl trapped in 27 year old graphic designer's body.'

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #35 on: 26 Feb 2008, 16:28 »

In my networking course I learned how to install Linux but not use it.

A cock-tease?

Perfect.
Pages: [1]   Go Up