THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 13:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Toy Story 3  (Read 47226 times)

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
Re: Toy Story 3
« Reply #50 on: 06 Jan 2010, 13:54 »

I have 4 kids.  The 3 of them that are old enough to realize that a third Toy Story is on the way, are excited as shit about it.  Mind you, the first one was made way before any of them were even thought of being conceived. 

I'm not holding my breath, but the fact remains that the Toy Story movies are on the list of 'don't mind watching with my kids, because they don't bore the living shit out of me.'

Pixar hasn't screwed up yet, to my taste, so I'll likely be buying this on DVD for my kids - though I seriously doubt we'll make it to a theater for it.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #51 on: 07 Jan 2010, 09:26 »

Also, watching Fantasia 2000 makes me a little sad.  Celebrities?  In Fantasia?

Here's a rundown of the celebrities featured in the interstitials for Fantasia 2000:
Deems Taylor
Leopold Stokowski
James Levine
Itzhak Perlman
Quincy Jones
Steve Martin
James Earl Jones
Angela Lansbury
Bette Midler
Penn and Teller

While the inclusion of Steve Martin, Bette Midler and Penn and Teller might have raised a few eyebrows, I don't really see the problem with any of these people being featured in brief interstitials between the shorts. They're a welcome addition to the show and don't detract from it in any manner. It seems almost like complaining about a nature documentary by the BBC having David Attenborough narrate it.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #52 on: 20 Jun 2010, 14:26 »

Has anyone seen it yet? Totoro makes a special appearance
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #53 on: 20 Jun 2010, 14:33 »

Wait, there was a thread where everybody bitched about another pixar movie coming out because people are -that- afraid of Disney fucking things up? Christ, you people.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #54 on: 20 Jun 2010, 14:44 »

ragh corporatism is bad blah blah blah

Mein Tumblr

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #55 on: 20 Jun 2010, 15:29 »

Oh my god I loved this movie and I squealed at Totoro and it was so so so so so so so so so so so good. I cried. I so cried.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #56 on: 20 Jun 2010, 16:35 »

I saw it last night. Excellent all around.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #57 on: 20 Jun 2010, 21:28 »

I saw it. I found it a li'l weird how much of the movie relied on Ken being effeminate for laughs and found it a touch predictable, which is perhaps inevitable considering its the third movie. Enjoyed myself anyway.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #58 on: 21 Jun 2010, 08:04 »

Effeminate Ken has been a joke for longer than Pixar's existance

Mein Tumblr

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #59 on: 21 Jun 2010, 08:54 »

I think the best line about Ken was definitely Mr. Potato Head calling him an accessory. It's not just that he's effeminate, it's that he's like a Disney prince. He's a plastic eunuch who exists only to serve as a foil for Barbie's dream adventures. He is, in the end, a token male toy made for girls, which has to be a remarkably disturbing thing for any toy to admit.

I am surprised that Mattel let them make fun of Ken so much, especially when they wouldn't even let Barbie in the first one.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #60 on: 21 Jun 2010, 09:50 »

Effeminate Ken has been a joke for longer than Pixar's existance

Yeah, but when most people make the joke it doesn't feel like it had roughly an hour's worth of running time.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #61 on: 22 Jun 2010, 01:10 »

judging by the positive like 200 reviews versus maybe 3 negatives on rottentomatoes, i think there has been enough said about this movie. but oh my god. i did not beat my wall-E cry count of six times--most of the crying was done towards the end, but there were maybe like four different times where tears came close.

i've been excited for this movie for a really long time, since it is basically a representation of the culmination of my childhood (i was four when i saw the first toy story, and for the next five or so years buzz and woody were my main toys. now i am going off to college and so is andy!) and it did not disappoint at all.

and the animated short was the coolest thing i've ever seen, i don't understand pixar's boundless creativity
it's time to stop posting

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #62 on: 22 Jun 2010, 01:39 »

I kinda thought Wall-E was pretty bloodless, preachy and overrated, tbh. I'm just not capable of feeling too bad for a tiny robot that listens to Barbara Streisand and furiously emotes, I guess. I liked Up! a lot better.
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2010, 23:50 by Alex C »

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #63 on: 22 Jun 2010, 08:38 »

The fact that Up made me cry 5 minutes into the film, both times I saw it, definitely says something.

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #64 on: 23 Jun 2010, 10:27 »

This movie is hella good.

The scene near the end (you know the one) I was on the verge of tears.  Sooo emotional.
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #65 on: 23 Jun 2010, 10:34 »

I am appalled that after premiering here in Edinburgh, it will take this movie another month to play here again.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #66 on: 23 Jun 2010, 15:34 »

I am not ashamed to admit I cried like a little girl at the end.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #67 on: 23 Jun 2010, 15:51 »

The scene near the end (you know the one) I was on the verge of tears.  Sooo emotional.

Man which one? The one where they all accepted their fate to be burned alive and held hands as they watched their fate inch slowly toward them or when Andy explained the toys to the little girl and she points out Woody and he can barely bring himself to part with him and then they are playing with them and it's adorable or when Andy gets in the car to drive off and the girl makes Woody wave goodbye to him and he gets all choked up and oh god I am crying again fuck you Pixar.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #68 on: 23 Jun 2010, 15:54 »

What happened here I don't even know
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2010, 08:48 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #69 on: 23 Jun 2010, 20:17 »

the best the best the best
laughed and squealed and smiled so hard and cried like a child and eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

ImRonBurgundy?

• "That's all," he added.
« Reply #70 on: 27 Jun 2010, 00:58 »

they all accepted their fate to be burned alive and held hands as they watched their fate inch slowly toward them

Man, this part.

I had gotten so used to watching these characters always being able to extricate themselves from any situation through their cleverness and teamwork, that when Jessie looked at Buzz like "What do we do now?", and Buzz's facial expression just read "I don't know", it was like, holy shit.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Graphite

• the final frontier?!
« Reply #71 on: 27 Jun 2010, 05:41 »

Man which one? The one where they all accepted their fate to be burned alive and held hands as they watched their fate inch slowly toward them or when Andy explained the toys to the little girl and she points out Woody and he can barely bring himself to part with him and then they are playing with them and it's adorable or when Andy gets in the car to drive off and the girl makes Woody wave goodbye to him and he gets all choked up and oh god I am crying again fuck you Pixar.
Oh god both of these oh god this movie was the best. Though the Ken thing did get a little grating. ("You're a girl's toy!" "OH MY GOD YOU TAKE THAT BACK!")
Also, so much love for the short beforehand, but the most love of all for the underused and therefore not overwhelming or irritating Mr Porklepants. "Do you mind, I'm trying to stay in character!" nearly killed me, as did Barbie's sudden and unexpected declaration about how a government should be decided by common consensus rather than by brute force.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #72 on: 28 Jun 2010, 00:30 »

Yeah it was all I could do not to audibly squeal during any part of the film with the little girl. So cute! I hope someday I have kids like that.

As to crying: it wasn't just the parts people mentioned already so much as I just started bawling pretty much the entire third act and didn't stop until the credits stopped rolling. But then Pixar films do tend to affect me in that way all the time. I've seen Wall-E and Up three or four times each and they still make me lose it.

Anyway, all the people who said this movie was going to suck at the start of this thread needs to come back and receive their public humiliation
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #73 on: 28 Jun 2010, 11:10 »

We don't get this film until next month.

This makes me sad.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #74 on: 28 Jun 2010, 11:18 »

Fuck that. Since when did a third movie of a Disney classic ever turn out even half fucking decent? Stop fucking with my childhood!

The Pixar films were good since Pixar wasn't directly owned by Disney. Now they are.

I have no hope for this. Sorry Pixar, Disney just fucks shit up too much.

When Pixar came back into Disney, the first thing they did was cancel this sequel because it was going to be aweful.   Course, it was in the hands of Disney only, so there was good reason to be annoyed.

With Pixar back in charge, theres a chance of it being good.... But

Toy Story was released in 1995 at which time the graphics were unbelievable with amazing voice acting and a fun intersting plot. 
But it's thirteen years later.  The people who loved the first one are 20-30 by now. And on top of that, Disney has their hands in it will probably be on par with Bambi II, The Fox and the Hound II, and Lady and the Tramp....II...

Wall.E -> Up -> Toy Story 3?

Pixar is amazing and they are easily some of the best storytellers of this generation.  But why another Toy Story?  I don't think there needs to be more, didn't they say everything that needed to be said with the first two movies? 

These fuckers is called out.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #75 on: 28 Jun 2010, 11:21 »

man if pixar just fucked my childhood that was the saddest fuck ever.

Mein Tumblr

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #76 on: 28 Jun 2010, 12:49 »

I just searched the internet for a Norwegian releasedate. 27th of August! Fuuuuck that.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #77 on: 28 Jun 2010, 12:49 »

God. Oh god. This movie .....sigh. I can't even put into words how I felt about it.

The little girl/Bonnie was an exact cartoon copy of my little sister. I swear they acted just the same, and I was all "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww" the whole time she was on.

And then I cried. A lot. I cried so much. My shirt was soaked. I'm not even kidding.

And the short was fantastic. So well done.

And all the references to the previous films! The whole opening scene! I thought that was all fantastic.

I just loved it. I absolutely loved it. And then later that night, while my boyfriend and I laid in bed, I told him the stories of the first two, in detail. And I realized how much of a dork I was. And also that we need to buy the dvds of all of them, so we can show our kids.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #78 on: 28 Jun 2010, 13:20 »

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think I'm ready for Cars 2. Not because I think it'll be spectacular, but because I think Pixar won't turn it into a deeply emotional movie. Their last three movies have had varying degrees of darkness to them, with this one being the darkest of them all, I think, and a foray back into a Cars/Ratatouille style fun cartoon romp will be refreshing. Especially since Monsters Inc. 2 will probably be their 2013 movie and I can see how easily they can turn that dark and emotional. They need a change of pace for a couple of movies.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #79 on: 28 Jun 2010, 14:57 »

Why am I being called out? I expressed doubt as to whether or not it was necessary, and considering they've tied it all together I am looking forward to seeing it.  I do, however, have to wait another week because the person I'm seeing it with is in Toronto.  And yeah, from what I've heard Toy Story 3 is utterly fantastic but a guy can't say that he's unsure of a film which at that point we had seen very little of? 

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #80 on: 29 Jun 2010, 05:11 »

I had thought I had posted here, but clearly I haven't.
like everyone else - I loved it, I may well see it again in cinemas, which for me is almost unheard of. I dont think even then start of the up made me cry, but the start of this with all the toys trying trying for one last attempt to be played with had me choking up.   when bullseye was scrabbling in the shards of rubbish, clearly not understanding what was going on as well I was crying my eyes out, and I had just managed to regain control of myself when andy was unsure about giving up woody along with the rest of them and I was gone again.

The story in general was brilliant, as well as emotional. It was such a large scale story, but it never felt over the top like some scenes in the second one did. and when the adds showed they were bringing back deluded buzz I actually groaned, but they made it clever and original this time and it fitted the story perfectly. Spanish buzz was a nice touch too.

There were moments that could have been better though, I think Bo Peep deserved more than the one moment they gave her, Also the little green men had such potential for a great line rather than just "the claw!" after their moment of heroism.

As for Cars 2,  I am very excited about it - purely because the short is apparently going to be short Toy Story movie. I really hope it has more mr Porkelpants!
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #81 on: 29 Jun 2010, 11:24 »

Saw it this past weekend.  It was absolutely amazing.  I don't have much to add to what's already been said, except that it's interesting how many people mention that they cried while watching this movie, even when or how many times.  So yeah, I cried a couple of times too.  I'm okay with that.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #82 on: 03 Jul 2010, 17:18 »

Also this fucker, he scared me in every scene he was in

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #83 on: 03 Jul 2010, 17:55 »

Gaaaaah I had blocked that fucker out of my memory.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #84 on: 03 Jul 2010, 18:05 »

When you're alone, in your bed, you will hear it's screeching

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #85 on: 05 Jul 2010, 08:29 »

aaaaghhhh andy is a real life person
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #86 on: 06 Jul 2010, 05:46 »

aaaaaaggh

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #87 on: 11 Jul 2010, 18:35 »

Oh man I criiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiied so much. Sad tears and happy tears in the same goddamn movie.

DISNEY. PIXAR. argh
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #88 on: 11 Jul 2010, 18:38 »

How would you feel if the movie ended like this?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #89 on: 11 Jul 2010, 19:49 »

I probably would have yelled obscenities at the screen. Even with little kids in the theater.
Liz is touching me.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #90 on: 11 Jul 2010, 19:53 »

A very small part of me actually believed they might end it like that during that scene and was screaming inside. It was a very small part of me and ever so brief but my mind raced for any possible way they could escape and never actually settled on the eventual solution, which was made 100x better and funnier due to my panic.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #91 on: 11 Jul 2010, 20:54 »

Yeah, while I realized it was technically a kid's movie and they were unlikely to torch the entire cast to death, I still couldn't help myself from being like no... nO NO NON NO NO NO in my brain a little bit.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

knives

• Furry furrier
« Reply #92 on: 11 Jul 2010, 22:04 »

I'm definitely in the minority, but I think it would have been better to end there, rather than have a dues ex machina. I would've been shocked and yelled obscenities, sure, but it almost feels like a cop out on the themes of the movie and just an excuse not to piss off the parents of small children. It just feels like cake now. Best cake of the year, but still cake.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #93 on: 12 Jul 2010, 01:31 »

I would have loved that ending but it really doesn't have the sense of closure that Toy Story needed but "God From The Machine" indeed.

Watched this last week and....I guess I'm in the very small minority that didn't like the film.  I really dug the beginning and the end and the how the toys were dealing with being essentially useless.  I guess I got a little over-hyped on this film considering how I've read over a page about you guys were bawling during this movie.  I was definitely thinking that Pixar was going to wreck me emotionally and I ended up nearly bursting into tears during the movie just because I knew the ending was anticipating how hard Pixar was going to reduce me to a quivering pile of tears. 

But anyways, I don't think they could have done a better ending and I don't think I can name a trilogy that had a better and more satisfying ending.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #94 on: 12 Jul 2010, 01:54 »

Man, Toy Story 3 was amazing. It was obviously made for the people who were kids and grew up with Toy Story when they were kids, and are now grown. I came pretty close to crying at the end. The weird thing was, while I loved Toy Story as a kid, it wasn't ever really a series that I regarded as super-essential. Toy Story 3 completely changed all of that.

Also, the opening scene where the first scene of the first movie is pretty much brought to life was fucking brilliant and hilarious.
Hate, rain on me

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #95 on: 12 Jul 2010, 05:59 »

A very small part of me actually believed they might end it like that during that scene and was screaming inside. It was a very small part of me and ever so brief but my mind raced for any possible way they could escape and never actually settled on the eventual solution, which was made 100x better and funnier due to my panic.

Yeah, I was crying so much at this point. My brain was too far into "OH NOES" territory to think "man they can't end it like this" so I was just tears tears tears sniffle sniffle and then the claw came in and I was so mad at myself for thinking they could end it like that.

Would see again. Maybe in 3D this time...
Liz is touching me.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #96 on: 12 Jul 2010, 06:08 »

Yeah the Deus Ex Machina was kind of silly but at least they lampshaded it beforehand by having the little green men regarding "the claw" as an actual god.

I don't know what it is but I am never, in the moment, not completely convinced that everything can all go completely wrong and everybody dies or at least fails miserably when I am watching Pixar movies. Of course, it never has and probably never will but for some reason I just keep thinking that one of these days Pixar really is going to say "fuck it" and just emotionally scar a whole bunch of kids (and a whole bunch of adults, for that matter) for the rest of their lives.

RallyMonkey

« Reply #97 on: 12 Jul 2010, 08:01 »

I have trouble calling something that was established over all three movies in the series, and at the beginning of the scene, a Deus ex machina.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #98 on: 12 Jul 2010, 08:35 »

I saw this tonight and really loved it.

Of course because it's an animated film about toys and kids it's being regarded as a kid's film, but there is no way this is a kid's film. It's a hilarious comedy but it's also a deeply serious and moving film about the difficulty of adapting to the change that is an inevitable consequence of life and about the emotional brutality I think we've all experienced as children when it seemed like our best friends had "replaced" us. And, I'm not kidding, that scene with the holding hands and waiting to be incinerated was one of the most emotionally powerful scenes in cinema I've seen in a long time. With that scene Pixar fully earned the film's sweet conclusion.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #99 on: 17 Jul 2010, 04:03 »

Ridiculously predictable bits here and there, followed quite a lot of tropes to make it more hardcore.

Great chuckles all around, though. Anyone spotted the less obvious cultural references throughout?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up