THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toy Story 3  (Read 46781 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Re: Toy Story 3
« Reply #100 on: 17 Jul 2010, 11:28 »

hurf durf tropes dick butt
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #101 on: 17 Jul 2010, 12:04 »

I thought the plot was predictable, for the most part, I just don't think that it actually hurt the movie. It's Hitchcock's old "surprise vs. suspense" chestnut. If you give a crap about the characters, you stop thinking about what you know and start worrying about what they know, because as an audience member there's nothing you can do about anything anyway. I knew things would turn out alright in the end but I didn't really like the idea of the characters being unhappy in the meantime.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #102 on: 19 Jul 2010, 18:21 »

I have trouble calling something that was established over all three movies in the series, and at the beginning of the scene, a Deus ex machina.

My god... has Pixar created the ultimate Chekhov's gun?
Hate, rain on me

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #103 on: 19 Jul 2010, 21:54 »

Yeah, that's particularly why I thought it was so awesome. The deus ex machina was a THREE MOVIE LONG RUNNING JOKE. That's amazing.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #104 on: 24 Jul 2010, 17:22 »

Bullseye is the best character.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #105 on: 03 Aug 2010, 08:27 »

This might have been the first non-disappointing movie that I've seen this whole summer. Wow.

Lotso the bear seemed a little bit like another version of the Prospector from 2 (key difference being Prospector was scared of kids and was only going by what he's heard while Lotso had experienced that betrayal firsthand). They were both spewing the same half-truth to manipulate the people around them, but the scale on which they were doing so was very different. Pixar worship is crazy sometime, but man. It is not undeserved.

I cried and I laughed and I cried and so on. That. Was. Amazing.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #106 on: 03 Aug 2010, 09:22 »

Yeah, when Lotso first came on screen, I thought he was pretty cool, then something about how he was behaving reminded me of Stinky Pete, and I thought "He's gonna turn out to be a bad guy."  But that didn't diminish the effect when it unfolded.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #107 on: 03 Aug 2010, 15:19 »

Man, no way did it diminish the effect! I don't care what anybody says. Whether or not I "called" something doesn't change the fact that I was still relieved/appalled/touched when it happened. A good story can do that.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #108 on: 03 Aug 2010, 21:09 »

Pixar loves having their villains originally be regular or cool (usually old) dudes that end up being bad. Lotso, Stinky Pete, Charles Muntz, and Auto all fall into this category.
Hate, rain on me

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #109 on: 04 Aug 2010, 09:38 »

True.  But to be fair, it's a pretty common thing in movies.  If you're gonna have a bad guy, either they start off good or maybe neutral, or they're bad to begin with.  I think it's worse when some character is introduced who's obviously the bad guy, because then you're basically waiting for him to pull some shit about 3/4 of the way through, when everything seems to be going fine.  Then he does something dastardly and you say (sarcastically) "Oh, I didn't see that coming".  On the other hand, that's still better than someone who's been a good guy the whole way suddenly turning 180 because of something having to do with his mom/dad/brother/whoever who was never even mentioned before.  That's just cheap.

And in the case of Lotso, it was actually a double-twist or something.  They'd saved his ass, he seemed grateful, and I actually thought he was gonna turn out okay, like he'd seen the light or something, and then he still left them to die.  It was pure spite at that point; he didn't even have a reason other than he was an asshole.  Stinky Pete at least had something like a rationale for wanting to stay in the box and retain his collector's value.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #110 on: 04 Aug 2010, 09:46 »

I just learned that Lotso was originally conceived and even storyboarded as a Care Bear.

I want to see that version of the movie so much now.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #111 on: 04 Aug 2010, 12:26 »

And in the case of Lotso, it was actually a double-twist or something.  They'd saved his ass, he seemed grateful, and I actually thought he was gonna turn out okay, like he'd seen the light or something, and then he still left them to die.  It was pure spite at that point; he didn't even have a reason other than he was an asshole.  Stinky Pete at least had something like a rationale for wanting to stay in the box and retain his collector's value.

I definitely did not see that action coming in a disney movie... like others who posted, I saw the fact that he was a "bad guy" coming but his second double cross was definitely well executed.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #112 on: 06 Aug 2010, 01:25 »

Also.  There is a reference to A New Hope in Toy Story, a reference to The Empire Strikes Back in Toy Story 2, and a reference to Return of The Jedi in Toy Story 3.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #113 on: 07 Aug 2010, 08:39 »

I liked that Sid the neighbour was the bin man.
Didn't cry though.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #114 on: 09 Aug 2010, 04:13 »

Also.  There is a reference to A New Hope in Toy Story, a reference to The Empire Strikes Back in Toy Story 2, and a reference to Return of The Jedi in Toy Story 3.

Glad to see someone's finally pointed it out. Coincidentally, it made the third reference the coolest.  :-P

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #115 on: 09 Aug 2010, 10:17 »

Okay, I remember the Zurg-Buzz connection in Toy Story 2 (pretty hard to miss that one) and I think I remembered some kind of Star Wars reference in TS3, but can someone just point out the three references so we can all be amazed?  Thanks!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #116 on: 09 Aug 2010, 10:40 »

1) Sid torturing Woody asking where the rebel base was.
2) Zurg's "I am your father."
3) Big Baby dramatically throwing Lotso into the dumpster.

Not only were all three Star Wars references, they're also all Vader references.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #117 on: 09 Aug 2010, 22:36 »

3) Big Baby dramatically throwing Lotso into the dumpster.

I picked out the third one the easiest, mostly because the camera angle was exactly the same as it was in RotJ.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #118 on: 10 Aug 2010, 08:52 »

Oh shit, I can't believe I forgot that one!  Yeah, Big Baby tossing Lotso was sweet, and the angle and everything was perfect.

Sid torturing Woody = Vader torturing Leia, I'm gonna have to watch that again.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #119 on: 19 Oct 2010, 18:14 »

Sid torturing Woody = Vader torturing Leia, I'm gonna have to watch that again.
Where are your Rebel friends now?  Heh heh heh heh...

Sid's teeth in the magnifying glass should easily count as a good example of nightmare fuel.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

daisy45luther

« Reply #120 on: 19 Nov 2010, 01:30 »

A mixed review  :? ..Good and Bad both..But most i liked was Lilo...and ending is also fine.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #121 on: 19 Nov 2010, 01:38 »

Grrr, more bot spam. I try to report it, but for some reason, some whole threads are missing the report link on each post for me, while in other threads, they're where they're supposed to be.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up