THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warner Brothers set to make new Akira  (Read 26223 times)

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Re: Warner Brothers set to make new Akira
« Reply #50 on: 22 Feb 2008, 20:50 »

Guys what is so hard to get about Akira? Some guys are on motorbikes and then some guy has insane powers and then he turns into a giant blob thing and some weird shit happens.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

I don't get this whole "you shouldn't need to watch a movie more than once to understand the basic premise of a movie" argument when the basic premise of this movie is "WEIRD SHIT HAPPENS"
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2008, 20:52 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: 22 Feb 2008, 20:52 »

the blue kids was a cool idea...
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #52 on: 22 Feb 2008, 20:55 »

I don't understand Akira.

Looks cool, though. Amazing imagery that Americans, at least, had never seen before in their movies. It's not hard to see how it inspired a whole generation of animators and filmmakers.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #53 on: 22 Feb 2008, 21:04 »

Unfortunately for everyone in this thread there is already a live action remake, and it's fucking awesome.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #54 on: 22 Feb 2008, 21:23 »

See, what's artful about the last post was that I kept thinking "Wait, am I about to get Rick Rolled?" as I scrolled over the link and then it turned out to be topical while still leaving me feeling like I had been Rick Rolled. Except I actually kinda like that video. Well played.

*slow claps*
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #55 on: 22 Feb 2008, 21:37 »

Johnny C for Forum Moderator '08.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #56 on: 22 Feb 2008, 21:41 »

So, wait, Daft Punk should do the soundtrack for the new Akira film?

Also, as much as Kayne West annoys me, I liked that Daft Punk song before he did the collab/remix thing.  That was a cool video.  Definitely an homage to Akira.
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2008, 21:43 by imapiratearg »

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #57 on: 22 Feb 2008, 21:57 »

Johnny C for Forum Moderator '08.

Johnny C get off my internets.

... oh wait I need to say something constructive. Uh...

I have not seen Akira, so therefore I have been unable to formulate a well defined opinion on the subject matter.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #58 on: 23 Feb 2008, 14:55 »

I just watched Steamboy.

It was a "meh" film.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

JJXB

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #59 on: 26 Feb 2008, 02:11 »

NO. NO. NO. I enjoyed it and i don't think it deserves to be ruined. it's bad enough death note was remade into 2 films that ended up being crap.
My Youtube account
~Ceramic White PSP Status~
FW: 3.90 M33
Memory Stick: 1gb

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #60 on: 26 Feb 2008, 05:11 »

It's really not surprising that the film version of Akira feels incomplete and somewhat confusing. The manga is getting on for 3000 A4 pages in length and has a complex enough plot to require a dramatis personae. Metaphysical exposition that takes up half of volume four is crunched down into about two minutes in the prison (and even then they don't have time to get into entropy), and the scientific speculation on the nature of the Akira effect is rendered down to a single line uttered by the chief scientist before he is crushed.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Skyrocket

« Reply #61 on: 26 Feb 2008, 17:50 »

NO. NO. NO. I enjoyed it and i don't think it deserves to be ruined. it's bad enough death note was remade into 2 films that ended up being crap.

Even if the live action version sucks nothing is going to change in the animated version. I really don't see crappy adaptations as being a threat to the original source material.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #62 on: 26 Feb 2008, 18:32 »

I think Akira's a touch long, more than anything-- I can accept "WEIRD SHIT HAPPENS!" as a movie premise, as long as you concentrate on the weird shit and a couple of strong characterizations. It's just when they keep injecting rather incomplete and subsequently pointless background information into the proceedings that the movie really loses my attention. As I said before, I think a firmer emphasis on the friendship/rivalry between the oblivious Kaneda and the passive-aggressive Tetsuo followed by jumping straight to balls-to-the-wall weirdness and climactic ending with some of the more pointless exposition removed would have made for a tighter movie, and I don't think it would really have lost much because the movie is remembered for it's excellent animation and art direction more than anything.

It's understating things a bit to say that it was American audiences who were unused to such visuals-- Akira was a highly polished effort by any standard, with over a 150,000 cells of animation and it was one of the few Japanese projects (maybe even the first? I forget) in which voice actors were recorded first with the animation produced to fit the voices instead of vice versa-- it may be standard procedure in many American productions and Disney in particular, but in Japan the prohibitive cost made the stereotypical poor dubbing one of the many cost cutting maneuvers that contributed to an overall lower standard of animation. That's not to denigrate the artists, mind you, but the fact of the matter is that most animation studios simply didn't have the budget for the kind of polished effort you'd see from a Disney or Don Bluth project of the same era, so Akira really was something of a coming out party.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2008, 19:37 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #63 on: 26 Feb 2008, 19:35 »

I remember that as a child, watching Akira, I mostly hated it because of Tetsuo's girlfriend getting humiliated/punched by the gang and then getting crushed inside of Tetsuo. That really bothered me. It still does, but the muddled nature of the nature is also annoying.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #64 on: 21 Mar 2008, 23:42 »

I'm going to say that it's going to be terrible right off the bat.  After seeing trailers for Speed Racer which is going to be pretty much exactly like Spiderman 3 (great graphics, shitty movie) I don't have high hopes for any "anime" movie being remade.  Have they just run out of J-horror films to rip off? I watched A Tale of Two Sister and three days later I heard that it was being remade. Exact same thing happened to me with Shutter.  The fact that they want to remake Akira is....ehh.  And personally I love Michael Cera but he's not a punk kid...he's awkward.  At least it's not being made by Uwe Boll.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #65 on: 22 Mar 2008, 12:06 »

^ I've said it a thousand times.

Speed Racer looks awesome and it's based on a shitty anime to begin with.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #66 on: 22 Mar 2008, 20:07 »

It's really hard not to get excited about the prospect of a live action Akira.

But it is also hard not to be aprehensive.  If they're setting it in a different city, I shutter to think of what else they'd change.  They'd probably do something stupid, like change the names and "Americanize" it to get all the teeny bopers interested.

When Akira was first released in the United States, "Ryu" was called "Roy." And KA-neh-da was renamed Kuh-NAY-da, so as not to confuse people who might here his name as "Canada."
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #67 on: 18 May 2008, 23:15 »

Most Manga movies shit me.  Everyone talks about how awesome and complex they are, then I go watch them and feel like I've just sat through one of the latter movies in the Matrix trilogy.  That is to say that the "really deep philosophical stuff" in it is total fucking bullshit scratching-the-surface junk that high school and college students talk about when they are stoned and think they are discussing matters no-one has ever talked about before when in reality it's about as basic as it fucking gets.

On top of that everything is usually ripped off pretty much wholesale from other places, the characterisations are shallow as shit, the misogyny is rampant, the plot is either overly-convoluted or non-existent and the main star is usually a Mary-Sue of some degree, pulling Deus Ex Machina out of their ass hand over fist in the final act.

I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but even movies I found fun to watch like Ninja Scroll and the Studio Ghibli stuff I've seen suffer from most of these problems and (to me at least) the animation looks fairly crap.

Are they fun movies?  Sure!  Are they epic masterpieces?  Fuck that and fuck you!

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #68 on: 18 May 2008, 23:30 »

You really felt like necroing just to say that? Was there something on Gabbly?

All in all, I agree that Akira is not a masterpiece on really any level. But based upon the very thing you just said I think its better than a lot. The storyline to me was always a bit muddled, but I managed to get caught up in the movie because I like the pacing, and I like the music, at least whatever music is in the version I have. I just sorta like watching it every now and then for the moments of badassery, of which there are plenty. Deep? No.

It wasn't as bad as that one live action movie about the giant lizard/amphibian thing and the quarantined city and shit that came out a while back. Really, it was like watching a really shitty anime, only with real people and a badly rendered monster.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #69 on: 19 May 2008, 01:42 »

Akira is a masterpiece in the same way that Black Sabbath's self-titled is.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #70 on: 19 May 2008, 03:19 »

I necro'd it because there was a link elsewhere and because I didn't pay attentions!

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #71 on: 19 May 2008, 03:54 »

Well est, I think you suffer from "I have only seen a few anime films therefore I will make vast sweeping generalisations about the entire genre" syndrome.

It's pretty common, given that until extremely recently only the lowest-common-denominator anime and live-action Japanese films have been officially translated and widely distributed.

That doesn't make it any less ignorant, but at least you have a reasonable excuse for said ignorance.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #72 on: 19 May 2008, 05:31 »

I have seen hundreds of anime films, and dozens of anime series. I agree with Est. Except for that part about the animation being poor, that one was a pretty bad generalisation.

I just watched Steamboy.

It was a "meh" film.

This is also bullshit. Visually, Steamboy was a masterpiece.

While I'm still on the topic of Steamboy..
I think that as a standalone movie, it's fantastic. Lots of people have said to me that it had a poor story, poor characters and no depth. When challenged to bring up a better anime, they could only think of series and franchises. Honestly, saying Steamboy is terrible because you're unable to compare it to Evangelion or something is pretty ridiculous. I like that it skips the "really deep philosophical stuff" that is actually "scratching the surface junk". You might disagree and tell me about how it's a harsh criticism on the nature of man, greed, war, weapons manufacture and misuse of technology, but honestly, all that stuff was just touched upon either as a plot device or a character's motivation. I think it was great because not only did it look fantastic, but it avoided the pseudo-philosophical crap that plagues the majority of anime.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #73 on: 19 May 2008, 09:40 »

Animation improves with the budget and the year of release, simple as that. I've seen anime on both sides of the spectrum. Of course, bad animation is everywhere. Scooby Doo people.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #74 on: 20 May 2008, 08:44 »

I kind of like anime. I don't think it's the most amazing thing ever, even if I was in the Anime Club at uni, but it's not without its merits. Not as a genre as a whole but certain films or series are pretty reasonable. I think the art varies from film to film (the original Vampire Hunter D doesn't hold up to Ghost in the Shell for instance) and I definitely don't try to read too much into the philosophy behind any of the films because I find the people who do that kind of thing to be insufferable wankers. All in all it's pretty reasonable as the animation tends to improve as the years pass (Vampre Hunter D: Bloodlust is fucking awesome) but it isn't the be all and end all of animation.

That said, turning Akira, which was a really silly film regardless of how amazing the manga was, into a Live Action Film is a terrible mistake. Look at Speed Racer.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #75 on: 20 May 2008, 09:54 »

Speed Racer the show was terrible to begin with and I continue to be in awe that no one understands that it translated to film perfectly for how terrible it was.

There are good anime, though. I haven't actually found many anime movies I like, but there are several TV shows that I genuinely enjoy, like Paranoia Agent, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, and Cowboy Bebop, none of which involve giant robots, schoolgirls, or 30 episodes of nothing happening,
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #76 on: 20 May 2008, 13:17 »

How giant does a 'bot have to be to be considered a "giant robot"? GitS: SAC has some pretty large 'uns.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #77 on: 20 May 2008, 13:49 »

The Tachikomas are not giant robots and, also, they are adorable. Fight you.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #78 on: 20 May 2008, 14:48 »

The Tachikomas are not giant robots and, also, they are adorable. Fight you.

They are pretty big......and adorable......Fight you.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #79 on: 20 May 2008, 16:21 »

Hmmm...if I remember correctly, they were about the size of a small car...and adorable...Fight you
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #80 on: 21 May 2008, 23:00 »

*scratches head* Is that all at me? Because OMG the tachikomas were really super cute and fascinating. I was just poking fun at your dislike for giant robots, because I happen to like a couple of shows that feature them.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #81 on: 22 May 2008, 11:19 »

FLCL is all you ever need to know about giant robots
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #82 on: 22 May 2008, 12:37 »

*scratches head* Is that all at me? Because OMG the tachikomas were really super cute and fascinating. I was just poking fun at your dislike for giant robots, because I happen to like a couple of shows that feature them.

Just the first "fight you"
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

DoubleAW

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Crazy Kid Genius
    • Hur.
« Reply #83 on: 22 May 2008, 19:58 »

FLCL is all you ever need to know about giant robots

A live action FLCL would be so trippy.
o hi.

brandon_ha

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #84 on: 29 Jun 2008, 12:47 »

For those of you who have yet to experience the wonders of Akira i present you with a google video link containing the film in its entirety.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2402751682668296100&q=akira&ei=neVnSMKUNJ_I-wHqmYnzDg

Set aside some time, make some popcorn and enjoy.

All I can say is that if its done right I will be inline for the dvd. If it turns out horrible though, I wont be surprised.
Yeah punctuation sure is pretty pretentious. Look how fucking pretentious this post is, all with two periods and a comma.

brandon_ha

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #85 on: 29 Jun 2008, 13:51 »

See, what's artful about the last post was that I kept thinking "Wait, am I about to get Rick Rolled?" as I scrolled over the link and then it turned out to be topical while still leaving me feeling like I had been Rick Rolled. Except I actually kinda like that video. Well played.

*slow claps*

I agree, for the most part, except that because of that video, every time I play "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" at my high school  I get some dip shit coming up and saying that Kanyes so awesome for writing that.
Yeah punctuation sure is pretty pretentious. Look how fucking pretentious this post is, all with two periods and a comma.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up