THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My "Craft" (painting miniatures)  (Read 83417 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
Re: My "Craft" (painting miniatures)
« Reply #50 on: 07 Sep 2008, 06:42 »

Probably about 75/25 paint water.  Percentages aren't important - it's the smoothness of the finish so find what works for you and go with it.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #51 on: 08 Sep 2008, 14:27 »

Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #52 on: 08 Sep 2008, 17:30 »

Little guy looks so happy and shit.

Remind me to post up pics of a 40k squad - The Last Chancers.

Is cool.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #53 on: 09 Sep 2008, 14:23 »

Oh, hey, a toy soldier thread!

I do have a bunch of things, am currently trying to be in the process of repainting my spacemarines!

Here are a few pictures. (have since painted a wee bit more :))

The whole army as it shall be.

The big boss

Finished squad

And here is a guy showing off the chapter symbol thinger. (Which ive grown to hate. One happy sun is fun to do. 5 is sort of ok. 36+ the bigger ones i will have to put on the tanksies... Less so. Guess that teaches me a valuable lesson about freehand logos...

Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #54 on: 10 Sep 2008, 04:30 »

36 suns are annoying - Try over 72 dog's heads (the crest on my Bret men at arms' shields)!
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #55 on: 10 Sep 2008, 18:37 »

You think 72 dog's heads is annoying? Try over 144 hammers (damn stunty army).

Also, pictures forthcoming of my progress on my Daemons of Slaanesh army. I have 17 days to finish painting about 40 models. FUCK YEAH DEADLINES

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #56 on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:29 »

Well, played my first game with the army last saturday. Lets just say i need a bit of practice (but, Siege shells shooshting at buildings, is fucking cool!)
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

mat_mantra

« Reply #57 on: 23 Sep 2008, 16:45 »

For some reason, I just dropped 300$ on bugs over this last weekend, so expect to see some Tyranids soon

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #58 on: 24 Sep 2008, 21:53 »

I really need to finish up my Daemon models so I can start on my necrons, and then finish those so I can start on my warmachine, then finish those so I can start on my hordes, then finish those so I can start on my extra models I have lying around, then finish those so I can do commissions, then finish those so I can start another Daemon army.

Rozen

« Reply #59 on: 25 Sep 2008, 18:22 »

WOW! This used to be my craft for a while when I was 18 and playing D&D with some serious people. My Aunt and Uncle used to own a Hobby shop and it was crammed with awesome stuff. They had a pretty hardcore setup with a case chock full of miniatures. I would buy the Games Workshop magazines just for the painting tutorials in the back. Happy nostalgia.. sadly I don't have the miniatures anymore, I left them for the gamers.

Sir Tacopuss

• Emoticontraindication
  • Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn
« Reply #60 on: 28 Oct 2008, 16:38 »

lookit me soldiers

wow, those are nice. you did quite well on the custom paint scheme imo.

At the moment I'm in the progress of enlargening my Iron Warriors Chaos Legion from ~1000 Points to something around 2500. My to-do-list includes 30 Marines, 15 Terminators, 3 Obliterators, Vindicator (The new plastic one, very nice kit), Basilisk (well FU new codex, i'll keep playing by the 3rd edition rules) as well as a terminator warsmith with corrupted servitors and a dark mechanicus based on the metal enginseer. I'll post some pictures as soon as I finish some models, but atm I'm still sorting out what bits I'm going to use... need some more terminator bits, especially heads and arms.
To send - Onward to terminus triumphal flight sheds object form.
Orbitainer eyes the absolute and freed - walk alone.

Seductivpancakes

« Reply #61 on: 31 Oct 2008, 11:18 »

I really like your  Lotr Dwarves Border Reiver. I play Harad and Morder list. I'm starting a Gondor and allies army soon. I like how the metallic paints came out. Do you have a 500 pt list for your Dwarves? I hope it doesn't include Dain who is the bane of my army.

I also really like your converted Bretonnian lord. I think thats a very good conversion. Pretty amazing mini.

I have maybe too many armies. I play Orcs and Goblins, Bretonnians, Warriors of Chaos, Space Marines, and Chaos Space Marines.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #62 on: 03 Nov 2008, 08:16 »

I have several 500pt lists for my Dwarves - some of which include Dain, others Balin, some Gimil, and others just have a bog standard Dwarf Captain. 

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #63 on: 05 Nov 2008, 19:38 »

Too bad all of those lists just come up a bit short.
I've also heard that the Dwarf army in LoTR is quite beardy.

I'm sorry. I used to play Dwarves in fantasy so I know a lot of these.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #64 on: 22 Jan 2009, 13:56 »

And after a hiatus resulting from computer issues (the work computer wouldn't let me load to photobucket)

I now present

Galadriel's Fountain

and The Dunland Troll (counts as an Isengard Troll for game purposes)

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #65 on: 28 Feb 2009, 17:14 »

It's been a while but here are some converted chaos dwarf warriors (made from BFSP warriors)

My lord on a Great Taurus

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #66 on: 02 Jun 2009, 13:14 »

Oh look a bad picture from my phone of Capt Bartolo Montador:

I put the hole in his hat and positioned it to make it look like it was flying off.

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #67 on: 09 Jun 2009, 08:58 »

I really envy you guys to be that steady with your hands to paint such tiny things with great detail. Especially having the stamina for whole armies.

I am better at building landscapes, costumes and 1:1 scale theatre background props and such things ^^. I blame that to my big sausage-hands.

A friend of mine was into that Warhammer Miniature stuff too. Until he decided to make it "bigger", since he is already metal & foam/latex designer. A full wearable Warhammer Chaos Champion Costume. Got him the attention on that Games Workshop Convention "Reenact your Miniatures"

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=301142909&albumID=30581&imageID=2941495

9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me that i am not mad. The 10th hums the Tetris Tune.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #68 on: 15 Jun 2009, 14:44 »

I used to play back in the day. I have since quit but man was it fun. Nice armys all!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #69 on: 18 Jul 2009, 05:31 »

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=301142909&albumID=30581&imageID=2941495

Alter Schwede Oo

I'm also impressed by the artwork and how you guys give them detail on such a small scale.
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #70 on: 08 Nov 2009, 13:56 »

And now, the Children of Hashut - 6 Bull Centaurs with Great Weapons and Full command

It's been a while since I last posted here.  might have to post some of the better ones as well.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #71 on: 12 Nov 2009, 23:44 »

Border I am really interested in what and where you got that warrior with the shield on page 1.  Looks great!  And love the brets!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #72 on: 13 Nov 2009, 04:52 »

Thanks, the Brets are my first army (started seriously painting minis in this scale around '95 or so), but ar in the midst of a repaint to bring them up to my current ability, as are my Chaos Dwarfs.

Which warrior with a shield are you talking about? 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #73 on: 13 Nov 2009, 22:50 »

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #74 on: 16 Nov 2009, 03:49 »

The figure is a stock Citadel figure called Dunland Chietain from the Lord of the Rings range.  To him I added a shield made of epoxy putty (Greenstuff) that I sculpted into the rough shape of a typical Celtic oval shield.  The Painted pattern on the shield is based on the designs from the Battersea shield (the original being bronze covered wood). 

the size of my force means that I have two guys who are similar (hell it is the same model as the range is somewhat limited) so to differentiate between the two at a glance, one guy has golden armour and a purple cloak - to indicate his higher rank.  I try to keep the colours somewhat natural for these folks as they are supposed to be similar to pictish/celtic/germanic barbarians.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #75 on: 09 Dec 2009, 06:33 »

And now for a little somthing I've been thinking about for a while (because I am a geek) - a Kollossus

because some warlords want the latest thing in daemon driven transportation

And in case anyone's wondering - the runes state "Lord Kurgan Grudgebear gathered for Hashut - 1 giant, 24 orcs, 20 goblins" - I've started a running tally of what casualties are caused in the battles that it has been used in.

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
  • "Chickens are a cruel people"
« Reply #76 on: 13 Feb 2010, 21:36 »

These are fantastic.  I've always loved miniatures and have wanted to try this type of painting for a while now.  I'd really like to try a dragon...

Also, I *love* the bases you have on some of them.  I really like to ogle train-set miniature gravel/grass/moss and when I get to see it used I get all tingly. :)

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #77 on: 29 Mar 2010, 21:10 »

Right, I could not find my good camera so these will have to do for now, all far away pictures because this little coolpix shit thing can't macrofocus at all.

But:

These warriors are incomplete, and the ones that are painted are all badly in need of a repainting by a hopefully more skilled older hand. The one I'm proud of and hope to be able to take a picture of is the front left, smoking and drinking on the front line.

The Cannon and Quarrelers! Seriously the crossbow dudes are the worst part of the army painted-wise, they need some serious repainting.

In general I need to get that gravelly stuff on the bases of all my units, touch up, repair, repaint. There's a lot of work to get this into a functioning army, and I plan on adding to it, erm eventually.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #78 on: 29 Mar 2010, 22:10 »

Mwuahahahaha found a slightly better camera:

Ironbreaker Command

I call this one, the Pointer

Dwarf Champion

Standard Bearer

Miner Commander

Lord. this is one of my earlier attempts at modding, and I really don't know why I did what I did. Anyway one of his plastic horns has fallen off and you can see where he used to be a red model. Basically I just didn't like those wings on him. The other half of his great-axe has also been broken off. Honestly the only way I can see this guy getting fixed is with a lot of green stuff and some elbow grease.

Ironbreakers

Miners

Bonus: Cannon
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #79 on: 30 Mar 2010, 05:03 »

Nice - the lord can  be fixed with a simple helmet swap, or maybe one of the extra horns from the warriors sprue.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #80 on: 30 Mar 2010, 12:26 »

Simple being a relative term, its a semi daunting task to think about sawing the head off of a metal figure. Working on him using mostly pieces from old warrior sprues, I'm amazed that I still I think have all of them, so there's tons of little bits to work with, pics soon.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #81 on: 30 Mar 2010, 13:26 »

Fixed Dwarf Lord. I ripped off the other horn since I couldn't find one the right size (apparently there are at least two sizes of horns on the warrior sprue).

The broken axe head I literally had to saw off with a steak knife, since I'm guessing I left my old hobby knife in Lubbock, TX when I moved up here to Maryland. Anyway replaced it with a great axe head once again from the dwarf warrior sprue, and is not basically the same axe that my warrior champion is using, but meh. I might replace the champions axe with a slight less fancy head so that the lord doesn't get axe envy.

Also you can sorta see a little ale cask that I glued to him for the hell of it on the left side. I also replaced his boring square base with a round one that I had off an old night goblin fanatic that was broken long ago. If he's the lord of the army then I figure the least I can do is make his base stand out a bit.

Found some old banners from when I was even younger and had an orc/goblin army, these are probably my first ever attempt at free hand painting, kinda messy.

Also, are you aware of any good ways to get the paint off of strictly plastic miniatures without turning them into gooey pulp? looking back at these figures I really, really want to retry painting my crossbow guys and a lot of the basic warriors. I'm also probably going to repaint the lord, I just glued those bits on for now to see how it would look, but I'm going to rip em off again and put that lil' bastard in some paint thinner.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2010, 13:29 by Boro_Bandito »

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #82 on: 30 Mar 2010, 17:28 »

Hee I'm making a goblin out of square parts, just finding bits and pieces to make him an interesting character.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #83 on: 30 Mar 2010, 18:15 »

Good fix for the Dwarf Lord - simple conversions done well are the key.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #84 on: 30 Mar 2010, 21:42 »

THIN YOUR PAINTS

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #85 on: 30 Mar 2010, 21:45 »

christ Jace I painted all of this stuff years ago, its a little late for that. Also the grainyness on a lot of these guys was caused by  the undercoat of black spray paint I used on them. I was painting them outside in the middle of the summer and it caused the paint to do very annoying things.

Do you know of any methods for stripping paint of plastic models dude? Because like I said, I'd love to repaint these guys.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #86 on: 31 Mar 2010, 04:38 »

Pinesol - soak for few hours and clean with an old toothbrush under running water - strips off enamel and acrylic paints very well.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #87 on: 01 Apr 2010, 15:47 »

Simple Green works fantastically too, that is what I used to strip quite a few of my older space marine models.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #88 on: 01 Apr 2010, 20:45 »

excellent guys, appreciate the help.

peacetokengy

• Not quite a lurker
    • Holy crap...Myspace!
« Reply #89 on: 21 Jun 2010, 21:13 »

I absolutely love all of your work! I want to paint my own Dragonlance miniatures but I can only find ones that come pre-painted. I would like to paint other D&D characters as well but I'm mainly focused on Dragonlance. Let me know if you come across any unpainted characters please.
-Imakuni?-

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #90 on: 11 Jul 2010, 08:44 »

As some of you may know I have a number of armies - some even have army books!  In addition to the Chaos Dwarfs I play Dogs of War, Cult of Ulric, Dwarfs, Bretonnians and Kislev. 

Here are some of my latest for both Kislev and the Dwarfs:

Found a reasonably priced Tzar and decided to try NMM - be gentle, it was my first time...

And the least successful slayer of 2006

Nettle

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #91 on: 03 Aug 2010, 04:21 »

I got excited seeing 'miniatures' and then realised it's not the 1:12 variety like what I do. :( Oh well. I might need to ask you about painting techniques, I have some miniatures (1:12) that I want to paint, tiny ornaments for on mantle pieces. The ornaments are about 1 cm tall and represent people in historical dress. Not quite sure where to start.
www.notebookinhand.com -Forum for creative people.

www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk - Remember Maid Marian And Her Merry Men? Join the fanforum!
http://fluffybricks.blogspot.com You might not believe your eyes!

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #92 on: 10 Aug 2010, 10:08 »

Since you already do 1:12 scale modelling I'll refrain from the obvious steps of cleaning up the mould lines, etc:

a.  Select your primer - matte white gives you a brighter overall finish, while matte black gives a darker tone.  Black can also be more forgiving if you miss a spot while painting, as the dark colour doesn't attract your eye as well;
b.  Select your paint - are you using enamels, acrylics, or oils?  I use acrylics because they are water based, clean up easier, and mix fairly well, however they dry quickly, so some layering and wet-mixing techniques are hard to execute.  Enamels are harder wearing, but are not as easy to clean up - I generally use an enamel varnish to protect my minis because these are gaming pieces - you may not need as sturdy a finish if they aren't leavign the mantle.  Oils are extremely easy to mix and their long drying time allows for quite a bit of wet mixing on the mini, allowing a near infinite range of colour.  Oils big drawback is their drying time, which may even take months before it is completely dry.
c.  Select your brushes - probably don't need to tell you to get the best ones you can afford - for 28mm scale minis I use 0, 000, and 10x0 brushes for much of my work, and some #1 flat tips for drybrushing;
d.  When painting people, I like to start with the skin tones first then work my way out.  There are number of good painting guides for minis out there - Painting Citadel Miniatures is put out by Games Workshop and shows a large number of good techniques, So does the painting section of White Dwarf magazine, and also Military Modelling - which also has a larger range of scales and media than either of GW's publications.

The biggest advice I can give is take it slowly and deliberately at first until you get the hang of the scale.  Look at your mini from close up when you paint, and also from what will be the normal viewing distance - you don't need to paint what will never be seen.

And most importantly, keep your drink well away from the pot you're using to to keep your brush moist and clean - unless you like the taste of paint in your tea....

TomTom

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #93 on: 20 Oct 2010, 18:23 »

What type of primer do you guys use? I have a bunch of unpainted 40k figures, but never wanted to sink money into the official paint sets.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #94 on: 29 Oct 2010, 04:15 »

I use a flat black spray paint from the hardware store to prime - preferring Tremclad.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #95 on: 29 Oct 2010, 22:28 »

In a pinch I use a $1 can of Color Place flat black from Wal Mart. Usually I like to use Board to Pieces flat black primer, it is a little bit more expensive ($8-10) but extremely worth it for the great coverage it gives.

Forgotmytea

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #96 on: 18 Jan 2011, 11:30 »

It's nice to see other wargamers on here, and some brilliantly painted models. I thought I'd get in on the action and post some of my Lord of the Rings models! :-)

I've just finished a couple of companies of Gondorian rangers and archers, so I'll put them up soon :-)

Sorry if this is a bit necromancer-y - it was still near the top of the first page, so I assumed it'd be ok.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #97 on: 28 Feb 2011, 10:01 »

MORDHEIMEN!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #98 on: 17 Apr 2013, 21:33 »

My most recent project completion a titan scale model! The DFG Leviathan Crusader is an INCREDIBLE model kit from an up and coming company I can't really say enough nice things about. This is the only 28mm infantry scale mini of theirs I have, but just her has convinced me to grab a box of their standard infantry when I get back to the States this summer.

I've completed the first of my two Crusaders, I haven't even begun to assemble the other one, but I plan to tackle that this weekend! I don't think I'm going to get it painted till I return from Japan though. Not completely any way, it had a much more complex paint job then my first Crusader, which is representing a noble house in the Iron Core universe, while it's counter part is going to be an Army model in the same Olive drab as Ada.

Knight load out:

Gunslinger load out:

Sword/Shield detail:
(click to show/hide)

Shoulder pads:
(click to show/hide)
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #99 on: 15 Jun 2013, 03:17 »

Damn, it's been awhile since any one updated this! I've been busy though! This is a photo heavy post so as such much of the contents have been spoilered to keep things simple.

Current "To Do" List:
Space Marine Veterans 12/12
Special Kitbashed Assault Marine 1/1
Sisters of Battle Canoness Juliette Le Ortega 1/1
SM Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer 0/1 (Mostly assembled)
SM Razorbacks 0/2 (Ready for Paint)
Sisters of Battle Rhino 1/1
Sisters of Battle Classic Immolator 1/1
DFG Leviathan Crusader 0/1 (Still on Sprue)
DFG Leviathan Weapons Arms 0/4 (Awaiting Delivery)
Objective Markers 0/5 (Ready for Paint)

Finished up some more stuff for my Sisters of Battle.

Canoness Juliette Le Ortega:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Rhino 2

(click to show/hide)

Old School Immo*

(click to show/hide)

*The plan is when I'm fielding everything this will run as an Immolator, and the actual Immolator will play as a "counts as" Repressor. Makes since since I've honestly always pictured Immolators as small, fast scout/attack vehicles.

And some more Space Marines goodness.

Special Kitbash assault marine:

(click to show/hide)

various weapons vets:

(click to show/hide)

Power Sword vets:

(click to show/hide)

Assembled Company veterans:

(click to show/hide)
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up