THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Pop Group  (Read 2455 times)

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
The Pop Group
« on: 29 Feb 2008, 20:46 »

This is yet another band that my friend Chris Kilbourne introduced me to.  Many here have probably heard of them, but they haven't had a thread yet.  Basically they're what Gang of Four would have sounded like if they were...I dunno, weirder, somehow.  Funk/Punk that has lost any really definate sense of rhythm, melody or normal pop cohesion while remaining really, really groovy.
I'm starting this thread now mostly to announce that on Amazon one can once more get a non-Japanese Import version of their debut album Y.  So it's now $13 rather than $30.
Here's them at their most 'accessible' with "She Is Beyond Good and Evil," which was technically a single but is included in most CD editions of Y.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sL0tYowbIxE

Other favorite tracks of mine from their debut include "We Are Time" and "Savage Sea."  Does anyone have For How Much Longer Do we Tolerate Mass Murder?  Thoughts on it?  How about the compilations?
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

PassiveTheory

Re: The Pop Group
« Reply #1 on: 01 Mar 2008, 03:12 »

So... They're analogous to Moving Units?

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2 on: 01 Mar 2008, 08:42 »

RE: Black Eyes.  I might have heard of them, I should check them out.  When were they together?
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3 on: 01 Mar 2008, 09:18 »

Like 2000-2004. They were a fantastic band.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #4 on: 01 Mar 2008, 09:22 »

Their self-titled album is excellent as well, less dubby than Cough and it definitely has a lot of similarities to this Pop Group song.

I'd never heard The Pop Group before, this video is great. I'll have to get hold of more.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #5 on: 01 Mar 2008, 10:00 »

So... They're analogous to Moving Units?
Uh... no, not so much... unless most of Moving Units tracks have a hell of a lot more Free-jazz thrown into the mix than their first couple of myspace songs seem to indicate.  Still, decent songs.

Thanks for the heads up on Black Eyes.  Awesome.  If I heard of them it would have probably been from the same dude that introduced me to the Pop Group (basically he is my friend that is cooler than me).

A Pack of Wolves--unfortunately Youtube doesn't have the other really stand-out tracks on Y uploaded, though it does have a few others that are pretty good--"The Boys From Brazil," for instance, which is a hell of a lot less coherent (if you could call it that) as a pop song than "She is Beyond Good and Evil."
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cjbpr5L2wZ4

-Wilhelm
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2008, 10:15 by Uber Ritter »
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #6 on: 01 Mar 2008, 16:43 »

How Much Longer Do We Tolerate Mass Murder? is an absolute masterpiece, I'd say.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up