THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ATTN CANADIANS!  (Read 23924 times)

Lines

• Awakened
Re: ATTN CANADIANS!
« Reply #50 on: 26 Feb 2008, 08:15 »

The one on my campus makes them properly, but I wouldn't really know about anywhere else. Depends on who makes the mix, really. Once I had a chai from Panera that was a mix of water and mucus-like mix (it was an iced one), because the new guy made it and it was crap, but every other time I got it at the same store, it was fine.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Skinny Jeans

« Reply #51 on: 26 Feb 2008, 08:15 »

Its true they do taste watered down, however I still found myself wandering into Starbucks every day my senior year of high school before I wandered into my welding class first period.

Side note: whoever thought to put welding first period was a moron, trusting teens with fire hot enough to melt metal at 7:30 am was a ridiculous idea

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #52 on: 26 Feb 2008, 08:32 »

Not to mention the whole high voltage deal. And the blinding light. And the fumes. I can see it now- some poor kid, blind, electrocuted, on fire, with heavy metal poisoning. Not a great way to start your day.

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #53 on: 26 Feb 2008, 08:35 »

I like non-chain places largely because I don't know any chains that make bubble tea. However, this means that when I go to one of our local non-chain coffee shops, I just end up getting the bubble tea instead of the other great beverages they make.

really? i don't know where you live, but there's tap ex and quickly off the top of my head. quickly is particularly ubiquitous, i thought.

cupcakeonastick

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Balderdash!
« Reply #54 on: 26 Feb 2008, 08:43 »

What superfantasticalmagical coffee are you all drinking that Starbucks coffee could be called "awful" or other such colorful adjectives?

I'm digging the hyperbole here, but c'mon.

I love the atmosphere of an independent shop and often the product sold is a superior one, but I also have no problem sitting in a cozy starbucks with my black bold blend coffee or my occasional ridiculous cafe mocha. I also happen to love that the Target I work in has a Starbucks 5 feet away from the service desk. Temptation, thy name is.

If one drink is superior to a similar competing drink, that fact is enough for the first to stand on. By severely bashing the similar product, which does it's job of BEING coffee and TASTING like coffee just fine, you lose a bit of credibility.

I get that we all want to save the independent types sitting on the fringes of Big Bad Business but turning into a melodramatic snob about it doesn't really help the case.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2008, 09:52 by cupcakeonastick »
I've seen bears do things even a bear wouldn't do.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #56 on: 26 Feb 2008, 09:02 »

Did you know that the closest two Starbucks are in Portland, OR? They are twelve feet apart. I read that yesterday in a book my fiancee has called Starbucked. Can you imagine seeing two freaking Starbucks stores twelve feet from each other?

Uh...this?

This is also related.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #57 on: 26 Feb 2008, 09:20 »

I lied, I think. My friends work at Chapters and they're integrated with a Starbucks. I've had coffee there a couple of times.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #58 on: 26 Feb 2008, 09:36 »

Uh...this?

No way. If a coffee place were to open a separate location inside its own bathroom in Cambridge, it would most assuredly be a Dunkin' Donuts.

They recently put in a new Dunkin' Donuts at North Station in Boston. This would be useful if there weren't already a Dunkin' Donuts about thirty yards away. Unfortunately, there's a large support beam that blocks the view of it. I'd love to get a picture of the two juxtaposed.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #59 on: 26 Feb 2008, 09:50 »

Back in Providence the biggest building is the Dunkin Donuts Center. I totally just assumed Dunkin Donuts was based there until, well, I found out it wasn't.

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #60 on: 26 Feb 2008, 09:51 »

Man, I could really use a coffee right about now.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #61 on: 26 Feb 2008, 11:38 »

My problem with Starbucks is that their coffee is awful, not their business practices.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #62 on: 26 Feb 2008, 11:39 »

I've never had their regular coffee.  If I go, I usually get their hot chocolate with peppermint.  Yum!  If I'm desparate for caffeine, I usually get a triple shot latte or something, and espresso is so gross no matter where you get it that I don't fault Starbucks for the shit taste.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #63 on: 26 Feb 2008, 12:13 »

irjgsjiioekrgisjeuirhsjer something about coffee and tea

Roo I know I am always saying this, but remember, you live in Berkeley. If there's something you CAN'T find in Berkeley, I will give you a dollar.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #64 on: 26 Feb 2008, 15:15 »

Starbucks espresso is okay but I find that no matter where I get it, it tastes a little burnt and kind of bland. Very easy drinking, 'consumer-friendly' coffee, but that is okay because that is how they market. I would rate it on a similar scale to McCafe coffee. Gloria Jeans' coffee is slightly better with a bit more flavour and nice bitter crema, but my favourite brands are ones that we sell locally, such as Grinders, or Peaberrys, which is what my shop uses.
Then I work and live in the heart of Newcastle's cafe district, where there are cafes wall-to-wall down many of the main streets. I am completely spoiled for choice.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #65 on: 26 Feb 2008, 18:36 »

back when i was a delinquent youth and still thought petty theft was cool, me and my friend stole the cup at the tim hortons by our high school that had all the winning rims in it and enjoyed free food and coffee for a month.

that was probably the only time i've ever "participated" in this. here at guelph they actually encourage students not to buy tim horton's coffee during roll up the rim season, to generate less garbage and all that. what with all the hippie students and all.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #66 on: 26 Feb 2008, 18:46 »

irjgsjiioekrgisjeuirhsjer something about coffee and tea

Roo I know I am always saying this, but remember, you live in Berkeley. If there's something you CAN'T find in Berkeley, I will give you a dollar.

uh, remember, i have been to places besides berkeley!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #67 on: 26 Feb 2008, 20:13 »

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/01/18/1-coffee/

Oh shit dude, whoever wrote that just nailed us whiteys.

(and I call coffee robot juice because rstevens is a kewl dude)
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #68 on: 26 Feb 2008, 21:51 »

Tania, I think Guelph is pretty rad. Unlike not too far away in Waterloo, where we have three (maybe four? who's counting...) Tim Horton's on campus. And our students just voted to kill our campus radio. And everyone's always walking really fast everywhere and not stopping to smell flowers or say hi.
I am just a little bit jealous of your university's students.

I don't go to Tim Horton's because their coffee is junk. Also, I work on-campus at a place with good coffee that I can get for free whenever. Also I hate the fact that they're omnipresent and homogenizing.

bucky_2300

• Furry furrier
« Reply #69 on: 26 Feb 2008, 22:07 »

Tim Horton's coffee is junk. As a spoiled Vancouverfag that was weaned on various artsy Granville Island coffee shops, I reject your weak crap that seems to be favoured by natives of the prairie and atlantic provinces.
Click Here!

mooface

« Reply #70 on: 27 Feb 2008, 02:10 »

i win!

(my coffee is better than your coffee)

(i am proud of this even though i don't even like coffee)

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #71 on: 27 Feb 2008, 06:05 »

james, we have one starbucks on campus and the only reason i have ever given them my money is because of the fact that students got together and protested and threw things and MADE them offer fair trade coffee. we also have a wind-powered cafe. and voted to add an additional $10 on every student's tuition fees that will go towards retrofitting all the buildings on campus to make them more energy efficient.

i'm not trying to be smug here, guelph is really just sort of the best anything ever.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #72 on: 27 Feb 2008, 08:30 »

uh, remember, i have been to places besides berkeley!

My challenge still stands!

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #73 on: 27 Feb 2008, 16:30 »

Man, reading the engineering faculty newspaper makes me think that they are the problem. It's all 'conservative opinion' this and 'high tuition is a good thing but fees for things like the campus radio and public interest research group or student newspapers that aren't this one are not' that.
Can, like, the departments of pure and applied math just come hang out at Guelph with you guys? I would support a wind-powered cafe and stuff!

Also, bonus points for making sense of my second sentence there.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #74 on: 27 Feb 2008, 18:26 »

i win!

Interesting!  I'd wondered about that.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #75 on: 27 Feb 2008, 18:27 »

i'm not trying to be smug here, guelph is really just sort of the best anything ever.

Wow...

Do you guys have an art grad program?

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #76 on: 27 Feb 2008, 18:46 »

i'm not trying to be smug here, guelph is really just full of violent hippies.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #77 on: 27 Feb 2008, 18:51 »

Wow...

Do you guys have an art grad program?

Sure do! At least according to this.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #78 on: 28 Feb 2008, 13:51 »

Should warn everybody it's a PDF file. Those are hell on slow inter-nets like mine.

Somebody tell me it'll let me major in contemporary guitar.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #79 on: 28 Feb 2008, 14:10 »

My internets are fine, so it downloaded ok. And hey, I'm glad to have this! I don't have to ask for one on the website and then be bombarded with mailers! (But as it's in Canada, I doubt that'd happen.)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #80 on: 28 Feb 2008, 14:38 »

Sorry to be totally off-topic but that reminds me: Firefox locks up for a minute whenever I load or (this is the alarming part) close a pdf file. Does anyone else experience that?

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #81 on: 28 Feb 2008, 14:41 »

Yeah, pdf files always make my firefox slow down like hell for a while. I hate pdf solely for this reason.
Get off my land

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #83 on: 28 Feb 2008, 17:55 »

Sorry to be totally off-topic but that reminds me: Firefox locks up for a minute whenever I load or (this is the alarming part) close a pdf file. Does anyone else experience that?

I think it's happened before when I've downloaded, but not when closing. And it doesn't happen often.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #84 on: 29 Feb 2008, 00:28 »

I got a PDF download manager so that doesn't happen to me anymore.

Emily

« Reply #85 on: 29 Feb 2008, 07:40 »

I don't drink coffee or hot chocolate and I don't like doughnuts, but I still managed to win a bagel once off a cup of tea, I think.

Anyhow, if you're going to get coffee in Western Canada, I'll have to plug my former employer. Congrats for having generally decent management, most of the time. Coffeedrinkers I know are fans of their beans, so...yay?

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #86 on: 29 Feb 2008, 13:48 »

The sits name gave me a vague impression that their coffee/drinks are salty rather than sweet or bitter

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #87 on: 29 Feb 2008, 17:41 »

Anyhow, if you're going to get coffee in Western Canada, I'll have to plug my former employer. Congrats for having generally decent management, most of the time. Coffeedrinkers I know are fans of their beans, so...yay?

Huh! My good friend's family owns a cabin up on Salt Spring Island, and I spent a spring break up there with her a few years ago.  It's so tiny, though, I didn't know anyone had ever heard of it.  Gorgeous place, and, if it's as good as you say, at some point when I'm no longer unemployed, I'll buy a pound or two of the beans online.

frunK

« Reply #88 on: 01 Mar 2008, 04:44 »

I don't see why the two are being compared frankly.

Starbucks is a cafe(Like Coffee of Doom), it has fancy little faggy drinks like a Double Lowfat Soy Caramel Mint Steamed Matcha Latte or simular crap that makes me want to set a live human infant on fire. Not only that but they offer multiple different kinds of REAL coffee, like say French Roast or Kenya AA, however because Starbucks is retarded and does not train it's employees to pour out coffee that has been on the burner too long, rather to sell it because they think we're too stupid to tell the difference thus Kenya AA eventually will taste like French Roast and French Roast will taste like Horse Scrotum with extra AIDS.

Now Timmy's is different, Timmy's is doughnut shop coffee. There's one kind, nothing fancy, cream, sugar or black. And you know what? That one kind is good, nothing to change your pants over, it ain't Jamaican Blue Mountain made by a sexy naked super model coffee angel while Yngvie Malmsteen plays a motherfucking coffee solo of devine asskick BUT it's still a good blend and goes good with a maple doughnut.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2008, 04:47 by frunK »

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #89 on: 01 Mar 2008, 09:24 »

how can you say the two can't be compared when clearly you prefer one more than the other? sometimes people want coffee and sometimes they want fancy drinks that taste nice. there are places that serve both. the two aren't necessarily at war with each other.

i don't really buy coffee from either tim horton's or starbucks because i have concerns regarding starbucks' business practices and tim horton's frankly makes terrible coffee. still, i'd like to think ordering a soy mocha latte once in a while at a coffee shop that makes good coffee doesn't make me a pretentious or terrible person. maybe it tastes good. maybe i really enjoy soy milk. sometimes that is all there is to it.

frunK

« Reply #90 on: 01 Mar 2008, 10:25 »

fancy little faggy drinks

:|

address all complaints to my boyfriend

how can you say the two can't be compared when clearly you prefer one more than the other? sometimes people want coffee and sometimes they want fancy drinks that taste nice. there are places that serve both. the two aren't necessarily at war with each other.

i don't really buy coffee from either tim horton's or starbucks because i have concerns regarding starbucks' business practices and tim horton's frankly makes terrible coffee. still, i'd like to think ordering a soy mocha latte once in a while at a coffee shop that makes good coffee doesn't make me a pretentious or terrible person. maybe it tastes good. maybe i really enjoy soy milk. sometimes that is all there is to it.

Your right I do prefer one over the other, kind of like how stubbing my toe and eating a chocolate bar can't be compared however I do prefer one over the other.
It's not the fancy assed drinks that piss me off about starbucks though, and it's not the fact the clientelle is pretentious(that would make me a hypocrite, and it's bad enough I'm a pretentious jackass, I don't want to be a pretentious hypocritical jackass) it's the fact they might as well be McDonalds for the quality of their coffee. I much prefer going to a sit in fancy little coffee joint to going to Timmy's. If given the choice I would go to The Fyxx, a really awesome local chain in Winnipeg, my boyfriend says theres one or two in Vancouver as well. Point is they can actually make coffee that doesn't taste like goat ass. Drink all the damn soy milk you want, I don't care just don't do it at Starbucks.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2008, 10:39 by frunK »

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #91 on: 01 Mar 2008, 11:31 »

I would plug my old employer here but since very few of the people here live in California, which is where over 90% of the stores in that chain are, it would probably be moot.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #92 on: 01 Mar 2008, 12:08 »

Tell me anyway.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #93 on: 01 Mar 2008, 12:12 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peet's_Coffee_&_Tea

As a worker, the management was occasionally infuriating, but the coffee (drip and bar drinks) is so much better and the beans are even more so.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #94 on: 01 Mar 2008, 12:16 »

Dude Peet's is fuckin' great. My stepbrother works at the one in downtown Livermore.

He gets free coffee beans every week.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #95 on: 01 Mar 2008, 13:56 »

Interesting.  They sell Peet's coffees in the grocery store where we shop.  I may have to try some of it.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #96 on: 01 Mar 2008, 15:01 »

I have to say that the stuff you'll pick up in the grocery store won't be nearly as fresh as beans from an actual store, but they do roast-to-order on their website, and I believe they ship anywhere in the continental US. It'll be a bit more expensive, of course, but I would suggest trying that instead unless price is a big deal to you.

But yeah, I spent 3 years in high school working there, and had a good time despite occasional frustrations with management. The thing about working as a barista is that although you get the shitty customer moments that happen in any retail job, if you're there for long enough and good at your job the regular customers start to appreciate you, especially if you can remember their names and orders. Some of them would even hand out Christmas presents to the staff.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #97 on: 01 Mar 2008, 15:14 »

Yes, I know.  There was a little coffee shop on-campus when I was taking courses, and I could be eighth or ninth in line, and when I got to the front of the line, my order would be ready.  Of course, I always got the same thing, AND I tipped well.  They were a pretty cool bunch there, though.  (Not a Peet's, by the way.)
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #98 on: 02 Mar 2008, 11:15 »

I always liked it when my regulars came in to see me at work. I always knew what their usual orders were, and so while I was entering it into the register we would give each other a hard time and shoot the breeze and it made the job all kinds of good fun. I got so many "Man it's gonna suck when you have to leave" from them.

I had this one girl who came in a lot when I worked the counter. She always ordered the same thing, a vanilla iced coffee. I eventually got permanently assigned to drive-thru, and she'd still come in through counter once in a while (and when I saw her I'd immediately start work on it), but she even went so far as to enlist the help of a mutual friend just so she could say "Sup" at me. It was really sweet and I honestly can't wait to get back to work up there.

tl;dr regular customers are probably the thing that made me the happiest at work.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up