THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 16:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Endless Ocean  (Read 2351 times)

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
Endless Ocean
« on: 29 Feb 2008, 11:15 »

I'm not sure if many people here have heard of or played this game. Basically, you get to swim in the ocean and explore, and discover the different creatures that live there. I've had it for a few days, and have played twice, and I am pretty much in love with this game. It's so much fun, and very exciting. I mean today, I was just swimming along, and then all of the sudden this huge whale came swimming by. It was so awesome.

The game is educational, which I guess people view as a drawback. EGM published a review of it, where they basically mocked the game, saying it wasn't a game because it didn't have a story(lies. The game actually has a story as far as I can tell. It's about helping your shipmate over come her fear of swimming, and helping her fill an encyclopedia of ocean creatures, among other things.), as well as the fact that you don't have a health bar(also sort of a lie. You have a limited supply of oxygen, and while it's true that you don't die, if you run out of oxygen, your shipmate has to pull you back up to the boat.). They also complained that is was a game because you don't have obstacles(because I guess training your dolphin buddy to do tricks, as well as cataloging different sea creatures, and exploring certain parts of the ocean aren't obstacles). When someone wrote a letter to EGM about how it was silly of them not to review the game, because of the poor excuse of it not being an actual game, and how games like this should be encouraged because not only does it teach people something, but it also shows that not all games are all about violence and killing. EGM basically wrote back saying "education is boring."

So yeah. tl;dr version: Endless ocean is an awesome game. EGM thinks educational gaming is bad, and games should just be about killing(exaggeration on my part). What do you think?

Also, the game is beautiful and I love it, and I get to swim and play with whales and cephalopods! Hells yes!
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: Endless Ocean
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2008, 12:05 »

Even referring to it as an "educational game" is a misnomer. As far as I can tell, it's just supposed to be a non-violent, relaxing experience.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 29 Feb 2008, 20:43 »

Being a subscriber of EGM, I don't feel that they said, "EGM thinks educational gaming is bad," they just didn't feel there was anything there to review.  They do favor it highly in the video review up on their site though.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3 on: 29 Feb 2008, 22:28 »

I'm not really drawn to the game.  I like pretty things, and I like obsessively collecting things, but I also like being entertained at the same time, and the game doesn't sound like there's enough there to draw me in, educational or not.

I like Penny Arcade's take on it, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up