THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 00:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: contractions?  (Read 7208 times)

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
contractions?
« on: 26 Feb 2008, 20:42 »

I just realized something.  Why does Faye talk with so many contractions now?  Just a random character trait I remembered from way back, and it certainly seems like she's useing a lot of "I'm"s and 'Can't"s.  I don't know, maybe I'm just being silly, but I always imagined her speaking with a total LACK of any form of apostrophe'd words.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2008, 20:46 by Bearer »
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Bigbywolfe

Re: contractions?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2008, 21:55 »

She first started using contractions when drunk, which the characters in the comic pointed out.  She then started using them more often in general (especially around Marten at first, I think) which was also commented on in the comic.  After that she kept using them more and more frequently until her speech pattern became much more "normal".

AshiHalfangel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2008, 22:43 »

I think she used contractions because she feels more comfortable with the people she's around now. When she didn't at first, it was cause she was still trying to get used to Marten and everyone. Even Marten pointed out that when Faye was having problems with Raven that she had dropped her contractions because she was uncomfortable with her.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2008, 01:50 »

She started using contractions while sober somewhere around comic #203. Marten's pointing out that she was regressing happened in #338.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2008, 09:04 »

I think this was asked in the "Ask Jeph Questions" thread... I'm pretty sure he answered with something along the lines of "she just feels more comfortable with the people she's with, blah blah blah" --which in reality probably means he just kind of let it drop off as the comic went along beause although it doesn't seem like it, but it's kind of obnoxious to have to edit out contractions all of the time when they're such an embedded peice of our every-day language.
Pages: [1]   Go Up