THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 09:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Incoming: new Interpol  (Read 5267 times)

scarred

• Older than Moses
Incoming: new Interpol
« on: 19 Nov 2009, 21:05 »

Linky.

Quote from: That Fucking Article
The band recorded the album at New York's Electric Lady studio, and they've focused on returning to the stuff that people loved about the band in the first place. Fogarino says, "The new record falls back towards the first. In trying to move forward, there was an unspoken realization that you can't let go of your sonic-defining tag. There was an effort in Daniel [Kessler]'s guitar tone; he rediscovered it playing in his loft space for a year without anybody. The quality of that tone, played in a big room, is just beautiful. It creates an atmosphere ... That big wash of reverb? It's back."

Sounds more like the oldie than the newbie? I'm down for that.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: Incoming: new Interpol
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2009, 03:48 »

Our Love To Admire really put me off of Interpol, sadly. The first two were great, but I don't know that I'd even want to listen to this one, now.

Is there a term for that? Can we call it like...Bloc Party Syndrome?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Daft pun

• Curry sauce
  • hugs not ughs
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2009, 04:01 »

The last one was pretty dire that's for sure. I'll probably give this a listen when it leaks, but I won't be expecting much.
All this won't do you any good; you cannot return to the moon!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2009, 04:23 »

I'm sorry, but were the three albums really THAT different? I mean there were differences, but they seem to be implying that they were three totally different stylistic shifts and they're now going back to basics.

We are talking about the same band, right?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2009, 11:27 »

I still like Turn On the Bright Lights and Antics enough to give them another chance.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2009, 11:30 »

I loved the three albums. Awaiting their fourth one. Also, Paul Banks' one was really good too. Slightly more "upbeat", if you know what I mean. Really excited for that.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2009, 16:59 »

"Our Love to Admire" is certainly their weakest effort by far, but "Rest My Chemistry" is classic Interpol.

I'll be around for the next one.

Muffin_Buns

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2009, 18:33 »

Our Love to Admire wasn't that bad. I'm tired of people talking about it like it was this big steaming pile of shit, when in reality it just wasn't quite as good their first two. I still have high hopes.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2009, 18:46 »

An alright Interpol album is a good album by normal standards. In that case, Our Love to Admire is a good album.

What is great about the news is that they will follow it up with a tour. Which means I will go see them when they'll tour near me. Which is a good thing.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2009, 00:55 »

For me, Interpol are one of those bands that produce great half-albums i.e. half of the tracks on the album are good or better while the rest are pretty mediocre. It happened on Our Love To Admire aswell as Antics and Turn On The Bright Lights but I will definitely give it a listen even if only half of the songs are worth listening to again.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2009, 00:19 »

For me, Interpol are one of those bands that produce great half-albums i.e. half of the tracks on the album are good or better while the rest are pretty mediocre. It happened on Our Love To Admire aswell as Antics and Turn On The Bright Lights but I will definitely give it a listen even if only half of the songs are worth listening to again.

Definitely agree with this - I saw a review somewhere describe Antics as "A-Side/B-Side/A-Side/B-Side" etc and that pretty much sums it up. I don't think Our Love to Admire was dire but it certainly had a lot more misses, and unlike the first 2 albums I can't say I'm ever really drawn to listen to it again (a track or two from it? Sure. Just not the whole thing).

Hopefully they can remedy this with album. no 4. I really think they have the potential to make an amazing record, rather than "pretty-damn-good-but-not-quite-there" ones.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2009, 09:06 »

Even if I were to accept the premise that Interpol have ever written a good song (I haven't), you're telling me that it's pretty accepted that they basically have a strike rate of 50% across three albums? Fucking hell, why bother?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
    • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2009, 11:23 »

i've heard a few songs by this band.  well, i say "songs," i really mean "short arrangements of moody, cooler-than-thou, depressing aural slurry."

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #13 on: 22 Nov 2009, 13:20 »

I dunno, I refuse to acknowledge the insinuation that none of their songs are good, and I kind of appreciate their goofy posturing. I don't think it makes them look cool or whatever, but Carlos D wore a shoulder holster to shows because he thought it was badass. That's hilarious! I don't even understand what kind of image that's supposed to cultivate, but then again, who knew what the fuck Bowie was on about when he did the Thin White Duke? Although, I suppose the difference there is thast Bowie actually did look cool, and really, people did know what the fuck he was on about (cocaine).  Interpol are definitely very good with tone and atmosphere, and they're probably a lot stronger at being an idea of a cool band than actually being a cool band, but I adore Turn on the Bright Lights, so I'm sort of trapped.

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
« Reply #14 on: 22 Nov 2009, 21:19 »

who knew what the fuck Bowie was on about when he did the Thin White Duke?

Cocaine mostly.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #15 on: 22 Nov 2009, 21:46 »

...did you not read my whole post, or are you just chiming in to agree? I guess I don't have any problem with you agreeing with me on a fact; I just wouldn't want you to come away from this thinking you had added new information.

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
« Reply #16 on: 22 Nov 2009, 23:16 »

Let's chalk it up to me lacking reading comprehension and leave it at that.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #17 on: 23 Nov 2009, 19:55 »

The last Interpol record sounded like a bunch of guys got together to record an album making fun of Interpol. Anything that's a move away from that can only be good.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo
Pages: [1]   Go Up