THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Iron Man  (Read 62075 times)

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Re: Iron Man
« Reply #50 on: 03 Mar 2008, 02:43 »

I hate Tony Stark when he is sober.

I am overjoyed by the fact that he constantly seemed to be holding a glass of scotch in the trailer!

Also if they really are interconnecting all the Avengers members movies in the same continuity, does this mean they're going to get SLJ on a contract across all the movies to play Fury?

Someone please tell me they have thought this far ahead.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
« Reply #51 on: 06 Mar 2008, 04:08 »

I thought I was excited about The Dark Knight coming out this summer, but I think my excitement about Iron Man might just exceed it a little.

The trailers look sweet, even if there are too many spoilers, and I'm looking forward to see Robert Downey Jnr play Stark. Perfect casting in my opinion. I've also a lot of faith in Jon Favreau to direct this movie like a fan and not a hack like Michael Bay (Transformers).
She looked me over and I guess she thought I was all right...
All right in a sort of a limited way for an off night.

Fletch

« Reply #52 on: 06 Mar 2008, 08:05 »

Jeez ... for a moment, I thought you meant Harry Connick Jr & it scared the shit out of me.

I'll see this, but I'm not going in expecting anything ...

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #53 on: 07 Mar 2008, 15:15 »

Robert Downey Jr. is amazing period

My friend told me today they were making an iron man movie (I don't know how it escaped my notice).

I saw the trailer. I will see this movie.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #54 on: 11 Mar 2008, 16:17 »

I think Rhodes/War Machine was cooler than Stark/Iron Man, but this was also 10 years ago when I was actually reading comics.  I am looking forward to Iron Man, but I am on the edge of "skip it in theaters and wait for the dvd" just because of the hit or miss nature of comic book movies in general. 

That being said, "Made" was an excellent movie (I havent seen any of Favreau's other directorial works), and what has been shown so far (in the trailers) is great...

Also, I do understand the need to condense / change material to fit in a different format, but Spiderman 3 was a fucking joke.  The whole plot was trash, Venom (one of my two favorite characters in the entire marvel universe) was so horribly underdeveloped.  I wouldve preferred the Spiderman cartoon explanation for the suit (JJs son brings it back from space).  Apparently "3" makes comic book movies fucking awful  (think superman 3, batman 3).
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #55 on: 11 Mar 2008, 16:34 »

I want this movie to be as awesome as the idea of Iron Man is.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #56 on: 11 Mar 2008, 20:03 »

Also, I do understand the need to condense / change material to fit in a different format, but Spiderman 3 was a fucking joke.  The whole plot was trash, Venom (one of my two favorite characters in the entire marvel universe) was so horribly underdeveloped.  I wouldve preferred the Spiderman cartoon explanation for the suit (JJs son brings it back from space).  Apparently "3" makes comic book movies fucking awful  (think superman 3, batman 3).

The producers were probably worried that the general public was gonna claim this was a rip-off of the Fantastic Four bit where Dr. Doom got his powers from space and told them to rewrite it.  Not that this makes things better, but it's the only non-stupid explanation I can come up with.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #57 on: 12 Mar 2008, 06:24 »

Actually, the most logical explanation is the simplest one:

It would've added either an extra ten or so minutes of barely relevant plot or a huge jump in budget to accomodate an introduction scene. They don't have to go the full route of the cartoon, but in order for Spider-Man to logically have been exposed to it before someone else would be, it would have to have involved some form of rescue of John from a returning craft. In order to pull that off, they would have to throw in the rocket crash which is a very expensive kind of scene to make that probably would've pumped a large amount of cash from the budget. In order to keep it reasonable, they probably would've had to completely cut the Sandman. They could've gone various other routes, but all of them would've resulted in meaningless tangents. Coincidental meteorite strike is sound both budget and time constraint-wise. In the interest of being more logical without seeming irrelevant to the character or incredibly costly would be the idea from Ultimate Spider-Man. In that continuity, the symbiote was not an alien, but a genetic construct that Richard Parker (Peter's father) was working on before his death in an effort to treat cancer.

More on topic of Iron Man, I always found Stark much more interesting than Rhodes. Rhodes never really stood out as anything other than a generic military man. Stark as the alcoholic playboy was just a very deep and interesting character.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #58 on: 12 Mar 2008, 14:04 »

I think me liking Rhodes/WM over Stark/IM is a matter of how the armor looked... War Machine just looked more bad-ass, and being a teen boy who was into military stuff, I guess I just preferred the look of the WM armor over the regular armor.

On the tangent of Spiderman 3 - What I think pissed me off even more than the shitty venom (dont get me wrong, I did like Topher) is the MAJOR ret-con of the absolute single most defining moment in Spider-mans life.  Spider-Man is probably my favorite super hero of all time (not my favorite comic character) and I bought damn near every Spider-Man comic (yes, all 4, "Plain", Amazing, Spectactular, Web of) for many years.  I wouldve preferred them to pick one villan, either do Sandman, or do Venom, but not both.  Especially when the Spider-Man movies seem to be suffering from Batman syndrome, the inclusion of too many god damn villans.  A movie just dealing with the new Green Goblin, and the suit transition from Peter to Brock (and a fight between the new Venom and Spidey, possibly with Goblin thrown in wouldve been fine).  An idea I had before anything had been announced about Spidey3, except for Venoms inclusion was that, they kind of do something similar to the comic.  Rather than John Jameson be an astronaut, hes just a test pilot, gets hit by falling space junk (the suit), spidey of course rescues him, burns up part of his suit, and gets the symbiote in the process.

Anyway, sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

The Cheesinator

• Plantmonster
« Reply #59 on: 25 Mar 2008, 15:20 »

Stark is basically just a guy in a fancy suit.

Man, that's what I love about Iron Man. He's just a guy hanging out in the proverbial playground of superheroes. Although he does have that whole Extremis thing going on, would that count as a super-power?
This calls for a thumbs up.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #60 on: 25 Mar 2008, 17:38 »

That's also why I like Stark. Dude is basically Bruce Wayne if Bruce Wayne weren't batshit(hurhurhur) crazy about vengeance and married to the persona. He just funnels his money into being a badass and an asshole. A badasshole.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Exar_Kun

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Me Hawngry!
« Reply #61 on: 03 Apr 2008, 01:55 »

not to mention that Stark is 10x smarter than you or I will ever be.  I'm pretty sure this movie, like most other Marvel movies, has a chance to be abso-fucking-lutely awesome, just because Stan Lee has a hand in making it, he SHOULD have an idea as to what the heros should be like because he friggen created most of them.
Red Two: Look at the *size* of that thing!
Red Leader: Cut the chatter Red Two, accelerate to attack speed!

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #62 on: 03 Apr 2008, 11:28 »

Everything I've seen so far points to this movie being awesome. I've never been a huge Iron Man fan, and of course the recent Civil War stuff kind of turned me off to him even more, but still. Damn. If trailors can be any indication of a movie (which they can, sometimes) it looks like they've got the visual stuff down pat and the characterization looks like it could be the best from a Marvel movie yet.

And, I'm just so excited for an Avengers movie I can barely even think about it.

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #63 on: 04 Apr 2008, 00:16 »

Apparently "3" makes comic book movies fucking awful  (think superman 3, batman 3).

Don't forget X-Men 3.  What trash.
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #64 on: 04 Apr 2008, 07:00 »

It was almost worth sitting through X Men 3 to hear Kelsey Gramer say "Oh my stars and garters!"
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #65 on: 04 Apr 2008, 07:07 »

almost

muteKi

« Reply #66 on: 04 Apr 2008, 07:18 »

1 I am 18 and don't listen to a lot of heavy metal and as a result have never listened to the full version of the original Iron Man. I am decidedly familiar with the tune -- it's common for pep bands to play the main riff.
2 Movie seems pretty good. Might check it out if I get the opportunity.
3 JC, I couldn't find Dan's post on that page. Could someone direct me to it? The link doesn't take me to the comment specifically.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #67 on: 04 Apr 2008, 07:33 »

Don't forget Spider-Man 3, the worst offender. I could actually stand SOME of Batman Forever and didn't mind X-Men 3 all that much, but Spider-Man 3 was utter garbage.
JON MADE ME GAY

Thy Dungeonman

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #68 on: 04 Apr 2008, 08:04 »

Also, Blade Trinity. What a joke.

talon

« Reply #69 on: 18 Apr 2008, 17:41 »

i'm way excited for this movie but has anyone else like me had to cut themselves off from watching any new publicity to leave a little surprise and anticipation for May 2. its a difficult thing to ignore all the movie buzz sites who tell me there's a new trailer, tv spot, or movie still... i'm glad incredible hulk and dark knight are still keeping things somewhat of a secret with only one main trailer. none the less, i will be in line for some rober downey jr. robot-on-robot action come may.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #70 on: 19 Apr 2008, 12:46 »

When you figure that out, can you let the rest of us know?  That movie was a definite let down.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

muteKi

« Reply #71 on: 20 Apr 2008, 19:32 »

^^
It was only a let-down if you expected something of it.
I did not; in fact I never bothered to check it out. As a result I am happy.

Also, does anyone ever watch The Onion News Network? They had a somewhat amusing clip about the Iron Man movie and trailer.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #72 on: 20 Apr 2008, 20:38 »

I quite enjoyed $pider-man 3.  Of course, I'll never buy it, because it just doesn't hold a candle to 2.  I'm willing to let that be the end of Pete's story.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #73 on: 20 Apr 2008, 20:49 »

Then we just have to wait 7 more years before someone decides to try a reboot.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #74 on: 20 Apr 2008, 22:20 »

5 actually. But yeah, I nearly left the theatre when Parker started dancing in the street.

and links, muteki, we need links if you want us to know what you know.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #75 on: 20 Apr 2008, 22:38 »

Guys, this movie comes out on the 2nd (in the states) and the very next day is free comic book day! This could be the a super fun weekend!

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #76 on: 21 Apr 2008, 00:13 »

I am obviously the only person who enjoyed every second of Spiderman 3, huh? Also I have heard that they are doing 3 more Spiderman films but they are apparently dropping Raimi from the directors seat. I'm a little worried though, Spiderman 3 defintely suffered from having too many villains and they only had three! In the rumoured Spiderman 4 they want to have six! THAT WOULD NOT WORK!!!!!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #77 on: 21 Apr 2008, 01:29 »

I am obviously the only person who enjoyed every second of Spiderman 3, huh?

It's own stupidity was entirely redeeming.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #78 on: 21 Apr 2008, 11:28 »

When Peter was strutting down the street, I just laughed and laughed.  I really did enjoy the movie.  Unfortunately, it just didn't hold up the promise that 2 made.  The alien, Sandman, Brock, Harry, and Peter having to deal with Spidey's acceptance by the public?  WAY too much for a single movie.  They should've done what Raimi suggested and chucked most of that; he found the Sandman to be the most interesting of the villains.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #79 on: 21 Apr 2008, 12:10 »

Guys, the Spiderman movies were terrible. All three. That was the worst Peter Parker even conceived in the history of any medium ever.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #80 on: 21 Apr 2008, 12:25 »

Spider-Man 2 was fantastic, you tit.

The other two were absolute garbage, though.
JON MADE ME GAY

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #81 on: 21 Apr 2008, 14:31 »

No way.....Spiderman 2 was terrible.  I think they get more terrible in a progressive scale.  Spiderman 2 was terrible because it became a soap opera.  I don't CARE about Peter Parker's problems.  I found it interesting that Spiderman is poor and stuff....but all of the emotional angst just bugged the living crap out of me.  Spiderman 3 was just....eugh....it would have been better if they.....well...if they didn't do anything that they did.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #82 on: 21 Apr 2008, 15:24 »

Then you're clearly not the type of person that the movie was aimed at.

As a longtime fan of Spider-Man, the whole point of the character was that he was just a regular guy with regular problems who also happened to be a superhero. Spider-Man 2 was the only one that really captured that.
JON MADE ME GAY

frullic

• Furry furrier
  • Warning: Contents under parental pressure.
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #83 on: 21 Apr 2008, 16:19 »

Personally I have to say that most movies nowadays are crappy so I think hopes should stay low.
BTW Transformers was pure septic residue!
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #84 on: 21 Apr 2008, 20:11 »

I think the sentence 'most _________ are shit nowadays" to be one of the most hilariously incorrect and ignorant things a person could ever possibly say.

Also this comes out in a week and two days! This is the maddest note.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #85 on: 21 Apr 2008, 20:20 »

I think the sentence 'most _________ are shit nowadays" to be one of the most hilariously incorrect and ignorant things a person could ever possibly say.

It's a very ancient, and unoriginal, philosophy.  Read Ecclesiastes some time.  But only when you're in the mood to be really emo.

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #86 on: 21 Apr 2008, 20:29 »

So, to summarize the last few posts: everything is the worst thing ever.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #87 on: 22 Apr 2008, 18:23 »

But the burning question: has everything been ruined forever?

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #88 on: 22 Apr 2008, 18:29 »

So, Iron Man's going to be really awesome, huh?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #89 on: 22 Apr 2008, 21:41 »

Then you're clearly not the type of person that the movie was aimed at.

As a longtime fan of Spider-Man, the whole point of the character was that he was just a regular guy with regular problems who also happened to be a superhero. Spider-Man 2 was the only one that really captured that.

Also, the impotence subtext really spoke to Jon.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #90 on: 23 Apr 2008, 08:22 »

I think the sentence 'most __turds___ are shit nowadays" to be one of the most hilariously incorrect and ignorant things a person could ever possibly say.

Pretty sure that one's correct.

I'll go and sit in my corner and think about what I've done.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #91 on: 23 Apr 2008, 13:40 »

I liked it.

muteKi

« Reply #92 on: 23 Apr 2008, 19:48 »

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #93 on: 23 Apr 2008, 19:57 »

"In other news, 23 people were bruised when a man went on a punching spree--"

I thought the Iron Man satire was funny, but that end was the best part.

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #94 on: 01 May 2008, 15:36 »

Saw it just a while ago. I don't really know what to say.

But in a good way. Oh what a good way!

I'm loving what they're doing with these comic book heroes. RDJ was perfectly cast, as was Gwyneth Paltrow. I didn't once feel the direction or editing was off. The action was good, and the CGI was... unnoticeable. It looked so damn' sweet.

The baddies coulda been better, but great performances by our heroes (including Stark's AIs) more than made up for their shortcomings.

With almost all the super-hero movies I've seen in the past few years, I've felt like they've been too short. Not so with Iron Man, but I mean that in a good way as well. It was a very satisfying movie experience.

Warmly recommended. Stay until the end of the credits for the sweetest surprise. I didn't, and hearing about what I missed caused me MUCH ANGUISH :(
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #95 on: 01 May 2008, 15:42 »

you guys must be on the other side of the world from me, because it's not tomorrow yet in my neck of the woods.

it's still today, unfortunately. i really wanna see this.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #96 on: 01 May 2008, 16:01 »

Apparently "3" makes comic book movies fucking awful  (think superman 3, batman 3).

Wait, you thought Batman Forever was worse than Batman & Robin?  Need I remind you of the Nipple suit?  And Ah-nuld as Dr. Freeze?

I've always enjoyed Iron Man, mostly cause he is a recovering alchy, which gives him sort of a anti-hero thing.

Best line from an Iron Man comic:  "Oh, god, don't let me puke inside the helmet again."
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #97 on: 01 May 2008, 18:25 »

The thing is, Batman Forever was just good enough to be taken seriously, so its able to be criticized for all its (myriad) failures. Batman and Robin, on the other hand, you couldn't take even a second of as anything other than some kind of highly elaborate postmodernist joke Joel Schumacher was having on everyone.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #98 on: 01 May 2008, 18:39 »

But but but so many incredible puns!

Cop: Please show some mercy!
Freeze: I'm afraid my condition has left me cold to your pleas of mercy.

Mr. Freeze: Ice to see you!

Mr. Freeze: What killed the dinosaurs? The Ice Age!

Mr. Freeze: Cool party!

Mr. Freeze: Allow me to break the ice. My name is Freeze. Learn it well. For it's the chilling sound of your doom.

Mr. Freeze: Let's kick some ice!

I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #99 on: 02 May 2008, 05:07 »

The only good thing about Batman Forever was Uma Thurman in spandex.  The rest of the movie was horrible - the acting, the sets, etc.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up