THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Iron Man  (Read 62043 times)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: Iron Man
« Reply #150 on: 08 May 2008, 10:31 »

Honestly, considering it comes out mere months before Avengers, I'd say the vast majority should take place in the World War II era. Freeze him about twenty minutes before the ending and have it end with him being thawed, freaking the fuck out and then recruit him for the Initiative. Cliffhanger movie endings are okay when they're being followed up upon shortly.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #151 on: 08 May 2008, 10:37 »

That idea really appeals to me. That would be amazing - but I doubt that's what's going to happen. They'll probably just give us a cop-out and make Cap fighting the Al-Queda...

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #152 on: 08 May 2008, 10:39 »

I disagree. I think each character's movies should be able to stand completely alone as an introduction to them so that they are fully established for Avengers. 20 minutes of character development of him in the present isn't enough to have an established character in the Avenger movie, no matter what they do with him in WW2 era.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #153 on: 08 May 2008, 12:10 »

Except that's exactly what they did in Ultimates. They just thawed him out and explained things as it went. Sure, it was a team book, but Cap was definitely the central figure for most of it, and they chose to focus on his being in the wrong time and place. Which, I think would work well as an Avengers movie. I would love the idea of the Cap movie all set in WWII and then being thawed out right at the end of his movie or the beginning of the Avengers movie.

Though, that idea about the WWII part being stylized could be really cool. Almost like a living newsreel or something.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #154 on: 08 May 2008, 12:17 »

I know, I love the Ultimates, but I'd really rather the movie be about the team dynamic as a whole and not waste too much time focusing on specific people. They can still have him play off of the rest of the team's modern views of the world after they establish him fully as a fish out of water in his own movie.

Yeah, they should totally make the WW2 portion of Captain America as stylized and propaganda-esque as possible, actually, since that's what the comics were. Make it "BUY WAR BONDS"-y as hell, completely in the style of the 30s/40s.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #155 on: 08 May 2008, 12:28 »

Am I the only one who thinks the Avengers movie could quite possibly be a mess?  I mean, with Ant-Man being a "comedy/action" film, Iron Man being super-stylized and hip, the Hulk being very brooding and dark, and Captain America being either a cheezy Nazi-fightin' good ole boy or... whatever else... and who knows what the fuck the Thor movie will be like... it just seems like the character interaction could be really off.  Downey Jr. and Norton can probably have a good dynamic together, but I just... really don't know about the whole idea.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #156 on: 08 May 2008, 12:33 »

Considering the fact that most of those characters managed to mesh in the comics close to fifty years ago, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
JON MADE ME GAY

SailorPunk

• Obscure cultural reference
    • http://www.xanga.com/moonrose
« Reply #157 on: 08 May 2008, 12:36 »

GUYS! am i the only one who actually started to like iron man more BECAUSE he was such a douchbag in civil war?? i mean he'd always been a douchbag, but in civil war he upped it like a millionty. but he thought he was doing good and he stuck with it and i kinda started to love him

anyone else????

also, movie kicked ass.
...really polite and kind of squishy...

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #158 on: 08 May 2008, 12:40 »

Actually, that's pretty much how I felt.
JON MADE ME GAY

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #159 on: 08 May 2008, 12:41 »

Considering the fact that most of those characters managed to mesh in the comics close to fifty years ago, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I stopped reading superhero comics in 1988 but I really don't recall the Avengers as being anything other than kind of silly and typically comic-book-ish, like the Fantastic Four (and look how great those movies turned out).

I'm just doubting that within the span of a 2-hour movie they will manage to pull all the heroes together, get the interactions right, and also have time left for an exciting plot.

What would be really great is if they would make a New Mutants film that captured the feel of the first 50 or so issues of that comic - very dark and emotional.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #160 on: 08 May 2008, 12:44 »

zerodrone, go find a way to read Ultimates.

That's the kind of thing I'm hoping for for the Avengers movie. Not nearly as dark and cruel as the actual comics, but the same general theme of a bunch of superheroes thrown together to fight menaces bigger than themselves despite the fact that they actually aren't much as a team until it matters.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #161 on: 08 May 2008, 12:50 »

It managed to work fine for X-Men, which was essentially Avengers with racism. You seem to be forgetting the fact that Fury's obviously rounding them up in the continuity of the solo flicks. By the time they actually do Avengers, they should be able to jump into the team without more than maybe twenty minutes of exposition (Which would probably be Cap acclimating to the modern age). This would essentially put it more in line with X2 where the team was already established.

Basically, they're doing this the exact correct manner by introducing the characters individually before making the team flick. That's why Avengers easily works as a movie (As would JLA): each member of the roster is sufficient to carry their own flick (With a few exceptions), whereas Wolverine (And MAYBE Gambit) is really the only X-Man who is popular enough to carry his own movie, meaning they had to flesh out each and every X-Man in the team movie.

And we've already had five New Mutants films. Though they changed the name to Harry Potter for some reason (Seriously, all ten angst with magic/super power movies are the same thing).
JON MADE ME GAY

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #162 on: 08 May 2008, 12:58 »

Have you actually read the very early New Mutants issues?  They were a hell of a lot darker and more interesting than Harry freakin' Potter.   :x

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #163 on: 08 May 2008, 13:13 »

I've been reading Marvel comics since I was eight and still read them. New Mutants, regardless of which era you go for, is essentially the same teen angst thing everyone else has done ever. You'd be better served with a Runaways movie if you were going to translate a Marvel teen comic.
JON MADE ME GAY

carrotosaurus

• Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #164 on: 08 May 2008, 13:23 »

Speaking of teen angst, they should do X-Statix.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #165 on: 08 May 2008, 13:30 »

Um wha? X-Statix wasn't a teen book...
JON MADE ME GAY

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #166 on: 08 May 2008, 14:36 »

I've been reading Marvel comics since I was eight and still read them. New Mutants, regardless of which era you go for, is essentially the same teen angst thing everyone else has done ever.

I still maintain it is more fundamentally interesting.  With characters like Warlock and Rahne I thought it was darker and more enjoyable for a mature audience than Harry Potter.

Regardless, saying it's "the same teen angst thing" is a cop-out; most comic book movies are "the same misunderstood vigilante thing".

Dissy

• The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #167 on: 08 May 2008, 15:43 »

I know, I love the Ultimates, but I'd really rather the movie be about the team dynamic as a whole and not waste too much time focusing on specific people. They can still have him play off of the rest of the team's modern views of the world after they establish him fully as a fish out of water in his own movie.

Yeah, they should totally make the WW2 portion of Captain America as stylized and propaganda-esque as possible, actually, since that's what the comics were. Make it "BUY WAR BONDS"-y as hell, completely in the style of the 30s/40s.

And he needs to have the WWII Cap uniform, the one from Ultimates, and Ultimate Alliance.   The middle one
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #168 on: 08 May 2008, 16:38 »

It's kind of funny that they're planning an Avengers movie when Edward Fucking Norton is the Hulk. He'll demand 50 million dollars and still phone it in, provided they don't let him write the thing.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #169 on: 08 May 2008, 17:48 »

I've been reading Marvel comics since I was eight and still read them. New Mutants, regardless of which era you go for, is essentially the same teen angst thing everyone else has done ever. You'd be better served with a Runaways movie if you were going to translate a Marvel teen comic.

I would love to see a live action version of Pixie, Santos, and Anole, but then again I would also love to see Gurt, Victor, and Molly.  CHOICES!!!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #170 on: 08 May 2008, 22:00 »

And he needs to have the WWII Cap uniform, the one from Ultimates, and Ultimate Alliance.   The middle one

Yeah, I love that costume.

All of those suffer from pouch syndrome, though. Why the fuck does he need ten pouches? It's not like he ever uses anything but his shield.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #171 on: 09 May 2008, 01:54 »

I stopped reading superhero comics in 1988

Whoo boy.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #172 on: 09 May 2008, 04:49 »

He needs the pouches for all the first aid supplies he should be carrying, besides every military uniform needs lots of pockets and pouches.  It's just the way it is.  British, Cdn and US uniforms have had at least 2-4 pockets since 1900 just on the tunic.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #173 on: 09 May 2008, 15:40 »

I stopped reading superhero comics in 1988

Whoo boy.

What?  They just stopped interesting me.  Is it that unusual to "grow out of" comic books?

I still read stuff like Transmetropolitan and sometimes re-read Watchmen, Love and Rockets, and Sandman.

And the first six volumes of ElfQuest, even though it makes me feel like a new-age hippie to do so.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #174 on: 10 May 2008, 00:45 »

I was born when you stopped reading comic books.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #175 on: 10 May 2008, 00:50 »

I had pretty much that same thought
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #176 on: 10 May 2008, 02:46 »

Oh.

Yeah, I'm old.  I still look young though!  I have no interest in ever stopping listening to good new music, doing certain drugs, going to shows, etc.  Fuck "settling down", yo.

Shit the other guitar player in my band is 37 and looks (and sometimes acts) much younger than I do.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #177 on: 11 May 2008, 16:58 »

Finally saw this movie today and yes, it was freaking awesome. Definitely one of the best comic book movies to come out lately, if ever.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

DoubleAW

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Crazy Kid Genius
    • Hur.
« Reply #178 on: 11 May 2008, 18:15 »

"I'd like to talk to you about the Avenger Initiative."

I practically creamed my pants.
o hi.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #179 on: 12 May 2008, 03:04 »

Good Christ, I haven't had that much outright fun watching a superhero film in a very long time.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #180 on: 12 May 2008, 07:51 »

The Vanity Fair reporter chick... was she high?  Because she looked like she was tweaking on coke when they were getting it on.

Other than that, the movie was awesome sauce.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #181 on: 12 May 2008, 08:13 »

I thought she looked like she was trying to kill him or something. But I loved Paltrow's line about taking out the trash afterwards, hehe.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #182 on: 12 May 2008, 08:34 »

I think the idea with the Vanity Fair reporter was that she was all set to hate him because she really thought he was a warmonger, but he charmed her pants off and she didn't need any coke because Stark's huge, throbbing ego turned loose her inner animal.

But she was just a one-nighter after all (Stark didn't remember her name later), and when she tried to talk trash to Pepper, Pepper got to slam her down.  That was cool.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #183 on: 12 May 2008, 22:44 »

The Vanity Fair reporter chick... was she high?  Because she looked like she was tweaking on coke when they were getting it on.

Other than that, the movie was awesome sauce.
Yeah, I was watching with my cousin and he turned to me during that scene and said "what the fuck is she doing? That's not sex."

Anyway, after a week or so of distance I've decided that it was a fun movie that had a lame villain and underutilized Terrance Howard. Here's to the sequel.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

cgarci21

• Shagtastic
« Reply #184 on: 13 May 2008, 22:35 »

This was freaking awesome...period.

SLJ at the end ftw.
You know how animals can sense a tsunami coming before humans notice? I'm like that, only for sexy things. -Dora Bianchi

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #185 on: 13 May 2008, 22:37 »

Yeah, I was watching with my cousin and he turned to me during that scene and said "what the fuck is she doing? That's not sex."

Clearly you people are doing it wrong.   :wink:

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #186 on: 14 May 2008, 01:39 »

Clearly you people are doing it wrong. Do more cocaine.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #187 on: 14 May 2008, 02:17 »

teh pwn queen

• Capiam vos in obscurum
    • Just fucking click it
« Reply #188 on: 14 May 2008, 05:02 »

See? I can do it too...
I haven't logged in on the forum in literally 10 years and my website URL was still my MySpace profile...

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #189 on: 14 May 2008, 08:54 »

I enter this thread to find a picture of Sweet Tooth from Twisted Metal, and Dr. Roxo The Rock N' Roll clown from Metalocalypse. What the hell man?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #190 on: 14 May 2008, 09:44 »

Jesus everytime I come in this thread I end up spending hours on Wikipedia reading comic book articles.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #191 on: 14 May 2008, 09:58 »

You make it sound like a bad thing.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #192 on: 14 May 2008, 10:55 »

That reminds, me what does Vanity Fair actually cover?  I thought they were a fashion/general home making magazine.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #193 on: 14 May 2008, 10:57 »

I think it's your basic gossip rag. A guy like Tony Stark would definitely end up in there.
JON MADE ME GAY

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #194 on: 14 May 2008, 14:03 »

[Sweet Tooth]

See? I can do it too...

No, see, the point was that Dr. Roxo was on Cocaine, not that he was a scary clown.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #195 on: 14 May 2008, 17:18 »

[Sweet Tooth]

See? I can do it too...

No, see, the point was that Dr. Roxo was on Cocaine, not that he was a scary clown.

lulz "I DO COCAINNEEEE GU GU GU YYEEEEAAAAHHHHHH"

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #196 on: 14 May 2008, 23:37 »

Jesus everytime I come in this thread I end up spending hours on Wikipedia reading comic book articles.

I'll be honest with you, after the Pokemon thread I did the same thing. I don't regret it.
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

teh pwn queen

• Capiam vos in obscurum
    • Just fucking click it
« Reply #197 on: 15 May 2008, 01:30 »

[Sweet Tooth]

See? I can do it too...

lulz "I DO COCAINNEEEE GU GU GU YYEEEEAAAAHHHHHH"

Pssh, who cares... I just wanted to put up Sweet Tooth... any reason (albeit stretched...) would of suffice.
thankyouverymuchgoodnight.
I haven't logged in on the forum in literally 10 years and my website URL was still my MySpace profile...

Mr. Mojo

« Reply #198 on: 15 May 2008, 06:18 »

it's been ages since i've played twisted metal.

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #199 on: 22 May 2008, 03:12 »

I was going to make a thread on the main board about this but then once I had calmed down some I realized that maybe it really didn't merit it's own thread since apparently it's still in the early stages.

Along with characters such as Thor, Captain America, Ant-Man, Nick Fury and The Avengers, Marvel has recently announced that Runaways is going to be adapted into a movie as well. Since this is a series that I love my first intial thought was "Oh fuckballs yes", with the obvious "Oh shit, wait..." followed closely behind. Brian K Vaughn (Series creator/writer) is going to handle the script. Read the link below for more info:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22618
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up