THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 19:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iron Man  (Read 62106 times)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: Iron Man
« Reply #200 on: 22 May 2008, 06:47 »

As long as Vaughan stays on script duties, it'll be fine.

Runaways is easily one of the most simple to translate comic properties out there. The only difficulties they COULD run into are Karoline's powers and the Giborim themselves (If they even make it in). The entire initial cast, aside from Karoline and Molly, is made up of baseline humans with some form of gimmick (The fistigons should be easy enough and Gert's raptor won't be anything difficult). It's also a rather new property, meaning it'll be easy to translate. Hell, the first volume can be read easily in an hour or two.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #201 on: 22 May 2008, 12:50 »

There are some murmurs 'round places that given the broad success of the lighthearted first movie Marvel is having second thoughts about exploring Stark's alcoholism in the sequel. I'm skeptical, but with movie execs you never know.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #202 on: 22 May 2008, 14:38 »

I seriously do not want Iron Man 2 to have any fucking thing to do with Stark being an alcoholic.  Nobody does, in fact.  The movie is so good because he's a hard-partying wise-ass, I do not want the sequel to call for Downey Jr to reprise his role from Less Than Zero.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #203 on: 22 May 2008, 15:21 »

I'd heard that they were thinking of making a whole series of Iron Man movies, and read a quote from RDJ saying he'd do 15 of 'em, because he's a huge Iron Man. That's a lot, but if they did several, it might not be too awful if they explored Stark's problems a few movies down the road.  In the Marvel Universe, this is what happened, and Rhodey took over for a while (which is why he looked at the suit and said "Next time"), so it would be canonical.

Once the franchise has been established and kicked ass a few times, it might not be bad for a change of pace.  But doing it in the very first sequel would be a mistake.  They need to build a little more momentum up first.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #204 on: 22 May 2008, 15:26 »

I seriously do not want Iron Man 2 to have any fucking thing to do with Stark being an alcoholic.  Nobody does, in fact.

Ummm, I'm pretty sure just about every fan of the character would be effectively bullshit if they didn't cover it. Stark's struggle with alcoholism was one of the most definitive and intriguing storylines ever put down in comics. I'd be willing to put down money that you're in the minority on not wanting to see it.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #205 on: 22 May 2008, 19:21 »

Captain America will be set in WW2 (darn), comes out May 6, 2011, McConaughey as Rogers is completely unfounded and probably not true, and his shield was in Iron Man, according to Marvel.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #206 on: 22 May 2008, 20:19 »

Ummm, I'm pretty sure just about every fan of the character would be effectively bullshit if they didn't cover it. Stark's struggle with alcoholism was one of the most definitive and intriguing storylines ever put down in comics. I'd be willing to put down money that you're in the minority on not wanting to see it.

I myself am fairly tired of all of the, "Stark is an alcoholic," jokes.  Then again, the only other jokes people make is that he is an ass.  Personally, I would love to see Armor Wars done.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #207 on: 04 Jun 2008, 13:40 »

Honestly, I liked enough of the sly little nods to Tony's drinking, I don't necessarily want it to be the centrepiece of the sequel if they are seriously going to make a franchise from Iron Man. Maybe make it a little bit more obvious in the sequel, and save the full blown alcoholism conflict for a post-avengers movie?

I just really enjoyed Stark being a partyboy and having a good time. Really, you need to build up the character more than has already been done for an alcoholism storyline to have real impact.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #208 on: 05 Jun 2008, 12:08 »

Exactly.  Iron Man worked so well as a movie because it avoided the angst that turned a lot of people off Spiderman 3 (and, to a lesser extent, 2).  Tony Stark was pissed about something that really mattered to people other than himself, and he didn't sit around and brood, he went and blew shit up.  Bringing in an alcoholism story in the very first sequel would be terrible for the average movie-goer, regardless of how many comic book nerds it would appease.

Besides which, by ending the movie with him coming out and saying "I am Iron Man", it pretty well guarantees the main subplot of the next one will be how to deal with someone who is publically and admittedly a superhero.  I wouldn't be surprised if it opens with him getting arrested or some such, and then released into government (ie Nick Fury) custody.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #209 on: 05 Jun 2008, 14:52 »

Stark, at least as portrayed in the film, is such an individualist and type A personality, that I really don't see him meshing well with a governmental paramilitary organization.  That right there is going to generate a lot of story, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up