THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The 'Musicals Suck' Thread  (Read 58151 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: The 'Musicals Suck' Thread
« Reply #100 on: 07 Mar 2008, 14:20 »

"That's no moon."
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #101 on: 07 Mar 2008, 14:23 »

"No matter how many times your dad tries to kill you, he's still a pretty ok guy deep down"

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #102 on: 07 Mar 2008, 14:46 »

Can you explain the 'great social commentary' in Star Wars?

"Great" is obviously an exagerration, but the whole film pretty much encapsulates the vibe of early-70s America WRT, as I said before, the "establishment", rebellion, drug and spiritual subcultures, control and bureaucracy.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #103 on: 07 Mar 2008, 15:03 »

because star wars isn't at all a musical:

Evil Dead: The Musical
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrDui7xeGv0
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2008, 03:54 by StaedlerMars »
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Beastmouth

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #104 on: 07 Mar 2008, 19:42 »

"Great" is obviously an exagerration, but the whole film pretty much encapsulates the vibe of early-70s America WRT, as I said before, the "establishment", rebellion, drug and spiritual subcultures, control and bureaucracy.

How?  I would contend that it is far too polarized to discuss those times at all.
Quote from: Lao_Tse
The song that can be sung is not the great Song.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #105 on: 07 Mar 2008, 20:10 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1lYCbjzQ4I

(Warning: may not make sense to people outside Australia.)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #106 on: 07 Mar 2008, 20:28 »

How?  I would contend that it is far too polarized to discuss those times at all.

Are you familiar with the concept of allegory?

The Empire = The State.  Bureaucracy.  Control.  The same way he explored it in THX-1138, only with costumes on.  The denial of the spiritual in favour of a purely utilitarian ethic.

The Rebellion = Uh, rebellion.  Protest.  The acknowledgment of variety in the human experience.  Individuality.

Obi Wan Kenobi = Timothy Leary or any other spiritual guru archetype of the time.  Opening Luke's eyes to "the Force", an unscientific hippie-dippie force of unifying energy that runs throughout all life.

Han Solo = Moral greyness; the concept of being a good person who does "bad" things because of a stifling and oppressive system.

Etc., Etc.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #107 on: 07 Mar 2008, 20:40 »

Bat Boy: The Musical is pretty good.
Hate, rain on me

Beastmouth

« Reply #108 on: 07 Mar 2008, 21:25 »

Are you familiar with the concept of allegory?

The Empire = The State.  Bureaucracy.  Control.  The same way he explored it in THX-1138, only with costumes on.  The denial of the spiritual in favour of a purely utilitarian ethic.

The Rebellion = Uh, rebellion.  Protest.  The acknowledgment of variety in the human experience.  Individuality.

Obi Wan Kenobi = Timothy Leary or any other spiritual guru archetype of the time.  Opening Luke's eyes to "the Force", an unscientific hippie-dippie force of unifying energy that runs throughout all life.

Han Solo = Moral greyness; the concept of being a good person who does "bad" things because of a stifling and oppressive system.

Etc., Etc.

What does Han Solo do that's bad?  Not take a freaking space freighter on the initial Death Star attack?

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #109 on: 07 Mar 2008, 21:42 »

Han Solo is introduced as a criminal.

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #110 on: 08 Mar 2008, 01:06 »

I, for one it seems, really like Star Wars just because it's so damn kitsch. Never thought about that one Jackie.
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #111 on: 08 Mar 2008, 01:11 »

I personally like Star Wars because lightsabers are cool, space combat is awesome, the Force is sweet and Han Solo kicks a million kinds of ass.

sandman263

• Plantmonster
« Reply #112 on: 08 Mar 2008, 04:13 »

Argh. Just, argh.

it's what Al Gore invented it for.

I'm assuming this is a joke.

(Why did you capitalize "internet?"  It isn't a proper noun, you know.)

Internet is a proper noun because it refers to a specific iteration of an interconnected network.

Musicals suck and unless it's the aforementioned Hedwig you'll never get me to agree otherwise. Discuss.

Why would we want to try to change your admitted unchangeable subjective opinion? I like musicals and I have better things to do with my time than try to change your mind. After being away from the board for a few weeks, it's depressing this is what I come back to.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #113 on: 08 Mar 2008, 04:37 »

Inspired by this thread, and a sense of "Perhaps I'll be able to appreciate musicals more now that I've gotten a bit older and gotten into some more music", I actually rented West Side Story last night, and watched the whole thing.

To put it simply, it was a painful experience.

Yes, the songs are well written and catchy and so on, and the plot and acting certainly wasn't too bad. But as a whole it's just so freaking awkward. The songs are unwelcome breaks in the movie, sound terrible (I guess I'm not "eclectic" or "open-minded" enough for terrible 50's pop tunes), and as a whole the movie dragged out and was quite insufferable. From what I understand, WSS was/is supposed to be one of the best musicals ever, and if that's the best that this genre can give, well, here's hoping that no musical is ever released again.

The only song that wasn't epic fail in a musical was 'Climb every mountain' from The Sound of Music, which is undeniably huge. Other then that, though, this genre of films was terrible and I'm glad that it's dying out- well, in Hollywood anyway.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #114 on: 08 Mar 2008, 04:41 »

Probably because it's a lot of bullshit?

You're right, tommy.  Analysing pop culture is stupid.  Whatever was I thinking.

:roll:

rancidhooligan

« Reply #115 on: 08 Mar 2008, 05:14 »

Argh. Just, argh.

You okay?  Sounds like you stubbed your toe.

I'm assuming this is a joke.

You assume correctly.

Internet is a proper noun because it refers to a specific iteration of an interconnected network.

Well I'll be damned, I never knew that.  Guess I lose grammar points for that one... oh wait, there's still some debate on whether to capitalize it or not.  If The London Times doesn't capitalize it, I sure as hell don't see why I have to.  :roll:

Why would we want to try to change your admitted unchangeable subjective opinion?

Well, you probably wouldn't.  I had actually changed my mind and had decided to try and watch some musicals which might alter my perception of them... but no one took me up on my offer.  Nothing is absolute, by the way... people change their minds all the time.

I like musicals and I have better things to do with my time than try to change your mind.

I don't and I have better things to do than watch a bunch of them.

After being away from the board for a few weeks, it's depressing this is what I come back to.

What difference does it make what you think about musicals?  Can you not see this thread has been hijacked and is now about the social relevance of the Star Wars trilogy?  And frankly, if me thinking musicals suck is enough to depress you, I highly suggest you up your meds because, sandman, there's a helluva lot more depressing shit out there than this my friend.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #116 on: 08 Mar 2008, 05:24 »

RH, you are a very good person and I like you a lot (even though my knowledge of you is solely based on this thread). We should have sex sometime, or at least have some heavy petting sessions.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #117 on: 08 Mar 2008, 05:30 »

Can you not see this thread has been hijacked and is now about the social relevance of the Star Wars trilogy?

Actually I am only talking about the first film, not the entire trilogy.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #118 on: 08 Mar 2008, 06:54 »

I don't think this thread is suited for the music forum in the first place, since Mr. OP was complaining about musicals as a whole, not just the songs in them.

rancidhooligan

« Reply #119 on: 08 Mar 2008, 07:00 »

Throwing stones in glass houses...

Is fun!

As for Star Wars, I think this discussion would probably be better suited for the movies subforum, wouldn't you agree?

Really, though?  Do we really want to start an officially sanctioned discussion of the social implications of Star Wars in the movie forum?  I mean, extracating oneself from a land war in Asia is easier than getting out of a "discussion" of Star Wars on the internet.  They just don't end well.

However, this is the most well-mannered discussion of Star Wars I've ever seen.  No one is threatening to turn anyone else into Batha fodder, no one is accusing anyone else of conspiring with the Jawas and no one has called anyone else "Jar-Jar," so maybe it's a good idea.  Dunno.  That's up for the mods to decide, I guess.

On a side note, I just realized that "conspiring with the Jawas" sounds like a sexual position from the Kama Sutra or something.

I don't think this thread is suited for the music forum in the first place, since Mr. OP was complaining about musicals as a whole, not just the songs in them.

So, report it and have it moved.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2008, 07:02 by rancidhooligan »

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #120 on: 08 Mar 2008, 07:08 »

I don't think I need to report a thread that at least two mods have already posted in.

I don't believe in reporting threads anyway.  Like someone else said, it's more fun to watch you make an ass out of yourself.  Also, your attempts to be witty and amusing fail so bad they are, in fact, amusing.

rancidhooligan

« Reply #121 on: 08 Mar 2008, 07:23 »

Also, your attempts to be witty and amusing fail so bad they are, in fact, amusing.

That's your opinion.  Other members have expressed different opinions... but I care not.  I'm here to amuse myself, not you.

Like someone else said, it's more fun to watch you make an ass out of yourself.

It wasn't someone else who said that, it was you.

I don't want thiis thread to die because it is awesome to watch you make an ass of yourself.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #122 on: 08 Mar 2008, 08:08 »

You're right, it was someone else who said it's fun to watch you dig yourself a deeper hole.

And it sure is.  I will never get tired of "I'm just here to amuse myself; I don't actually care" threads.  They are so ripe with denial!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #123 on: 08 Mar 2008, 08:48 »

You know, this thread could have worked if you stopped dragging it around in circles. (This is not to one specific person, but to everyone, maybe even including me, who derailed it as soon as it started to get somewhere.) Really, this could be an interesting topic, as it seems there are both pro- and anti-musical people posting here.

Inspired by this thread, and a sense of "Perhaps I'll be able to appreciate musicals more now that I've gotten a bit older and gotten into some more music", I actually rented West Side Story last night, and watched the whole thing.

To put it simply, it was a painful experience.

As a fan of musicals, most people are confused when I say this, but I actually don't really care about West Side Story. I never really was a fan of Romeo and Juliet or any story like that and putting it in a different era and adding songs didn't really make it any better. "I Feel Pretty" is one of the few songs I like, but this may be because I think it can be funny.

I hate to make a list, but I'm going to anyways so I can say which musicals I do and don't like (that I have personally seen or performed) that won't take a really long time to read:

Barnum - did this freshman year of high school. Though it was fun to be in, it's kind of boring. I was a clown and got to goof off, so this is the only reason I enjoyed it. The songs are ok, but not spectacular.
My Fair Lady - both saw and performed this. Overall, I really enjoy this musical. I like the songs and I think it's fun.
Guys and Dolls - I hate this musical. I hated being in it even more.
The Music Man - same thoughts as My Fair Lady. Fun to be in and fun to watch.
Phantom of the Opera - Beautiful music, especially Music of the Night. It has some eh moments, but overall I really like it. The movie version sucks hardcore though. They should have gotten better singers.
Pirates of Penzance - It is made of Awesome, even if it is an operetta.
Cinderella - Even though when I saw this Cinderella had a very obvious and highly annoying lisp...well, wait. This musical sucks, I hate it. The girl who played Cinderella just made me hate it even more.
Les Miserables - Beautiful story and music.
Victor Victoria - Fun musical about cross dressers. What's not to like?
Fiddler on the Roof - Another fun, enjoyable musical.
The Scarlet Pimpernel - Very funny. It's like Pirates of Penzance but without the pirates and more French revolution. So like Les Miz but funny, or something. I dunno. But I liked this one a lot.
The Wizard of Oz - I don't get how people don't like this musical.
The Sound of Music - See above.
Mamma Mia! - I happened to enjoy this musical. If you don't like ABBA, I can see why it'd be annoying, but it's still a funny musical. I mean, there's a scene where guys in wetsuits and flippers are dancing around on stage.
The Lion King - Pretty cool musical. If you like the Disney movie, you'd probably like this musical. Also the costumes are really cool.
Cats - I really like the music and the costumes. The story itself is somewhat dry, but everything else I really enjoy.
Bye, Bye Birdie - Eh. It's ok. It's better than some musicals and has its fun moments, but Birdie annoys me. A lot.
Peter Pan - I prefer this as a play, to be honest.

Those are the ones I remember right now. I may or may not have seen more, I just need to remember them.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #124 on: 08 Mar 2008, 09:12 »

I honestly cannot see what people like about Andrew Lloyd Weber.  Phantom is really just a terrible show in my opinion, and I can't stand the music.

rancidhooligan

« Reply #125 on: 08 Mar 2008, 09:14 »

Never underestimate the power of a creepy guy in a cool mask.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #126 on: 08 Mar 2008, 09:19 »

It's personal preference. I have the book, so I need to read it at some point.

But here's some I forgot (and I'm sure there will be more):

Avenue Q - Hilarious and I love the songs.
Wicked - I like it, though I am very partial to the book. "What is This Feeling?" is an awesome song though.
Rocky Horror Picture Show - If you don't like it, I completely understand, but I happen to enjoy it. Also, seeing people dress up to go to these shows is probably one of the funniest things ever. Hehehe.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #127 on: 08 Mar 2008, 09:25 »

See, Rocky Horror is one of those things that I simply cannot understand people disliking, unless they're rabidly homophobic or sexually repressed in some manner.  I've never heard someone explain why they don't like at least the film version in a way that is comprehensible.

rancidhooligan

« Reply #128 on: 08 Mar 2008, 09:39 »

The Rocky Horror Picture Show lacks any sort of discernable plot and the music is unforgivably bad, in my humble opinion.  That's why I don't like it.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #129 on: 08 Mar 2008, 10:04 »

I have a limit for how much camp I can take.

Beastmouth

« Reply #130 on: 08 Mar 2008, 10:08 »

Han Solo is introduced as a criminal.

Right after the law is introduced as evil incarnate.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #131 on: 08 Mar 2008, 10:12 »

QUIT BELITTLING MY HOBBIES TOMMYDSKI
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #132 on: 08 Mar 2008, 15:39 »

Trying to force additional meaning

Who says I'm forcing anything?  For me, pop-culture analysis is second nature.  It just naturally occurs to me.  It's not something I consciously put effort into.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #133 on: 08 Mar 2008, 16:23 »

I suppose you misunderstand me.  I don't like Star Wars because of any symbolic meaning I see in it - I was, what, 2 when it came out and saw it dozens of times as a child obviously without any thought about that kind of stuff.

I just appreciate it more because it is my perception - which could be wrong - that Lucas was trying to play with some cultural tropes.  Given that he had just done THX-1138, I don't think it's a huge leap of logic to think he may have wanted there to be some element of allegorical relationship to the times he was making the film in.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #134 on: 08 Mar 2008, 17:44 »

well Lucas has said he based Star Wars on Jason Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces which is a pretty big commentary on how myths are central to certain societies.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

rancidhooligan

« Reply #135 on: 08 Mar 2008, 20:18 »

For me, pop-culture analysis is second nature.  It just naturally occurs to me.  It's not something I consciously put effort into.

For as much as you seem to dislike me, we're not so dissimilar, you and I.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #136 on: 08 Mar 2008, 20:42 »

You're right, you both showed up on the forum out of the blue with pretensions to iconoclasm and a very high regard for your own opinion.

Hopefully the similarity bears out and you mellow out a bit as you accrue time here.

Jackie, there's no doubt that there's a lot going on underneath the surface of Star Wars (particularly the first film), e.g; The Joseph Campbell connection and the homages to Kurosawa and 50's matinée serials among other things and some of the allegories you're discussing are certainly there (I'd be willing to dispute the drug/Tim Leary references), but I would by no means call Star Wars a "great" social commentary.

As tommy said, these elements are pretty prevalent in almost any film if you're willing to view the film through a certain lens, and Star Wars definitely doesn't do it any better than any other film. Of course, there are a lot of things Star Wars does do a lot better than other films, and some of them are pretty ponderous, so it's not like Star Wars doesn't have it's fair share of intellectual chops.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #137 on: 08 Mar 2008, 21:32 »

For as much as you seem to dislike me, we're not so dissimilar, you and I.

Yeah, but I'm funnier.

The Viz

« Reply #138 on: 09 Mar 2008, 01:18 »

Guys, guys -- I think we can all agree that all musicals are exactly the same.  It's okay to hate them all as a group because there are no different styles or genres when it comes to musical theatre.  Assassins is exactly the same as Hello Dolly.  Rent is actually Oklahoma, note-for-note.  Stories told through music is just an inferior form of art, seriously.  They're all the same, just like all minorities.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #139 on: 09 Mar 2008, 01:22 »

We might as well just all get naked and watch television if we were going to waste our time on musicals
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #140 on: 09 Mar 2008, 06:10 »

GURR BLURR

Oh I get it, you're a troll.

How adorable.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

The Viz

« Reply #141 on: 09 Mar 2008, 13:33 »

Oh I get it, you're a troll.

How adorable.

Come on, tell me those aren't adorable!

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #142 on: 09 Mar 2008, 14:01 »

Those aren't adorable.
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #143 on: 09 Mar 2008, 14:45 »

That didn't seem like trolling to me, it seemed like sarcasm (but I could be wrong).

I loved Les Miserables, although I think I only saw the short version. The thing I don't like about musicals in general, from my limited knowledge of them, is that the songs come totally randomly and seem a bit misplaced. Les Miserables is all song, pretty much, so there isn't the same jump from normal dialogue to oddly placed melody.

But I didn't like West Side Story. I'm not really sure why. And I have to agree, Rocky Horror Picture Show is terrible. I was forced to watch it at least three times at parties (well, I say forced... no one pinned me down, but there wasn't much else to do) and I never understood why it's a cult classic. Even if it did have Meatloaf in it (briefly).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #144 on: 09 Mar 2008, 15:10 »

I saw it as sarcasm, too.

Stories told through music is just an inferior form of art, seriously.

You probably don't like opera then, huh.

The Viz

« Reply #145 on: 09 Mar 2008, 17:09 »

I saw it as sarcasm, too.

Stories told through music is just an inferior form of art, seriously.

You probably don't like opera then, huh.
You're correct in catching the sarcasm, good man.  I'm actually a sucker for a good musically-told story.  As for opera, I'm not too into it, but I really like La Boheme.  Me and my friends might see Verdi's Falstaff in the near future.

Rocky Horror Picture Show is terrible. I was forced to watch it at least three times at parties (well, I say forced... no one pinned me down, but there wasn't much else to do) and I never understood why it's a cult classic. Even if it did have Meatloaf in it (briefly).
Agreed.  Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of Tim Curry (except for Clue)...but even Meat Load couldn't salvage Rocky Horror.

As for West Side Story, that one's a particular taste, you either love it or hate it.  I personally like it, though I would see why someone else wouldn't.  Les Mis is fucking brilliant.

But in all honesty, musicals are just one format.  To say all musical theatre is terrible is like saying all movies are terrible, or that all books are terrible.  There are some you'll like and some you won't; give them a fair chance and you'll figure out your tastes.  There's as much division over fans of particular plays as there is over fans of particular bands.  It's just a different media is all; to umbrella them all as shit is just ignorance.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2008, 17:13 by The Viz »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #146 on: 09 Mar 2008, 18:37 »

You're correct in catching the sarcasm, good LADY.

:-D

Opera is give or take, it's ok. The Magic Flute, however, is always good.

The Viz

« Reply #147 on: 09 Mar 2008, 18:39 »

You're correct in catching the sarcasm, good LADY.

:-D

Opera is give or take, it's ok. The Magic Flute, however, is always good.
Well, I'm an asshole...heh, sorry about that.

I almost saw The Magic Flute!  I couldn't go at the last minute.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #148 on: 10 Mar 2008, 03:40 »

Haha gender confusion FTW.

I saw Los Noches (that might not be the right spelling) and something where two people fall in love and then they both die (that would be all operas, then?) with my school and enjoyed them, but personally I prefer to understand what's going on through the words, so it limits me to english operas only. I also finding watching most kinds of dance fairly dull, and listening to instrumental music. I think I just prefer words.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #149 on: 10 Mar 2008, 03:47 »

I can't get into operas, no matter how hard I try.

I remember watching a really, really good production of Cosi (by some high class european symphony, forget which one though) and I was bored to tears. I think that fact that they literally SING THE WHOLE TIME makes it really hard for me take.

Opera sucks.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up