THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime Recommendations?  (Read 259396 times)

Alex C

• comeback tour!
Re: Anime Recommendations?
« Reply #350 on: 22 Dec 2008, 16:32 »

Oh, Inuyasha definitely had its moments of technique fetishism, and as with any serial anime they tend to remind you of the drawbacks of things like Miroku's wind tunnel every time the damned thing comes up. Still, if you were to compare the most egregious examples from each series to eachother, Inuyasha wouldn't even be a real challenger to a show like Naruto or DBZ.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #351 on: 22 Dec 2008, 17:44 »

good point from what little I did see of DBZ seemed that ever 5 seconds or so somebody was doing some crazy neverbefore explained move.
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

keikun496

• Plantmonster
« Reply #352 on: 22 Dec 2008, 19:27 »

I tend to avoid following series that are so endless. Case in point:

Summary of Bleach: reinforcements of reinforcements of reinforcments

Summary of Naruto: the answer is ALWAYS shadow clones. And Naruto is always the reason for EVERYTHING.

Summary of DBZ: I'm going to power up. Oh yeah, well I'll power up more than you power up. Really? Then I'll power up even more than you'll power up.

Actually, scratch that, I tend to avoid most generic shounen animes because once they reach a certain length they always follow the same pattern of power levels and dues ex machina.

I'm a bit miffed at the mainstreaming being discussed. Anyone watch things that have yet to be licensed/dubbed?

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #353 on: 23 Dec 2008, 10:14 »

So I just watched Afro Samurai and it was pretty fun, but I don't think I've seen something so overrated in my entire life.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #354 on: 23 Dec 2008, 17:56 »

So I just watched Afro Samurai and it was pretty fun, but I don't think I've seen something so overrated in my entire life.

But it's also super pretty?  A million dollars per episode.  Sure the story is terrible and they didn't do NEARLY enough as they could have I still enjoyed it.  I want to watch the directors cut, it's got like...15 more minutes and considering the full thing is only about 100 minutes long it's good enough.  Personally Afro Samurai would have made a better movie than an OVA and I'd love to actually watch it with the Japanese voices. 

I'm kind of in the mood for some harem/ecchi stuff.  I've seen Love Hina and AMG and can someone recommend some other good series.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #355 on: 23 Dec 2008, 18:50 »

Sometimes any given work can contain many technical aspects that are fairly impressive on paper but prove to be underwhelming or merely masturbatory in practice; E.g. guitar wankery. Afro Samurai is pretty neat, but in terms of raw storytelling it's hardly ambitious.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #356 on: 23 Dec 2008, 19:30 »

Oh, Inuyasha definitely had its moments of technique fetishism, and as with any serial anime they tend to remind you of the drawbacks of things like Miroku's wind tunnel every time the damned thing comes up. Still, if you were to compare the most egregious examples from each series to eachother, Inuyasha wouldn't even be a real challenger to a show like Naruto or DBZ.

in my opinion inuyasha became crap as soon as they started announcing every single move they did instead of just doing them...unfortunatly this happened about episode 20 of 150 something...in an act of massochism i still kept watching till about episode 100
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Aurjay

« Reply #357 on: 23 Dec 2008, 21:01 »

in my opinion inuyasha became crap as soon as they started announcing every single move they did instead of just doing them...unfortunatly this happened about episode 20 of 150 something...in an act of massochism i still kept watching till about episode 100

I followed it up to when he was fighting the  guy with the cross on his face. Dont know what series number. I just walked away at that point...

keikun496

• Plantmonster
« Reply #358 on: 25 Dec 2008, 20:12 »

But it's also super pretty?  A million dollars per episode.  Sure the story is terrible and they didn't do NEARLY enough as they could have I still enjoyed it.  I want to watch the directors cut, it's got like...15 more minutes and considering the full thing is only about 100 minutes long it's good enough.  Personally Afro Samurai would have made a better movie than an OVA and I'd love to actually watch it with the Japanese voices. 

I'm kind of in the mood for some harem/ecchi stuff.  I've seen Love Hina and AMG and can someone recommend some other good series.

Ai Yori Aoshi,
Golden Boy,
Negima (plenty of pantyshots there)
tenchi muyo (ehh, whatever)
Ouran (reverse harem, but it's hilarious, and I strongly recommend it)
Kage Kara Mamoru (worth a watch)
girls bravo
To Love-Ru

and that's what I can think of off the top of my head

Ikrik

« Reply #359 on: 27 Dec 2008, 00:17 »

->keikun

wow...thanks.  I've never seen any of them, I've heard of a couple but never actually seen any of em.

Also Fist of the North Star is great but they put in a little sidekick who's gonna really irritate me.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #360 on: 28 Dec 2008, 05:44 »

I wish to find out when the Hellsing OVA V comes out and I'm too lazy to wiki or google.

Can someone tell me the date? =P

Ikrik

« Reply #361 on: 28 Dec 2008, 11:12 »

Released on DVD? They haven't released it yet and they haven't stated a date.  It was released in Japan in November....and so far there's been a huge difference between the two release dates so you might be waiting for a while.

If you're looking for a torrent...it should be up on the interwebs somewhere......

Ikrik

« Reply #362 on: 14 Mar 2009, 23:27 »

I'm resurrecting this thread for a single, simple purpose.  I haven't watched anime in a while and I was wondering if people could give me a bunch of recommendations.  The stuff I want is stuff non-typical and as free of anime cliches as can be.  I'm sick of starting a series and then getting bored of it within the first 5-7 episodes.  The genre doesn't matter so much, but if you can recommend stuff with great plot and/or great characters, it would be really appreciated.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #363 on: 15 Mar 2009, 05:52 »

i think what you're looking for is the genre known as seinen...also known as not aimed at 10 year olds

though it is an aquired taste try watching the satoshi kon stuff, gankutsuou is pretty good and baccano was probably the best thing released last year so try that as well
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #364 on: 15 Mar 2009, 18:34 »

I recommend the Hare & Guu series if you like comedy. xxxHOLIC is worth a try too if you like demon/ghost/mystical beings crap.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

kozmonaut

• Not quite a lurker
    • FTA Files
« Reply #365 on: 19 Mar 2009, 01:38 »

I liked

Macross Zero
Final Fantasy Advent Childern
Vampire Hunter D - but not the sequel
Akira
Ranma 1/2 - the entire series is wicked!
Gunbuster - one of my all time favorites

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #366 on: 19 Mar 2009, 09:23 »

I'm resurrecting this thread for a single, simple purpose.  I haven't watched anime in a while and I was wondering if people could give me a bunch of recommendations.  The stuff I want is stuff non-typical and as free of anime cliches as can be.  I'm sick of starting a series and then getting bored of it within the first 5-7 episodes.  The genre doesn't matter so much, but if you can recommend stuff with great plot and/or great characters, it would be really appreciated.

Kino's Journey Haibane Renmei Serial Experiments Lain

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #367 on: 19 Mar 2009, 12:10 »

I hate to associate myself with anime, but I've watched some of the titles mentioned above and loved every second of it. My trouble has been separating out the rubbish. In a true cliché fashion I'll answer a question with a question; can we get some links to legit web sites that permit downloads or viewing the whole series / season of a specific show?

So far I've seen Samurai Champloo, FLCL, Full Metal Alchemist, Case Closed, Avatar, and Miyazaki's work.That's all my cable permits so any help will be appreciated.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #369 on: 19 Mar 2009, 15:48 »

Samurai Champloo, FLCL, Full Metal Alchemist, ... and Miyazaki's work.

beyond Ghost in the Shell (the first movie and the series), you pretty much covered all the best ones.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #370 on: 19 Mar 2009, 16:12 »

I've tried watching it on Adult Swim, the plot felt dull and I just couldn't keep up with it.

Edit; a friend just showed me this one, but the majority of it seems like kid's cartoons. To anyone who's interested.

http://www.dbz-zone.org/index.php
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2009, 16:13 by Avec »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #371 on: 19 Mar 2009, 16:13 »

yeah, it's not for everyone.

it takes a special kind of person to listen to people talk about non-existant computer programs and shit for a half-hour straight.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Reed

« Reply #372 on: 19 Mar 2009, 19:36 »

I'm pretty siimilar to you, Avec, in terms of anime. If you liked samurai champloo you really need to check out cowboy bebop. It's by the same guy, and I actually thought it was a little better.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #373 on: 03 Apr 2009, 21:55 »

I think Cowboy Bebop is so beloved in the west because it has a very western tone to it, as opposed to a purely Japanese mindset that permeates the majority of anime.

I enjoyed Blue Submarine 6, it was kind of like Water World without the suck, but also sans cult appeal.

Has anyone else noticed the striking similarity between Outlaw Star and Firefly?  Both start with a girl with a mysterious past and special abilities naked inside a box.  The crew dynamics and the way they operate have some parallels as well.

I was always a fan of FLCL for the soundtrack and ridiculous cultural references(Which I like much better in the dub - seriously who the hell references Richard Cheese?), but other than that just never really cared for comedy anime.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was enjoyable, and had an endearing quality to it despite having a lot of anime cliches in it.

My favorite is probably Evangelion, especially toward the end and the movies.  And, it was the characters and character development that did it for me.  You get to fully see most characters motivations, and it really delves into the human psyche while raising a lot of interesting philosophical questions.  I can see why people wouldn't like it, though, but it really worked for me and I'm excited to see the retelling through the new movies.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #374 on: 04 Apr 2009, 13:21 »

On the one hand, I get that FLCL is supposed to be a comedy - and it is. On the other hand, it could just as well be called a subtle, complex, and symbolically rich coming-of-age tale told through a brilliant postmodern pastiche. I'd seriously consider it the best anime production I've ever seen, bar none.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #375 on: 04 Apr 2009, 15:26 »

I'm looking for movies similar to "5 Centimetres Per Second" or "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" and NOT by the same directors, as I can find that out by myself.

If you haven't seen either of those, then you're a tool who I wouldn't want recommendations from anyway! :P

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #376 on: 04 Apr 2009, 16:10 »

The only one I can think of like those two is Whisper of the Heart.

Be My Head

« Reply #377 on: 04 Apr 2009, 16:13 »

Yeah, damn, I've seen Whisper of The Heart, it was good...not as good as those two...but good.

Trauco

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #378 on: 28 May 2009, 20:06 »

Byôsoku 5 senchimêtoru

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0983213/

Very beautiful realist anime, not really something i would recommend to a Bleach/Dragon Ball/Trigun/Evangelion/Akira/action stuff fan.

But if you like the medium for something else than action, if you are really interested in human emotion, it's worth cheking out.

PD: Next time i should really read the whole thread before jumping into recommending something, as i see someone already posted it :-p

PD2: To redeem myself, i'll recommend you:

Metoroporisu (2001)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293416/

Gorgeous, it only kind of fails with some CG sequences, that i think that weren't needed nor really accomplished, but besides those 30 seconds, the movie is Awesome, action packed, beautifully colored, etc, etc, etc...
« Last Edit: 28 May 2009, 20:11 by Trauco »

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #379 on: 28 May 2009, 23:05 »

Evangelion/Akira/action stuff fan.

what

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #380 on: 29 May 2009, 00:59 »

Four words. All Caps.

TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN

It's the anime where the whole time you're thinking "man, if they did anything more awesome than this it'd just get silly." And then it does get more awesome. Several times. Every episode. And you thought that at about episode 3.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #381 on: 29 May 2009, 01:19 »

Can I second that? Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is just amazing in that regard.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #382 on: 31 May 2009, 02:54 »

Mushishi.
Hate, rain on me

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #383 on: 31 May 2009, 17:00 »

Hmmm

Thanks to my financial situation I haven't been able to afford any Anime in a while

Some I have seen - such as GiTS (all iterations), Cowboy Bebop - I won't bother to mention again.

Others?

Gasaraki - Got a soft spot for that one since it's the one that really got me hooked
Bubblegum Crisis:2040 - First one I ever watched - And that was on Adult Swim before I bought the Boxset
Ikki Tousen - A good bit of fun
Tenshi Muyo
R.O.D - Both the original OAV and the Series
Gunslinger Girl
Strawberry Panic - Watched that rather disjointedly via YouTube - Liked it.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2009, 23:25 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #384 on: 02 Jun 2009, 06:20 »

I feel compelled to recommend Cromartie High School.

Why, you ask?

That's why.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #385 on: 02 Jun 2009, 22:40 »

Good grief!!

Sean Connery!!!!!
James The Kugai 

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #386 on: 03 Jun 2009, 03:56 »

Good grief!!

Sean Connery!!!!!

+1 for truth! =O

I'm going to google this series right away.

Also, the Trigun feature film is going to be awesome fun.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #387 on: 04 Jun 2009, 02:10 »

No you fools it's Freddie Mercury.

There is also a gorilla. And a robot.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #388 on: 04 Jun 2009, 16:25 »

Looks more like Sean in the costume from Zardoz
James The Kugai 

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #389 on: 08 Jun 2009, 01:06 »

Looks more like Sean in the costume from Zardoz

Definitly.  :-D

Btw: If you have some time spare for cinema, in 2010 i recommend "Cat Shit One" (in USA renamed to Apocalypse Meow, like the already available Mangas).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOAPKxqutv8    (Trailer starts after 40 seconds)

If you have a knack for a Mixture between Watership Down and Desert Storm... but i have the naggin feeling that Stan Sakai and his "Usagi Yojimbo" had some influence here.

9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me that i am not mad. The 10th hums the Tetris Tune.

Aurjay

« Reply #390 on: 08 Jun 2009, 19:57 »

k I just watched the series Tengo Tenge and have to say it was horrible. The ending of the series was gay the plot contrived the fight scenes were decent and that was about t 

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #391 on: 09 Jun 2009, 07:44 »

I think you're missing the point a little.

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #392 on: 10 Jun 2009, 15:31 »

I'm looking for movies similar to "5 Centimetres Per Second" or "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" and NOT by the same directors, as I can find that out by myself.

If you haven't seen either of those, then you're a tool who I wouldn't want recommendations from anyway! :P

if you liked those films, i have some recommendations for you:

Haibane Renmei: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAQA0Bws1rA

An anime about people that are "awakening" in a very special city behind high walls that they cannot leave as "Angels". They have to live among normal humans there until they found out why they are here. It has action, but is very unbloody, more focussed on a great story. And it has a terrific soundtrack.

Millenium Actress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpGrD5wUzKE

What a rollercoaster ride. You cannot really describe it - any detail would total spoiler it. Wonderful soundtrack and an amazing storyline about an actress playing herself.

Paprika: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT9wAtCe8Oc

Lets say: It is the anime version of "The Cell". Nearly the same story. But the animations are far more "mindboggling" than "The Cell" ever was. And: Great soundtrack.

Tokyo Godfathers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxCvrzVBuXw

Christmas in Tokyo. Three Homeless people and a baby they found in the trash. Hilarity ensues.
9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me that i am not mad. The 10th hums the Tetris Tune.

Aurjay

« Reply #393 on: 10 Jun 2009, 18:08 »

I think you're missing the point a little.

if your talking to me yeah i know it was more about cute girls with swords but still even that felt silly to me

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #394 on: 11 Jun 2009, 06:51 »

Asking (or expecting) a series like that to be anything other than mindless eye-candy is like buying a Megadeth album for its subtlety.

Jepser

• Larger than most fish
I wasn't going to d/l any of that, but once I read "oldest lesbian", I kind of had to.

Be My Head

« Reply #396 on: 26 Jun 2009, 20:15 »

*snip*

Awesome stuff, I'm going to check these out once I'm done watching my back-catalogue of downloaded films. (Rashomon, Vampire Hunter D, and Seven Samurai)

BurningSky

• Not quite a lurker
    • The Blogule
« Reply #397 on: 10 Jul 2009, 23:41 »

I still feel like Cowboy Bebop was the greatest collection of media ever created. Plot, characters, animation, sound, direction, cinematography--it has it all. I immediately fell in love with Joss Whedon's Serenity because it reminded me so much of Cowboy Bebop.

I was a huge fan of Dragon Ball Z as a kid, now I watch/read it for nostalgia. Anybody see that awful live action movie? Epic fail.

Miyazaki is an obvious favorite. Has anybody noticed recent Pixar movies' tone greatly resembling Miyazaki? Up reminded me so much of Castle in the Sky. 

Be My Head

« Reply #398 on: 11 Jul 2009, 00:02 »

Yeah, I did notice that. Up was a great movie, it did have the same feel as Castle In The Sky, but didn't really have the whole environmentalism theme going, like Wall-E.

On the dvd version of Castle In The Sky one of the animators from Pixar introduces the movie.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #399 on: 12 Jul 2009, 09:29 »

Mmmm I don't really like anime that much. At first I was really a fan but not now.
But there's some really good stuff, that's for sure imo those would be:

- Neon Genesis Evangelion [Only for those who love mindfucking plot, the movie is insane]
- Elfen Lied [Gorish! and the intro is such a piece of art]
- Rurouni Kenshin [Classic...]
- Hunter X Hunter [amazing anime, really nice adventures, blod, characters and with a really well thought plot]
- Shaman King [Spirits and such... quite fun actually]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up