THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime Recommendations?  (Read 259440 times)

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
Re: Anime Recommendations?
« Reply #400 on: 13 Jul 2009, 20:03 »

The new Haruhi series is pissing me off massively. They're repeating the same episode over and over, with some superfluous changes, and it's incredibly annoying. But, the episodes are individually of such a high standard that I can't help but watch and enjoy, and then angry up afterwards.

Also, I found the Bebop OST1 in an anime shop and bought it, twenty Australian dollars. Brilliant stuff, works almost as well as a CD as it does as backing music.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

holmez54

« Reply #401 on: 15 Jul 2009, 17:46 »

I haven't been watching as much anime as I used to. I've been through Eureka Seven probably 5 times and love it every time I see it. Xam'd is along a very similar line, but half as long. I watched it all online since the only other place I ever saw it was downloads on PlayStation Network. I always was a big fan of Gundam Wing (I have a thing for giant robots). A friend of mine turned me on to Eyeshield 21. It's pretty funny if you like the idea of a skinny little Japanese boy playing American football at a Japanese high school, but I can't find the episodes for it online anymore. I've watched almost all of Gantz, it's pretty weird and not very long. I prefer my anime in the 25-50 episode range (Eyeshield 21 has over 100, though). I feel it's a good length. People tell me I need to watch Robotech, but I get overwhelmed by its mass.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #402 on: 23 Jul 2009, 01:13 »

I'm going to go ahead and say it and then get burned by the Miyazaki fans....but I thought Ponyo was very dissapointing.

For me it lost points from the get-go because the art style is so painfully simplistic and isn't even presented in a way that would make it acceptable.  After watching Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and Howl's Moving Castle reverting to such an art style really destroyed a lot of the visual charm that makes Miyazakis films so unforgettable.  The characters are, for the most part boring and in the case of the young boy at times very annoying.  It's also a straight kids movie. There really isn't a lot here that the older generation can really pick up on and really enjoy. I might watch it again and I'll let you know if I still really dislike it. 

Theriandros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #403 on: 14 Sep 2009, 10:49 »

So, yeah, I know I'm bumping an old-ish thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread just for myself.

I got into anime thanks to the 4Kids dub of Yu-gi-oh. I know 4Kids is the devil, so overlook that a bit. Right now I'm trawling for recommendations based on the stuff I've liked from my sparse experience so far (I prefer dubs to subs, unless said dubs are of famously bad quality):

Death Note
Code Geass
Paranoia Agent (Somehow, I absolutely loved this)

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #404 on: 14 Sep 2009, 13:05 »

The new Haruhi series is pissing me off massively. They're repeating the same episode over and over, with some superfluous changes, and it's incredibly annoying. But, the episodes are individually of such a high standard that I can't help but watch and enjoy, and then angry up afterwards.

Hahhahahaha Yeah, that was a hell of a serie. But the last one is worth it, I liked it.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #405 on: 14 Sep 2009, 19:14 »

So, yeah, I know I'm bumping an old-ish thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread just for myself.

I got into anime thanks to the 4Kids dub of Yu-gi-oh. I know 4Kids is the devil, so overlook that a bit. Right now I'm trawling for recommendations based on the stuff I've liked from my sparse experience so far (I prefer dubs to subs, unless said dubs are of famously bad quality):

Death Note
Code Geass
Paranoia Agent (Somehow, I absolutely loved this)

if you liked paranoia agent i always recomend the rest of the satoshi kon stuff they're very similar except movies instead of series
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #406 on: 14 Sep 2009, 19:52 »

Have I mentioned Tekkonkinkreet yet? Because it is really, really good. No, really good.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #407 on: 14 Sep 2009, 20:15 »

I downloaded a copy of it. I need to watch it still though. I loved two other movies from the same studio, Mind Game and Princess Arete.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #408 on: 14 Sep 2009, 21:40 »

I'm feeling lazy tonight, did anyone (or me) mention Strawberry Panic?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #409 on: 17 Dec 2009, 02:07 »

So, I need suggestions.

-I liked Cowboy Bebop's characters, but found the 20-minute stand-alone plots really bland.

-Outlaw Star was boring. I could have cared about the relationships between a few of the main characters, but they were all so fucking boring.

-I tried desperately to like Big O, and I love its art direction, but its absolutely batshit storytelling and plot management skills made it frustrating to watch outside of a monster-of-the-week sort of show.

-I really loved Eureka Seven for its character development. It felt like a well-written soap opera with giant fucking surfing robots thrown into the mix.

-FLCL was fantastic. The art was good, it was completely original, but what really stood out was its literary themes.

-Full Metal Panic season 1 was stupid cliche nonsense, season 3 was pretty good.

Knock me out, nerds.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Ikrik

« Reply #410 on: 17 Dec 2009, 02:26 »

Mushishi and Kino's Journey are both very similar, they follow the main character as they travel distant and strange lands.  Both have very beautiful styles of art, Kino is simplistic and Mushishi is very...green. 

Ergo Proxy has an awesome story and a great world with relatively alright characters.  Some are definitely better than others.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is an incredible drama that was the first anime I well and truly hated.  It has a few of the anime cliches that really break the mood a few times but the main chunk of drama is absolutely incredible.

Now for the weird ones:

Mind Game is an absolutely incredible movie.  If you like really weird and strange art, then this one is for you. By far one of my favourite anime movies.  It's right up there with The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, which you should also see.

Kemonozume.  It has the exact same art-style as Mind Game but is a series instead of a movie.  It's a basic Romeo and Juliet story that kind of dips in parts but overall is awesome.

And that's about all I can recommend.  I stopped watching anime over a year ago and now I'm just kind of focused on obtaining the sets and movies that I really, truly enjoy.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #411 on: 17 Dec 2009, 06:53 »

Baccano! 

Spelled with the '!', short, sweet, on animesuki, and rewatchable.  Action / Mystery / Contemporary fantasy

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #412 on: 17 Dec 2009, 07:52 »

Have I mentioned Tekkonkinkreet yet? Because it is really, really good. No, really good.

Listen to what this man has to say.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #413 on: 17 Dec 2009, 10:17 »

Tekkonkinkreet was nonsensical to the point of unwatchability. I still watched the whole damn thing because the art was absolutely beautiful, but I feel like that's all it was: pretty pictures.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

tricia kidd

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #414 on: 17 Dec 2009, 10:47 »

anyone who thinks they don't like anime because they think it's all the same should watch Bartender.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

jimbunny

« Reply #415 on: 17 Dec 2009, 14:57 »

If you couldn't get what was going on in Tekkonkinkreet, I'd suggest watching it again. It's a great story about two kids, the connections between them and their environment, about preservation vs. change, and of course, good vs. evil. The plot is a little thick, but essentially it's nothing you haven't seen before - just presented with a great amount of imagination and style.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #416 on: 17 Dec 2009, 15:25 »

I just saw Sky Crawlers.  I'm a big Mamoru Oshii fan, and I thought the movie was excellent (mostly for the same reasons a lot of people hated it), but now I need to be held.

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #417 on: 17 Dec 2009, 20:44 »

Gurren Lagaan and Bakemonogatari, for everything.

Oh man, also Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #418 on: 28 Dec 2009, 03:02 »

Came across Bakemonogatari while on a hentai site, if you can believe it.

Theriandros

« Reply #419 on: 27 Jan 2010, 14:20 »

anyone who thinks they don't like anime because they think it's all the same should watch Bartender.

Saying anime is all the same is like calling all movies the same genre. Ffs (not at the quoted poster), anime is a format, not a genre.

Next thing you know, they'll say that adopting a puppy is a the same as adopting a toddler...

tricia kidd

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #420 on: 27 Jan 2010, 17:50 »

Saying anime is all the same is like calling all movies the same genre. Ffs (not at the quoted poster), anime is a format, not a genre.

exactly.  granted it doesn't help that for a very long time the only anime that made it to the Western world was shonen/mecha crap - which are genres - but it's goddamn 2010 and you can buy The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in best buy.

i watched Howl's Moving Castle the other day and while i admit i was rather drunk i absolutely hated it.  well, "hated" is a strong word, but there's so much "oh look isn't this so weird and nonsensical" shit in it that had me wondering if i was supposed to be laughing at it or if it was supposed to be some kind of deeply symbolic anime equivalent of Finnegan's Wake.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

jimbunny

« Reply #421 on: 27 Jan 2010, 21:51 »

Sometimes it felt like, through the morass of incomprehensibility, there was magnificent truth shining just out of reach. I thought for a moment that I was in the grips of some cosmic joke, crafted - no, revealed - by an obscure master. As I lay in the darkness, illuminated by the pale, flickering light of the screen, reality seemed to me a thin thing.

pharmmajor

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #422 on: 01 Feb 2010, 21:44 »

Here are a few I'd recommend:

- Case Closed
- Pani Poni Dash
- Those who Hunt Elves
- Paranoia Agent
- Darker than Black
- Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (skip the "Endless Eight" arc, though)

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #423 on: 01 Feb 2010, 23:19 »

Look, instead of just listing names you could write/ctrl-V a blurb or half paragraph recommendation at least.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #424 on: 01 Feb 2010, 23:20 »

Otherwise it's just a stupid post, it may seem like you're padding your post-count.

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #425 on: 02 Feb 2010, 01:08 »

I see what you did there.

I've been watching Dance in the Vampire Bund and Durarara!!! which have just started showing as of the new winter season.

Dance in the Vampire Bund is produced by SHAFT (Pani Poni, Maria Holic, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Bakemonogatari). It's basically about the queen/ruler of all vampires outing the existence of vampires to the human world and then declaring that she plans to establish a haven for vampires in Japan, this place being The Bund.

Durarara!!! is produced by Brain's Base, and I'm pretty sure has the same animation team that did Toradora. I find this series much more light than the former, but still as serious as Bund. At the urging of a long time friend a young student transfers to a school in Tokyo. On his first day in the city he's a witness to an urban legend in the form of a headless rider on a black motorcycle.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #426 on: 02 Feb 2010, 06:09 »

I got that for $3 at Big Lots!

So does anyone have an opinion on Morbito?  The complete series (8 DVDs) is on sale for $29.99.  Should I consider getting it?

DavidGrohl

« Reply #427 on: 02 Feb 2010, 15:00 »

I got that for $3 at Big Lots!

So does anyone have an opinion on Morbito?  The complete series (8 DVDs) is on sale for $29.99.  Should I consider getting it?

I love that series.  I'd buy it at that price.  It's not for everyone, but the fighting animation style, story, and music are incredible.

I hate shows where a battle will last several episodes or explain exactly what happened (I'm looking at you Naruto).

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #428 on: 02 Feb 2010, 15:03 »

I actually like the absurd explanations in Naruto.
The overly long and drawn-out fights though....not so much.

jesus christ am i seriously talking about naruto on the internet? i need to change my life, pronto
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #429 on: 02 Feb 2010, 15:08 »

I hate shows where a battle will last several episodes or explain exactly what happened (I'm looking at you Naruto).

Basically why I try to avoid most Shonen manga/anime.

jesus christ am i seriously talking about naruto on the internet?

It's how the internet recieves worship.

Theriandros

« Reply #430 on: 15 Feb 2010, 11:27 »

I am now in love with FMA: Brotherhood after one episode.

I <3 fight scenes with choral/orchestral music swelling tragically over people dying. (that and the grayscale coloring during the scene with Isaac and the Fuhrer was a nice touch).

EDIT: Just noticed the English dub started airing. Wasn't watching that, but some fansubs. Hopefully they're accurate.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2010, 11:56 by Theriandros »

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
  • "Chickens are a cruel people"
« Reply #431 on: 15 Feb 2010, 20:34 »

I <3 fight scenes with choral/orchestral music swelling tragically over people dying. (that and the grayscale coloring during the scene with Isaac and the Fuhrer was a nice touch).

EDIT: Just noticed the English dub started airing. Wasn't watching that, but some fansubs. Hopefully they're accurate.

THIS.  Don't watch the 'original' FMA anime.  Watch Brotherhood.  The first one they made was inaccurate to the manga, though that's not the reason it was bad.  The reason it was bad is because the writing was terrible and the story ended up not making a lick of sense. 
I mention the inaccuracy to the manga because the writer/artist is pretty much as fantastic as they could hope to find and there's no need to improve upon or change what she's written.  But when they were first making it, she was only a few issues in...so they had to make something up in order to keep it going. :(  What a bunch of impatient dumbs.
FMA: Brotherhood all the way.

I also ditto Gurren Lagenn.

Theriandros

« Reply #432 on: 15 Feb 2010, 20:39 »

Seen the first anime already. I'll say nothing more in order to avoid the war between people who think the manga is far better than the first anime and vice versa.

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #433 on: 15 Feb 2010, 20:54 »

I'll say nothing more in order to avoid the war between people who think the manga is far better than the first anime and vice versa.

Pretty sure you won't find them here.

Ikrik

« Reply #434 on: 16 Feb 2010, 01:07 »

The original FMA anime was still great, it was one of the first series I ever watched.  I'd say that there is no point in watching it now if Brotherhood is so good, I haven't checked it out yet though.

Has anyhone seen the Casshern anime, how is that?

Theriandros

« Reply #435 on: 16 Feb 2010, 09:57 »

THIS.  Don't watch the 'original' FMA anime.  Watch Brotherhood.  The first one they made was inaccurate to the manga, though that's not the reason it was bad.  The reason it was bad is because the writing was terrible and the story ended up not making a lick of sense. 
I mention the inaccuracy to the manga because the writer/artist is pretty much as fantastic as they could hope to find and there's no need to improve upon or change what she's written.  But when they were first making it, she was only a few issues in...so they had to make something up in order to keep it going. :(  What a bunch of impatient dumbs.
FMA: Brotherhood all the way.

To be fair, the author encouraged the writers in making the alternate ending, which I found coherent. ( possible spoiler)(Also: Roy Mustang is a motherfucking badass. Taking on a homunculus with his only hope of victory being that he kills Pride enough to use up his red stones? That takes some real stones)(/possible spoiler)

Since the first dub episode of Brotherhood came out, I compared the dub to the Funimation subs and a fansub that I've been told is good quality. The sub pairs are fairly well matched, but I find it odd that the dub script is different than the subs made by the SAME COMPANY. Anyone know why that might happen?

StreetSpirit

• "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #436 on: 16 Feb 2010, 13:16 »

I wouldn't be surprised if the dubs were different to make the phrasing better fit the already existent mouth movement, whereas the subs can be more of a direct translation.
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #437 on: 16 Feb 2010, 15:46 »

wait, there's a new FMA series?

I love FMA.

StreetSpirit

• "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #438 on: 16 Feb 2010, 23:23 »

Yes sir, the new series follow the manga more or less to a T minus the first episode which is acts a nice introduction into the seriousness and beauty of the "new" series. It is on Hulu subtitled a week after broadcast in Japan, under the moniker: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Hope you enjoy it SWM.
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

Theriandros

« Reply #439 on: 17 Feb 2010, 10:24 »

Hulu's delay is two weeks, actually.

Just watched up through the episode with Shou Tucker. The scene with the chimera at the end made me bawl my eyes out, even though I really wasn't too affected by the same scene in the first anime.

(And I love the score to this adaptation as well. I will have to go buy some soundtracks eventually.)

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #440 on: 17 Feb 2010, 17:01 »

To be fair, the author encouraged the writers in making the alternate ending, which I found coherent.

I know she encouraged an alternate ending, but that don't mean it turned out good. ;)  I'm not hating on the people who liked it.  I'm just saying I really disliked it.  It seemed like the manga was/is so well thought out and pretty plot-hole free (whereas the first series was rife with holes..).   I understand they had to do what they could though, so props to'em for trying (because I sure couldn't have done any better).

There's a really good article for anyone who wants to read what a lot of the 'haters' feel (as in *actual* reasons other than selfish/idiotic ones)... http://mangapunksai.com/site/fullmetal-alchemist-manga-versus-anime/

Though I *am* biased, so don't expect it to be fair or balanced.

Another good anime: Denno Coil  (It's kind of kid-oriented..but still good! Though I have to be honest, it's got kind of a weak ending.)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #441 on: 17 Feb 2010, 17:09 »

Yes sir, the new series follow the manga more or less to a T minus the first episode which is acts a nice introduction into the seriousness and beauty of the "new" series. It is on Hulu subtitled a week after broadcast in Japan, under the moniker: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Hope you enjoy it SWM.

oh shit i know what i'm doing tonight.

wait does anyone know if hulu works on the PS3 browser? also what the fuck is hulu?

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #442 on: 17 Feb 2010, 17:11 »

An online flash rebroadcast of dozens of TV shows that is blocked to non-American IP addresses.

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #443 on: 17 Feb 2010, 17:18 »

wait does anyone know if hulu works on the PS3 browser? also what the fuck is hulu?

What pilsner said.  Still, if you're going to watch FMA: Brotherhood, I'd recommend the Funimation site as it's usually at least an episode ahead.

Theriandros

« Reply #444 on: 17 Feb 2010, 20:40 »

fuck you episode #10 i was not ready to deal with that guy dying again

bawwwwww

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #445 on: 18 Feb 2010, 20:08 »

I didn't mind the ending to the first version, except that it gave pretty much no closure to the sub-plots that had been running through. And especially with the "every time you use alchemy somebody dies" thing.

The movie was awful though. If you make a movie at the end of a series that didn't give much closure, then make sure the fucking movie gives closure. Don't mix up the characters a bunch in the interim and then bring them back to exactly where they were before the movie started.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Theriandros

« Reply #446 on: 23 Feb 2010, 11:36 »

There's some slight Fridge Logic to that, I think. When juxtaposing the timelines of Earth and Amestris, wouldn't that mean that World War I was about the same time as the alchemy-heavy slaughter in Ishbal (or is it Ishval? I've never been sure)?

Also: I dislike the Xingese characters so far.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #447 on: 23 Feb 2010, 11:44 »

man, I've been having a real bitch of a time trying to watch the new FMA episodes. I managed to catch Episode 2 on Adult Swim on Saturday but I've been unable to watch any of the other episode online on my PS3 (no fucking way I'm sitting in front of my computer to watch anything).

However, they are on Youtube but for some reason wouldn't work the other day. I think my internet might have been geeking out.

That said, however, I really liked episode 2! I think it explained the beginning of their story much better and I like that Mustang came to recruit them, rather than the other way around. Would have liked to have seen the exam though, that was one of my favorite scenes from the first series.

Theriandros

« Reply #448 on: 23 Feb 2010, 11:58 »

Brotherhood's exam scene was better than the first, to be honest.

Especially with King Bradley.

He makes everything better.

I am aware that he's Wrath. He's still cool.

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #449 on: 24 Feb 2010, 07:50 »

I am aware that he's Wrath. He's still cool.

Secret messaaaage!

Just wait until you find out who Pride is. :)  It'll knock your socks off, guaranteed.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up