THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime Recommendations?  (Read 259330 times)

Streltsy

Anime Recommendations?
« on: 05 Mar 2008, 19:48 »

Not sure if this is the right community, but these are pretty much the only forums I actually read.
I don't really know much about anime, used to be a hater. But being bored a while ago I decided to checked some out stuff and I liked it, now I am bored again but don't really know what to get.

I have watched, in order of enjoyment:
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop Series + Movie
Ghost in the Shell Series + Movies
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Jin-Roh (I didn't like really like this)
Paprika (This was horrible)

Can I get some recommendations based on this? Preferably something in Shinichirō Watanabe's (samurai champloo, cowboy bebop) style.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
Re: Anime Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 05 Mar 2008, 19:52 »

Well, if you like Cowboy Bebop the extremely obvious recommendation would be Outlaw Star.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #2 on: 05 Mar 2008, 19:56 »

If you don't like Paprika you can just get the hell out right now.

But uhh.. there are plenty more obvious ones.. Trigun, Paranoia Agent, Gokusen and Blue Gender to name a few of my favorites.
Hate, rain on me

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #3 on: 05 Mar 2008, 20:08 »

Well I said Outlaw Star was obvious because it is similar in a way, only less serious.

Trigun is good, yeah.

I tend to like the less action-y stuff.  I really enjoyed The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Risky/Safety and KEY: The Metal Idol (if you liked Ghost in the Shell you'd probably like that a lot).

Rozen Maiden is good in a hilarious and kind of creepy way.

Great Teacher Onizuka is a funny and heartwarming one.

Ouran High School Host Club is very amusing.  Also rather gay, if that offends you or appeals to you.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #4 on: 05 Mar 2008, 20:30 »

I recommend Serial Experiments Lain, but I've been told it's not something I should recommend lightly.
And I mean, if you haven't seen FLCL, that's kind of essential. Everyone should see FLCL.
Wolf's Rain had a lot of the same people as Cowboy Bebop working on it, but it is way different and sullen and whiny. I liked it. But I don't imagine many other people did.

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #5 on: 05 Mar 2008, 20:59 »

Check out Rurouni Kenshin. The series itself leaves room for improvement, and isn't really what your looking for I think, but the 4-episode OVA is phenomenal and should be right up your alley.

In a completely different Style, Ai Yori Aoshi is pretty decent, if only for how unintentionally misogynistic it can be.

Although I never got to finish the series, the first few episodes of Rah Xephon were pretty damn good for mechanime.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #6 on: 05 Mar 2008, 21:02 »

I recommend Serial Experiments Lain, but I've been told it's not something I should recommend lightly.

Ohhh, yeah.  That is one Hell of a freaky/awesome show.

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #7 on: 05 Mar 2008, 22:01 »

Uhm, Neon Genesis Evangelion?  It's one of my favorites and like most everything that's been mentioned in this thread that I know of.

And I mean, if you haven't seen FLCL, that's kind of essential. Everyone should see FLCL.

Seconded.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #8 on: 05 Mar 2008, 22:06 »

I honestly find Neon Genesis Evangelion pretty hard to get into or sit through.

Yeah, it's amusing when you get to the part where the author went batshit insane and all that, but for me it just isn't that appealing on the whole.

As far as old classics, StarBlazers is some good kitschy fun.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #9 on: 05 Mar 2008, 23:04 »

Evangelion is boring hormonal garbage. It's good when you're thirteen. Lain's pretty fantastic.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Fletch

« Reply #10 on: 05 Mar 2008, 23:09 »

I liked Evangelion until they ran out of budget & started scribbling with internal monologues. The movies were ok, though. Heh ... 2008 ... 1997 ... saw it in 2000 or so ... I was in high school at the time, at least. :P
Bleach? If you can handle knowing that the main characters are in an endless cycle of not quite being powerful enough to beat the next bad guy ... it's good. (breath)
I enjoyed Hikaru no Go ... it's something a bit different, considering it's all about Go. (also suffers from the same condition as Bleach, etc :roll:)
One Piece - I've never seen it, but heard it's good.
Patlabor - the first one was good, after that it got a bit too artsy for me to do anything but fall asleep. I watched one (second? not sure if it was second or third) with my cousin; afterwards I turned around and the only thing I could comment on was how well drawn the backgrounds were.
RahXephon, Appleseed ... I really haven't seen anything recent, have I? What exactly has come out of Japan in the last year?

Thirded for FLCL.
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2008, 23:10 by Fletch »

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 05 Mar 2008, 23:15 »

My one problem with One Piece is that it is long as hell.  I remember that I stopped watching it for a few months, turned it back on, and they were in the same exact storyline.  I can't say which version is better, but I will have to lean more towards the Funnymation version as they got rid of the horrible rap intro.

FLCL is unanimous

Oh, also try Air Gear, Death Note, and Coyote Ragtime Show

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #12 on: 05 Mar 2008, 23:21 »

I prefer Excel Saga to FLCL in the "wacky" category.

Welcome to the NHK is pretty hilarious, too.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #13 on: 06 Mar 2008, 00:16 »

I don't know much about anime series other than that they go on for 800 episodes. I like 4-6 episode minis/movies a lot more, since they generally make for awesome wastes of an afternoon.

Afro Samurai - To be honest I don't know anything about any hype revolving this mini, it has Sam Jackson and Kelly Hu in it, it's fucking awesome, and it is incredibly badass. I can't think of any reason for someone to hate on it.

Macross Plus - Way more japanese, about two rival military companies developing jets that transform into mobile suits in which they use for outer limits skirmishes over resources in asteroid fields. The two test pilots go back through to being rivals in high school who both love the same woman who comes back into play and it escalates into a very awesome and unexpected series of events.

Gundam Wing Endless Duel - I don't remember as much about this one, though I remember liking it quite a bit more than the series (more politics/war, less homoeroticism taking precedence over said politics/war) and was also about giant mech suits with big guns. Pretty wicked all around.

You already mentioned the Miyazaki animes, so I can only back those recommendations.

Cowboy Bebop is awesome, always recommended, always good.

There is an incoming Batman miniseries being produced by varying anime directors and animators that I'm looking forward to very much. The western developers have described it as springing from the much grittier detective aspect of Batman's now assumed incredible ingenuity and intelligence, and focuses a lot on the samurai-esque relationship between Batman and the parallel villain Deadshot. It's called Batman The Gotham Knight, and is released June(july?) 6th.

now for what I don't personally back: Ghost in the Shell (movie). I thought it was totally garbage and overhyped considering how bored I was watching it. Maybe it was bad timing but I thought there wasn't enough follow through to back it up. Evangelion as mentioned by Johnny earlier is all good and fun when you're 12-13, but totally loses any appeal following those years.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #14 on: 06 Mar 2008, 01:50 »

Berserk guys.

Berserk

I'm actually watching Escaflowne right now. A friend gave it to me 6 months ago and I'm only starting to watch it now, up to the third episode. It's alright. I'm not afraid to admit it but I love Naruto. First seasons are pretty much dry balls, and then it gets good. Really crazy good. Dragonball Z without the 10 episode powering up.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #15 on: 06 Mar 2008, 02:14 »

I don't know much about anime series other than that they go on for 800 episodes.

Then you don't know much at all because the VAST majority of animes are 11-26 episodes in length.  Only crap like Dragonball Z and Pokemon go on "forever".

CEOVanilla

« Reply #16 on: 06 Mar 2008, 03:44 »

Princess Princess is fun if you're into crossdressers. I'm pretty sure you can find it on YouTube or Veoh. Gravitation's pretty cool too, but it's about . . . I guess bisexuals falling in love. If that's not your thing, I always remember Outlaw Star being pretty good as already mentioned. I've heard in a chat room I go to that "Elfen Lied" is good, though I've never seen it. I don't like much anime.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #17 on: 06 Mar 2008, 11:27 »

Whoa, whoa, whoa...Graviation is a yaoi (well...shouen-ai) about a ROCK BAND. Suichi falls in love with Yuki, who is a famous writer, except that Yuki is running away from a horrible past where he was nearly molested by a tutor whilst in America, so he doesn't want to get involved ith Suichi.... Jeez. No one is bisexual, where did that come from?

Princess Princess is cute --about an all-boys school where the cutest (prettiest) boys are asked to dress as girls for special occasions to boost the boys moral (There is obviously a bigger story, but that's why they're cross dressing).

Elfen Leid is supposed to be very graphic --we were going to watch it at my anime club, but then they were like, "Nooo, lets not chance getting into trouble". I'm not sure if it's graphic sexually or if it's very gory --I have an inkling it may be both?

...Now that I'm done commenting, may I also suggest Rosario Vampire, which is of my new favorites (I like cute monsters!), Pumpkin Scissors, Blood+, Welcome to the NHK, Cardcaptor Sakura, and everyone should watch Honey and Clover. It's adorable.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2008, 11:29 by ThePQ4 »

rancidhooligan

« Reply #18 on: 06 Mar 2008, 12:32 »

Ninja Scroll, Fist of the Northstar, Initial D.

Calaveth

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #19 on: 06 Mar 2008, 12:54 »

Given that you like Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop, I'd recommend Guardian of the Sacred Spirit (or Seirei no Moribito), a fantasy story about a female body guard taking care of a prince targeted for assassination. It's a good story (way more coherent than the sun flower samurai chasing of Samurai Champloo), and the animation is first class. It's from the same people that did Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex, and you can sort of see it in the art.

Another samurai based show is Peacemaker Kurogane, which is a bit on the comedy side. Well worth seeing.

Then there is Full Metal Panic, which is a fantastic mix of counter terrorism, mecha fights and romantic high school comedy. It's run for three seasons, and each has a slightly different flavor - first season more serious, second season full on wacky comedy, third season in comparison really grim in tone.

« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2008, 14:15 by Calaveth »

singeivoire

« Reply #20 on: 06 Mar 2008, 13:10 »

Bleach? If you can handle knowing that the main characters are in an endless cycle of not quite being powerful enough to beat the next bad guy ... it's good. (breath)

I second this - Bleach is not flawless, but it is good times. I recommend skipping the bount arc, though - it's pretty lame filler crap. Once they start talking about vampires, just jump to episode 110 and don't look back.

Death Note

Haha! I like Death Note. I recommend if you can tolerate a neverending stream of convoluted quasai-logic and intellectual manouvering. Seriously - that's every episode. It does keep one on one's toes, though - suprisingly enough.

Calaveth

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #21 on: 06 Mar 2008, 13:47 »

Oh, and Black Fucking Lagoon. I can't believe forgetting it. It's so kick ass you'll wonder what hit you.

imapiratearg

« Reply #22 on: 06 Mar 2008, 13:50 »

Also I am so insanely disappointed this thread has gotten to 19 replies and noone has mentioned Hellsing! It is a pretty excellent anime.

Hey, yeah!  What the hell?

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #23 on: 06 Mar 2008, 14:00 »

Because Hellsing isn't very good?

Eh, I don't know, ignore me.  I tend to dislike most of the anime that most people seem to like, with the rare exception like Cowboy Bebop.  Honestly most of the things being recommended in here are either really old, really "geared toward teenage males", or both.

I'd recommend getting an account on aznv.tv (it's cheap) and watching some much more recent stuff that isn't about vampires or giant robots or whatever.  But that's just me.

(Seriously, Welcome to the NHK)

imapiratearg

« Reply #24 on: 06 Mar 2008, 14:04 »

I never really thought that there was anime geared specifically towards teenage males.  I mean, I'm not surprised by it, I just thought that Japanese culture kind of had a sort of subjective or objective view of women in their culture.  I'm pretty positive there is anime geared towards teenage females, though.  Fruits Basket or Ranma 1/2, for example.  Inuyasha could probably be lumped in there, even though I liked it a lot.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #25 on: 06 Mar 2008, 14:05 »

Death Note

Haha! I like Death Note. I recommend if you can tolerate a neverending stream of convoluted quasai-logic and intellectual manouvering. Seriously - that's every episode. It does keep one on one's toes, though - suprisingly enough.

Yeah to me it's like a more dramatic, but slightly less convoluted version of the GITS series.  Which makes it better in my opinion

Oh and seconds to Hellsing, Bleach sans Bount arc, Trigun, and especially FLCL </avatar reference>
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #26 on: 06 Mar 2008, 14:26 »

Hellsing is kinda fun. It's best approached as a "brain off, eyeballs on" type of show. It pees on your petty demands for maturity and nuanced narrative.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Calaveth

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #27 on: 06 Mar 2008, 14:33 »

This is a pretty good place to start looking for shows: http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php
That list is based on user ratings. Not all of those shows fit your request - there's not a lot out there that is "Watanabe-like", but I'm sure you can find something you'll like.

Aceandcups

« Reply #28 on: 06 Mar 2008, 14:42 »

You didn't like Paprika, but someone else mentioned Paranoia Agent. Both are made by the same person, but Paranoia Agent is really much more approachable. Tokyo Godfathers, Perfect Blue - all from the same director.

And of course Akira.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #29 on: 06 Mar 2008, 14:52 »

I never really thought that there was anime geared specifically towards teenage males.  I mean, I'm not surprised by it, I just thought that Japanese culture kind of had a sort of subjective or objective view of women in their culture.

All I can say is that it sounds like you haven't actually watched a wide variety of anime or Japanese things in general, because - and this is not an insult, just an observation - what you said up there is very ignorant.

(And, for reference, anime/manga geared towards teenage boys = shonen, anime geared towards teenage girls = shojo.  They are equally large genres.  Other than those, there are animes which span all genres and styles.  It is a factor of which anime has been brought over to America and promoted here that people have such a biased view of "what anime is".)

imapiratearg

« Reply #30 on: 06 Mar 2008, 16:50 »

I realize that was a sort of ignorant statement, and you are correct to assume I haven't seen a very wide variety of animes.  I did not intend to offend anyone with what I said, it isn't what I actually believe, but more of a passing observation or assumption based on the way women are usually drawn in animes.  Which is surely a very poor way to derive a conclusion about an entire group of people.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #31 on: 06 Mar 2008, 17:12 »

I prefer Excel Saga to FLCL in the "wacky" category.

FLCL is like a wackiness rocket launcher, Excel Saga like a wackiness machine gun turret. There's something in both for everyone, but choosing between the two is ultimately a matter of specialization.

I second Fist of the Northstar, FMA, Trigun, Tokyo Godfathers, Perfect Blue (Did anyone else like Millenium Actress? Cus I did), Ninja Scroll, and Hellsing up to as point, but not actually the whole thing. At some point the storyline shifts and the show becomes not as good. if you don't mind mangas, the Hellsing mangas I find are more entertaining.
Oh, and Rurouni Kenshin. But really, you could just watch season 2, and ignore the rest of the show.

What else? Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is basically better than the movie.  Seasons 1 and 2 of that are both great. 

Finally (this is getting kind of long) people should watch Kino's Journey. It's very episodic rather than serial and every episode is like a weird examination of a hypothetically posed philosophical dilemma. It's awesome, do it up.

imapiratearg

« Reply #32 on: 06 Mar 2008, 17:43 »

Ghost In the Shell: SAC is awesome.  I haven't seen it in forever, but I remember loving every bit of it.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #33 on: 06 Mar 2008, 18:15 »

I tend to stick with OVAs since they don't suffer from the billion episode syndrome and generally have higher production values. Really though, as Zerodrone said earlier, it's quite rare that billion episode syndrom becomes a big problem, and it usually only affects anime adaptations of manga series, particularly super popular ones that are still in production (unfortunately, these are some of the most visible anime productions of all, hence why so many people are misled into thinking this is common). Although I haven't watched it myself, I'm under the impression that Rurouni Kenshin is one of the best examples of this phenomenon. Basically, the manga was incomplete and the anime production schedule eventually resulted in the television series catching up with and outpacing the manga author. The resulting filler episodes resulted sapped the show's popularity and eventually resulted in cancellation, despite the initial success of the series. See Also: Naruto, Inuyasha, One Piece, etc.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #34 on: 06 Mar 2008, 18:36 »

This is quite true, exactly what happened. But still, there was a time for RK when everything fell into place. The 2nd season is really awesome. And the OVAs of it are good.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #35 on: 06 Mar 2008, 19:04 »

Because Hellsing isn't very good?

OUR MISSION IS TO PUNISH ANY HERETIC WHO WOULD DENY THE WORD OF GOD! WE WILL CRUSH YOUR UNHOLY BODY AND SALT THE EARTH WITH YOUR DUST. AMEN!

Most casual fans exposure to Hellsing is probably through the 13 episode series produced by Gonzo. Though there are some very good points to this series (the soundtrack, use of colour and voice acting, at least on the Japanese version). It also falls short in a number of ways. The story is schizophrenic, mixing elements of Kouta Hirano's original manga with new storylines and characters invented by writers with little feel for Hirano's original material. Although the attempts to heighten realism are brave at times, especially in the first half of the series, it all falls apart when they tried to wrap the series up. It's a classic example of why you should never start a series when the manga is not complete. Additionally, the art is not up to scratch at all. Animation work was carried out by at least two seperate studios who apparently never met, leading to inconsistent colour matching and character design. The CGI animation is extremely crude, and most of the budget seems to have been blown on a few short, though impressive, combat sequences. It's what got me into Hellsing, but it isn't HELLSING.

Fortunately, kids nowadays have another option: The Ultimate OVA. Matching Hirano's manga pretty much word for word and frame for frame, with a huge animation budget aided by slick, modern CGI. Yes, it is still basically about the Knights of the Round Table using Count Dracula to kill Nazi Vampires and the Inquisition. If you do not think that is an awesome premise for a media franchise, you quite patently suck.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #36 on: 06 Mar 2008, 19:06 »

Evangelion is boring hormonal garbage. It's good when you're thirteen. Lain's pretty fantastic.

You see, I still like Evangelion. Maybe it's because I'm still emotionally a thirteen year old, or maybe it's because I just remember how much it spoke to me at that age, but it'll always have that place. I'm not sure how good it would be for somebody who didn't see it around that age, though.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #37 on: 06 Mar 2008, 19:16 »

Evangelion's angst meter is over 9000.

About the only episode I remember enjoying from start to finish was "Dance like you want to win." Maybe it wasn't perfect, but it managed to stay true to the already established characterizations without wallowing in doom and gloom as much as in other episodes.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #38 on: 06 Mar 2008, 20:30 »

I didn't know there was a "new" Hellsing.  I am intrigued.  Too bad they don't have it on aznv yet apparently.

I have had a girl telling me for almost 2 years to watch Honey and Clover, so I'm going to give it a shot.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #39 on: 06 Mar 2008, 21:02 »

Evangelion is boring hormonal garbage. It's good when you're thirteen.

WAY TO MISS THE POINT but you've probably heard that a thousand times.

ThePQ4

« Reply #40 on: 06 Mar 2008, 21:31 »

I have had a girl telling me for almost 2 years to watch Honey and Clover, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Watch it!!! Hagu is sooooo cute!! It totally doesn't end the way you would expect. It is great. I highly reccomend it. Shojo-Jump has also started to run the manga, if that is something you are interested in.

Streltsy

« Reply #41 on: 06 Mar 2008, 21:52 »

Ho~ Lots more replies than I was expecting, thanks everyone, it'll take awhile to go through this. Also, thanks for the link to that site, good to know a place where I can just float through stuff until I find something I like instead of always asking for recommendations (this is what I do with music usually).

Just to pitch in on the 'thousand episode syndrome' thing, this is actually what biased me againest anime at first when I was a kid (pokemon, DBZ, Gundam, etc.). And also when I was a bit older I knew a couple of people who were into anime, but it was stuff like Naruto, Bleach, and Inyuasha (I saw the last there, and even though it was  better than DBZ it still seemed a bit silly).

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #42 on: 06 Mar 2008, 23:53 »

The comparison between FLCL and Excel Saga is interesting. I wouldn't have thought of that, because I've always felt that there was a thematic heft and depth to FLCL - though, of course, parts of it are indeed wacky and hilarious - that separates it from other anime comedies. Maybe it's the tinge of angst, which Excel Saga lacks completely (to glorious effect - it's probably the funniest anime I've ever seen). Regardless, I'd wholly endorse FLCL, as it's absolute genius and my favorite anime. By all means see Excel Saga too.

And I gather the OP has already seen both the GitS movies and series, so I'll just send out a big ol' WTF to those of you who think the series is better. I gather that it's closer to the manga, but I just love the movies so stinkin' much. I thought the series was pretty bland by comparison.

No love for Jin-Roh, though? Come on! Talk about gut-wrenching. It's beautiful.

Also a yes for Serial Experiments Lain; although be warned: it's weird.

Finally, if you've got the time (it's 74 episodes all told - not quite a billion), I'd say that Monster is well worth checking out. Great psychological drama/horror.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #43 on: 07 Mar 2008, 02:25 »

All I remember about the first Ghost in the Shell film, and this is based on watching it once about 10 years ago, is that after it was over my friends and girlfriend and I were not very happy and I think I said something like "Well, that was a very boring French art movie, only animated."   :-)

LadyFirelyght

• Plantmonster
  • I fart in your general direction.
« Reply #44 on: 07 Mar 2008, 04:08 »

I am currently watching One Piece and Naruto. I was skeptical of both at first, but they've quite grown on me. So much so that I long for the next episode to be released.
I'm suspicious of any food that makes its own packaging. There could be spiders inside!

Calaveth

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #45 on: 07 Mar 2008, 04:47 »

I think the Ghost in the Shell movies get better and better - the first one was novel only because it was among the very first anime I ever saw. In comparison, the latest of the movies was really good.

Same thing with the tv series, really. Stand Alone Complex was good, but the ideas were clearer and the story more focused in the Second Gig. I preferred them both to the movies though.

CEOVanilla

« Reply #46 on: 07 Mar 2008, 05:04 »

ThePQ4: Well, I called the characters in Gravitation bisexual because they're obviously not card-carrying homosexuals based on their past relationships and the dialogue. What I've always wondered how much money the N-G Corporation was losing in that series. I'd imagine their business model is similar to Warner Music Group, and I think we all know how well that company is doing.

Imapiratearg: I always liked the Fruit Basket and Ranma because of the ridiculous antics the characters are always getting in to. Maybe I'm the only one, but I thought Ranma was particularly hilarious in particular.

Zerodrone: You can watch the Hellsing OVAs on YouTube. Check them out. They're a lot better than the series was.

singeivoire

« Reply #47 on: 07 Mar 2008, 06:38 »

Naruto.

Yeah, I'm roped into keeping up with this one too, but the anime is PAINFULLY slow. I think I clocked a single battle lasting 12 episodes once - granted, it was interrupted by flashbacks etc., but still - a bit excessive. I stick with the manga now - it wastes less of my time. There are a whole slew of good characters though...

Also, as was mentioned before, beware of the filler episodes.

ThePQ4

« Reply #48 on: 07 Mar 2008, 06:57 »

ThePQ4: Well, I called the characters in Gravitation bisexual because they're obviously not card-carrying homosexuals based on their past relationships and the dialogue. What I've always wondered how much money the N-G Corporation was losing in that series.

LOSING? On Gravitation? Ha! I doubt very much that they are losing money. Gravitation is one of the most highly reccomended yaoi anime series --especially since there are so damn few of them. Manga is in great supply, but finding a GOOD anime is hard to come by --OVAs are around in abundance, but a series are rare --there's only a few of them, and most of them are only shouen-ai, or suggestive (like Ouran High School Host Club).  You have no idea how many yaoi-fan girls there are in the world, and we're creating more every day.

Oh, and I would definantly call Suichi "card carrying". Yuki may be bi, but Suichi is pretty gay.  Either way, thats not what the series is about.

Calaveth

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #49 on: 07 Mar 2008, 07:39 »

If you're absolutely set on watching Naruto, watch it until Sasuke leaves the village, then skip forward to Naruto Shippuuden where the story picks up again. You'll save yourself some hundred episodes of nothing happening.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up