THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime Recommendations?  (Read 259333 times)

Muskrat121

Re: Anime Recommendations?
« Reply #50 on: 07 Mar 2008, 10:21 »

Last Exile is fantastic.  I highly recomend it.  I saw a couple episodes on G4 late night one night a couple years back and was hooked.

Iria is pretty good too.

Alexander Senki (Reign: The Conqueror) is just totally messed up.  It was done by the same guy that did Æon Flux, which I also recomend.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2008, 06:26 by Muskrat121 »

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #51 on: 07 Mar 2008, 11:35 »

I'm slowly working my way through all of Outlaw Star and not enjoying it very much.

I fuckng hated Key the Metal Idol- any series where you have to have TWO ENTIRE FUCKING EPISODES of one character EXPLAINING THE PLOT to another character just for it to make any sense is utter bullshit.

Serial Experiments: Lain is everything Key tried to be, only good (and quite creepy in parts).

I dislike Evangelion because JESUS GOD THE ANGST. It's like the Japanese Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

You basically can't go wrong with anything by Miyazaki. I enjoyed the hell out of Haibane Renmei, but it is depressing as fuck.

I have probably watched and rewatched all of Azumanga Daioh a hundred times by now. It's like the Japanese version of Peanuts. Also, it's really fun to go through and watch all the different tricks they use to skimp on animation.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #52 on: 07 Mar 2008, 11:47 »

Oh, also Dragon Half.

And if you're not reading the Vagabond manga you're missing out on the greatest thing to happen to comics since Watchmen.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #53 on: 07 Mar 2008, 12:30 »

I've wanted to check out Vagabond, but I'm still broke and disillusioned from all the cash I spent on Blade of the Immortal.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #54 on: 07 Mar 2008, 14:19 »

I dislike Evangelion because JESUS GOD THE ANGST. It's like the Japanese Johnny the Homicidal Maniac.

That's hardly fair. JTHM is quite funny at points.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #55 on: 07 Mar 2008, 14:57 »

Azumanga Daioh is really great, despite the fact that it launched a thousand memes.

@PQ4 - I'm a guy and I like Ouran Host Club.   :-(
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Kwang

« Reply #56 on: 07 Mar 2008, 15:16 »

Spriggan is worth checking out. It's a movie, not a series, so it's short and to-the-point, and the animation is top-quality.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #57 on: 07 Mar 2008, 16:13 »

Hmm. The few people I occasionally talk to who are way into anime tried to push Ouran Host Club on me but I haven't really had time. Come to think of it I haven't really watched any tv in months. Maybe I'll make that the next thing I pick up.

Having only seen pictures and not actually knowing anything about it, I've wanted to think it has a feel kind of similar to Furuba. Is that at all true?

Calaveth

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #58 on: 07 Mar 2008, 16:31 »

@PQ4 - I'm a guy and I like Ouran Host Club.   :-(

Not strange, since it's simply freaking funny.

Having only seen pictures and not actually knowing anything about it, I've wanted to think it has a feel kind of similar to Furuba. Is that at all true?

Er, I wouldn't exactly compare the two, but sure. In the loosest sense. There are more dark undertones in Furuba than there are in Ouran though, which is more pure comedy. It's really a parody of the reverse harem genre. All the bishonen archetypes are there, taken to their extremes and made fun of.

CEOVanilla

« Reply #59 on: 07 Mar 2008, 19:05 »

PQ4: I think you didn't understand what I meant. I meant the fictional record company in Gravitation, not the series itself.

I also like what I've seen of Ouran Host Club. Admittedly, I stopped watching after two episodes of magical fairytale land or whatever. That was a bit too much for me.

Streltsy

« Reply #60 on: 07 Mar 2008, 19:40 »

FLCL... wtf? Hella incoherent, but fun.

Going to start with (if anyone cares):
Trigun
Serial Experiments Lain
Black Lagoon
Shigurui (got this last one from the site, saw first episode and I really liked art style)

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #61 on: 08 Mar 2008, 00:51 »

Watch Kanon 2006.  It's not action oriented . . but expand your boundaries. 

Monster is another good different genre series.  Great mystery series, though a touch on the long side.

Back to the action (in no order):
      Baccano!  (This is a confusing anime at first, but it DOES all make sense by the end.  It's good . . great even.  And it's unlicensed.  d/l it http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1057.html
      Fate/Stay Night
      Ghost in a Shell
      Death Note (first story arc)
      Naruto (until filler) OR Bleach   -   Only watch one of these because they're huuuge.  Go with Bleach, imo.  Naruto is more childish and annoying after a while.
      Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit   -   I can't suggest this one enough.  It's a great story, great animation, drama/action, season 2 based on book 2 coming up.
      Code Geass  -  The ending will piss you off (cliffhanger for 2nd season)

Stay away from:
     Neon Genesis Evangelion  -  I can't even explain to you my hatred for this series.  It reminds me off emo power rangers

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #62 on: 08 Mar 2008, 07:50 »

I like how people are mentioning these movies as if they have nothing to do with each other.  You're going to notice certain trends running through these lists.  First of all:

-- Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) directed by Isao Takahata is one of my favorite movies full stop, and is included by many Western critics in their "best ever" lists.  If you haven't seen it, it's probably going to make you cry.  It's about a brother and sister trying to survive the aftermath of the Allied bombing of Japan at the end of WWII.

-- Satoshi Kon directed Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, and the series Paranoia Agent.  I think all of these movies are worth watching, with Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers and Paranoia Agent being among my favorite anime ever.  In all of Kon's movies you're going to see an inquiry into what is real, what is fantasy, how fantasy can twist reality, and also the man loves trannies.  Just loves 'em.

-- Hayao Miyazaki, founder of studio Ghibli is probably the most beloved anime director on these forums and in the world, and has directed an incredible number of exceptional movies (which he continues to do despite being theoretically retired) including: Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Porco Rosso, and Spirited Away.  Most recently he did Howl's Moving Castle, which I can't really recommend but which I know a lot of people on the forum enjoyed.  Spirited Away is up there with Grave of the Fireflies among my favorite movies ever -- it's an epic of a young girl whose parents were turned into pigs and who has to work as a maid in a bathhouse for the spirits to rescue them.

-- Mamoru Oshii directed Patlabor, Patlabor II, Ghost in the Shell, Ghost in the Shell II: Innocence, and the live action movie Avalon (sort of the Matrix but way, way better).  His movies tend to involve themes about the definition of humanity, the consequences of rapid adoption of technology and robotics, the  conspiracies that inevitably crop up in politics, and what happens when you fire really, really big guns.  Also, for whatever reason, invisibility in an Oshii film seems to require getting nekkid.  I love Oshii for his ability to combine excellent action sequences with philosophical inquiry but for a Fist of the North Star fan it must be excruciating.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #63 on: 08 Mar 2008, 08:12 »

I honestly find Miyazaki's work to be tolerable at best, from a story standpoint.  There's no denying his visual skills, but I just find his films fairly tedious.  I fell asleep during Princess Mononoke.

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #64 on: 08 Mar 2008, 09:54 »

Princess Monoke is really up and down.  It's terribly boring in some parts and pretty awesome in others.  Howl's Moving Castle is his best, in my opinion.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #65 on: 08 Mar 2008, 20:33 »

Definitely Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind for me.

I think a lot of people must find his movies intolerably slow, but I love his pacing. He makes room for a lot of characters.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #66 on: 08 Mar 2008, 20:38 »

Perfect Blue.
And I really loved the whole thing of Princess Monoke! Same with Spirited Away.

Also, alot of the anime on adult swim were really good.

Not fuse though, their anime is shit.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

imapiratearg

« Reply #67 on: 09 Mar 2008, 18:29 »

Before G4 and TechTV were fused into one, the latter of the two had this show on called Anime Unleashed.  It played some pretty awesome stuff sometimes.  I watched this one series called Betterman on it.  It was really weird, but kind of cool.

And I really loved the whole thing of Princess Monoke! Same with Spirited Away.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Princess Mononoke, and yes, Spirited Away is absolutely wonderful.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #68 on: 09 Mar 2008, 18:31 »

Also,

Ergo Proxy was the most confusing, most whiny, most emo show ever.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #69 on: 09 Mar 2008, 19:54 »

You're wrong. I'd go into more detail, but we already covered NGE.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

HarperLufro

« Reply #70 on: 10 Mar 2008, 03:06 »

Denno Coil
and
Mai-HiME
are both really great animes.

They're of the "starts-light-hearted-but-takes-a-serious-turn-a-number-of-episodes-in" strain.

Calaveth

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #71 on: 10 Mar 2008, 12:26 »

I'll especially second the recommendation of Denno Coil. It's fantastic.

Beck should appeal a lot of people here I think. It's a coming of age story about a kid that gets an electric guitar as a gift, and about that period of his life, dealing with high school bullies, with first love, and of course, rock music.

Some other good ones: Oh! Edo Rocket, Minami-Ke, Clannad, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

camelpimp

« Reply #72 on: 10 Mar 2008, 19:08 »

That's hardly fair. JTHM is quite funny at points.

To be fair, JTHM was actually trying to be funny.

And I'm so glad that people finally seem to realize en-masse (although this perception will likely change when I read the WHOLE thread) that Evangelion fucking sucked. I would say fuck Anno, but he did direct the GOOD part of Kare Kano. And a sex comedy with hamsters.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2008, 19:16 by camelpimp »

StreetSpirit

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #73 on: 10 Mar 2008, 20:35 »

Monster.

Mushi-shi.

Gankutsuouo.
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

imapiratearg

« Reply #74 on: 10 Mar 2008, 21:50 »

Evangelion fucking sucked.

:[

But the giant fighting robots!  Surely, bad ass fight scenes in End of Evangelion make up for the whiny-ness of the rest of the series?

Right guys?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #75 on: 10 Mar 2008, 22:32 »

Asuka's last stand (which, admittedly is 100% unadulterated bad-ass) lasts almost exactly ten minutes.

How long is Evangelion as a whole?

To be fair, Evangelion is intended to be sort of a deconstruction of the cliches of the giant robots genre, but it doesn't exactly make for a particularly fun viewing experience. If you want that kind of stuff, I'd go for Hideaki Anno's directorial debut, Gunbuster. The heroine admittedly goes into a Shinji-like break-down, but then she pulls herself together and starts killing space monsters

MILLIONS of space monsters. With J-Pop and fanservice and massive fleets of battlecruisers and lasers and atom bombs flying fucking everywhere.

I rather like Gunbuster.

[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #76 on: 11 Mar 2008, 00:04 »

On the opposite spectrum of things...

If you want to subject yourself to a ton of pain, watch A Little Snow Fairy Sugar

dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

StarmanJr

« Reply #77 on: 11 Mar 2008, 13:47 »

come on. no one has mentioned gantz yet?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PUFlhekafT4

okay, so it is frustrating to the max, and is a bitch at drawing out action and such, but the brazen rush it delivers in some of the episodes makes it golden in my opinion. like ichi the killer, some things need to be seen at least once for shock value. yeah, they can put that shit on tv. heavily edited, but you get the point.

HarperLufro

« Reply #78 on: 11 Mar 2008, 15:35 »

I'd go for Hideaki Anno's directorial debut, Gunbuster.

Or you can go for his hilarious, yet ridiculously and overwhelmingly perverted, anime Ebichu the Housekeeping Hamster (Oruchuban Ebichu).
It's surprising how constant sexual innuendos and explicit violence done right can make for lots of laughs.
I forgot about how I came across it and I remember being somewhat disappointed in myself for watching it
as some parts are downright gross.

But the hilarity. It is redeeming I guess.
And so is Ebichuman (muh avatar).
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2008, 15:40 by HarperLufro »

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #79 on: 11 Mar 2008, 19:00 »

-- Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) directed by Isao Takahata is one of my favorite movies full stop, and is included by many Western critics in their "best ever" lists.  If you haven't seen it, it's probably going to make you cry.  It's about a brother and sister trying to survive the aftermath of the Allied bombing of Japan at the end of WWII.

I think the most apt description I've heard is that "[Grave of the Fireflies] makes you want to crawl into a hole and not come back out."  Oddly enough it didn't make me cry, but I saw it when I was already kind of dead inside.

But yeah. Basically a ridiculously good movie.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #80 on: 11 Mar 2008, 20:12 »

If you want to subject yourself to a ton of pain, watch A Little Snow Fairy Sugar

What's wrong with Sugar?  For what it is, it's cute.

Not as good as Bottle Fairies, but still.

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #81 on: 11 Mar 2008, 21:35 »

I am by no means "hardcore" into the anime world, so Ill stick to reccomending what I know, and try and provide information to possibly assist you in watching/not watching something I reccomend.

Some of what I will reccomend have been mentioned, but I will reiterate:

Berserk  - My favorite anime series ever made.  HOWEVER, this comes with a warning.  The anime series is almost entirely character build up, and the story STOPS after the biggest turning point.  If you do not read manga, this anime WILL dissapoint you.  However, if you do enjoy/read manga, and are willing to read through about 8000 pages (33 issues x ~200-250 pages per) the story is fantastic, the action is amazing, and the little bit of lighthearted humor (via Puck).  If you have no intention of reading the best currently running manga in existence(IMO), don't bother watching the Anime.  (for reference, my folder of unzipped Berserk manga is just about 2 gigs).  Also, the scene in which Gatsu gets the Armor of the Berserk (where my icon is from) is an amazing issue.

Elfen Lied - Another one with a warning.  It is INCREDIBLY violent, and contains many images of young female nudity.  I enjoyed the plot from start to finish and I enjoyed the character of Lucy/Nyu, but it certainly is not for everyone.

Perfect Blue - Mentioned before by someone else, a great Hitchcockian thriller.  If you like psychological thriller/mysteries, its a great watch, and at least in my experience, something completely atypical of a "standard" anime drama / movie.

Texhnolyze - a weird, but intriguing collection of episodes... explaining them doesn't at all do them justice, but it focuses around an underground world and the technology there.  Made by many of the same people who gave us the fantastic Serial Experiments: Lain, so take that however.

Spriggan - there is some plot, but its far more of a turn-your-brain-off-and-enjoy-the-amazing-action-sequences.

S-Cry-Ed - the manga for this series is shit, but the anime took a shitty manga and turned it into something amazing.  On the surface, its a mindless action foray dealing with people with powers known as "Alters" that allow them to take matter around them and reform it into something else (usually representative of their character)  the main character wraps his arm in armor and punches things, another characters alter is to make a giant smashy robot, etc.  It isnt the deepest anime ever made, but it does touch on a lot of public issues, and the characters are incredibly well developed.  The plot gets a bit goofy towards the end, but all in all, an amazing series.

Neon Genesis Evangalion - as other people have said, its VERY angsty, so its definently not for everyone.  And the series does kind of fall apart towards the end, gives you more questions than answers, and the two "follow-up" movies dont help very much.  However, I still find it interesting and enjoyable (if a bit tedious at times).

RaXephon - Neon Genesis Lite.  It is very nearly the exact same story, a lot faster paced, better action, and less "God" thrown around.  A much more enjoyable watch than NGE, if not as deep.  Also, don't bother with the movie, its the same story as the TV show, condensed into ~2 hours.

Wolf's Rain - Very heavily seeped in Japanese mythology / culture.  I've read that the series makes far more sense if you know a lot about Japanese history / culture / mythology, but all in all, still a good series, if approaching the angsty side a bit much.

Hellsing - watch the Ultimate version, no contest.  Vampires, big guns, action, Alucard, etc.

Vampire Hunter D - similar conceptually to the "Blade" movies, but more atmospheric, a VERY non-traditional plot, set in the future, despite how it looks.  But, theres still a decent bit of action and blood, so if you are into that, its definently worth watching.

Ninja Scroll - Both the first move and the short series (I wasnt a huge fan of the second movie).  Predominantly action oriented, but a decent story as well.

Other titles of note:

Gantz - I dunno about this one... Ive watched the first 8 episodes, and Im having an incredibly hard time staying interested in it.  Everything involving the room and Gantz itself is interesting, but the whole subplot with the main character and the girl is awkward and distracting IMO.

Burst Angel - Ive only watched one episode, so I cannot truly make a "OMG U SHUD WATCH DIS" reccomendation, but it did catch my interest, I just havent had time to keep watching.  Seems (and I could be off base) to be action oriented / less plot.

The SoulTaker / Soul Taker - I remember enjoying watching this series, but getting so lost watching it, and having a hard time keeping up with the story.  Its weird, and I remember it being a bit convoluted, but possibly something worth checking out.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2008, 06:21 by Statik »
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #82 on: 12 Mar 2008, 01:02 »

RaXephon - Neon Genesis Lite.  It is very nearly the exact same story, a lot faster paced, better action, and less "God" thrown around.  A much more enjoyable watch than NGE, if not as deep.  Also, don't bother with the movie, its the same story as the TV show, condensed into ~2 hours.

see this is why i've been avoiding this series...the god stuff is what makes evangelion worth watching

in terms of recomendations i've noticed that although individual film's are getting mentioned no one seems to have recomended satoshi kon's work as a whole so i'll go ahead and do that
(in case you don't know)
  • perfect blue
  • milenium actress
  • tokyo godfathers
  • paranoia agent
  • paprika
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Statik

• Furry furrier
« Reply #83 on: 12 Mar 2008, 06:29 »

He said in the first post he didn't like Paprika, so he may not like the others.  I think they are great, but I picked Perfect Blue over the others to reccomend simply because I had seen it first, and it had such an impact on me.

RaXephon's central theme is music which may or may not be appealing to you.  I guess saying it is the exact, or nearly the exact same story is a slight exaggeration, but it is very very similar.  A kid, related to someone in a secret/public organization reluctantly takes the reins of a giant robot to fight strange invading giant things (in NGE, they were angels, in RaXephon, they are "Mulians" (IIRC).  Also, unlike NGE, RaXephon actually EXPLAINS WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON.  It actually explains, and even attempts to get you to sympthize with the antagonists.  Thats a big plus in my book.  Like I said, I felt it a far more enjoyable watch than NGE.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #84 on: 12 Mar 2008, 12:16 »

in terms of recomendations i've noticed that although individual film's are getting mentioned no one seems to have recomended satoshi kon's work as a whole so i'll go ahead and do that
(in case you don't know)
  • perfect blue
  • milenium actress
  • tokyo godfathers
  • paranoia agent
  • paprika

Quote from: pilsner
-- Satoshi Kon directed Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, and the series Paranoia Agent.  I think all of these movies are worth watching, with Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers and Paranoia Agent being among my favorite anime ever.  In all of Kon's movies you're going to see an inquiry into what is real, what is fantasy, how fantasy can twist reality, and also the man loves trannies.  Just loves 'em.

A for taste.  F for reading comprehension.

StarmanJr

« Reply #85 on: 14 Mar 2008, 16:26 »

Ninja Scroll - Both the first move and the short series (I wasnt a huge fan of the second movie).  Predominantly action oriented, but a decent story as well.
that makes sense. the "second movie" is a completely different anime. ninja resurrection was a movie about jubei the samurai, not the crazy mutherfucker ninja jubei from ninja scroll. but come on, it deserves a little more credit. people who hate anime sometimes like ninja scroll for its shocking arterial blood spray filled scenes. and they are constant, which keeps them interested enough because they can not appreciate the drawn out long fucking story of most boring anime.

Gantz - I dunno about this one... Ive watched the first 8 episodes, and Im having an incredibly hard time staying interested in it.  Everything involving the room and Gantz itself is interesting, but the whole subplot with the main character and the girl is awkward and distracting IMO.
pshaw. the kei and kishimoto relationship is ass-grabbingly hilarious. what isn't funny about the sexual tension? the only problem with gantz is that it draws out the action too much. out of nowhere will be splatterville and corpse tsunamis that rape your eyeballs with gore. and then someone will hold a gun in front of another's face for two episodes. other than that, it's a great fucking watch. i mean, come on! the english dubbing is some of the best i have ever heard. A+++ for gantz. give it another shot!
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2008, 16:34 by StarmanJr »

Statik

• Furry furrier
« Reply #86 on: 16 Mar 2008, 22:19 »

I went in to Gantz expecting a bit of sexual tension type stuff, but predominantly focused on their situation (in the room) Blood Tsunamis and such dont bother me, but, as you said, the build up...  to me it just gets tedious.  It wasnt what I was expecting out of the series, and for whatever reason, I just dont really find it all that interesting.  You are trying to tell me that my opinion is somehow wrong.

You seem to be implying that I cannot appreciate a good story...

I didnt think Ninja Scroll 2 was bad, I just didnt like it as much(as the first movie and the short series).  I dont like Ninja Scroll for its massive amount of blood, I like it because I find it appealing, both visually AND narratively (?).

I am confused at your use of bold and italics.  My favorite anime/manga (Berserk) has been going on for about 18 years.  There are few others that have that much content.  So if you are somehow implying that I only like action, and cant appreciate a drawn out story...

Back on topic:
I watched a couple episodes of Gilgamesh, and so far I'm enjoying it.  Its a bit slow, but I enjoy seeing all the references to the actual Epic of Gilgamesh.

Also, I watched 2 more episodes of Burst Angel, and so far I am enjoying it.  Lots of action, but still some interesting plot developments.

Helios05

• Plantmonster
  • Having fun and dark sacrifices!
« Reply #87 on: 19 Mar 2008, 00:40 »

Even though you might not like it, NGE, as has been said. It's a staple classic, still, years later, recieves good reviews, and it has some interesting philosphical points to make if you can get past the whiny bitch Shinji is. I did it, and was glad I did, because the later episodes were the ones to watch.

Your Under Arrest is pretty good, and is into its third season, its a drama about two female cops, and while a lot of moments are exaggerated or silly in typical anime fashion, its still good and has a few real serious moments that make it more than worth it.

Hellsing is a god choice, but it is solely hack and slash em up, no real depth beyond that, but solid for its action.

Sin the Movie, I liked it, though I often find myself the odd-man-out on that one, but that may be because I liked the game it's based off of.

Shuffle! if you need harem/fanservice, but not much else.

Speed Grapher, the first episode or two has some gratutious sex scenes, and there is alot of gore, but the plot is interesting and the social points are deep, and the animation quality is solid. And with the intro song "Girls On Film," how can you go wrong.
"I'm fucking tripping balls! Ask Oak!"
"Bitch be TRIPPING balls!"
WOW player
Server: Zuluhed
Guild: Galactic Alliance
PM Veey or Heavenstrike to join!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #88 on: 19 Mar 2008, 13:47 »

the only problem with gantz is that it draws out the action too much.

The pacing is tortuous but it wasn't that which made me give up on Gantz. It was the fact that it was so massively sexist, it just got too annoying and frankly downright creepy (and not in a good way).

Most of the best stuff I know has already been mentioned but I feel compelled to bring up Tekkonkinkreet. The basic plot is nothing special, two kids end up battling gangsters and proving their close bond of friendship, but the execution is incredible. Visually I've never seen another anime quite like it.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

The Cheesinator

• Plantmonster
« Reply #89 on: 21 Mar 2008, 12:19 »

Anime feels like a guilty pleasure for me. But that said, it's an awesome guilty pleasure.

Cowboy Bebop - only seen a few episodes but I loved them. My torrent is taking a while. Life would be better if more people seeded.
Ghost in the Shell: SAC - Have the first season, seen a few of the second. Obviously good.
Beck - Japanese rock stars that don't dress up like women? Okay! Was on TV, but I ended up seeing it online, undubbed, French subs. A challenge, but a worthy one.
Macross Plus - Visually amazing. Loved every minute of the last part.
Black Lagoon - Pure kickass illegal action.

Anime that I sort of like, but find mildly confusing: Gun X Sword and Last Exile. Mobile Suit Gundom: Seed & Destiny are kind of angsty, but the fight scenes can be cool.

I'd like to see the Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed movies. The new trailer has sparked my interest for the latter.
This calls for a thumbs up.

StreetSpirit

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #90 on: 21 Mar 2008, 12:30 »

Everything Pilsner said plus Monster would fit the bill for well rounded, intelligent anime - cheers to you, Pilsner, for taste.
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #91 on: 21 Mar 2008, 15:29 »

Most of the best stuff I know has already been mentioned but I feel compelled to bring up Tekkonkinkreet. The basic plot is nothing special, two kids end up battling gangsters and proving their close bond of friendship, but the execution is incredible. Visually I've never seen another anime quite like it.

yes yes yes yes yes

StarmanJr

« Reply #92 on: 21 Mar 2008, 17:12 »

frankly downright creepy

speaking of which, anyone else ever seen ichi the killer episode 0? quite possibly one of the cheapest made and yet most fantastically upsetting and macabre anime i have ever witnessed. it is strange to see something animated that makes you turn away, offended. i have not yet read the manga, but the dark side of me that gives the middle finger to children makes me want to.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #93 on: 21 Mar 2008, 18:22 »

I scanned the thread, so I don't think anyone mentioned it, but I was introduced to Death Note by some friends and it's pretty good! It's a pretty good thriller series, if that's your thing. (Synopsis: A Death Note, a Death God's notebook for killing people, falls into the human world and is picked up by a student named Light. He experiments with it and finds that he likes the idea of killing criminals and so he does so en mass. The Death God who dropped the notebook also comes down to Earth because he's bored in his world and thinks Light is a lot of fun. More than that would be spoilers and I haven't gotten that far!)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

StarmanJr

« Reply #94 on: 21 Mar 2008, 21:18 »

I scanned the thread, so I don't think anyone mentioned it, but I was introduced to Death Note by some friends and it's pretty good! It's a pretty good thriller series, if that's your thing. (Synopsis: A Death Note, a Death God's notebook for killing people, falls into the human world and is picked up by a student named Light. He experiments with it and finds that he likes the idea of killing criminals and so he does so en mass. The Death God who dropped the notebook also comes down to Earth because he's bored in his world and thinks Light is a lot of fun. More than that would be spoilers and I haven't gotten that far!)

L will never catch Light.

ever.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #95 on: 21 Mar 2008, 23:35 »

I have watched, in order of enjoyment:
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop Series + Movie
Ghost in the Shell Series + Movies
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Jin-Roh (I didn't like really like this)
Paprika (This was horrible)

Alright.  Since you've seen Samurai Champloo and Bebop then you've really seen it all, anything anyone else recommends you for these series is....off the mark, these series have their own flavour that nothing else can ever touch.

Since you've seen a bunch of Miyazaki's films I'm going to recommend one more: Porco Rosso.  It's about a pig who flies an airplane during WWI, it's a great film, one of Miyazaki's finest.  However there is a director who is considered the "next Miyazaki"  his name is Makato Shinkai.  It's a terrible comparison because Shinkai's films are neither boring nor glaringly flawed.  Check out The Place Promised in Our Early Days, 5 Cm Per Second, or Voices from a Distant Star.  They're all incredible films. 

Some people are choosing to diss Neon Genesis Evangelion. There is a very good reason why it's considered one of the greatest anime series OF ALL TIME.  If you don't believe me check lists and lists.  It took the creators 6 years to create this.  People complain about the angst how Shinji is such a whiny little girl.  If you can't get past that you shouldn't watch 80% of anime out there. 

Tekkon Kinkreet, Gankutsuou, FLCL, Mind Game, and Kemonozume will all visually blow your mind away.  Each one of them takes a radically different approach to what anime is, they're incredibly fun films, the visuals are just absolutely amazing, watch them just for the visuals except in the case of Gankutsuou.  Gankutsuou is almost point for point the adaption of Alexandre Dumas' The Count of Monte Christo, watch it, you will not be dissapointed.

You say that you didn't like Paprika or Jin-Roh.  Personally I thought they were boring as well. Ninja Scroll OR Wicked City both are by the same director and are....essentially the same sort of very violent, bloody film.  Wicked City, however, was the movie that made tentacle rape quite popular...if you're into that sort of stuff.  Someone mentioned Death Note which is....fine for the first 2/3, then it hits a brick wall and dies.  Monster is great, but it really drags in certain areas...anything over 40 episodes tends to do that occasionally. I don't think anyone has mentioned Mushishi but that one is incredible, even just for the art alone. And I'll finish by recommending my personal favourite anime.  Eureka Seven Watch and see how EVERY character is important and how EVERY character changes for better or for worse.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #96 on: 22 Mar 2008, 20:14 »

I just posted this on another thread, but here is a PARTIAL list of what's in my collection.

As a long-time anime lover (got hooked thanks to Akira when it first came out) mine is a long list. A few examples of what's in my collection:

Azumanga Daioh
Big O
The Cat Returns
Crest of the Stars
Giant Robo
Gunbuster
Haibane Renmei
Inu Yasha
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Last Exile
Maison Ikkoku
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Neotokyo
Paranoia Agent
Perfect Blue
Porco Rosso
RahXephon
Serial Experiments Lain
Shamanic Princess
Vision of Escaflowne
Witch Hunter Robin
Wolf's Rain

I will WATCH just about anything, but I am very selective about what I will BUY. So if it's on this list, it's got a strong recommendation from me. Please note, however, that I like different things on this list for different reasons. Giant Robo is full of over-the-top action and larger than life characters. Haibane Renmei, by contrast, is gentle, subtle and slow. A lot of people don't like it because it moves so slowly. I, however, say that it is not only great, it is Miyazaki-great, and although it takes a long time to get where it's going, you will like yourself better as a human being once you allow it to take you there. It's that good.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #97 on: 25 Mar 2008, 13:57 »

Other anime in my collection:

Arc the Lad
Castle in the Sky
Castle of Cagliostro
Ceres
Graveyard of the Fireflies
Magic Users Club
Martian Successor Nadesico (but you have to watch a lot of other anime first to get the in-jokes)
Noir
Porco Rosso
Puss in Boots (featuring a very young animator named Miyazaki)

By the way, since several people compared Evangelion and RahXephon, I must say I've seen both. Evangelion has the advantage of being the first, and it was such a landmark series that it influenced a lot of other robot shows that came afterwards. It single-handedly created the concept of "giant robots used as weapons, but later revealed to be tools to change the nature of reality."

Unfortunately, it hasn't aged well. A lot of shows since have imitated this concept of "giant robots used as weapons, but later revealed to be tools to change the nature of reality," most notably Gasaraki and Big O. As a result, it's become a cliché — so much so that it's rarely a surprise these days once the allegedly "mind-blowing" second half of the series kicks in.

Looking at RahXephon, I must say that it's one of the most shameless of Evangelion imitators. However, it's the best of the imitators, and it's actually an improvement the original. For these reasons:

Better animation quality
Better music
Ensemble cast of believable characters
"Bad guys" are real people, too (At some point you begin to feel sorry for Maya)
A plot that actually makes sense
A happy ending that makes sense
Better pacing — the RahXephon episodes where nothing "happens" are better than the NGE episodes where nothing "happens"
Better pacing — puzzle pieces are revealed over time, and things that seem insignificant at first have more weight on second viewing

By the way, someone came up with a very thorough Web site listing all the similarities between the two shows. Check here if you're interested:

http://evaxephon.com/gallery1.html
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

Butch

« Reply #98 on: 25 Mar 2008, 22:19 »

So, where's the recommendation for Bastard!! among all the awesome suggestions?

And I've only seen two mentions of Berserk and a mere one for Fruits Basket.  How can these beautiful yet drastically different stories get so little love?

StarmanJr

« Reply #99 on: 25 Mar 2008, 23:59 »

And I've only seen two mentions of Berserk

maybe because the animation was low-budget? it's much better in manga.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up