THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Anime Recommendations?  (Read 259361 times)

Butch

Re: Anime Recommendations?
« Reply #100 on: 26 Mar 2008, 11:52 »

Yes, the animation is low-budget and the manga is much better.  Yet the series still stands pretty strong and entertaining on its own and the ending just leads people into reading further into the manga.  It's the perfect way to trap someone into reading further to get the rest of the story.  Marketing genius, I say.

spluk

« Reply #101 on: 26 Mar 2008, 22:15 »

I am probably repeating what alot of people have said, but...
Eureka 7
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Trigun
Gundam Seed
Death Note
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion    -   kinda of like gundam but different (a good different), the second season starts in april (same title + R2). I wonder why nobody else mentioned it...
Appleseed, ex machina
Ghost in the Shell
Vexille
Full Metal Panic

I seem to find that there are 3 types of anime: good, bearable, and bad.
most people agree on a certain set that is "good" and the rest are tossed about between all three catagories at once.
so i guess just stick with the ones mentioned mmost and then try an episode before devoting yourself to watching the whole thing.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #102 on: 27 Mar 2008, 11:46 »

So, where's the recommendation for Bastard!! among all the awesome suggestions?

And I've only seen two mentions of Berserk and a mere one for Fruits Basket.  How can these beautiful yet drastically different stories get so little love?

Fruits Basket is also one I own. As I said earlier, I will watch just about anything, but what I will actually buy is something completely different. So the fact that it's in my collection is about as strong a recommendation you can get. Also, let's give a nod to Kiddy Grade and Fantastic Children.

As for Beserk, it's one of only two anime (not counting the ones that are deliberately dumbed down for American TV, like Pokemon) — one of only two anime I will actually walk out on if it comes on at an anime gathering. The other one is Excel Saga.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

Aminal

« Reply #103 on: 27 Mar 2008, 12:45 »

Uh, I should warn you, whoever said Ebichu only had sexual "innuendo" is mistaken, it has tons of outright ball-slapping-noise-included-fucking.  But they were very accurate about the blood-spattering violence.  Honestly, I like the show.  The cartoon shtupping burned my eyes, but the sheer violence and cruelty made me laugh til my sides cramped and then cry because I'm such a terrible person.  But mostly the laughing.

I also feel like FLCL fits in with your tastes, since you placed Samurai Champloo at the top of your list.  It's easily my favorite anime, though admittedly I haven't seen a lot.  It's pretty, it's hilarious, it got me into The Pillows (great music) and it breaks my heart.  I know it's been mentioned, and you've probably seen it since the thread started.

Um...though I know people are creepy about it, I actually like Inuyasha.  It's the first anime I ever watched.  It had a lot of historical stuff in it (like Champloo) and I like that sort of thing.

« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2008, 11:30 by Aminal »

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #104 on: 27 Mar 2008, 19:12 »

most people agree on a certain set that is "good" and the rest are tossed about between all three catagories at once.
so i guess just stick with the ones mentioned mmost and then try an episode before devoting yourself to watching the whole thing.

Good.....bearable.....and bad?  Wow...clearly you either haven't seen a lot of anime, or the stuff you're watching isn't incredible.  If you don't like the first episode you stop watching?  It took me about 3 episodes to get into Mushishi, and it's one of the best I've seen.  It also took me about 3 episodes to get into Eureka Seven and that IS the best anime that I've ever seen.

ThePQ4

« Reply #105 on: 27 Mar 2008, 19:24 »

Agreed --You can't judge and anime on the first episode. Otherwise, you would never get through the awesomeness that is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya or many others.

Always watch at least three episodes before you decide whether or not it's worth your time.

Ikrik

« Reply #106 on: 27 Mar 2008, 22:39 »

Agreed --You can't judge and anime on the first episode. Otherwise, you would never get through the awesomeness that is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya or many others.

Always watch at least three episodes before you decide whether or not it's worth your time.

That's just cause Haruhi is completely out of order.  Man...I watched that first episode...the video and I was like "wtf?  Did I download the wrong show?  People were telling me this is freaking awesome.".....but it is a great show.  I'm trying to think of other shows that you need to see more than one episode of to really get into.  Some of the shows I've seen are Monster of the Week type of shows (Witch Hunter Robin, Vampire Princess Miyu) and take 3/4 of the show fighting a different monster every episode until they get to a "story." 

MusicScribbles

• John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #107 on: 27 Mar 2008, 23:10 »

Good.....bearable.....and bad?  Wow...clearly you either haven't seen a lot of anime, or the stuff you're watching isn't incredible.  If you don't like the first episode you stop watching?  It took me about 3 episodes to get into Mushishi, and it's one of the best I've seen.  It also took me about 3 episodes to get into Eureka Seven and that IS the best anime that I've ever seen.

Not only that! Good, bearable, and bad are very much what you can use to describe anything! It is like a scale! So, really, this guy is saying nothing insulting, although I gather that he is trying to. Good is like saying something is fun! Bearable is like saying that it is okay. Bad is like saying that something is no fun at all. This is basically how people learn to agree or disagree on certain things.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

spluk

« Reply #108 on: 28 Mar 2008, 06:28 »

well, sorry for that last post...
I am going to try and rephrase that.
Some anime are just above and beyond perfect.  Everybody agrees on which ones those are.
For example, after watching the first episde of Cowboy Bebop you know that it is going to be good.  Some are just that way.
Granted, some take more than one episode, Eureka 7 you said needed three and that's really because the first three where basically built as a 1hr special.
Also, an anime should be fun, are you supposed to be a slave to the anime?
After that, it the anime can still be good, but not everybody likes it.
Fefnir, for example, was rated highly on the anime group that i belonged to so i started to watch it and just could not finish it.
I couln't even get passed episode one, it just seemed to be so bogged down to me.  However, tons of other people liked it.
Sorceror Hunters is really good but i haven't been able to finish watching it, i don't know why.  Eventually i will though.
And then, some anime are just bad.  I haven't seen them but this guy seems to hate them (http://www.needcoffee.com/2007/08/27/five-worst-anime-titles-of-all-time/) Off of the top of my head i can't come up with any becasue a friend usually recommends to me the anime that i watch, not that i always agree with him.  Such as Trinity Blood, i found it scattered and non-sensical with ultimately nothing accomplished but he thought it was really good.
so, i messed up saying you should just watch the first episodes, but besides a few anime that get consistently praised, youl just have to try them for yourself.

muteKi

« Reply #109 on: 28 Mar 2008, 10:22 »

Ah, the problem with the Trinity Blood anime is that because the art was, I felt, incredible, they had to rush to fit a whole lot of storyline in the few episodes they could make.

But yeah, it looks and sounds incredible. I have the soundtrack on my PC. It's very Final Fanatasy, which is not very suprising considering Takahito Eguchi did some of the music from X and X-2 before this project.

I don't know how much of the books the anime covered, but I do know that they tried to cram a lot of stuff in only a little space and as a result it suffered.

You should probably check out the manga or the light novels. I was actually impressed; the books were better written than I might have expected them to be.

Also, because I know a ton of crazy priests, the whole series is absolutely hilarious; there's a layer of almost meta-humor contained in it for me.
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2008, 10:30 by muteKi »

camelpimp

« Reply #110 on: 29 Mar 2008, 21:55 »

Ya know, I have to mention this one because I was so in love with this series when I was younger: Escaflowne. Why doesn't Escaflowne get any love?

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #111 on: 30 Mar 2008, 02:32 »

Ya know, I have to mention this one because I was so in love with this series when I was younger: Escaflowne. Why doesn't Escaflowne get any love?

I mentioned Escaflowne before, only briefly though. The series was lent to me from a friend who highly recommended it. So far I've watched the first three or four episodes and I gotta say, really not my thing. So far it's been a bit choppy with the story, moving somewhere interesting but taking its goddamn fucking time doing it. The characters really aren't all that interesting either, Allen may have been the only thing that caught my interest. I am determined to like this series. The soundtrack is pretty damn tits though.

Ikrik

« Reply #112 on: 30 Mar 2008, 03:04 »

Honestly I've never watched the series, but I was going to download it, then misremembered the name and downloaded Eureka Seven instead...luckiest mistake I ever made in my life.  From what I've heard it's very slow and doesn't really reach it's potential.  I've been hearing a lot of comparisons between it and Gundam....which for me at least isn't a great thing. I'll probably check it out soon....after I finish Dennou Coil.

Hannah

« Reply #113 on: 30 Mar 2008, 07:52 »

I know this has already been said, but I would definitely recommend seeing Paprika and Tekkon Kinkkreet
The first time I saw the previews for these, it was in Japanese, so I had no idea what was going on.
After seeing them in English though, I was totally amazed at how good they were. The art is amazing and the story lines are entertaining, so definitely watch them!

Also a random question: I've been watching death note up until the part where L is killed (for people who haven't watched it yet, I'm sorry for spoiling it  :-P).
Is it worth watching after that or not? L was one of the main reasons I watched the show, so I'm kind of sad that he's gone now

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #114 on: 30 Mar 2008, 20:33 »

Also a random question: I've been watching death note up until the part where L is killed (for people who haven't watched it yet, I'm sorry for spoiling it  :-P).
Is it worth watching after that or not? L was one of the main reasons I watched the show, so I'm kind of sad that he's gone now

Fuck you in your cunt.

brainwrinkle

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #115 on: 30 Mar 2008, 20:37 »

*list, words*

Please note, however, that I like different things on this list for different reasons. Giant Robo is full of over-the-top action and larger than life characters. Haibane Renmei, by contrast, is gentle, subtle and slow. A lot of people don't like it because it moves so slowly. I, however, say that it is not only great, it is Miyazaki-great, and although it takes a long time to get where it's going, you will like yourself better as a human being once you allow it to take you there. It's that good.

Yes, yes, and yes.  Everyone should watch Haibane Renmei, especially if you like anime that is thought-provoking.  Out of the ten or so anime series I've watched, Haibane Renmei is definitely the most interesting and powerful; this is the only anime that I would describe as a masterpiece.

Also, Dennou Coil is pretty good.

Ikrik

« Reply #116 on: 30 Mar 2008, 22:54 »

Fuck you in your cunt.

What, you thought L was going to win?  PFFT.  As soon as L was killed, and I'm NOT sorry for spoiling it, you should have guessed it pretty quickly, the manga and anime should have ended.  I think it got way too popular so they felt like extending it for another 3-4 volumes which was, in my opinion, a terrible decision. 

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #117 on: 31 Mar 2008, 11:27 »

I love it, three pages in, and people are still reccomending that the OP watch things that they have already watched (and whole heartedly reccomending things that the OP didnt like)

I know this has already been said, but I would definitely recommend seeing Paprika snip

Not sure if this is the right community, but these are pretty much the only forums I actually read.
I don't really know much about anime, used to be a hater. But being bored a while ago I decided to checked some out stuff and I liked it, now I am bored again but don't really know what to get.

I have watched, in order of enjoyment:
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop Series + Movie
Ghost in the Shell Series + Movies
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Jin-Roh (I didn't like really like this)
Paprika (This was horrible)  <--------- PAY ATTENTION

Can I get some recommendations based on this? Preferably something in Shinichirō Watanabe's (samurai champloo, cowboy bebop) style.

I realize that the thread has basically become a "Lets talk about what anime we like", but people are still responding as if replying to the OP.
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

Trillian

• Furry furrier
« Reply #118 on: 31 Mar 2008, 13:41 »

Samurai 7 is a really good series produced by GONZO and it is based off Seven Samurai (Kurosawa's movie that I have seen mentioned in here about ten times) so I figured people might be interested in that series.  I really enjoyed it. 

There are a bunch more that I enjoy, but I think I will leave it at that for now.  ^_^
Quote from: zerodrone
When we form our cuddlecore band, can we be like The Kills and get as close to having sex onstage as legally possible?

Last.fm

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #119 on: 31 Mar 2008, 14:04 »

I mentioned Escaflowne before, only briefly though. The series was lent to me from a friend who highly recommended it. So far I've watched the first three or four episodes and I gotta say, really not my thing. So far it's been a bit choppy with the story, moving somewhere interesting but taking its goddamn fucking time doing it. The characters really aren't all that interesting either, Allen may have been the only thing that caught my interest. I am determined to like this series. The soundtrack is pretty damn tits though.

Escaflowne is one of the best damned series EVER MADE. I put it on my list; refer back to the previous page, because it's on the list in Reply #97. (You'll have to look at the letter V, though, because its full title in English is Visions of Escaflowne).

Once I described the show to a group of anime-loving friends, I said, "This is the show that's got everything. Giant robots fighting with swords. Bishonen warriors piloting the giant robots fighting with swords. A high school girls in a romantic triangle with bishonen warriors piloting the giant robots fighting with swords. Add cat girls, music by Yoko Kanno, and a story by Shoji Kawamori, and that's Escaflowne in a nutshell."

One girl said, "You had me at bishonen warriors."
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

Hannah

« Reply #120 on: 31 Mar 2008, 14:45 »

What, you thought L was going to win?  PFFT.  As soon as L was killed, and I'm NOT sorry for spoiling it, you should have guessed it pretty quickly, the manga and anime should have ended.  I think it got way too popular so they felt like extending it for another 3-4 volumes which was, in my opinion, a terrible decision. 

Well, I knew he was gonna lose, but... I still wanted him to live! At least until the end. I mean, it seemed weird that he would die that frackin' early in the show. L was pretty much one of the few entertaining characters in the plot, so the show would probably be kind of dull after that (and apparently I guessed right)

I love it, three pages in, and people are still reccomending that the OP watch things that they have already watched (and whole heartedly reccomending things that the OP didnt like)

Not sure if this is the right community, but these are pretty much the only forums I actually read.
I don't really know much about anime, used to be a hater. But being bored a while ago I decided to checked some out stuff and I liked it, now I am bored again but don't really know what to get.

I have watched, in order of enjoyment:
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop Series + Movie
Ghost in the Shell Series + Movies
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Jin-Roh (I didn't like really like this)
Paprika (This was horrible)  <--------- PAY ATTENTION

Can I get some recommendations based on this? Preferably something in Shinichirō Watanabe's (samurai champloo, cowboy bebop) style.

I realize that the thread has basically become a "Lets talk about what anime we like", but people are still responding as if replying to the OP.

Yeah, but it was also recommended by Gridgm on page 2. So there! *does victory dance*
And I still think Paprika is a really well done, entertaining movie.

« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2008, 14:51 by Hannah »

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #121 on: 31 Mar 2008, 16:54 »

And, if you noticed then, I responded to him in kind.

I just find it silly that someone asked for reccomendations based on a list of things he has watched, and even put in order of preference, and despite the fact that he SPECIFICALLY said he thought paprika was horrible, people were still reccomending it to him.

Another example: People keep reccomending GITS, despite him saying he has seen it.

Its nothing against you personally, as I said, the thread has kind of evolved into a "lets talk about what anime we like" but in contrast, its rather silly to respond to the thread as if replying to the OPs question with "Hey, you should watch a movie you didnt like"
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #122 on: 01 Apr 2008, 02:13 »

Yeah, but it was also recommended by Gridgm on page 2. So there! *does victory dance*

would there be any objections to turning this into a general anime recomendations thread instead of just one for this guy?
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Ikrik

« Reply #123 on: 01 Apr 2008, 15:02 »

would there be any objections to turning this into a general anime recomendations thread instead of just one for this guy?

Well....I would be all for an anime discussions thread because this essentially is a reccomendations thread for everyone even though it started out for one person. 

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #124 on: 02 Apr 2008, 19:47 »

Allen's character has an unfortunate curse that doesn't come up much in the story though. He can never kiss anyone without poking them in the eye with his nose.

If you're already something of an anime person, and enjoy pervy Japanese humor, or can at least appreciate balls-out ridiculous humor, you might like a show called Golden Boy. The six-episode OVA centers on a character named Kintaro Oe who wanders Japan on his beloved bicycle "studying life" (not biology). Be warned though, the show is super NSFW, and while the anime at least never veers far enough to be hentai, if you're curious about the manga, that's basically devolves into porno by the second volume. But maybe It's still funny? I didn't read it.
Bottom line: short, sweet, seriously hilarious.

StreetSpirit

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Type "cookie", you idiot."
    • Last.FM
« Reply #125 on: 03 Apr 2008, 03:08 »

I have to give some props to Genshiken, because I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it yet and it is not only a great otaku's anime, but also hilarious due to the amount of goofy references that are made and also the interesting characters that you get to follow through their nerdy escapades. Cheers.
"Think you've seen it all? Think again. Outside those doors, we might see anything. We could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you come with me... nothing will ever be the same again!"
-The 10th Doctor (doctor who)

Ikrik

« Reply #126 on: 03 Apr 2008, 15:27 »

I have to give some props to Genshiken, because I don't think I've seen anyone else mention it yet and it is not only a great otaku's anime, but also hilarious due to the amount of goofy references that are made and also the interesting characters that you get to follow through their nerdy escapades. Cheers.

I do like Genshiken....but it's definitely not something I would reccomend someone who hasn't seen anything else or someone who doesn't really know much about the anime culture.  I've heard the manga gets REALLY boring after a while though. 

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #127 on: 03 Apr 2008, 20:43 »

The heroine admittedly goes into a Shinji-like break-down, but then she pulls herself together and starts killing space monsters

MILLIONS of space monsters. With J-Pop and fanservice and massive fleets of battlecruisers and lasers and atom bombs flying fucking everywhere.

I rather like Gunbuster.

Man you got my hopes up, but that really kinda actually sucked

Ikrik

« Reply #128 on: 03 Apr 2008, 21:04 »

The heroine admittedly goes into a Shinji-like break-down, but then she pulls herself together and starts killing space monsters

MILLIONS of space monsters. With J-Pop and fanservice and massive fleets of battlecruisers and lasers and atom bombs flying fucking everywhere.

I rather like Gunbuster.

Man you got my hopes up, but that really kinda actually sucked

umm...wow....uhhh to a guy who's only other contribution to this thread has been bashing someone for not understanding Evangelion that's a little hypocritical.  And the only think that's sucky about Evangelion is that Shinji ends up alone in the world with Asuka...the girl who would beat the shit out of him before he could ever touch her...not that he would.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #129 on: 03 Apr 2008, 22:43 »

Did I come off as bashing? Sorry.

In any case, I thought it just wasn't particularly good, just bizarre. I was thinking "Holy SHIT, BILLIONS of aliens destroyed by a giant robot?" but it ended up being mass explosions, all energy weapons and stuff.

What I'm saying is that for an anime robot battle where the casualties exceed millions, it lacked brutality. That said, I'm criticising it outside of context in term of time, but even then you had stuff like Akira. Which didn't even need robots to be be world-destroying and awesome, it was kind of just unashamedly cool. Like Strapping Young Lad's live shows.

In short, Khar got my hopes up.  :-(

frunK

« Reply #130 on: 04 Apr 2008, 02:29 »

Labyrinth of Flames.
I have it on VHS and me and my buddies have a drinking game that gets you loaded faster then an American in Winnipeg(ZING).
You see a panty-shot, you take a shot. recommended everyone has their own drinks because there is a lot of panties in this anime.
Also it's funny as hell.
This inspires me to make a drinking game thread...Think I'll do that.

ThePQ4

« Reply #131 on: 04 Apr 2008, 17:38 »

I don't think anyone has rec'd it yet --but i just finished watching I My Me Strawberry Eggs! And I think it was one of the cutest things I've ever seen!!

Streltsy

« Reply #132 on: 04 Apr 2008, 20:37 »

So has anyone watched this Shigurui anime I mentioned? It was good in a few ways (mostly the art I think) but honestly, fucked up in so many more ways.
Also, lots of thanks to whoever recommended Black Lagoon first, it was absolutely badass.
Trigun = interesting start, but ultimately disappointing

In case you didn't catch it, I did watch FLCL (awesome) last time, so no need to recommend it again, in case you are actually still recommending and not just listing stuff you like.
Gonna move on to 5 Centimeters per Second, Mushishi, and Eureka Seven.

While 'general' threads are fun to post in, problem is that are usually pretty shitty as a read. Eventually almost every post in those type of threads is just a list of favourite stuff instead of dialogue. But I'm not gonna fight it, certainly I got what I came here for, there is plenty of stuff for me to see :).

Edit:
BTW, I also would very much like to know some kind of site for subs for these animes (like some kind of nexus for subs must exist right?). I hate the stupid soft-subs I get sometimes.
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2008, 20:44 by Streltsy »

ThePQ4

« Reply #133 on: 04 Apr 2008, 21:09 »

Just do a general search, or get a torrent. There are a lot of anime-message boards out there that also have links for subbed-downloads.

frunK

« Reply #134 on: 04 Apr 2008, 23:20 »

I My Me Strawberry Eggs!

Sounds like something a lolcat would say if you got it drunk.

ThePQ4

« Reply #135 on: 05 Apr 2008, 08:25 »

Yeah, I don't really understand the title... It's about a guy who tries to get a job as a gym teacher, but the school only hires female teachers, so he dresses as a woman to get the job and then there is a a lot of romance floating around. It can seem a little yaoi/yuri at times, but it's very cute.

Ikrik

« Reply #136 on: 05 Apr 2008, 09:52 »

Cross-dressing and gender-bender anime really, really don't appeal to me at all.  It just feels like a really boring plot-line where all the jokes derive straight from the fact that it's a dude dressing as a girl and trying to fit in or a girl trying to act like a guy.  For me it's like a lot of harem anime (Love Hina especially) where the guy lives with a bunch of girls and they beat him up because they decide to go around undressed all the time. 

brainwrinkle

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #137 on: 05 Apr 2008, 12:09 »

BTW, I also would very much like to know some kind of site for subs for these animes (like some kind of nexus for subs must exist right?). I hate the stupid soft-subs I get sometimes.

I used to hate soft-subs too until I found the Mplayer for Windows pack.  With the correct options turned on, it renders softsubs as well as regular subs.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #138 on: 05 Apr 2008, 12:30 »

As far as anime goes, I've only ever watched Rurouni Kenshin.  Mostly because at the time my sleep schedule got turned around, and I needed something to do while my roommate slept, and a friend recommended it to me.  I'm not going to start watching anything else.  It's alright, but from what I gather, pretty old, and will probably seem weak in comparison to other stuff out there.  It got really formulaic after about 8 episodes, but it was still pretty enjoyable.

Oh, and I did see Spirited Away once.  Better, but it kind of presented its plot a little one-dimensionally.

So don't take anything I say too seriously, because as far as anime goes, I'm not actually a fan, this is just what I've seen.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

frunK

« Reply #139 on: 05 Apr 2008, 21:48 »

Oh, and I did see Spirited Away once.  Better, but it kind of presented its plot a little one-dimensionally.

Spirited Away was only that simple because they wanted to appeal to children as well as adults. It was meant as a modern day fairy tale.

Ikrik

« Reply #140 on: 06 Apr 2008, 18:48 »

Spirited Away was only that simple because they wanted to appeal to children as well as adults. It was meant as a modern day fairy tale.

I will challenge that directly.  ALL of Miyazaki's films are like this.  Every single one of them.  Spirited Away just happens to be his most beautiful film, but all of his films have shallow plots.  Almost all of his films are also directed more to children but have issues that adults take away from them as well.  I say that most are kids films because Princess Mononoke has some....non-kiddy scenes of violence.  But all of his other films have that very annoying kiddy quality.  Like Porco Rosso, Howl's Moving Castle, Laputa....

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #141 on: 06 Apr 2008, 19:54 »

And from what I gather, Howl's Moving Castle was practically lifted from the Hungry City books, which I read, and they aren't that deep either.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Ikrik

« Reply #142 on: 06 Apr 2008, 20:28 »

And from what I gather, Howl's Moving Castle was practically lifted from the Hungry City books, which I read, and they aren't that deep either.

ACTUALLY Hungry City is completely, completely different.  It's steampunk, and it's set in a post-apocolyptic world.....don't really know where you got that connection from.  It's actually based on the fantasy novel by Dianna Wynne Jones.  It was published in 1986 (The first Hungry City novel: Mortal Engines, came out in 2001) 

Calaveth

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #143 on: 07 Apr 2008, 09:01 »

So has anyone watched this Shigurui anime I mentioned? It was good in a few ways (mostly the art I think) but honestly, fucked up in so many more ways.
Also, lots of thanks to whoever recommended Black Lagoon first, it was absolutely badass.

Not sure if it was I, but I'm glad you liked it, Black Lagoon is awesome. Don't miss the second season, called The Second Barrage. If anything, it turns things up a notch.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #144 on: 07 Apr 2008, 13:21 »

ACTUALLY Hungry City is completely, completely different.  It's steampunk, and it's set in a post-apocolyptic world.....don't really know where you got that connection from.  It's actually based on the fantasy novel by Dianna Wynne Jones.  It was published in 1986 (The first Hungry City novel: Mortal Engines, came out in 2001) 

Wherever I read it had Miyazaki saying something about the Hungry City books.  That's all I know.

Saiokuo

« Reply #145 on: 07 Apr 2008, 15:49 »

I recomend a few that have already been said
-Rurouni Kenshin
-Deathnote
-Fullmetal Alchemist
-Witch Hunter Robin
-Azumanga Daioh

...and a few that haven't
-Nana; note-I haven't watched the entire anime series but if they stay exact with the comics there is sex so be aware of that
-Noir; I think it may have been mentioned once but its a great plot once it gets going. Starts kind of slow, though
-.Hack; Any and all. Twilight is far more cutesy while Sign was more angsty but still good
-Cowboy Bebop; Ok, this one might have been said and I missed it but its a classic in my opinion

Ikrik

« Reply #146 on: 07 Apr 2008, 16:00 »

...and a few that haven't
-Nana; note-I haven't watched the entire anime series but if they stay exact with the comics there is sex so be aware of that

From what I know Nana turns terrible around halfway, but before that it's pretty awesome. I watched the first episode and I thought it was pretty cool, just be aware that's it's geared very much towards girls.

-Noir; I think it may have been mentioned once but its a great plot once it gets going. Starts kind of slow, though

Noir is great, but i've only seen a couple episodes.  From what people I know say their main complaint is that the storyline is "too" confusing, which I can understand.  I've heard it being compared to a girl version of Bourne.

-.Hack; Any and all. Twilight is far more cutesy while Sign was more angsty but still good

Hack!  How could I forget Hack?!  This show is....amazing.  It's made by the same people who made Evangelion so you're guaranteed some wtf moments.  But it's absolutely incredible, but if you don't like the first 4 episodes, don't bother watching any further.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #147 on: 07 Apr 2008, 20:44 »

Has anyone mentioned Rosario Vampire yet?  I'm watching it now and so far it is really good.

It's a shounen comedy/romance about a guy who accidentally gets sent to "monster school" and falls in love with a sweet pink-haired vampire who isn't so sweet when she takes off the cross that keeps her in human form.  The animation is really amazing and the story is quite heartwarming and humorous.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #148 on: 08 Apr 2008, 02:54 »

I recomend a few that have already been said
-Rurouni Kenshin
ok let me clarify this  JUST THE OVA's
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

ThePQ4

« Reply #149 on: 08 Apr 2008, 07:38 »

Has anyone mentioned Rosario Vampire yet?  I'm watching it now and so far it is really good

I may have mentioned it back on the first page. We were watching it at my Anime Club, but because of protests from this really loud obnoxious girl about all of the pantie-shots and her big boobs, we stopped watching it just so we didn't have to listen to her bitch anymore. I'm going to get the rest of the season from one of the other guys in the club though 'cause I thought it was really cute too (even though the pantie-shots DID get kind of old after like episode three...) The art is gorgeous though!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up